71 users have voted

1. 1. Star Wars or Star Trek?

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
    • Star what?
    • Both

Why do people want to make you choose???   :(

vLu5o.jpg

I tried to get away ... but it pulls me back in!

Those that know me closely know I have created, owned, and Administrated Star Wars forums for most of my adult life.

link?

Edited by Fluttershutter
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, just had another thought on shields.  In 'Star Trek: Generations', the Klingon ship was able to defeat the Enterprise-D by tuning their torpedoes to match the Enterprise's shield frequency, which allowed the torpedoes to pass right through the shields and blow holes in the hull.  if the shields don't block physical objects, why would they need to do that?

Well, I don't have an answer for that one, but I will state that the Star Destroyer (well any ship from the Star Wars universe) has Shift Shields that serve a similar purpose to the Navigational Deflector Dish, but also halt small (mainly torpedo sized) harmful objects. Also, don't you think it would be feasible for the crew on the Star Destroyer to tune their concussion missiles to the frequency of the shields on the Prometheus as well? The only problem I could see with that is that the two ships have vastly different (I don't neccisarily mean better) technology. Another problem with Star Trek sheilds is this

ShieldStatus.jpg

Their Shields wear down after being hit, and when the shields hit zero, the prometheus is in trouble (not in picture) whereas in Star Wars, shields are simply on or off, they don't wear down during battle (Unless you played Empire At War, where that idea is thrown out the window), and stay on until the ship enters an atmosphere. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED
  • Brohoof 2

Being on this threads reminds of the good (sort of :P ) ole days back on the Spacebattles.com forums; that being the first tru online community I participated in back in 2000. ^^

Too bad the ICS has been Trek vs. Wars debates largely irrelevant...

• Brohoof 2

lso, don't you think it would be feasible for the crew on the Star Destroyer to tune their concussion missiles to the frequency of the shields on the Prometheus as well?

I do not think so.  The only times in Trek this happened were as mentioned before in 'Generations', and the Klingons were able to do it by kidnapping Geordi, rigging his visor to send them visual signals from inside Enterprise, and they actually SAW a readout of the ship's shield frequency.  (that whole battle was crap, though.  Geordi should have just changed the frequency, and problem solved.  but the writers wanted the 'D' to die so they could introduce the 'E' in the next movie, so yeah....)

other instance was when Voyager had to adapt its shields to block alien chroniton torpedoes.  They were only able to match the frequency by scanning a torpedo that did not detonate and was suck in the hull.

• Brohoof 2

other instance was when Voyager had to adapt its shields to block alien chroniton torpedoes.  They were only able to match the frequency by scanning a torpedo that did not detonate and was suck in the hull.

Yes, but after a while, as I stated earlier, the Shields on the Enterprise D (or any other Federation ship for that matter) will degrade as they are attacked. All the Star Destroyer would need to do is fire on it with everything they got for a couple minutes, and as soon as those shields go down, the Promethius would look like the surface of Taris after the Sith Bombardment of 3956 (BBY of course)

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED
  • Brohoof 2

I was at little school when Star Wars came out. I wouldn't say I had a favourite, but the first series of start trek had teleporters because shuttle shots were expensive, Star Wars one was pretty tight on money, and so was my other favorite Serenity. The pattern seems to be that more cash doesn't make good viewing, but folk passionate and stubborn about making the entertainment they like is a good start point :)

Serenity interested me as it was the first sci-fi I had seen without aliens?. We were all blown away by Star Wars at school, but the comparison was Space 1999, and you couldn't tell what that was about!

• Brohoof 2

Promethius would look like the surface of Taris after the Sith Bombardment (3956 BBY).
  haha, nice one!

And I already agreed to that.  My point is that Prometheus would be able to survive long enough to simply out-fly the Destroyer, get behind it, and disable its mane engines.  Once it can't maneuver, they could take out key areas/systems.  Also, being able to use warp to jump in and out of the Destroyer's range would limit how much fire Prometheus would take.  Again, with ranges just below 300,000 km, it could just warp in and fire off torpedoes without even dropping to sublight....

