476 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 4 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed the season 5 opening episodes! ^~^ The concept was interesting, and the story made for a good watch!

I don't know if i'm the only one, but i couldn't get Admiral Ackbar out of my head when Twilight shouted "IT'S A TRAP!" ^_^

Anyway, great episodes, and an awesome start to season 5!

• 4 weeks later...

I think it would be great if we could have a Saving Private Ryan type of movie about the alternate future where Equestria is at war with the Crystal Empire.

Aw crap, I posted in the wrong thread about an episode involving Starlight Glimmer that has "Cutie" in the title.

• 1 month later...

I dont know if anyone felt less neutral when watching this first timer for Starlight Glimmer in this first 2 episodes but after watching the finale I think she's adorable. Do I like her more than Twilight? Maybe I do, cause she's powerful and cool, not such a bookworm.

• 1 month later...

One thing I noticed about the episode. It seemed to focus a little much on the removal of cutie marks and not on other differences. It did stress the fact that cutie marks lead to differences, which is true, but think about the Mane Six's disagreement just before they had muffins. That seemed to be more due to their personalities than to their cutie marks. Sugar Belle does mention different opinions leading to jealousy and bitterness, etc., but would removing cutie marks be the solution to remove those different opinions? I honestly don't think so...

So...do you think the episode may have placed a little too much importance on cutie marks alone?

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If I could rewrite this episode, it would take place a few mouths after Sunburst left to the Canterlot School for Gifted Unicorns. Starlight becomes angry and unleashes a powerful spell that nearly destroys her village. The frighten ponies bagged her to stop and say they will do anything she wants them to do. She demands everypony to give up their cutie marks, lock them inside a cave and that only she can use them if she desires to. She also wants everypony to always think happy thoughts, or she send them to a far off desert. When the mane six arrive, Starlight learns that the princess of friendship, Twilight Sparkle, represents the element of magic. She comes with a plan to steel her cutie mark, allowing her to use the time traveling spell, so she can stop Sunburst from getting his cutie mark. In the end, Starlight learns that forcing others to be her friend isn't true friendship and she becomes Twilight's student, after she is done being grounded.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Still to this day, this episode had always intrigued me. It's very different and it's really surprising to see how this initially sets up for Starlight's future. The origins of Starlight Glimmer is still really murky and her ideology really pushed the envelope in what this show stands for. It's pacing, set-up, tension, and idea is the reason why this particular episode is one I often look back to.

• 4 months later...

Re-watching this episode, I'm reminded just how much promise parts of it had, especially that ending. Here, new characters were able to help the mane six with something, and that was an idea I had hoped the season was going to delve further into. Alas, it was usually the other way around. 

Anyway, this one still stands out just for how strange it is. I'd still argue that this is the most disturbing episode of the entire show, and a lot of the thrill of it comes from that fact. The opening of part 2 still sends chills down my spine. Lot of solid gags too, but it's all the creepy stuff which really sticks out. Always wondered what would happen had the mane six not exposed Starlight...

But the characterization here is also pretty rocky, and nearly everyone is an exaggerated caricature. The traits which are taken away by the equalization feel superficial to the point that I'm not entirely sure why things like Applejack's "countryisms" even vanished, Fluttershy's too naive, Dash is too reckless, Pinkie's slightly too dense and random, and Rarity's basically just reduced to fashion. Starlight is a lot more sincere than I remember, but her vocal delivery and some of her lines make her motivations confusing. It's pretty obvious even this early that something in the past led her down this road, though. The characters are still a lot of fun, though. 

Also, what's this episode even about? There's a handful of intriguing threads here, most notably the idea that differences don't ruin friendships, but while it's possible kids might need to be told that, the actual events of this episode seem like a very roundabout way of communicating that. Does this kids' show really feel the need to warn of the dangers of cults? So weird. 

Score:

Entertainment: 9/10

Characterization: 7/10

Themes: 7/10

Story: 8/10

Overall: 78/100

• 6 months later...
On 4/7/2016 at 1:40 PM, PacificGreen said:

One thing I noticed about the episode. It seemed to focus a little much on the removal of cutie marks and not on other differences. It did stress the fact that cutie marks lead to differences, which is true, but think about the Mane Six's disagreement just before they had muffins. That seemed to be more due to their personalities than to their cutie marks. Sugar Belle does mention different opinions leading to jealousy and bitterness, etc., but would removing cutie marks be the solution to remove those different opinions? I honestly don't think so...

