How did your OC originate?/How did you come to an idea for your OC?

Tha Jster

As the topic name states, how did you come across a thought for your OC/Ponysona?

How did you come up with things like:

- Appearance

- Abilities

- Personality

- And other things you can possibly think about!

Also how did you even begin to start of an OC/Ponysona, did yah do it for RP sake or just for fun thoughts, maybe for extra fun, do you use your OC/Ponysona often and for things like PC avatar/backgrounds?

I`m really interested in hearing your OC`s/Ponysona`s Orgins!

My oc is really based on myself. When I created her (pink pony in icon), I wanted a avatar that could represent me in the pony forums, and in rpgs. Her hair, eye colour, and piercings are like me. 

Several years ago, I took Astronomy in college for a fun class, and it turned out to be my special talent in real life. I ended up loving it and having a knack for it. So my Oc's talent of astronomy is based on my own personal discovery. I also based my oc on both the positive and negative aspects of my own personalty, only exaggerated. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

- Appearance

Well that came from my friend and former girlfriend. She's an artist and I asked her to draw "me as a pony." Knowing me better than I know myself, she came up with a great template that evolved from artist to artist until it became what you see in that avatar box.

- Abilities

Well aside from the given of walking on clouds, flying, and controlling the weather that comes with being a pegasus, Steel is a swordpony. His weapons of choice are two pegasus wing sabres, swords that are "worn" along the wings. I got the idea that the pegasus tribe, being the most martially minded of the three original tribes and with their Hellenistic inspiration, would naturally have a kind of sword-like weapon.

This comes from my real life study of sword play. Oh yes, this is no flight of fancy, I actually do this as a hobby. Unlike in my actual life though, my skills come in more handy in Equestria.

- Personality

Well he's me. If you're asking for specific personality traits, he's chivalrous, polite, and above all sincere. However, he's also quick to anger, judgmental, and very gullible. What can I say? I'm not perfect.

Well he's best friends with and an employee of Fancypants. This reflects his status as one of my absolute favorite characters of the show and how those I'm closest with tend to be older gentleman, teachers and mentors as such. I've been called "an old soul" by some.

He's also deferent pony to the Princesses. This is meant to reflect my deep religiousness, but because such is only subtextual in the show, it's more a vague kind of spirituality to the sun and moon and their Earthly wardens.

Also how did you even begin to start of an OC/Ponysona, did yah do it for RP sake or just for fun thoughts, maybe for extra fun, do you use your OC/Ponysona often and for things like PC avatar/backgrounds? I`m really interested in hearing your OC`s/Ponysona`s Orgins!

Well after watching the show for a season and a half, I wanted to escape to it. Unlike in my other passions though, I couldn't just put myself there as a human even if I wanted to. (Unlike in say, World of Warcraftwhere my projected self was almost never a human but I still had the option to be so. Plus there was a character creator so I didn't need to "manually" create my alter ego.) So through a long process of art, meditation, and RP character development "Steel Accord" gradually took shape.

I think it's plainly obvious that I use my ponysona for things besides RP. He is both my username and my avatar image. I even use the name in places beyond this.

Steel isn't just a fantasy, he's my mirror. I answer as readily to that name as my birth one. 

Edited by Steel Accord

Will Guide is what I imagine my pony self would be.

Appearance: Somewhat based on Mickey Mouse with the red fur representing Mick's red shorts, The yellow hooves are like Mickey's big yellow shoes. Will's blue vest represents the Sorcerer's Hat that Mickey is associated with The brown hair, skinny frame and glasses come from me personally.

Powers: Since I've yet to see a Pony OC that had to do with Disney, I wanted to give him the unique (if not very practical to use in Equestria) ability to bring anything Disney-related to the world. I see a lot of similarities between Equestria and the animated world of Disney from the personalities of the characters to the heart-warming moments of friendships.

Personality: He's me. Most of the time, he as optimistic as a child, but can be quite organized in his thoughts as an adult.

• Brohoof 1

When it comes to Cuddle Crescent, she was just for fun. She is a very interesting traveller with a big Tom boy, attitude. Bright Shine, is off a character I use for lots of different RPs and stories. He's supposed to be an extreme of everything I want to be. Polite, happy, and kind. I haven't got an image for my ponysona, but I have a feeling he'd be bluish, with black or brown, a spectrum for a Cutie Mark, and maybe with the name Bass Drop or something like that. XD

-Appearance
Emerald's appearance is partially based of me, the blonde in her mane and green eyes. I came up with her other colours and details by just messing around on Pony Creator.

-Abilities
She has the abilities of a normal unicorn, but especially in combative magic. Not sure where this came up from, I just made it up when trying to come up with her backstory and something that would fit her cutie mark.

-Personality. She has an attitude and a quick temper but a good heart. Basically, she's like me in a lot of ways. The only differences are the character is not as shy, and more optimistic than I am.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have quite the funny story actually about how I got my only real OC character, though admittedly I don't use them much.

It all started when I joined some PonyRP Server on Gmod (DarkRP but with ponies as well, if you don't play GMod its a game mod used to roleplay, there is a whole system and its pretty cool).