• Brohoof 2

And I already agreed to that.  My point is that Prometheus would be able to survive long enough to simply out-fly the Destroyer, get behind it, and disable its mane engines.

not sure if Mane was a mistake or intentional... moving on

The Star Destroyer has Gravity Well generators (albeit small ones, not the massive ones on the Interdictor Class Star Destroyer) which effectively make enemy torpedoes useless, and faster-than-light travel impossible. One disadvantage is that it cant fire its own torpedoes, and that it uses so much energy, that they cant fire their various Turbo-Laser batteries either.

As much as i would like to discuss the sub light speed of a Star Destroyer, I cant due to the fact that the actual value for a MGLT (Megalight is the ironically named Star Wars unit for Sub-light Velocity) is highly debated amongst us at the Cantina. 

But now were at a stale-mate,  because you cant use your Warp Drive, or your torpedoes, and all you have left is phasers that get blocked by my shields.  But I cant fire at you because of my Gravity Well Generator not being energy efficient. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED
  • Brohoof 2

not sure if Mane was a mistake or intentional... moving on

dang, i keep doing that!  yes, a funny mistake  :)  i swear ever since getting into mlp i have to keep correcting myself from 'mane' instead of 'main', lol 

in the Voyager episode 'Dragon's Teeth', we DO see Voyager firing both phasers AND torpedoes from within a planet's atmosphere, torpedoes even while the ship is landed (her rear launches on on the back-top of the neck).  So gravity doesn't effect them.

Also, in 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home', Kirk and crew jump to warp in a Klingon Bird-of-Prey while still within Earth's atmosphere, right out of a cloud bank.  And in Trek III, Kirk takes the Enterprise to warp from Earth's orbit.  Clearly gravity wells do NOT prevent warp drives from operating.  So, we can still use all our weapons AND warp drive system in atmosphere and in space.   

(and the argument that the klingon ship was designed to land on a planet doesn't work either, cause so was Voyager....)

Edited by nx9100
  • Brohoof 3

in the Voyager episode 'Dragon's Teeth', we DO see Voyager firing both phasers AND torpedoes from within a planet's atmosphere, torpedoes even while the ship is landed (her rear launches on on the back-top of the neck).  So gravity doesn't effect them.  

The Gravity Well Projector (sorry did I say generator?) creates an Interdiction Field, which kind of like (for lack of a better term) a really big tractor beam. The field is also in the shape of a huge spinning vortex. Concussion Missiles have been fired in a planets atmosphere without complaint, so "natural" gravity doesn't affect them either. However, the "gravity" generated by the Interdiction field causes the missiles to careen out of control. In one case, the missiles made a complete "u-turn." 

Star Destroyers are also capable of landing as well (albeit it would need a clear 2 km by 2 km flat spot), and actually have faster sub-light speeds in atmospheres (only if their shields are up though). One of the main functions of a Star Destroyer, other than being a Capital-Ship for an Armada, was transporting large armies to and from different planets. 

Edited by DATA EXPUNGED
  • Brohoof 2

The Gravity Well Projector (sorry did I say generator?) creates an Interdiction Field, which kind of like (for lack of a better term) a really big tractor beam. The field is also in the shape of a huge spinning vortex. Concussion Missiles have been fired in a planets atmosphere without complaint, so "natural" gravity doesn't affect them either. However, the "gravity" generated by the Interdiction field causes the missiles to careen out of control. In one case, the missiles made a complete "u-turn." 

I sit corrected.  Was operating under the belief that the gravity well projector simple re-created a planet-like gravity well.  Based on your info, you are correct, torpedoes would also be useless in such a field.  (however, as Harry Kim did to a borg scout ship, a properly transported torpedo right on top of the projector would take it out.  but that would come down to crew ingenuity, not ship specs, so we'll leave that out, lol)

• Brohoof 3

Personally I prefer Star Wars, I just find it a lot more exciting because in my opinion Star Trek can easily get boring for me.