So...do you think the episode may have placed a little too much importance on cutie marks alone?

That's actually one of the problems I had with this episode. The episode (and others) says that cutie marks represent everything about its pony, but that doesn't make sense since the CMC didn't always have cutie marks and had their own distinct personalities and thus conflicts. And that can be applied to every other pony since they were fillies at one point. So no, removing cutie marks wouldn't help Starlight's cause, but the episode probably doesn't know that.

It's also weird that when the Mane 6 lose their cutie marks, they also lost some of their inherent abilities. Like when Applejack lost her "countryisms". Did she really need her cutie mark for that? Rarity lost hers, and she couldn't critique designs, but her cutie mark related to finding gems. Fashion design was her job, and cutie marks don't always directly connect with jobs as her case shows. She could just as easily have been a miner just based on her talent.

And I thought abilities and talent came before and determined the cutie mark, but episodes like this have it the other way around for some reason. So if they lose their cutie mark, they shouldn't lose their abilities. But it looks like the show has gone with the other way around if recent episodes like "A Royal Problem" are anything to go by.

• 2 months later...

one of my fav episodes honestly since I do love the trope of everyone trying to be equal and being boring and dull in the process I'm not sure why I just always have and I think the mane 6 losing there talent was quite an interesting thing to see and I hope something like this comes back in future seasons maybe on a larger scale and someone following Starlights old philology 

One has to wonder how Starlight Glimmer would handle a non-pony coming into her village. Some options would probably be to try to make them leave, imprison them, or brainwash program them with magic. They wouldn't have a cutie mark for her to easily remove and replace. 

• 2 weeks later...

I liked this Two-Parter, even though after the Season 4 Final and the Rainbow Rocks Movie, i was disappointed that there was neither a final fight nor a big music number, so this two parter felt a bit empty. But i still liked the evil character of Starlight and that a Map System brings them to new places, wherever help is needed, is a pretty good Idea.

The scene, in which Starlight talked with the phones and told everyone, how they should act, reminded me of the game Metal Arms - Glitch in the System, in which the Droids get captured by evil Robots and get imprisoned in a new build town, in which there is also the leader, who talks with megaphones to everyone and tells them the rules. Even though this random fact is probably useless for my opinion here. XD

• 6 months later...
(edited)

The only big issues here are that Fluttershy feels too naive in the first part and the equal sign cutie marks are confusing. They apparently don't completely change the pony's personality as the town was able to turn on Starlight with the equal sign cutie marks, so what's their point? Fluttershy is still shy with the equal sign, she just can't talk to animals. Applejack still has a similar personality, she just can't do countryisms and isn't as strong. The only one who really changes is Pinkie.

I can still ignore all of that because the rest of the episode is fantastic. Starlight is a very effective villain and much more enjoyable than Tirek. There's a great lifeless atmosphere to the town and there's some great comedy. The story is at least competent aside from those issues and I like the cult theme.

Also, I think the stick Starlight used to take away cutie marks should've been a magic stick. It just being Starlight's magic makes her seem a bit too powerful.

Score: 9/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A very unique episode for sure, but wasn't too interesting for me.

I didn't hate the concept itself, as I tend to like things that are new. What I didn't like was the lack of action, jokes, or anything interesting in general. This 2-parter felt as if it would've been just as fine if it were a 20-minute episode.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Starlight's philosophy is inherently broken. She says that if everyone's cutie marks are the same, everyone will be the same. Even without the mane six going to the village, this philosophy is broken by Starlight herself. By being the leader, she is making herself better than the rest and thus different. And as the episode goes on, more examples of this come up. Some ponies want to see their cutie marks again while others don't. That's a difference while they all have the same cutie mark. The mane six get the equal cutie marks and still try to resist. Differences with the same cutie mark. Starlight's philosophy is so broken that it makes the entire story unbelievable. How could none of the townsponies have noticed this? It's not like Starlight changed their personalities. If she did, those ponies going to the mane six to see their cutie marks wouldn't have been able to do that. In a better episode, the audience would be able to see where Starlight is coming from. But right from the start, the audience knows that Starlight's philosophy makes no sense.  

