295 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I loved Tree Hugger. She's so...mellow. Haha

Discord over-reacted big time. I can see why he'd be upset, but he isn't Fluttershy's only friend. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to process, though.

Oh, one thing i forgot to mention....the Smooze being introduced and developed at he / it was, was thoroughly disappointing. I was let-down by his introduction; a small, relatively containable character that was nothing like its G1 counterpart. Though once he started growing in size, I had a bit more hope for him to impress me. But then, just to have his chakra's sorted out by Tree-hugger who just hummed to "soothe the savage beast", was another let-down. I would've liked to see Tree Hugger's plan NOT work, and Smooze continuing to get bigger and out of control

and then Flutter ponies happen.

But alas -sigh- ......

(edited)

"So in summary, this episode was...
Cute!
Entertaining!
Heartwarming!
Groovy...
Amazing!

and Tree Hugger. Peace!"

That sums it up for me. There isn't much more to say other than those five words on my post episode tweet.

Ok, I lied a little. Although I don't have much to say about the episode, but this for me was a huge improvement over the Appleoosa's Most Wanted disaster of two weeks ago.

Overall this episode doesn't need an explanation, other than a few points.

First off, Tree Hugger herself. I actually liked this character when I saw the previews and when the episode aired it pretty much confirmed her as a fan favourite like Coco and Maud. Now I don't know if it was the personality, the style or just the thought of a 1960's hippie girl complete with flowers and vocal tones, but she made me squealing like a fangirl inside. No joke about that.

Although like two weeks ago, I have some objections to how she is portrayed outside of the show. I won't mention those points here due to the risk of starting another fandom war and having to go on the back foot and go into defensive mode, but I have gone into more detail on this point on my episode blog post which can be found at the end of this entry.

The second point was the Gala itself. Now while I didn't see the Gala the first time round due to entering the show after season one, but I had some idea of how it worked.

Now the main point I want to bring up is Pinkie's invite. Now she said in the episode that she wanted to invite her mother, Cloudy Quartz to the event but she ended up taking Maud instead.

"What? Cloudy Quartz!? Why would you turn down an invitation to go to the Grand Galloping Gala with your daughter Pinkie?"

Now, I know why she turned down the invite on her own terms. But it begs the question on whether family relations with Pinkie and her mother are a bit on the shaky side after going in a different direction that what her mother intended to be. While I don't have a problem with this (after all, it's her life and her decisions), it would have been nice to see Cloudy go to the event with both Maud and Pinkie.

To quote from my blog post:

"I mean, come on Cloudy! She is your daughter after all! Just put aside any differences that you have in the past on that rock farm and live a little for once! You are their mother for Celestia's sake!"

Apart from those two points, this episode was a welcome change and with the addition of Tree Hugger made it all worth while from start to finish.

I would certainly watch this again on the off chance, that's if Discord doesn't drive me broke from trying to throw my televisions and monitors out the bedroom window every time he has a temper tantrum!

I have also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

I have also included some additional thoughts on the episode in this recap video below:

Edited by rjrgmc28

That was a fun episode! So. Many. References! From Metal Gear Solid to Pinkie breaking the fourth wall the writers really hit a home run with this episode!

It was great to see Discord again with his antics and yet at the same time still having that scary and chaotic side to him from his interaction with Spike to interrogating the Mailmare. It's easy to see how relatable his situation is considering Fluttershy has been his only true friend so far and his fear of losing her as a friend because someone else his come into her life. I'm glad to see more character development with him getting experience with having multiple friends.

In regards the Gala, this one was...different compared to the last one. Less formal and upper classy and having a more casual feel to it. We finally get the first appearance of Celestia in season in 5 and speaking of her, she seems a lot more loose even laughing at Discords joke towards Twilight's wings. Personally I'm glad they're showing this side of her as it makes her more of a three dimensional character and not serious all the time.

I'm really happy to see Maud again! Her deadpan insult towards Discord Was absolutely hilarious and is an example of why I love her character so much. I like Treehugger as well since I thought she was an interesting character.

All in all, a really good Discord episode with some great humor and references.

