Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which pony would make the best mother?

cider float

Applejack seems to be the best mother since she pretty much taken up the position as the head of the household since her parents were "gone."

She's a really good role model for Apple Bloom and there doesn't seem to be almost no conflict between her and Apple Bloom probably due to Applejack's care unlike Rarity and Sweetie Belle. 

She makes a good role model because she can be either tomboyish but also feminine when she wants to be, she has a strong maternal side to her, she's a great cook and a hard worker in the fields. She balances strictness and compassion very well. Many parents have a hard time staying in the middle of the extremes.

• Brohoof 1

Button's mom  ;)

Nah just kidding. Aj would be good for sure, she seems like the type who wouldn't shirk responsibility but would also be fair in reward and punishment, taking care of someone young, etc. Lets hope Cadence is good at being a mother if we do end up getting a follow up episode to the one were pinkie pie knows.

• Brohoof 2

I'd say best mom would be Celestia. She's always shown that maternal side of hers with Twi and some other ponies.

mlfw10651-523099__safe_solo_princesscele

Out of the mane 6, I agree with you, it would definitely be Applejack.

Button's mom  ;)

Nah just kidding. Aj would be good for sure, she seems like the type who wouldn't shirk responsibility but would also be fair in reward and punishment, taking care of someone young, etc. Lets hope Cadence is good at being a mother if we do end up getting a follow up episode to the one were pinkie pie knows.

393403__safe_bedroom%2Beyes_button%2527s

Button's mom has it going on. 

• Brohoof 2

My first thought was Fluttershy because of her kindness and how she is able to be stern and get control of situations when she really needs to. But, after reading the other posts, I have to agree that Applejack would be the better mother because 99% of the time, Fluttershy is too soft spoken. Applejack on the other hoof has already been in that position for so long as cider float has said. Another reason I think Applejack would be the best, is out of all the main 6, I think she has the best morals. She is an extremely  hard worker, always honest, and very kind and loving.  :icwudt:

• Brohoof 4

My first thought was Fluttershy because of her kindness and how she is able to be stern and get control of situations when she really needs to. But, after reading the other posts, I have to agree that Applejack would be the better mother because 99% of the time, Fluttershy is too soft spoken. Applejack on the other hoof has already been in that position for so long as cider float has said. Another reason I think Applejack would be the best, is out of all the main 6, I think she has the best morals. She is an extremely  hard worker, always honest, and very kind and loving.  :icwudt:

Poor thing, now I can't stop imagining Flutter's children  manipulating her  :(

• Brohoof 3

Poor thing, now I can't stop imagining Flutter's children  manipulating her 

Seriously! I think she would do great when they are newborns, but once they get around the CMC's age, I could just see it going downhill from there. 

• Brohoof 2

Applejack. DEFINITELY applejack.

She incredibly caring, kind, dependable, hardworking and an incredible home maker. but on top of all that, she is still FIRM. this is a big thing.

Fluttershy is a great and caring character and very motherly, but she's also a pushover who's scared of hurting others. As such, she'd have a very hard time disciplining her children and keeping them in line. I mean, look at Angel! he's basically her child and he's HORRIBLY spoiled.

On the other hand applebloom might as well be AJ's kid with how she's raising her, and she's doing an incredible job as a surrogate mother.

• Brohoof 2

She incredibly caring, kind, dependable, hardworking and an incredible home maker. but on top of all that, she is still FIRM. this is a big thing.

Fluttershy is a great and caring character and very motherly, but she's also a pushover who's scared of hurting others. As such, she'd have a very hard time disciplining her children and keeping them in line. I mean, look at Angel! he's basically her child and he's HORRIBLY spoiled.

On the other hand applebloom might as well be AJ's kid with how she's raising her, and she's doing an incredible job as a surrogate mother.

And even with all that farm work she does she has enough time to go spend it with Apple Bloom on Sisterhooves Social. I would think she would just like to go and unwind afterward.

Probably Fluttershy. She's very caring, gentle, loving, patient and sweet. However, she knows how to put her hoof down when her animal friends get out of line. I'm sure she'd make a great mother.

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie is too hyper and probably kill her kids by accident

Twilight is too prone to going insane over the slightest thing

Fluttershy only works with animals

Dash would be the kind of mother that'd dump her kid in an orphanage or get an abortion so she doesn't get drummed out of the Wonderbolts

Rarity is too obsessed with fashion

Applejack is too busy keeping the farm afloat

• Brohoof 1

OMG, Coloratura seems to be the kind and loving type!

