Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that gave you nightmares?

Tom Snyder

Hello everypony! i want to have a discussion on the games that gave you nightmares, these include horror games of any kind. May it be These include modern games and those created by the fans. There may even be those of you who never had nightmare of them at all and had a friend who did. Whatever you choose, i won't judge neither will anypony here. So let's begin!

The game that scared me the most, would be the game called Smile.Exe. You may laugh at me, but i have a love for anything scary or that gives me those vibes that i love to feel. Playing made me think there was someone watching me as i played, but the game never let's you leave until you finish it. It was created to scare people, which many i watch on youtube gave those faces of "WTF?" It made me laugh, but when i played it, i felt just paranoid.

I had that same nightmare for 2 weeks straight, and never have been the same. 

Edited by Candy Star

One of the video games that have made me scared while sleeping, or trying to, was Five Nights at Freddy's 2. Now that the third one is coming, I'm sure I won't fall asleep for a while. I don't really play scary games, even though I see people play them (I don't have the guts), and that's the only one which has caused me to be frightened without playing or watching it.

One that used to give me nightmares as a kid was Silent Hill 2 (I think it was 2) - I remember my dad used to play it and I'd sit and watch. They had some really freaky monsters, the ones I remember were these zombie-nurse things from a level that was an abandoned hospital or something. Weirdly zombies in general don't really bother me, it was just something about the ones in that game (my sister on the other hand is terrified of zombies, and she blames watching my dad play Resident Evil as a kid XD), I guess?

Another one for Five Nights at Freddy's, at least when I first started seeing it around - I kinda blame myself for that one, though, since I know I'm a wimp who can't play scary games but I still watch videos and stuff of them anyway :P

Okay, this may sound silly, but the original Crash Bandicoot has given me plenty of nightmares. As a matter of fact I still have them to this day. Perhaps the main thing that creeps me out about it is everything's off model. I can't play this game without batting an eye, because everything looks freaky, especially the titular character himself. Not just that, but even little things like some bosses and the Game Over screen make me jittery.

Again, this may be a strange game to be freaked out over, but because of what I listed, I haven't played this game since 2010/2011. I dislike it that much. x_x

• Brohoof 1

All though it may sound silly, Pokémon Red and Blue and Link's Awakening scared the hell out of me years ago. Precisely, a couple glitches in both games.

Link's Awakening had the select warp glitch, where it was possible to zip past screens at the right transition. Well, I tried it at Turtle Rock and ended up in a seemingly endless pattern of rooms with rooms. Then, I tried going right and found the final boss, already glitching out badly during its dialogue, then the game froze with a haunting buzz. I was too petrified to even turn the game back on, and had occurring nightmares for years.

Red and Blue had the Missingno. glitch that traumatized me in my childhood. It wasn't just the random glitch out of nowhere that scared me, it was due to seeing a fossil Missingno. (fossil form Kabutops iirc) that scared me. Imagine being a kid and seeing that for the first time...yeah. 

• Brohoof 1

The Five Nights at Freddy's 3 trailer is a bit frightening. Especially at the end where there's a jumps are in the dark from that golden animatronic. When I go to sleep at night, I kind of imagine the animatronic standing in the darkness of my bedroom waiting to jump out and scare me.

Edited by James A Williams
  • Brohoof 1

"The Cat Lady", during what I now think is the most interesting part of the game. This game is awesome, you just need to get past the fear/nightmare after watching it. Just like real good horror stories that are not only meant to scare.

Yeah, the Mona Lisa part with the cry in the background was terrifying, the fact that I thought it came from her made it really scary. :kindness:

Edited by ConcorDisparate

It's not a horror game but the classic game Max Payne actually got to me in it's introduction of Max coming home to a house with strange graffiti on the wall and walking up stairs only to hear his infant daughter and wife shot to death right as he is standing in front of their bedroom doors. When he walks inside it shows this closeup of the baby in the crib dead and Max flips his lid. The room right next to the baby's room was the room he and his wife shared to which they did another closeup this time with Max on his knees after realizing everything he just lost.