• Brohoof 2

I've been waiting a long time to see Discord in Season, and he doesn't disappoint.  There's barely any flaws in this episode, but the wackiness of John De Lancie, the tree hugging attitude done by Nicole Oliver, as well as the small appearance by Maud Pie and the Smooze is something to enjoy.  Best episode this season so far.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It was interesting to see an episode that had Discord as the leading character. And that Metal Gear Solid reference.

hope this puts an end to the Dislestia ships. This episode kinda goes above and beyond to show that there's nothing between them, and that they're not even friends. Celestia didn't make Discord her "plus one"/ date. Celestia didn't give the ticket to Discord, herself, like she did with the mane 6 (see "the Ticket Master"). Discord didn't get jealous of Celestia spending her time with Twilight in the Gala. Discord never once tried to impress Celestia, the time he was at the Gala.
If this doesn't point to the fact that there's literally nothing between Celestia and Discord, I don't know what does.

Do you mean people who ship them for shipping sake, or people who legitimately think them having an intimate relationship of sorts to be canon? For the first point, the shipping between Discord and Celestia will probably never die as with probably any other ships. But as for the second point, I took the position that, unless otherwise clearly shown, characters' relations with one another to be at friend level. But I suppose this episode supports the notion that there's no actual intimate relationship between them... but I'm sure extreme Brony analyzers who are... pro-Dislestia will come up with something.

This. So much this. Fluttercord makes much more sense. If you ask me Celestia deserves somepony like Shining Armor. That's why I made an OC like that who I like to ship with her.

*Shrugs* Doesn't matter if it makes sense though. Every possible combination of shipping was probably done a long time ago though. I mean shipping of Trixie and Maud I find is quite unusual.

I don't mean to put Maud in negative light her... but. Don't you guys feel that it doesn't seem like her to come with a comment like that. I would just assume she wouldn't care at all what was going on there at the moment, knowing Maud very well. She's very fond of Pinkie Pie.

Maybe that's the point? I didn't think she would really react as well, but then again I don't think it's unfitting of her to bluntly express her disapproval if she isn't pleased with something.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Liked the episode, but one thing bothered me:

Does it seem like they are presenting Princess Celestia in a more childish way than they did in previous seasons? In this episode it was almost as if she was a caricature of her previous very wise and noble self. It almost felt like they accidentally dumped a G3 version of her in the episode. Or maybe they dropped her from thousands of years old deity to a teenager.

Heck, even her animation seemed.... off. Especially in certain scenes with her eyes.

IDK, just seemed off to me and almost ruined the episode.

• Brohoof 1

Excellent episode. Best of season 5, for sure :yay:

I like that we got to see Spike's new room. And that he has a larger bed, but still basket style :squee: Also that he paints flowers and plays drums.

Also great to see Discord's house. It's surprisingly normal inside, aside from being upside down in places. I wonder if Fluttershy ever visits him there? At least she has wings to navigate the gravity-less area outside :P

Ponyville confirmed nudist colony. Rarity is embarrassed to be naked in front of Canterlot ponies.

Pinkie and Tree Hugger should hang out. They both know how to use unusual sounds to calm rampaging creatures.

"You're the most basic of jokes"... that was pretty darn funny :lol: A little mean, but still. Great to see Maud again.

This episode was a shipping minefield, but I think they managed to avoid them. Discord really likes Fluttershy, but she doesn't respond quite enough to confirm the ship. Celestia invites Discord (and Fluttershy expects she will), giving their ship some credibility, but then Celestia spends her entire night by Twilight's side, feeding my beloved Twilestia ship. Well played, writers.

...and then there's the new ship, Fluttershy/Tree Hugger, because Fluttershy was so engrossed in her conversation that she didn't even hear Discord for a long time. Not to mention the fact that Fluttershy wants to be a tree, and thus shall be hugged relentlessly.

I am disappointed that they wasted the Smooze on such an insignificant role, but that doesn't make this episode bad, just removes the possibility of a great future episode with a Smooze apocalypse.

But if I had to pick one favorite aspect of this episode, it's how happy Celestia is :pinkie:

• Brohoof 3

Liked the episode, but one thing bothered me:

Does it seem like they are presenting Princess Celestia in a more childish way than they did in previous seasons? In this episode it was almost as if she was a caricature of her previous very wise and noble self. It almost felt like they accidentally dumped a G3 version of her in the episode. Or maybe they dropped her from thousands of years old deity to a teenager.

