Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Must the 100th Episode be Taken as Canon?

ShadOBabe

74 users have voted

1. 1. Is it canon?

• It is canon.
    • It is not canon.
    • It can be either depending on the viewer.

(edited)

I can live with it either way, but I'm curious about what others think.

I view this episode as a gift and a big nudge-wink joke between the creators and the viewers.

Like any gift, it can be used how the receiver desires. And like any joke, it can be taken with a grain of salt.

It's 22 minutes of fan service. But it's still an official episode.

So does everything in it need to be taken as fact?

Or can it be completely disregarded by those that wish to keep it separate?

Can it be both?

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I feel like people might think I'm trying to start something, but I'm really not.

I've genuinely never seen an episode like this in any fandom I've ever been in, and I'm not sure how they're typically handled. When the entire staff throws their hands up and says, "Let's go CRAZY!" what is the standard reaction?

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 4

Yep. Official production episode is official. You don't have to like it, but it is indeed a real honest to goodness episode.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

Yep. Official production episode is official. You don't have to like it, but it is indeed a real honest to goodness episode.

Oh, yeah it's a real episode from the production crew.

I've just heard of "joke" episodes done in shows before. They're real episodes, but are they really canon?

Is it really canon if no one making it is taking it seriously? I mean they had a literal "jump the shark" moment.

What if none of this is ever mentioned again? XD

Like, "Well that was fun, but now back to our actual show!"

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

I love how Bon Bon had a lot of screen time, but I wasn't too terribly pleased with how she was a double agent. However, I did like the throwback reference to the name Sweetie Drops. I think I'll keep my headcanon as it was. : P

• Brohoof 3

yes, let's start the fandom wars with claims that canon episodes in the series aren't to be taken canonically. It's already being done for the comics, books, movies. Let's see how "show canon isn't canon" wars play out....

-sits back and grabs popcorn-

(100% serious, by the way)

to add...what Jeric said. Continuing with my own thoughts.....pff. Fans who are so deeply rooted into their own mindsets and headcanons will likely choose to ignore what's canon, anyway, and put their headcanons on a higher pedestal than the show itself, in desperate attempt to keep their headcanons an interpretations afloat (and send death threats to the people - even the writers, themselves) who dare try and make official canon that doesn't match their headcanon. -shrug-

Take the 100th episode as canon, or not. I don't really care. I, however, choose to see it as canon...as.....-siiiigh- pandery the actual episode was.

I love how Bon Bon had a lot of screen time, but I wasn't too terribly pleased with how she was a double agent. However, I did like the throwback reference to the name Sweetie Drops. I think I'll keep my headcanon as it was. : P

wasn't fond of secret angent Sweetie Drops, myself, but the way I saw it was the writers debunking fan headcanon of the two being so close, blah blah blah. It eas the writers way of saying "no there not, look, there's this whole secret side of Bon Bon that Lyra had no idea about. They're best friends, but aren't close enough to where they even know everything about each other."

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

yes, let's start the fandom wars with claims that canon episodes in the series aren't to be taken canonically. It's already being done for the comics, books, movies. Let's see how "show canon isn't canon" wars play out....

-sits back and grabs popcorn-

(100% serious, by the way)

to add...what Jeric said. Continuing with my own thoughts.....pff. Fans who are so deeply rooted into their own mindsets and headcanons will likely choose to ignore what's canon, anyway, and put their headcanons on a higher pedestal than the show itself, in desperate attempt to keep their headcanons an interpretations afloat (and send death threats to the people - even the writers, themselves) who dare try and make official canon that doesn't match their headcanon. -shrug-

Take the 100th episode as canon, or not. I don't really care. I, however, choose to see it as canon...as.....-siiiigh- pandery the actual episode was.

Sorry, I'm seriously not trying to start a war. Honest. I had fun with the episode, and if it's canon, it's canon

No headcanons of mine were messed up. XD

I've just never been been around in a fandom when a crazy, celebratory, fandom love letter like this has aired.

Are all crazy episodes like this taken as fact? I heard something about a really crazy episode of Stargate from someone...

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

It's canon: it happened in the show (that's really the only reason), and unlike a certain Steven Universe episode there was no indication saying it wasn't.

• Brohoof 3

It's canon: it happened in the show (that's really the only reason), and unlike a certain Steven Universe episode there was no indication saying it wasn't.

What was the clue for Steven Universe? I didn't watch it.

Did the creators just come right out and say, "this is non-canon"?

I feel like people think I'm trying to start something, but I'm really not.

I've genuinely never seen an episode like this in any fandom I've been in, and I'm not sure how they're typically handled.

What was the clue for Steven Universe? I didn't watch it.

Did the creators just come right out and say, "this is non-canon"?

Uncle Grandpa simply said to Steven "Don't worry kid, none of this is canon".
  • Brohoof 3

Uncle Grandpa simply said to Steven "Don't worry kid, none of this is canon".

Hahaha!! Well THAT'S direct!

I love it!! XD

Makes me wonder what non-fandom savvy viewers think about that line...

"Mommy, what's 'canon'?"

• Brohoof 2

I still don't like how people are saying that Lyra and SweetieDrops are a couple. They're not.

Just their friendship was confirmed.

Same goes for Vinyl and Octavia.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

None of my headcanons were destroyed.

Same here!! XD

I'm just genuinely curious about whether or not headcanons can even be destroyed by an episode like this.

If it's all one big cut loose, goof-off episode, does anything in it matter?

I still don't likehow people are saying that Lyra and SweetieDrops are a couple. They're not.

Just their friendship was confirmed.

Same goes for Vinyl and Octavia.

