Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you say you take MLP 'seriously'?

SolyWack

I never really considered there to be a 'seriousness level' to watching My Little Pony. But people always seem to need to attach an arbitrary system to base how much you like something. In varies places where I have placed a well thought out topic, some people would always put: "You take MLP to seriously", or "I don't take it seriously enough to care".

So screw it, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Would you say you take mlp seriously? Do you analyze episodes for continuity? Do you notice plot holes the moment they are presented and try to tack an explanation onto them? Does the lore interest you, if the source is official of course?

Or maybe you take it at face value, as just a Saturday morning cartoon, a good show that you enjoy watching. You don't really care about inconsistencies and just chalk it up as 'cartoon logic'. You never get deep into analysis and brush it off if you cant explain it quick enough. Your enjoyment isn't bogged down by Plot Holes or shaky reasoning. *cough* Celestia *cough*

Or possibly something in between?

• Brohoof 2

I am in between all of this. I don't overly examine most of the show, but I do love the lore and worldbuilding if it is official. I love seeing the world of FiM become more fleshed out but I try to not over-analyze. I take the show seriously to a point, because I really, really love the show, but over analyzing and *trying* to find flaws or plot holes is not enjoyable to me, so I tend to avoid such things.

I am a weird mixture in between those options.

• Brohoof 2

Only thing I think is worth taking seriously are the morals because they're...well, morals.

Yeah, there will probably be episodes that rub me the wrong way but that's bound to happen with about any show.

• Brohoof 3

I could never be a serious MLP fan since I barely remember much. I'd need to go and read up some lore line by line to get anywhere near such a stage. If such a stage is even possible since new stuff always being spewed out it would be almost impossible to be on top all the time. There are so many outlets taking in new MLP Fandom creations all the time, there could be a site undiscovered yet with thousands of unseen MLP content.

Not really no. I shrug off a majority of stuff and I don't really get upset when headcanon is ruined or anything, mostly because I don't particularly have any.

Do you analyze episodes for continuity? Do you notice plot holes the moment they are presented and try to tack an explanation onto them?

It's a children's television cartoon...  :confused:

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely more of the type of viewer who takes the show at face value. I realize that, at the end of the day, it is a kid-friendly series made by people who come up the ideas as they go along, and no show is ever going to be perfect and free from plotholes or inconsistencies no matter the genre, target audience, etc. The important matters to me are the characters and the show's lessons. So long as our favorite ponies are handled with care and remain the complex and consistently well-written heroines that they are, and as long as the messages being conveyed are well and clear, then there isn't much beyond that that I think is worth seriously critiquing. I think we all have our inner analyst that likes to dig deep and review the show more critically, but overall as long as it's a fun and enjoyable experience, I think most fans just want to watch the show and enjoy it for what it is in spite of whatever "flaws" are present. The show's strengths greatly outweigh its cons, and it's still one of the best animated series on TV.

• Brohoof 2

Sometimes, usually to my determent at times. Every now and then I'm asking myself "does said episode live up to the hype MLP has built up?" which is usually no or just barely since expectations always exceed reality, ie wanting is better than having, but it tends to be for the 2-parters more so than the SoL type stories.

I'm game for a couple rounds of creating wild theories, but I'm perfectly fine if my overanalysis turns out to be wrong. In other words, I don't take my "seriousness" seriously.

Nope. It's just a really nice show. I only got here because the fandom is really fun. I'm just out to have a good time. To me personally, MLP: FiM would be a pretty average show without the community to complement it. So no, I don't take it all that seriously.

Little of both.

I typically just sit back and enjoy it (or not, if its not a good episode). If something strikes me as particularly interesting, I can dig a little deeper. I enjoy world building and growing characters, but trying to find all the flaws just kills the fun for me. I feel like I enjoy a few episodes that lots of people dislike as a result. (Trade Ya and Rainbow Falls comes to mind)

I've never felt the desire to really go in an analyze the episodes like a lot of people do. It's just not my thing.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing I don't take personally is one's character flaws or maybe inappropriate behavior in the show. I know a lot that take Rainbow Dash's arrogance and Rarity's tendency to be a snob once in a while to whole new personal levels as if they're the one given that treatment.

I honestly don't think It's mature and they're misunderstanding some key points and objectives in the show.

No not at all, while it's my favorite cartoon, it stops there.

I've sometimes seen bronies comparing MLP:FiM to religion, what the hell. :x

• Brohoof 1

I analyse and make head canons for fun, but its not from a position of being serious about it. Overthinking things is just how I find enjoyment in what I'm doing, and the more I enjoy it the more I over think it. The more I understand and flesh out in my mind, the more immersed in the story I become. Its really entertaining. 

I mostly take MLP seriously due to the comparisons between the storyline and the real world. For example, I believe that recently Discovered Earth Like planet is Equestria. Some things I cannot take seriously like Cartoon Logic is due to the writers using it as comic relief.

I take the show seriously in terms of giving it my full attention.  I am an analytical person but not a critic.  I don't critique the show, don't make reviews, but I do however take being a member here seriously.  

I love all the episodes.  There's literally only one episode I have spoken out in critique towards.  (I mean, come on, how the heck could she actually get her hoof stuck under that little rock?).

I might not be a critic or a reviewer, but I don't just "watch" the show, I indulge myself in each episode.  

I take being a brony as serious as I take being a gearhead.  And, I know a lot about cars.   :lol: 

~ Miles

I don't see why the show can't be taken both seriously and lightly. 

There are plenty of times I enjoy the show purely for its entertainment, quality and funny moments (a la Pinkie Pie  :lol: ).

There are also plenty of times the show makes me want to cry, get angry and think deeply about the morals and characters.

Think of it like the Pixar film Inside Out. There are times where we need to or can be happy, laugh and have a great time. there are also times we need to be sad, angry or think things out and be more serious. Pixar in general is like that, and in many regards similar to FiM: they don't try to sugarcoat or cater to just 1 group or emotion.

Sadness-Inside-Out-Wallpaper.jpg

- "I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil." 

• Brohoof 1

No, I don't really analyze for continuity or take the show seriously. Although continuity is awesome, it doesn't bother me too much because MLP is not a story driven drama.  I watch this show for one reason really, it's fun. A show about cartoon horses living in a fantasy world. Taking it seriously is very ridiculous, but there are times where it does get heavy (that young amending fences... wooh!)

But for the most part, no.

• Brohoof 1

I watch it for it's lighthearted nature. It's like Tetris just plug in and play, so simple but still fun. Humor is what I mainly look for. When it gets serious it doesn't go too far but enough to stay interesting.

• Brohoof 1