I will probably get a lot of rage directed towards me now.  :sunny:

Sorry it's just my "opinion". :rarity:

• Brohoof 4

@@Dawning Demon, no, feel free to voice your opinion!  that's what we're here for!

and yes, I'll be the first to admit that Wars can be more exiting and fast-paced then Trek.  That is part of the big difference between them.  action-fantasy (wars) vs drama-adventure (trek).  like how I find (american) football borning, yet i'll sit and watch cars drive in circles for 3 hours, lol. 

• Brohoof 5

@@Dawning Demon, no, feel free to voice your opinion!  that's what we're here for!

and yes, I'll be the first to admit that Wars can be more exiting and fast-paced then Trek.  That is part of the big difference between them.  action-fantasy (wars) vs drama-adventure (trek).  like how I find (american) football borning, yet i'll sit and watch cars drive in circles for 3 hours, lol.

I'm glad that this forum has reasonable people on it...if this was YouTube I think my inbox would be spammed full of hate right now. :eww:

• Brohoof 3

.if this was YouTube I think my inbox would be spammed full of hate right now

in the spirit of the topic of this thread...

My-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony

• Brohoof 5

however, as Harry Kim did to a borg scout ship, a properly transported torpedo right on top of the projector would take it out.  but that would come down to crew ingenuity, not ship specs, so we'll leave that out, lol

Exactly, Now if we were discussing whether or not an Imperial or Federation Crew would win under even circumstances, id defiantly side with Picard-&-Friends  over an Imperial Crew, well maybe not Admiral Firmus Piett.

PS. Sorry about the belated response, the power went down for a few hours. 

• Brohoof 2

I do not think so.  The only times in Trek this happened were as mentioned before in 'Generations', and the Klingons were able to do it by kidnapping Geordi, rigging his visor to send them visual signals from inside Enterprise, and they actually SAW a readout of the ship's shield frequency.  (that whole battle was crap, though.  Geordi should have just changed the frequency, and problem solved.  but the writers wanted the 'D' to die so they could introduce the 'E' in the next movie, so yeah....)

Oh Yahweh... The Year of Hell! o.o

• Brohoof 2

Star Destroyers are also capable of landing as well (albeit it would need a clear 2 km by 2 km flat spot), and actually have faster sub-light speeds in atmospheres (only if their shields are up though). One of the main functions of a Star Destroyer, other than being a Capital-Ship for an Armada, was transporting large armies to and from different planets. 

I do not believe that the Imperator(Imperial)-class Star Destroyers are capable of landing.  It was never shown in the films, and I don't remember it being mentioned in any books (correct me if wrong).  also, don't recall seeing any landing equipment in the ships as depicted in the Cross Sections books.  However, the older (and smaller) Acclamator- and Venator-classes ARE capable of landing, and other small destroyers can operate in atmosphere, such as the Victory-class.

In comparison, the only Starfleet ships that I know of capable of planetary landing are the Intrepid-(show in show), Defiant*-, and Nova*-classes.  Also, many alien ships can land, most famously the Klingon Bird-of-Prey, as shown in 'Star Trek III'.

(*wasn't shown, but their Master System Displays shown in the shows DO depict landing struts inside the hulls, so it is assumed they can as well)

I'm more of a Star Wars type guy, it's always just had a more interesting Universe to me personally, particularly its Expanded Universe.

Not to say I haven't loved Star Trek, although I forgo the usual Original Series vs Next Generation lark and say Voyager was my favorite. (Yeah, yeah.. shoot me. :kindness: )

End of the day, they both hold a special place in my heart, but I feel Wars wins out just that little bit more.

• Brohoof 2

I forgo the usual Original Series vs Next Generation lark and say Voyager was my favorite. (Yeah, yeah.. shoot me. )

Who's better, Kirk or Picard?  Answer: Janeway!  

I grew up with Voyager, and only later got into the other shows.  so yeah, little biased, lol.

• Brohoof 2