Though if I could choose who my mother was, I'd definitely want it to be Littlepip from Fallout Equestria, mainly out of sheer curiosity to see what might those awkward moments growing up with her would be like if that were to happened. I could be raised as a badass for all I know. <3

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

The latest episode had RD move several notches up on the "Best Mom" scale

1521122__safe_screencap_rainbow+dash_sco

1520635__safe_screencap_rainbow+dash_sco

1520376__safe_screencap_rainbow+dash_sco

1520638__safe_screencap_applejack_rainbo

Edited by Apollo Justice

12 minutes ago, Apollo Justice said:

The latest episode had RD move several notches up on the "Best Mom" scale

Not convinced - she was too reckless, first with poisonous berries, then kicking down the cave ceiling which, even though it didn't bring anything down on scoots, could have done (and triggered the panic she should have known was coming given her earlier fears)

She is getting there as a surrogate big sister, but has a way to go yet....

• Brohoof 3

As far as season 7 goes, my order for who would be a better mom among the mane 6 is:

1. Applejack - Has proven to be sort of a mother figure to Apple Bloom since S1 and has been improving at it since then.

2. Fluttershy - Is the most care giving among the mane 6 and has learned how to be assertive, although Angel still seems to know what strings to pull for her to be a pushover I don't think she would let any of her foals grow to be that way.

3. Twilight - She has a good amount of experience taking care of Spike. She has also taken care of Flurryheart and, as methodic as she is, Twilight probably set up a step by step guide to care for her niece after Flurry of Emotions. She would most likely be a very strict mother.

4. Pinkie Pie - It's safe to asume that her years (around two in my headcanon) of babysitting the cake babies should be enough for her to take care of her own foals, but I can see her having trouble once those foals grow a few years.

5&6. Rarity/Rainbow Dash: At this point, these two have little experience with their litlle sisters since it's clear to me that they act seldomly as mothers towards them. For me it's difficult to say who would be better, both of them have plus and cons. RD is a bit careless when performing any task, but is highly care giving and kind (showed with Scootaloo and Tank). Rarity is too focused on her job and has little time because of it, but with her highly detailed manners and great common sense she would probably grasp quickly how to perform as a mother.

• Brohoof 3

Fluttershy has motherly traits, that show through her kindness and sympathy towards others. She can use The Stare when her foals are being naughty. Hell, she even put Discord in his place at times. She has a gentle touch and a firm hoof. Remember, she also foal sat the CMC once upon a time.  She's also a good mother figure towards her brother, than their own mother would ever be. Fluttershy is more suited to being a mother, but there are other characters that are suited as well.

Applejack is more mature and has more experience since she pretty much raised Applebloom. Applejack also values family. 

Edited by FemaleIntrovert1995
  • Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

Fluttershy has motherly traits, that show through her kindness and sympathy towards others. She can use The Stare when her foals are being naughty. Hell, she even put Discord in his place at times. She has a gentle touch and a firm hoof. Remember, she also foal say the CMC once upon a time. Fluttershy is more suited to being a mother, but there are other characters that are suited as well. She's also a good mother figure towards her brother, than their own mother would ever be. 

Yes, I agree. While the staremaster episode was still back when she was struggling to raise her voice above a whisper, she has learned to be a lot more assertive now so could probably keep a bunch of fillies more in line, and she is a solid, dependable character. She would make a great mother, provided somepony could get past her social anxiety to the point they could date....

5 minutes ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

Applejack is more mature and has more experience since she pretty much raised Applebloom. Applejack also values family.

Yup again. Plus of course the apple family is all about extended family values, so she wouldn't be doing it on her own - in contrast to Fluttershy who really couldn't count on much if any help from hers.

• Brohoof 2

On 12/3/2015 at 10:34 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

Fluttershy isn't really a pushover, whenever she get's pushed around too hard she lashes back. She had this property since the beginning, but it's she's become more stable and dependable as time went on. 

• Brohoof 2

Applejack being honest, sincere, independent, strong and most of all being around the important aspect of family really makes her the best candidate for a lovely mother. She exhibits her motherly side towards Applebloom so naturally.

• Brohoof 1

I think Applejack is a bit too harsh/stubborn. I can imagine her pulling a "Perfect Pear" and accidentally traumatizing her kid. Look at how she treated Apple Bloom in "The Cart Before the Ponies."

I'm going to have to go with Fluttershy. She has improved significantly at being assertive yet is still compassionate and gentle.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 2

As a parent I feel duty bound to say that all of the Mane Six exhibit traits that good parents have. Good parents also have flaws -- parenting is a learning experience after all -- so I'm not suggesting that any of them would be bad parents at all. 

That said, I think Applejack is the one best suited and most well rounded with the best built in support network. 

I would have to agree with the consensus and say that out of the main cast, that Applejack is the most suited for being a parent.

She is the most levelheaded and sane out of the mane 6, had to grow up and become responsible at a young age, and generally has experiencing, seeing how she kinda had to raise Apple Bloom after their parents passed away.

• Brohoof 1