Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comparing NOW to Season One

colt_following

Hey, guys! Today I decided I'd go back and watch some older episodes, since I now have much more insight on how to view characters and show components particularly episode one.

The first thing I noticed is that the music was ALL different- felt a lot more Johnny Test, both in how it sounds and where it's placed. Man, I hate Johnny Test.

Another is that overall I feel like the show treated itself a lot more like a kids show than it's willing to do now- like the show has matured with this fandom, and it's come to encompass deeper, more relevant issues and take off the sort of 'glitz & glamor' that lots of kids shows seem to have these days and actually dig into something more tangible and relatable.

In the first episode, Twilight was a JERK! I know that's used to show how much she changed, but WOW! Also, Spike's voice felt a bit higher and more childlike, I want to say Fluttershy had a sliiiightly different design (like her eyes were further apart and had thicker lashes) and AJ's voice is just a little different.

But this is just a general thread to discuss then versus now... If you guys catch anything, I'd LOVE to hear it because this showed has transformed since season one.

• Brohoof 3

The show has improved so much over time.

From the animation to the music.

• Brohoof 3

It sure has changed a lot. It's like a whole different show with the writing, music, and animation continuously improving. Who would have expected a Metal Gear or Game of Thrones refference.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

it sure changed a lot :twi: to be honest... it has one the best animations ive seen so far.. and i think the music is really good too

id say it changed from a girls show... to something different

Edited by KrazyDashie
  • Brohoof 2

Totally. It went from another show for little girls to something more.

While I don't think the show was THAT low at the start, I will say that it has become something far more than what it was or what it ever was planned to be. The first season had such a different vibe to it. It felt like a show that was still trying to find what it really wanted to aim for. It kinda did seem like a show that was not intended to run for more than a few seasons. Then the Brony fandom exploded into a thing and since season 2 I think the show has felt more focused for the most part.

I still loved season 1 of course, it just has a whole different tone than now. Now they are taking way more risks and doing things better, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

Shows tend to do that. Especially when the staff keeps it from stagnating, i.e. pushing it in different directions.

Well certainly it has changed after about 4 years. I think the lessons were also a lot less subtle than they are now. They made them blatantly clear what the issue was back then. But now, I think it's changed to where it's much more well integrated into an actual story instead.

Still not saying season one is bad though. It had plenty of its own charm. Honestly, I really enjoy going back to it because for some reason it feels nostalgic, and also because it was just a simpler time. Plus we were still discovering so many different things about Equestria and how the world worked, so I suppose it also had this "intrigue" quality to it as well.

As others stated above, the voices are clearly different now that the actors have a much better understanding and handle on the characters. Also it really does feel like more of a kids show than it does now, even though it's still a kids show!

One thing remains the same though, I do not regret one bit becoming a Brony. It has brought me great joy.

Season 1 was your typical show for little girls and it was good enough to generate such a large fandom consisting of people who are much older than the aimed demographic of this show which was little girls who would not care too much about how good the characters are and how well written the plot is but we did. I guess seeing such a big positive response made the creators of the show work even harder and they did a lot of amazing shit in the seasons that came after the first and they improved everything. The animation is much better and the episodes are high quality as always.

I think it really has improved for me over the years. I think the animation for Season 1 looks kind of bad comparing to now and the style has certainly changed, for the better in my opinion. The show takes a bit more risks then they did in Season 1 and it just feels like the writers actually know what they want to do with this show.

Overall, i like where the show is going.

• Brohoof 1

Well certainly it has changed after about 4 years. I think the lessons were also a lot less subtle than they are now. They made them blatantly clear what the issue was back then. But now, I think it's changed to where it's much more well integrated into an actual story instead.

Still not saying season one is bad though. It had plenty of its own charm. Honestly, I really enjoy going back to it because for some reason it feels nostalgic, and also because it was just a simpler time. Plus we were still discovering so many different things about Equestria and how the world worked, so I suppose it also had this "intrigue" quality to it as well.

As others stated above, the voices are clearly different now that the actors have a much better understanding and handle on the characters. Also it really does feel like more of a kids show than it does now, even though it's still a kids show!