Heck, even her animation seemed.... off. Especially in certain scenes with her eyes.

IDK, just seemed off to me and almost ruined the episode.

Not really, even in season one she was shown to have a silly side, once. I think everyone just make her out to be more serious then what she really is

• Brohoof 1

The episode was one of the best in my opinion except for the presentation of Fluttershy and Treehugger as we know little of Treehugger and we're just meant to accept her being brought to the gala by fluttershy. But apart from that good episode, good jokes and good references (MGS and a reference to Dumb and Dumber with Discord and the Shmoozers suits).

Also that moment when Maud Pie says that Discord is "The most basic of jokes", I was like "Hello Police? Yeah I need someone here right now because I just witnessed a murder".

(edited)

So  Sunbutt wanted some more waves in a calm lake and got a ticket for Discord in knowing he would bring something new and excited to the Gala?  Good Play Sunbutt,  good play..... :fiery:

Edited by Tao
  • Brohoof 2

hope this puts an end to the Dislestia ships. This episode kinda goes above and beyond to show that there's nothing between them, and that they're not even friends. Celestia didn't make Discord her "plus one"/ date. Celestia didn't give the ticket to Discord, herself, like she did with the mane 6 (see "the Ticket Master"). Discord didn't get jealous of Celestia spending her time with Twilight in the Gala. Discord never once tried to impress Celestia, the time he was at the Gala.

If this doesn't point to the fact that there's literally nothing between Celestia and Discord, I don't know what does.

I find this quite the opposite, i see this episode as a sunk ship for Fluttercord torpedoed by Dislestia.

I do have a hypothesis on this but it really needs its own thread

This episode was pretty good. New character. I loved her stoned out hippy persona she had going on. Treehugger was a good name for her. She must've been smoking some sort of herb, during the episode after not remembering Discord.

Hm, could Treehugger, possibly, be Fluttershy's marefriend? would be an interesting thing. Considering she was the one Fluttershy invited to the Gala. Even if she isn't, I wanna see more of Treehugger, she's a pretty groovy mare.

Also, if this episode doesn't disprove of Fluttershy being a doormat anymore, I don't know what will. She was rather forward and angry with Discord this episode. She didn't back down. She was all up in his face and called him out on his jealousy. Also, this might, hopefully, disprove Discoshy. Since, if she did have those kinda feelings toward him, she would've invited him, since she knew he didn't have an invitation yet. Instead she invited her friend Tree Hugger. But Celestia still sent him an invite, albeit it arriving late, she figured he could liven up the party, and he did.

Celestia, this episode, also became slightly more awesome in my books too.

Overall a great episode. I also loved the Metal Gear reference, it was cute.

Also, dat Flutter face.:wub::squee:  I squeed when she did it..

897532.png

• Brohoof 5

Funniest. Episode. Period.

I have to rewatch it but so many moments to love and OMG Rarity covering herself, Applejack tearing up, Pinkie destroying the 4th wall, Kubrick!

Also Tree Hugger = My mother x)

And Fluttershy continues the path of perhaps stealing the season

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I loved this episode, it was so great to see Discord again and man was he hilarious in this. It was great seeing the different outfits at the Grand Galloping Gala and seeing Discord attend, I love the references in the episode including Dumb and Dumber, Metal Gear Solid, The Shining, G1 MLP, etc. I also love Tree Hugger, she's a great character and I love her design and attitude, she's so chill and laid back, but she reminds me of Treeflower from Angry Beavers and great to see Maud Pie again!!! A great episode and one I definitely enjoyed! 9/10!

post-5578-0-77944300-1431827148_thumb.jpg

post-5578-0-90470800-1431827207_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-93656500-1431827208_thumb.png

post-5578-0-85601800-1431827210_thumb.png

Edited by MLPFanatic34

897579__safe_twilight+sparkle_rainbow+da

CelestiaCord, The Episode. Bride of Discord, eat your heart out.

"Oh Twilight, the Gala is always boring, remember? I invited Discord because of how good he is with lightening the mood. He's so funny~"

Now that, that's out of the way...

