Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one that thought Rainbow Dash was a boy in the beginning?

cider float

Yes. You the ONLY person. (who said "cupine".)

Someone get mai reference pls. :kindness:

"PORK LOIN!  L-I-O-N LOIN!"  :D  (Family Feud, much?)

In all seriousness, I knew she was a female the moment I saw her.

• Brohoof 1

The one I thought was a boy was Scootaloo.  It's the haircut.  Back in the 1950s & 60s half the guys in school had that haircut.  I was watching MLP with my niece, saw Scootaloo for the 1st time & called her "him".  Being patronized by a 5 year old just made my day. 

i always knew that rainbow dash was a girl, but for a few episodes, could not figure out if scootaloo was a boy or girl.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, the first time I saw the show was her doing a sonic rainboom in Sonic rainboom.
her voice plus her personality and her leaping in to save Rarity, the traditional very girly character, made me think that Dash was the Token boy pony on the show.

Once I went and watched the first two episodes I quickly realized she was a girl, but yeah, the first time I saw her I thought she was a guy for a bit. Apparently its a very common misconception, from what i hear parents at the Pony conventions actually ask that question of "is that pony a boy" alot.

I first started watching MLP by watching random episodes instead of in order. The reason for this is because I used to think MLP was a little girl's show, and for cartoons I don't care much about I don't watch them in order because why keep track of a show that you don't care about? So since I watched them randomly, I heard the ponies refer to Rainbow Dash as ''her'' so I knew all along. Though I an anti-brony I converted thought that RD was a male. Probably because most females aren't tomboys.

Edited by gamecubeguy214

I don't remember if I got confused, but my mother still keeps referring to her as a boy even though I said her a couple of times that she is a girl :lol:. The blue color and her male sounding voice doesn't help matters :P

Anyways, what did took me a while to figure out was that in MLP boys have a squared muzzle while girls have a round one :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I noticed that she was a tomboy, but I didn't think she was a boy. She has the female pony design, and the rest of the mane six are female, so I assumed she was a girl. I can see how others can mistake her for a boy though.

• 2 weeks later...

No. At the time I was too busy trying to figure out WHAT I was watching... and WHY I was still watching it to that point. It wasn't what I was expecting, having seen some of the old MLP as a kid. ^_^

This kinda is what was going on at the time @@Mesme Rize, :lol:

post-24370-0-48845100-1449942484.gif

Edited by Cirrus.

I thought Dashie, Applejack, Scootaloo, DJ Pon, and Derpy were all boys for awhile.  I still get a little baffled by the Wonderbolts.  I called Dashie "him" for a long time - still slip up once in a while. But Dashie was my favorite at first.  But I didn't like Rarity or Pinky Pie too much back then - too girly.  Now I love them all, especially Pinky.  Oddly, Dashie is only my 7th favorite pony now - but I still think she has the best color-scheme. 

I get that part of Lauren Faust's deal was doing empowered female characters, and I think that's a really good and important thing.  But the show sometimes feels a little unbalanced to me - and the regular male characters less developed.  They have done better in season 5 with this, especially with Big Macintosh (what hidden depths he turned out to have!)  And then there's Cranky Doodle and Troubleshoes. 

I know I'm in the minority in liking the Troubleshoes episode a lot.  I think a lot of it is how he is drawn.  That face!  I also like the look of Double Diamond, but I hate the way he takes.  And don't get me started on Shining Armor.  Eeeesh!  Too cookie-cutter Prince! 

But Dash was an intriguing character for me.  I was a censured tomboy as a girl - always catching hell for hating pink, dolls and dresses.  I loved horses, climbing trees and hanging out with my animals.  I wanted to be a boy.  If I'd been born 25 years later I probably would be a boy now. 

Dash was so at home in her competitive, brash persona - like I couldn't be - I just naturally thought she must be a boy.  But once I learned she was a girl, I was happy that she could be who she was without fear.  And the acceptance that she had from the other Mane Six - even Rarity - made me love them all even more. 

• Brohoof 2

I knew right away she was a mare. After watching her a ton, I feel like she could be a boy NOW more than I felt in the beginning. I dunno, RD in the previous version had Rarity's accent and demeanor so I've always felt that RD was altered to be more appealing to the LGBT audience, what with the rainbow mane and tail and all. But I have no idea what motivated the writers or artists so that's pure speculation on my part. Either way I like her much better as a Pegasus with her current personality, and Rarity with her current personality.

Rainbow Dash? No, though my brother did get it confused at first upon seeing her. However, the one that confused me for the longest time, was Vinyl Scratch. For a long while, I thought that she was a male. My brother also thought this, but that was until I learned about the muzzle distinction. After that I was like "Oooooooooooooooooooooh. Okay."

Before I had started watching the show, from everything I had heard and seen about her I did assume that Rainbow was a guy. It was after I had seen a few episodes I started to catch on that she was a girl and I had asked my girlfriend if she knew what gender Rainbow was and yes, she did know that Rainbow was a girl.

My first acknowledgement of RD came from seeing pony merch in my local stores. Just from a visual standpoint, nothing really differentiated RD from the other Mane 6 (colours/species aside) so I just assumed she was a girl as well. Having said that, pretty much everyone who I have introduced FiM to assumes that RD is a boy.