One thing remains the same though, I do not regret one bit becoming a Brony. It has brought me great joy.

The first two seasons had unpredictable moments. Season 3 and above they seem to become more predictable to me.

The first two seasons had unpredictable moments. Season 3 and above they seem to become more predictable to me.

I might agree with that- I feel like during those seasons, everyone was still 'settling in' and trying to find the right direction to take the show. I think it's cool to watch straight down from season 1 to now and notice the subtle progression. But it's jarring to see how differently they handled things years ago, before they *got it*.

Although I do feel like there is a lot less focus on the individual personalities of characters now, particularly Twilight and Rainbow.

Mane 6 has changed over time, their weaknesses are diminishing after they learned new things. the writer can not reuse the moral they will have to find new lessons. I think, the more developed character = less topic to tap on the character. Twilight was perfectly developed  = less focus on her, Rainbow Dash still can exploit ..., more potential in SS5 Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie still  has many aspects can be exploited (Her sentiment is still much mystery ),Applejack = back ground pony ;) , rarity is nicer now = less focus. Season 5 now need the undeveloped characters much like Discord, Luna, Celestia, CMC, Trixie, Diamond Tiara, Gilda and so on. Bring more mature, dark subjects, some twists, to keep the show fresh... maybe some villain episodes too  =]]. 

• Brohoof 1

Anyone else think the most recent episode was a little out of place for MLP, felt a little like a spongebob episode to me

Though I loved the Fluttercord moments, I agree. I really don't like the "real-life" cuts  that keep happening, like the other dimension scene in episode seven. 

Regarding the topic, I feel like MLP has had ups and downs. I became a brony while season two was being aired, and I loved seasons one and two. Season three was awful in my opinion. I feel like the writers were so focused on Equestria Girls that the quality of the episodes were not as good; however, looking back, I think that some of the things I didn't like was just the series changing it's demographic. After seeing season four and now season five, I know that the change was for the better. 

For me one of the biggest changes has been that seasons 1 & 2 felt a lot more...simple. While the later seasons are THAT complex they do feel a lot more cleverly written; and they're not afraid of experimentation these days. :)

• Brohoof 2

As the show has grown older, so has the level of maturity in the show.  It is obvious that newer episodes contain more visible adult themes.  Also, like any good show, the characters have grown and developed.  The early lessons show the characters how to develop while the more recent lessons smooth out the edges for their evolving character.

In addition to this, the animation and music is getting very much better.  Also, on of my favorite things is that as the voice actresses for the CMC grow up, the voices of the CMC change, showing a possible change in character for them too (maybe, I don't know).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The rawness of attitude and emotion of Season 1 was enjoyable. I found Twilight Sparkle more enjoyable during Season 1 and 2 with her being more rough around the edges.

Also some of the Mane 6 having breakdowns were good, which showed that they have limits.

Edited by Singe

(edited)

The characters have grown so much.  

I was especially surprised to see Fluttershy be so assertive in Make New Friends But Keep Discord when she was talking to Discord about how you can have more than one friend. She really looked him in the eye and spilt the beans.

She never would have done that in season one.

Edited by shy0wl

Yeah, I have times rewatching S1 and S2 episodes and they really feel different, like simpler times, the show wasn't clear in where they were heading, and I think they planned for Magical Mystery Cure to be the finale , as I doubt they were expecting this show to continue past S2, but had the intrigue of discovering a new and fascinating world. Now, it has matured quite clearly, even the CMC feel like they grown up, not just their VAs deepening their vocies 

The characters have grown so much.

I was especially surprised to see Fluttershy be so assertive in Make New Friends But Keep Discord when she was talking to Discord about how you can have more than one friend. She really looked him in the eye and spilt the beans.

She never would have done that in season one.

Intersting thought, because what came to mind for me is that the Mane 6 are coming to the end of their 'learning phase', and so this season should hopefully focus a bit on displaying them putting what they've learned about friendship into action.

I think that's what I've even waiting for, given that all the characters HAVE grown, and now I want to see more of them, I suppose.