This episode had so many high points and awesome references, that it's gone down in history for being one of those episodes where every second of those 22 minutes was not any less fun, amusing or interesting than any other points, at least for me.

• We finally got to see where Discord lives. It is now confirmed, folks, he lives in a pocket dimension. Called it. *sunglasses.gif*
  • We've been needing to see Discord interact with the other Mane Six in a Slice of Life environment for a while now. Up until this point, Discord has only interacted casually with Fluttershy. In Keep Calm and Flutter On and Princess Twilight Sparkle, the other Mane Six harbored distrust towards Discord despite his reformation. But now that he's gone through a more concrete reformation due to the S4 Finale, it appears the rest of the Mane Six have finally gotten to a point where they're comfortable around him, too.
  • The Smooze has an interesting but casual role, complete opposite of Tirek. Yay for variety.
  • This friendship lesson, it's one of the more mature ones. Even adults struggle with the multiple friends concept, and though they usually don't overreact in Discord's fashion, they do encounter situations in-where a friend chooses to spend time with another friend instead of them, and it does cause hard feelings of doubt or betrayal. This is a lesson someone from any age can find meaning in.

896192__safe_solo_animated_screencap_cut

I could go on, but you all get the idea, you watched the episode, too. The great thing about Discord episodes is, the writers, as we can see, clearly disregard any sense of subtlety or modesty when it comes to references and visual gags, and just how many of them there are.

897431__safe_pinkie+pie_animated_discord

There was absolutely no wall left to break when these two had an entire scene together.

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed Maude and her burning Discord.

"You're the most basic of jokes." Niiiiiice. :)

I hope to see MANY T-shirts of that line and Maude's image, hitting sore shelves soon enough

full.gif

I hoped that someone would make this. God i love this fandom.

• Brohoof 12

(edited)

I had high expectations for this episode and honestly...it didn't disappoint! Then again I love anything with Discord so I'm probably a little biased. I'm not even sure where to start here but lets see...

This being the first time we've seen Discord since "Twilight's Kingdom" I was hopeful we'd get some mention of the whole Tirek incident because frankly, these things (ie: rebuilding trust) take time. Ever since the season four finale I've been thinking "Gee, forgiveness happens a little too fast in Equestria, doesn't it?" I actually had it in my head that the reason Fluttershy invited somepony else to the Gala is because she was still secretly feeling hurt by Discord's betrayal (wait, who says that couldn't be the case? headcanon!) She never did actually say "I forgive you", did she? - "I'm sorry." "I know." - That's it. Oh well, it's in the past! Moving on...

First of all let me say that while I'm not a romance shipper (of anything, really) I absolutely adore the friendship between Fluttershy and Discord! It's probably my favorite thing in the whole show. This episode started out too sweet for words, what with the whole "Tuesday tea" scene...and Discord wagging his tail with anticipation while expecting Fluttershy to invite him to the Gala just about gave me diabeetus. There were SO many fun expressions in this one ("my VIBE?" dem glowy eyes XD) and the references! So many references! All of them great but the one that made me crack the biggest smile was Discord pulling the Rodney Dangerfield face. OH! I can't forget to mention Discord's home. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. it reminded me of the Netherworld from Beetlejuice, only ten times crazier. Just as I would have imagined it! Can I move there? :umad:

Tree Hugger! Ah, ha, ha, ha...ha. Well if that isn't the most blatantly obvious name I've ever seen. Stereotypes aside I liked her. She's uh...really far out, man. Groovy. Actually know someone like her (they're just not so...um...what's the right word? High. Yeah. I kinda wanna know what Treezy was smoking, dude...) But in all seriousness it was nice for Fluttershy to make a like-minded friend with similar interests to her own. I just hope Fluttershy X Tree Hugger (FlutterHugger? TreeShy?) doesn't become the next big ship. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course it will. Because as everyone knows Fluttershy wants to be a tree and therefore someone named "Tree Hugger" is obviously her perfect waifu. I hope everyone can tell I'm kidding. XD

SMOOZE!!! This made me so nostalgic, although the revamped Smooze is a far cry from the ocean of purple Muk I remember from my childhood. Nonetheless I like what they did with it (he? it? I think they refer to Smooze as "it" more often than not...genderless characters confirmed!) I'm glad Smooze didn't turn out to be a villain honestly, it was more fun this way. Also I think Pinkie made a new BFF (SmoozePie ship incoming...wait for it :toldya: ) For all the hype, however, Smooze itself was a little overshadowed by the main focus. But seeing as the main focus was Discord I can absolutely forgive that, haha.

