Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one that thought Rainbow Dash was a boy in the beginning?

cider float

Yes! Well, in the beginning I kinda considered her gender-neutral because of her tomboyishness, but she has some male traits that would make it tricky to figure it out. It wasn't until I looked her up on Google that I knew for sure she was female.

When I was 5 I thought that Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls was a boy. dx.  But being older, I can now tell the difference. I always knew Rainbow Dash was a girl(eye lashes gave it away. dx.). Maybe if I was 5 again I would make the same mistake? I'm not surprised if the target audience was confused at first too. 

I always knew from the beginning that Rainbow Dash was female, even before when I first began to watch the show. The slender body and the eyelashes give it away, as well as the fact that she is one of the main characters of a TV show that is marketed towards girls.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

My mom thinks Applejacks a boy.. I have to constantly remind her that no, MOM, Applejack is a lady.
She knows Rainbow Dash is a girl from previous generations though, I've loved ponies since the womb apparently LOL.

The eyelashes tho...  :P

(Funny how eyelashes are always associated with female characters... Why eyelashes?)

Actually in the newest episode there were some background stallions with eyelashes!

Edited by Snake
  • Brohoof 1

The one I thought was a boy was Scootaloo.  It's the haircut.  Back in the 1950s & 60s half the guys in school had that haircut.  I was watching MLP with my niece, saw Scootaloo for the 1st time & called her "him".  Being patronized by a 5 year old just made my day. 

Took me a couple of episodes after I first started watching, until I knew Rainbow Dash was a female. I only realized because there was a moment when someone was talking about her and when he/she was referring to her, they referred to her as "her". 

Made me go on the internet and look up the information. 

• Brohoof 1

Actually in the newest episode there were some background stallions with eyelashes!

Yeah, I noticed them, too! And they were fabulous!  :love:

So I guess visible eyelashes = make-up, which is still automatically associated with ladies... (Outdated stereotype, but I guess it's planted deep within our subconsciousness?)

But as for the newest episode - stage performers wearing make-up make perfect sense no matter what gender they represent.... right?

• Brohoof 1

I'm kinda surprised so many people thought RD was a boy. I mean, she has the same body shape as the other female characters(and we clearly saw male bodies before her appearance), and her voice was rough but never sounded boyish or masculine