That wasn't the worst of it though, the very worst part was when he was overdosed on the very drug that the men in his home were on at the time that they killed his family. During this hallucinatory dream sequence, you play as Max walking through a seemingly endless maze of the various rooms of his house all while you hear his wife begging and calling his name tearfully and his daughter's crying looping.

After you get past the rooms you come to a pitch black area with nothing but a blood trail to walk on to which you can't see too far in front of you. You have to listen to his baby's crying in order to know which direction to head in. All the while it starts snowing blood. THEN when you finally get to the conclusion of the trip you find out Max blamed himself and it makes the whole event even worse. Max really was never the same again, getting even more depressed and taking even MORE rediculous risks in the sequels Max Payne 2 and Max Payne 3, obviously with both the intention of finding some meaning in his life, and hoping for one of the risks to end it.

There are (sadly) very few games that scare me or disturb me to the point of sleeplesness. This was one of those games that did.

Edited by oPinkeroo4Uo

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time gave me nightmares as a kid, as did Super Mario 64 and the original Super Mario Brothers games. A lot of horror games that Youtuber Markiplier plays give me nightmares especially Five Nights at Freddy's.

There's two in mind.

Resident Evil 5 before fighting the final boss. There was a girl who mutated in a super zombie of super size. I got scared so much I never continued the game, EVER.

Lastly, Dead Space 2. I never played the first so I tried the second one. First stage and NOPE.

Gears of War, the first time playing it with a friend... saw this scary fiendish being that still terrifies me to this day:

beserker.jpg

It wasn't the design of it that frightened me, just what it sounded and acted like, it gave me nightmares for a good week or two.

Edited by Crimsonn

Just listen to this scenario.

Its 2000, your six years old and your mom buys you the sequel to your favourite N64 game "Ocarina of Time."

You play, and never seem to be able to get past the first part of the game.

Its now 11:00 pm, and your in your room when you finally get your ocarina back.

You get your Deku mask and try it out.

The mask animation plays for the first time...

Your Undergarments have been soiled

Nightmares ensue for the rest of your life and you never touch the game again for 5 years...

Sometimes I wondered what the hell nintendo was thinking rating it "E"

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED

Condemned: Criminal Origins and F.E.A.R gave me nightmares when I was younger.

Resident Evil remake on GameCube. 

I've played the P.T. silent hill demo and that didn't get to me as RE did. There was just something so freaky about RE. The moaning of the zombies across dimly lit hallways. It was a wonderfully crafted game. Truly a work of art that summarizes that fear doesn't always need to come from a jump scare, but rather the the buildup. 

And although Resident Evil is famous for it's jump scares, it actually has a lot of moments where it fakes you out and makes you think a jump scare was about to occur. That, to me, is scary and as a result, there were times when I would have those weird nightmares where you don't necessarily wake up and the nightmare is over, but rather those dreams that start and stop constantly throughout the night. That was Resident Evil's remake effect on me.

Majora's Mask freaked me out big time as a kid. Just a glimpse of that moon sent me under my covers. I didn't start playing the game by myself until about 3-5 years ago. That's not going to stop me from getting the 3D remake next week.

I've only ever had a nightmare related to a video game ONCE in my life. It was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 for the original Xbox. Now, I enjoyed the game very much. It's basically Star Wars with real-time RPG elements, for the people who haven't heard of it. I was a little younger when I played it as well, so it isn't as recent as some of the others on here.

It was in a swamp/forest level, if I can remember correctly. There was one particular enemy, a tiger of some sort... a sabre tooth one at that, if I can remember also... Anyway, my first ever encounter of one startled me as it came out of nowhere, but I quickly got over it and slayed a few more with no bother. I played for a few more hours before I went to bed.

For some reason... I had a nightmare where I was walking through my house, then suddenly got pounced out of nowhere by a tiger stright from the same game that night. I say straight from the game because it was the EXACT SAME creature that could be found in the game, same body patterns and facial features and everything. It was really scary and out of nowhere, so I quickly woke up in fear.

The only video game related nightmare of mine... And it wasn't one that scared me before I went to bed... Weird, huh? :lol:

• Brohoof 1