I don't ship either of those anyway, but I think the Lyra/BonBon one could have been handled better.

Vinyl and Octavia live together, but that's all that was said, so people can still do whatever they want.

But BOTH sides say that the friendship thing for LyraBon confirms their headcanons. The people for it say it was emphasized because the creators were trying to be really blatant (like, "WINK WINK ITS CANON, WE JUST CANT SAY SO") and the people against it will take the line at face value. I probably would have just had them hang out, and people can just draw their own conclusions like they always do.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Same here!! XD

I'm just genuinely curious about whether or not headcanons can even be destroyed by an episode like this.

It wasn't completely messy. It had a plot. 

Exposition: We are aware of the wedding from the beginning, and characters are introduced. 

Rising Action: Preparing for the wedding.

Conflict: Since Derpy (still calling her that) got invitations with the wrong date and sent them around, the wedding had to be put on earlier. Meanwhile, they couldn't have the Mane Six help because of a Bugbear. 

Climax: The wedding itself. 

Resolution: Cranky and Matilda are married, and there are fireworks. 

The plot could have been better, but it did have a plot. 

its canon. if you decide you wish for it not to be, then make it an AU. Then anything and everything can be how YOU wish.
But as it stands.. It's canon.

(edited)

Oh yeah it totally had a plot, but it was still unadulterated madness.

Tavi and Vinyl bust through the front of their house on a friggin wubmobile, literally jumping a shark plushie in the street before scooping up every background character in the show and carrying them to the gazebo, and then crash because they ran over the Twilicane.

That sounds like My Little Pony mad libs!! XD

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Of course. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Because it's a big crazy celebration nudge wink joke/gift episode from the creators to the fans.

But again I'd like to emphasize that I'm completely neutral in this. I thought it was fun.

I'm just wondering how it will be taken and treated for the duration of the fandom and the rest of the show.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

Must it?  No.  Will it?  Some yes, some no.  Is it?  Yes.

Ah, the greater philosophical questions.

I really loved it, though.  I still don't get all the complaints about it being nothing but pandering fanservice.  What's wrong with a little of that?  A franchise like this is different from something like Game of Thrones, based on a book that has all been written by one man, his vision, with no audience/fan influence.  I see no problem with fanservice in something like FIM.  I personally think it's amazing and mindblowing that so much brony-created stuff has been adopted by the writers as canon.  I mean, like Derpy for example.  We created her.  She was just an animation glitch, and we made her what she is.  How awesome is that?

• Brohoof 4

No reason why it wouldn't or shouldn't be canon, and while I don't think it was a good episode, nothing canonized here will have a negative effect on the show.

It wasn't completely messy. It had a plot. 

Exposition: We are aware of the wedding from the beginning, and characters are introduced. 

Rising Action: Preparing for the wedding.

Conflict: Since Derpy (still calling her that) got invitations with the wrong date and sent them around, the wedding had to be put on earlier. Meanwhile, they couldn't have the Mane Six help because of a Bugbear. 

Climax: The wedding itself. 

Resolution: Cranky and Matilda are married, and there are fireworks. 

It was still completely messy. Sure, it technically had a plot, but it took a very far backseat to "LOOK EVERYBODY WE SAW YOUR HEADCANON AND PUT IT INTO THE SHOW AND REFERENCED POP CULTURE HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT"

I like fanservice as much as the next guy, but it should be used sparingly, along side actual plot and such. I feel like the writers started with jokes and fanservice and then built a bare-bones story around it.

• Brohoof 1

Must it?  No.  Will it?  Some yes, some no.  Is it?  Yes.

Ah, the greater philosophical questions.

I really loved it, though.  I still don't get all the complaints about it being nothing but pandering fanservice.  What's wrong with a little of that?  A franchise like this is different from something like Game of Thrones, based on a book that has all been written by one man, his vision, with no audience/fan influence.  I see no problem with fanservice in something like FIM.  I personally think it's amazing and mindblowing that so much brony-created stuff has been adopted by the writers as canon.  I mean, like Derpy for example.  We created her.  She was just an animation glitch, and we made her what she is.  How awesome is that?

Thank you for the insightful response. I was looking for more in-depth thoughts like this.

It IS awesome!! I've got to be honest really, while I watch the show now for its own merits, when I first started watching it was the FANDOM that kept me around. The show was fine, but didn't engage me in earlier days. So yeah, I'm happy this episode exists. I just feels really cool sitting here watching a fandom/creator relationship I've never seen anywhere else.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Same here!! XD

I don't ship either of those anyway, but I think the Lyra/BonBon one could have been handled better.

Vinyl and Octavia live together, but that's all that was said, so people can still do whatever they want.

But BOTH sides say that the friendship thing for LyraBon confirms their headcanons. The people for it say it was emphasized because the creators were trying to be really blatant (like, "WINK WINK ITS CANON, WE JUST CANT SAY SO") and the people against it will take the line at face value. I probably would have just had them hang out, and people can just draw their own conclusions like they always do.

Well, there is this tweet...

https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/609753614526119936

And if that wasn't enough to settle it:

https://twitter.com/M_A_Larson/status/608705364377239552

https://twitter.com/TheBiggestJim/status/608718990014152704

Edited by Knight Dash

The 100th episode is canon, but I'm pretty sure that won't stop many people from continuing their own fanfictions.

Tavi and Vinyl bust through the front of their house on a friggin wubmobile, literally jumping a shark plushie in the street before scooping up every background character in the show and carrying them to the gazebo, and then crash because they ran over the Twilicane.

Wubmobile ex machina?

• Brohoof 2