This is the story of Harvey the Fan Salespony

- Appearance

Harvey was randomly generated from the pony creator in-game, he was a brown earth pony with a black mane and blue eyes. He also took to wearing a brown hat. His cutie mark was a fan, thus meaning was meant to sell fans, it was his destiny.

-Abilities

He is really good at selling fans? That's about it. That was just taken from the cutie mark.

-Personallity

Harvey is a really quirky pony, people tend to laugh at him and call him weird due to his methods of trying to sell fans... if you can even call them that. He simply runs up to people and begs them to buy his fans, yet somehow this works. He also tends to be very unlucky and gets sidetracked easily.

This was taken simply from how I acted in the game and how people reacted to him, and people really thought he was weird.

-Other Things

Alright, this is where the real story starts, how Harvey came to be and what happened to him. All other characters besides Harvey were played by real people on the game, who I sadly don't have the names of. The only exception to this was Frank McSmooth, another character I played.

It all started when he moved to a new town. Harvey was eager to get started and immediately ran up to two ponies, begging them to buy his fans. To which they responded with a quick and angry "Get away from me".

Defeated, Harvey pressed on to his house where he ran into another pony, just as strange as him. This pony offered to help him move in, which he gladly accepted.

Working hard, they manage to get the place set up, when the other pony notices Harvey's back room. He appears to be working on some sort of secret project, which Harvey refuses to tell her.

After this, they part ways for now, as Harvey needs to get to work. But right as the other pony was leaving the house, a pumpkin appeared in front of her. Suddenly, in seconds, the house was filled to the brim with pumpkins! An infestation!

To Harvey's dismay he could barely even make it out of his own has to get help, squeezing through one of the windows, only to see a terrible site before him, the Pumpkin King! The Pumpkin King had taken over the town while he was moving in and was kicking every single pony out of town by over-running their houses with pumpkins.

Harvey wouldn't stand for this and worked with the other pony to stop this pumpkin king. In the end, they managed to prevail, destroying the Pumpkin king and his base.

A few days pass, as Harvey continues his business he is ready to start his new project! This secret project has been in the works for years and it was finally time to show it! He was going to film a documentary on the local gang "The Shadow Fiends".

Surprisingly enough, he managed to convince the insane leader to let him film their antics and even took him along on some crazy missions. Hours of film and glorious interviews resulted but soon enough the gang was driven insane by Harvey and his weird personality. So they staged a plan. 

They had gone on a kidnapping spree! The captured the Mayor's daughter, a random filly, and an innocent bystander, as well as Harvey. They threw them all into a room together and started to sell them off to buyers as slaves. Eventually only Harvey was left, as nobody dared to by him. And thanks to this, the gang still had to listen to Harvey's constant inane chatter.

They finally had enough and decided to kick him out... of a window of a huge tower. Harvey went falling down and amazingly survived thanks to being able to land in some nearby water near the sewers.

Unable to go back up, as he'd surely be attacked by the gang, he decided to head in and build his new home there. While down there, he encountered a horrifying sewer monster, who, with the help of the local police and a mysterious human simply known as "Frank McSmooth", was put to an end and a country called The Underground was built from the sewers. Harvey still lives there today and works hard to sell his fans to residents of The Underground.

And that ends how I probably made the stupidest OC ever. :V

Edited by PassTheSalt

I made my OC to resemble toast with butter and burned edges.

His long wings are set to resemble my long board... not much else to him. :P

My OC was a fruitful way to analyze myself without being subject to self-punishment. I was trying to reflect my own behaviours, without being punitive with myself.

Without a real family, it's kind of hard to discern "right" from "wrong" And many times, the negative things I used to do, were actually symptoms from traumatic experiences, more than myself. Even then it was hard to look at my actions with acceptance. Judgding people for things I was doing myself, just to feel safe from my own fear. I used to punish myself quite often after doing something "bad" That "bad" was a natural reaction which reason I wasn't able to fully unveil yet.

It was much more easier to realize the emotional flaws on my OC, than it was with myself. I started to notice that I was actually neglecting myself, taking everything on me for other's fault. Even then I don't hold resentfulness towards my earthly family. Still there is no justification.

This whole process aided me, not only in understanding myself, but also others. The reason behind someone's behaviour. I used to judge people upon their immediate actions, without even noticing the trigger for such reactions.
Sadly enough it was to be expected after years of not a so good life, everything went blurry for me. Like hiding inside a giant, empty room, into corner inside yourself. So little and gray.

This very expression was reflected upon my OC's face and gray, colorless form, with a menacing look on his eyes. He was actually afraid, he didn't want to be hurt anymore, like a cornered animal trying to look agressive.
My OC became part of my memories once I realized this out, once I started a self-healing process with myself, a year or so ago. Acceptance was the key.

It was an experience.

(edited)

Rave Darkmane is a little bit based on my evil side

- Appearance: I tried imagining what I would most likely look like if I would a pony within the mlp world, and did him like that

- Abilities: Dark magic was because I was a big fan of Sombra and also his ability to know places was because I love looking at countries on maps. The cutie mark was originally supposed to be a history book.... but how would I be able to specify an educational book  ^_^?

