Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv There is no good Star Wars movie

Lithophila

That is absolutely not true. I may not like James Cameron's Avatar for instance, in fact I felt outright insulted by it, but to call it a bad movie would just be dishonest of me. It's not without elements that make a good film even if I don't find the piece as a whole enjoyable.   On the flipside, I quite enjoy Michael Bay's Transformer films but they consist of a laundry list of bad movie making decisions even if I find some elements make them worth it.   There is such a thing as good art and bad art. Bad art insults its audience and does nothing to enrich their lives. Good art treats its audience with respect and try's to make an impact on them or illicit some kind of emotional reaction.   So called "popcorn movies" can be good art even if there aspirations are just entertainment if they are well made. Die Hard may not change anyone's life, but it certainly does better as an action movie than On Deadly Ground. Evidence to that, I can guarantee you that more people completely at random know about Die Hard, even if they've never seen it, than On Deadly Ground.

I meant that more in the line of "someone's bad is someone else's good".

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure of what you mean with "enrich". And I can imagine a movie that is enjoyable to you, but does nothing for me and vice-versa. We can see this sort of effect all over this here forum when people are talking about MLP-FIM episodes, in the whole or even isolated parts of them. I also can imagine a movie, or book or painting that makes more accessible to a broader audience some information about real-life events and help them gain an understanding, but this really doesn't much to do with the perceived quality of the work, and has more to do with the person's own interest in absorbing information and allowing himself to be touched by whatever work of art.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

That's the reaction you typically have when you live with someone who only owns the prequel trilogy. 

Literally no difference though. "Pew pew" But if thats what people think  :P 

Edited by Lithophila

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Think of it like MLP FIM. The show has been positively received and has a large audience. There are people who dislike it, but it's a succesful series nonetheless. Same thing applies to the Star Wars saga.  It may have its detractors, but it's been rightfully  considered one of the greatest franchises of all time still. Likewise, not everybody likes the Godzilla movies as i do.

Edited by Dino-Mario

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Just like how some don't like the Star Trek franchise in general. I love the Star Wars movies, though I haven't seen shows like the Mandalorian or Andor because I don't like using my money on streaming services.

I was aware of this topic when it was posted, but I didn’t jump in because I didn’t feel the need to take the OP down a peg. I used to run a fairly large Star Wars RP forum, and have written Masters level Theses on both the accidental and intentional genius of this fantasy epic. 

Also, Star Wars shares more in common with Le Morte d’Authur than Stranger in a Strange Land.*

*How do you say “Star Wars is not Science Fiction” without saying “Star Wars is not Science Fiction”

• Brohoof 1

I've only watched the third movie of the prequels and the first movie of the new trilogy. Also, some of clone wars and the mandalorian. As well as playing a few star wars related games that I actually enjoyed. Like Jedi academy, KotoR and Battlefront. But I remain neutral. For I have renounced the force and the force has renounced me.

10 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

I've only watched the third movie of the prequels and the first movie of the new trilogy. Also, some of clone wars and the mandalorian. As well as playing a few star wars related games that I actually enjoyed. Like Jedi academy, KotoR and Battlefront. But I remain neutral. For I have renounced the force and the force has renounced me.

While getting off topic, please say :(you got your hooves on The Old Republic (2011).  

On 2023-03-11 at 9:58 PM, ZiggWheelsManning said:

3 different movie trilogies:scoots:  

We've all gotta pick a side:sunny:  

I will choose the light side of the Force, hence, I will embrace Star Wars episodes 1-6. The rest I'll leave to the Sith who made them. 

• Brohoof 1

I mean, I've heard people say that IV and V were the only good ones, but I've never heard anyone say that they all suck. :p

Anyways, as much as I like SW, the only movies I actually liked were the OT and Revenge of the Sith. I did enjoy Rogue One, but I haven't seen that since it came out.

3 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Rogue One had a lot going for it:kirin:  

This topic is basically saying there are no good Star Wars movies, so it would be easy to say Rogue One can’t be a good movie since it is referencing every little nostalgia moment from the very first movie of Star Wars. Meaning, if you didn’t like the first movie, or you never saw it, Rogue One can’t be any good.

I like Rogue One, but I like Star Wars.

• Brohoof 1

The first six are good but I’m a diehard Legends fan and prefer the original book timeline. Disney should have just continued what we already had and set the new trilogy after Sword of the Jedi instead of axing it. Of course it’s really a no win because there’s a good chance we EU fans would probably feel the movies weren’t as good as the books. They could have at least kept the EU books going  as a parallel canon though.