So the whole jealousy thing. Did they take it overboard? I don't think so. It's Discord, he takes everything overboard. Plus I think it makes sense that he would feel possessive and jealous over Fluttershy, having never had a real friend before her. Furthermore, from the way he was talking to himself, it seems she is still is only friend - or at least the way he sees it (but doesn't want her to know/think that) Honestly I felt bad for him when he was rambling. I grew up with only one real childhood friend and I can remember feeling extremely jealous when they started hanging out with other people. Because I had such a hard time making any friends at all, for my one friend to be spending more time with new friends instead of me really hurt. My 10 year old self related to Discord. Thankfully my 10 year old self never crashed a party with a giant blob of Gak (although that would've been fun...)

I also got the feeling Discord still hasn't fully embraced the rest of the Mane Six on the same "friendship level" as Fluttershy. Not that any of them have ever been overly-eager to become BFFs with him either, but I think Twilight at least proved she was a true friend to him in the season four finale. And then, of course, there's Pinkie. She seems to like him...although I'm not sure the feeling is mutual. Seriously, I can't figure out if Discord just finds her annoying...or if he's downright scared of her. His face when she cornered him against the wall was priceless. I recall he seemed pretty eager to get rid of her in "Three's a Crowd" too. Even the Master of Chaos can't handle Pinkie Pie. :blink:

So anyway the point I was making here (was there ever a point? oh, yes) - I think the jealously was legit and in character. Do I think it was borderline "shippy"? Yes, maybe a little. But then again maybe not. Friends can get very jealous over friends, especially if one of those friends is still new to the whole "friendship" thing (and I'm sure "sharing" is a strange concept, too) Either way I was a little surprised Fluttershy didn't pick up on the obvious sooner, especially since being sensitive to other's emotions is kind of a strongpoint for her. She had to have known by the way Discord was acting. Maybe she wanted him to figure it out for himself.

Oh, one thing that made me a little sad was how the CMC didn't like Discord. I know the comics don't mix with the show but damnit, having Discord as an honorary member of the CMC was so cute! I hope they eventually become friends on the show too.

Well I've been having far too much fun overanalyzing all this. What as become of my life? No, no. I love it. I loved this episode. I'm not sure what else to say s to wrap up I'll just say this: 10/10! :D

Edited by DragonFlyer
  • Brohoof 2

@@Asbel Lhant, @@Commissar Alexer,

hope this puts an end to the Dislestia ships.

Not a chance.

1. I'm a veteran of several other fandoms. Ships never die, whether a ship they like is canon or not, whether it was canon 40 years ago, 4 weeks ago, and anywhere in between. If they don't die in other fandoms, they don't die here.
  2. In actuality, this episode fueled Dislestia. The little responses (Celly laughing from Discord's joke, Celly inviting him to the Gala so he could cause chaos, and their friendship) offer plenty of shippin' fire.

Fluttercord makes much more sense.

I wasn't a fan of the last 2 episodes, I'm glad we're back to the good stuff again. I loved this episode! I hate when the titles are spoilers though, anyway, I'm glad I didn't know they were going to the Grand Galloping Gala. That was a surprise.

Things I Liked:

- Discord. Always good to see him. He had character development, a relatable moment (really relatable for me) and funny moments.

- Fluttershy not being a doormat. One of the things I love about season 5.

- Going again to the gala, and seeing the CMC there too.

- The mane 6 (or at least FS) hanging out with more ponies.

- That new hippie pony. She's now one of my favorites.

- A Solid Snake reference!

- The humor was excelent.

- I loved Celestia here. She seems to love having fun and I couldn't stop laughing when she laughed at Discord's joke.

- It was good to see Maud again. I loved her joke too.

- The smooze was fun too.

Things I disliked:

- Screw this. I liked everything

10/10

• Brohoof 3