- Personality: His personality is a little bit built on my own, with some added spice that he is a bit more angry since he is socially rejected for his heritage (the Darkmane family)

I made him pretty evil because I usually tend to be on the evil side when it comes to stories, movies, TV shows and that kind of stuff (Loving Saruman and Count Dooku  :wub:). I myself often agree with some of the things these evil characters are trying to accomplish, however, I have been developing Rave for some time now and have now added a more serious story to his character and I tend to often make sad backgrounds or perhaps some accidents in backstories for my characters (except for Amethyst) :)

I made my OC originally just to have an online character :)

That is all I have to say since I don't want to really be diving deep in  :unsure:

Edited by JonasDarkmane

(edited)

Picture (same as my avatar)

cloverfly_zps972cb7bd.png

Clover Heart started out as just an avatar. Mostly, she's remained as such. I think I started in Pony Creator and just developed her more and more from there, aesthetically, anyway. Green's my favorite color so that's what Clover ended up being. My username on this forum is duchess_clover, and for a while that was her name until I thought she, as well as I, needed a more pony-sounding name. Her cutie mark is 4 hearts in the shape of a clover, so Clover Heart made sense.

As for the duchess thing and the alicorn thing... Yeah, so, apparently, I'm bad at seeing patterns and I was probably the last person to realize that Celestia and Luna were the only alicorns in existence (at the time.) Another part of it was that before MLP: FiM, I'd always thought that unicorns did have wings. That was my image of them. So in my mind, I was simply completing the unicorn aesthetic. I think after I realized that the only alicorns were royalty, I felt compelled to give her a royal status. Duchess was a title that I'd used in a number of other usernames, so it seemed to work to make her a duchess. It just sorta came together like that. About people claiming things like "If your OC is an alicorn, it's like you're saying you're better than everyone else." Not really. First, anybody can make an alicorn OC. There's no rule against it. Second, I don't know about other people, but I really just stumbled into making my OC an alicorn. I didn't really know what I was doing and I wasn't intending to write about her. And, well, now the image is just cemented into my mind. I think it'd be weird to change her, now. If she were a non-alicorn race of pony, though, she would be a unicorn.

As for story, which developed after the fact and I never bothered to really write but just sorta have all up in my head... I'd heard that a lot of stories about alicorns have them turning out very Mary Sueish. I wanted that not to happen, so I gave her a cutie mark and ability that she never wanted and bestowed her with responsibilities that she didn't ask for. She wanted to be a singer, but her magic of happiness and the responsibilities it entails keeps her from fulfilling that dream. As such, despite being the Duchess of Happiness, she herself is very depressed. One day, she's tired of being a duchess and just decides to shirk her responsibilities and run away. Impending doom that I haven't worked all the details out about yet begins to creep in as she leaves and she's the only one with the ability to stop it. Along the way, she meets a gelding unicorn named Midknight Courage, who wanted to be a member of the royal guard and despite passing all the physical and mental exams was denied for not being in peak physical condition as a gelding. Clover Heart asks him to come along for protection. I was also thinking of having her meet two other characters. A stallion pegasus named Thundersnow whose personality and backstory I haven't quite worked out, yet. And there was another I was thinking of I have a sketch of her, it's a unicorn but I think an earth pony would be more fitting but I don't really know how to work it out. Anyway, a bunch of stuff happens. They come back to the duchy where Clover Heart's from to find it, I dunno, destroyed or something. They go and find the source and something about CH's magic being enhanced with her talent of singing, and the thingy gets destroyed and her dream is fulfilled while still allowing her to carry out her royal duties. Yeah, I know it's missing a lot of details. It's a basic outline, not all the details and it's not finished. I don't know if it ever will be finished because I don't know if I really care to bother with it, honestly. Anyway, that's just what developed in my head.

Again, she's mostly just an avatar, anyway, so... yeah...

Edited by Clover Heart

• 3 months later...

mlp_oc___terri_by_habijob-d93phco.png

terribilisscriptor_smile_by_ashidaru-d98

This is Terri

A cheery, wide eyed, booksalespony that travels through time and space at random. always curiouse and with a love for the use of electric-, Air- and water magic. Terri always tries to gain new knowledge while searching new books and scrolls to sell. ^.^

I have multiple OCs, but my main one, Cyan Flare (I'm sorry it's sideways... And it has no eyes... And she's meant to be a Pegasus. Work in progress):

post-34781-0-50013800-1441810826_thumb.jpg

Well... She came about after I drew a picture of Rarity using a reference. I decided I'd trade over it and use the body as a base to create my own characters, which is exactly what I did. I just added a messy looking mane, some original features like the jewelry and stuff to make her more individual. I was really just doodling but then I realised that it looked pretty cool... And after came the moment when I realised I had a unicorn base, not a Pegasus base. So that's why there and no wings. And the eyes? Rarity's eyes were half closed due to her facial expression in the picture I used if her as a base. But Cyan Flare's eyes are yellow.