Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people hate Flash Sentry?

MermaidPony

Flash gets his hate because he has no real personality, nor does he have any impact on the movies - he's pretty much nothing but filler and he doesn't need to be there.

He's just the super cliche cool pretty-boy that's usually reserved for shitty teen movies like Highschool Musical or something, (I haven't even seen HM but I can pretty much guarantee that it has its own Flash Sentry) and this gen of MLP is known to most of its fans as something that distances itself from other shows with similar premises in terms of quality, so when something cliche like this happens, it just feels cheap.

On top of that you have poor character design too.

Some feel like their crush is unrealistic, but I've experienced that weird "why do I like you?" feeling. Sometimes even people I've barely talked to. I think if the future EQG movies expand on flash's personality (or maybe even the show) more people will warm up to their 'relationship' if it goes that way.

I too am a person who doesn't get the hate. I have no problem with Human Flash getting together with Human Twilight. And I also have no problem with pony Flash hooking up with pony Twilight. It's the human X pony thing I have a problem with, but sightly and EG knows not to hook them up cuz it would be bestiality. But now that we've got human twilight in the mix, they're gonna hook her up with human Flash and nothing is wrong with that.

MLP however will be more difficult. Pony Twilight is more empowered. Hell we all know that their 1st date is gonna be pony Flash trying to act all heroic infront of pony Twilight and Twilight is gonna have to put her hoof down and explain that she doesn't need saving & etc. And honestly I still wouldn't have a problem with that, cuz it makes them look more realistic that way.

Because his personality is bland and flat, and he's only there to be a love interest for Twilight Sparkle. The only important thing he even did (which was when he proved the pictures Luna had of Twilight were fake in the first movie) could've easily be done by one of the Mane 6 or Luna realizing the images were obviously fake.

I mean, he's nice and all, but that's kind of it.

The real answers why he's so disliked and is such a bad character can be explained in my analysis.

To put it briefly:

1. He's a Gary Stu. Perfect in every way, and any "flaw" shown by him is massively contrived.
  2. He's twenty time less personality than generic cardboard.
  3. His whole identity is him being Twilight's love interest, and Twilight fancied him via only his looks. No true challenges or goals exist beyond this. Other than that, he's filler: Cut him out, you remove an unneeded flaw in the spinoff.

Because of his colors. Think about it; complementary colors (blue mane, orange body) make him look a bit too 'showy.'

For comparison, Twilight Sparkle is, for the most part, monochromatic. Her mane is dark purple, her mane highlights are magenta and violet, and her body is a light purple. Monochromatic can convey the sense of calmness and elegance.

As for Flash's complementary colors, they show contrast and create attention towards him.

I've also seen the joke that pony Flash Sentry is basically Twilight dating her brother as both are guard captains, both have sheild based cutie marks, etc...

(Ofc Twilight doesn't see this at all and Cadence remarks how its "totally not creepy at all." XD)

Edited by Malinter

I dont get it either, he may com off as cliche and boring but a guys gonna try his best to look good around a peron they like. Thats why i think he comes off as cliche but i am getting a bit sick of him just being there and i wish the writers would do something with him

I've never hated Flash, I just thought he was boring and needed a bit more character depth.

There is a curious parallel I'd like to bring up that I think some of you may find interesting. The amount of hatred for Flash seems to resemble the amount of hatred for another boring character not in the Pony fandom but in Buffy fandom. His name is Riley and he was introduced in Season 4 as a romantic Interest for Buffy and the fans were livid. I was into the Buffy Fandom/Message boards when I was younger and I was surprised at the downright vitriol that was spewed at this guy.

Now part of this had to do that in the previous seasons we had this complex relationship between Buffy and Angel with not only it being a forbidden romance but also the two characters seemed to be on par with one another depth and strength wise. Then we have Riley, a human character who is a member of a military thing, but compared to Buffy the vampire slayer, he is not even remotely on her level. It wasn't that he was useless, far from it actually but he wasn't as strong as a vampire or a vampire slayer.  Now emotionally wise, he's stable and was actually one of the healthier relationships Buffy was in. Unfortunately though, fans didn't see it that way. 

I find that Flash's reception was similar to Riley's since both characters were a bit on the boring side, safe characters that are easy to write and hard to mess up. People find both of them not "good enough" for their main characters or find them to be "Marty Stu's perfect in every way". While the Mary Sue and Marty stu thing is another discussion about how some don't know how to criticize characters in a constructive way without using a seemingly catch all term for describing things they don't like in fiction or characters, I don't think etheir characters fit into the category of "Too perfect." because they're just boring as cleaning a box of hearing aides. I think Flash is just a lack-Luster character that's being used as a plot device rather than an actual relationship. Say what you will about other romantic relationships in shows, but at least they try to develop it, they might not succeed but they do try. 

• Brohoof 1

I dont get it either, he may com off as cliche and boring but a guys gonna try his best to look good around a peron they like. Thats why i think he comes off as cliche but i am getting a bit sick of him just being there and i wish the writers would do something with him

Yeam, me too, but the writers seem to purposedly push him away now judging by his progressively lesser importance between the movies. Man, at least give pony Twi some guards and Flashy among them in the backgriund at least. It would be funny to see him being a bit awkward from time on time in the background

Flash is a character who has an aura of being forced into the movie by executive meddling.

'Oh, this is a high school movie and therefore Twilight needs a love interest.'

'We don't really have a role for him, though.'

'Don't care, put him in.'

Because of this he has the personality of a cardboard cutout powered by depleted cliches. (Bump into hello, popular girl's boyfriend, hate plague etc.) I wouldn't mind him as much if they'd give him the development Sunset has received after the first movie (in which she, too, was a cliche-driven cardboard cutout) but since he has zero impact on the plot he probably won't get it...unless they eventually get him together with Sci-Twi or something like that. (Which I would heartily support because it leaves plenty of room for Sunset and Twilight to hook up. ...I'll keep dreaming over here...)

Brad (Human Flash, I'd like to think we know more about pony Flash, and so I seperate the two like many others) is a pointless character. He has no reason to exist, and if you cut him out of the story, nothing changes. He has no personality and is simply there to be created for Twilight (Literally, even their colour schemes are complimenting each other). That is why I dislike him.

I just really dislike EG. If he first appeared in the actual show and the crush developed there, I'd be more okay with it. I don't mind Twilight having a crush, I could even accept her having a "special somepony" if it doesn't become a  focal point of the show. That being said, I'd rather it just remain a crush and the mane 6 remain single.

I think if this romance stuff gets a level up - it will eventually ruin everything. If Twilight will be with Flash Sentry, then other characters of Mane 6 will too a 'love interest' too. It kinda makes everything weird. I don't dislike Flash Sentry, but the circumstances make me. And he's the reason I dislike Cheese Sandwich, because he is probably (which is not quite likely, not possible in any alternate universe) a potential 'crush'. I hope it won't come to this.

I think he just used for a reason for "fan rage" if anything or that he even looked at Twilight in any romance of way or even mean way .

• 3 years later...