Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What bugs you about the Equestria Girls franchise?

ManaMinori

I'm bugged by quite a few things abut the franchise as a whole. I won't list them all, but just to name a few...I really dislike how it seems like EQG doesn't take risks, with its own main cast, or conflicts, but pretty much incorporates all it can from the MLP franchise, even beyond the first movie.

In Rainbow Rocks, I'm really irked by AJ's one line of "she's (Twilight) the one with the magical know-how to help us pull this thing off." In front of Sunset Shimmer. Who was the one who came up with the whole idea to use a magical musical counter spell, to begin with, a minute ago!

In fact all of RR seemed like it didn't give Sunny enough recognition for all that she tried to do.

Also, the franchise limiting itself to the same cast of MLP dealing with MLP's magical issues in their world, and not giving enough time to develop its mane cast in a way that differs fom MLP's cast development (except Sunset shimmer). Or even its villain characters, who have little chance of returning beyond the movie that they premeired in.

What bugs you guys about the EqG franchise?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with you. I felt sorry for Sunset Shimmer. She was a student of Celestia too, it's not like she didn't have magical abilities. Instead they were like "Twilight's the answer!" and kinda just pushed her to the side. I was glad by the end they became more accepting of her but the whole movie it was as if they still didn't trust her even though they were claiming to have forgiven her. If it were me, I would have felt pretty sad my friends formed a band, didn't ask me to join and then depended on someone else to defeat the villain. I think by the end Sunset crept out of the shadow of Twilight, but I would have liked that to happen earlier. 

• Brohoof 2

I agree with you. I felt sorry for Sunset Shimmer. She was a student of Celestia too, it's not like she didn't have magical abilities. Instead they were like "Twilight's the answer!" and kinda just pushed her to the side. I was glad by the end they became more accepting of her but the whole movie it was as if they still didn't trust her even though they were claiming to have forgiven her. If it were me, I would have felt pretty sad my friends formed a band, didn't ask me to join and then depended on someone else to defeat the villain. I think by the end Sunset crept out of the shadow of Twilight, but I would have liked that to happen earlier. 

The way they handled the whole thing just felt like it was trying to push a lesson of "if you have skills and knowledge on something that you excel in, don't apply it, unless someone asks you for your help." Just seems like a massive downer, and disservice to poor Sunny. Like majoring in a subject and skill, and instead of sending out resumes, selling yourself, putting yourself in the job market, you gotta wait until someone whose company is in the red comes to you, without even looking at your resume. That's how RR was.

True that! I was sad how much they excluded Sunset Shimmer! Im glad she finally got the acceptance she deserved 

I think the mane 6 was just weary of her because she had gone so coocoo bananas before. They depended on Twilight because that's what they were used to doing, she was easier to turn to. it's not like they didn't believe she was smart, or capable of helping them (because obviously she was very cunning) I think it's just that they were not being a true friend to Sunset Shimmer and had to learn to forgive/trust. 

Human Pinkie Pie bugs me. Her weird jokes just aren't as funny as when a pink pony makes them.

I also got a problem with the art style in general, even though I've warmed up to it by now. The eyes just seem too big and the noses too small. And the skin colours. I can't really take the characters seriously when some of them got purple and blue skin.

Lastly, they should give less lady-like characters like RD and AJ some proper pants. I can't really see them wearing skirts.

Many people might say this, but my one major problem is how they seem to attempt to shove a romantic interest down our throats with FLashlight. I have no problem with relationships with the mane6 but when a character is made for twilight, and her alone it bugs me. Along with how the show is called Friendship is magic, not romance is magic. It turned my little pony into a typical high school movie, just with added magic. Also made Twilight seem rather shallow, since her liking of flash seemed to come off from his looks alone.

• Brohoof 1

Where's the human Sunset Shimmer? Is there an identical girl somewhere in the world? Dr. Wolf proposed a theory that pony twilight was using human twilight's body while human twilight's mind laid dormant. repercussions of that are horrifying.

Also, do humans live thousands of years in EQG? If not, how is there a Principal Celestia?oh yea, one more thing: PRINCIPAL!? How is all of Equestria consolidated in a single high school?

Edited by DaisyDream
  • Brohoof 1

I'm surprised I havnt herd this yet but the rainbow dash wearing a skirt, lets seriously think how much of a tomboy she is, everytime I see her in a human form she never wears a skirt unless forced too look at "art of the dress" for luna's sake.

another thing that bugs me, any type of highschool style story, unless it turns into an coming of age story anything related to highschool just turns me off that or an good comidy. True they have done a good job with pinki im glad to see but even then I kinda feel sorry for the main 6/7.

I feel like Equestria Girls just takes the charm of MLP: FiM and essentially kills it, and then there's the fact that characters like Flash Sentry are just barely developed and his traits are based ENTIRELY ON A BUCKING STEREOTYPE!!!!!. It also kind of bothers me that, since I've recently started liking Sunset Shimmer a little, that I'll have to keep buying EqG DVDs despite my negative opinion on the movies (including RR) in order to see her character develop. 

There is probably more things that bug me about EqG, but it is best I write a blog post about it

Edited by shoyrumaster11
  • Brohoof 1

The fact that it leaves me completly cold and numb, because as hard as i try to care for any of these characters, i can't get myself invested to it.

EDIT: To be fair, this franchise would be alot more fun, if it had Lamias in it. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

It's a pretty weird thing to get bugged by, but my main peeve with it would be the skin colors. Multicolor pastel horses are cute and, well, colorful, but multicolor pastel humans look more like a group of mutants to me. Other than that, not much, not even Flash Sentry, since I forget he exists after he's off-screen. :P

• Brohoof 2

Only thing bugs me about it is if they don't start in making episodes off it after this third movie. If it's that good to get to a third movie, then it should become a spin-off already. With episodes, characters can get some development, spotlight, and more. Events doesn't even have to take place in school all the time too.

The fact that it doesn't have it's own show yet. One year for each movie too long for me...

And the lipstick

I hate the lips thing. Two characters who normally appear with lips are shown for one moment during Rainbow Dashes song in the 10 minute teaser of Friendship Games and they both looked way cuter without the lips.

Edited by Evil_Emperor
  • Brohoof 1

I'd have to say the character designs, or more specifically, what clothing they wear. Especially their legs/shoes, as their "shoes" almost go all the way to their knees! Also because Rainbow Dash is definitely the sort of character who wouldn't wear a skirt, but that's just my opinion...

Edited by Mr Unknown

What I didn't like about Rainbow Rocks is that they made all the Humane six turn against each other and act really bitchy to each other just to boost Sunset Shimmer's character. They all were made out to be a dysfunctional group and Sunset was the only one who acted rational. We get so little screen time of the Humane Six compared to the Mane Six that it really damages their character and separates them further from their pony counterparts.

Also, WHY IS RAINBOW DASH WEARING A SKIRT!?!?