On top of that, the equal cutie marks are vague in what they do. They're not what changes the ponies' personalities since the mane six still try to escape yet they also change Pinkie's personality. The equal signs marks get rid of Applejack's country-isms yet don't get rid of her accent. They keep the mane six from running in the climax yet they have been running with the equal sign marks before. This makes the equal marks seem pointless outside of a town symbol. If they were just a town symbol, that would be fine, but the episode tries to make them actually effect the ponies in some way. It's messy.

But with all of that, there are some good things here. I like Starlight's introduction as a villain. She's creepy and fun enough to watch. And there are good jokes too. Not a lot of good jokes, but there are a couple. Pinkie is finally funny again so that's nice to see. And the atmosphere is great. The lifelessness of the town is captured wonderfully and stuff like the equalization house the mane six are put in are effectively creepy. If only the story was better.

Score: 4/10

On 1/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, bigbertha said:

Starlight's philosophy is inherently broken. She says that if everyone's cutie marks are the same, everyone will be the same. Even without the mane six going to the village, this philosophy is broken by Starlight herself. By being the leader, she is making herself better than the rest and thus different. And as the episode goes on, more examples of this come up. Some ponies want to see their cutie marks again while others don't. That's a difference while they all have the same cutie mark. The mane six get the equal cutie marks and still try to resist. Differences with the same cutie mark. Starlight's philosophy is so broken that it makes the entire story unbelievable. How could none of the townsponies have noticed this? It's not like Starlight changed their personalities. If she did, those ponies going to the mane six to see their cutie marks wouldn't have been able to do that. In a better episode, the audience would be able to see where Starlight is coming from. But right from the start, the audience knows that Starlight's philosophy makes no sense.  

On top of that, the equal cutie marks are vague in what they do. They're not what changes the ponies' personalities since the mane six still try to escape yet they also change Pinkie's personality. The equal signs marks get rid of Applejack's country-isms yet don't get rid of her accent. They keep the mane six from running in the climax yet they have been running with the equal sign marks before. This makes the equal marks seem pointless outside of a town symbol. If they were just a town symbol, that would be fine, but the episode tries to make them actually effect the ponies in some way. It's messy.

I think you're actually hitting on the exact point that the writers were trying to make with this episode.  The episode is a very direct take on the concept of communism, and has strong references to "Animal Farm" and other allegorical works about communist society.  It is, in my opinion, the core strength of the episode's story that Starlight is artificially trying to impose "equality" on her subjects in the most ironic of ways - by wielding power over them while trying to make herself look like one of them.  The fact that (a) this doesn't actually work, and (b) Starlight is caught in her ruse and immediately turns villainous in an attempt to keep her power, show just how flawed her plan really is.

MLP has already established multiple times before that one's cutie mark directly impacts their abilities and desires.  Having a cutie mark changed seems to change the pony's behaviors.  We saw this when Applebloom got lots of false cutie marks all over her body, essentially forcing her to do everything the mark suggested.  When the Mane 6 had their cutie marks swapped around due to Twilight messing up a spell (just before she got her wings), everyone was TRYING to do each other's jobs, and badly.  In this episode, having everyone become an "equal sign" seemed to remove their ability to do anything well, which matched Starlight's propaganda of "to succeed is to fail", etc.

The thing to understand about communist power is that, if you're the ruler, you have to convince your subjects that you're one of them.  Once you've sufficiently done that, you then convince them to follow your way of thinking, and then you reinforce that more and more.  You turn your subjects against each other, which reinforces the group-think mentality that you want.  So, publicly, everyone does think the same way.  But of course, "underground", they may not think that, and may quietly plot a rebellion.

Unbelievable as it might seem, this story is a rather accurate retelling of how many communist regimes in the past have actually failed due to civilian uprising.  It of course involves magic and magical ponies and such, but that's why it's called allegory.  And as a kid's show, it has to tell the story in a kid-friendly way, which means making the story simplistic, and making it super obvious who the bad guy is and why they're doing it.  In reality, such moves are far more subtle and pervasive, and that's why they actually work to such a degree that they have throughout history.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

The best 2 parter for me those far, and one of, if not the darkest episodes in the show. Starlight is the most realistic major villain in the series and a very creepy one. She is impulsive but when she is calm she is very calculative and tactical. She is stubborn and vert efficient. The mane six can't defeat her alone and relies on the townspeople for help. unlike the other villains they beat her without relying on the elements or some powerful magic, which is a nice change for once.  10\10