Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think the world will look like in 2070

Lithophila

Completely insulated buildings? That's entirely possible with the means we have right now. It's the same technology that allows people to ride in airplanes with the same atmosphere as when the plane was closed for take off. It would be difficult to retrofit these measures on to some buildings right now, but wholesale new structures could handle it. Less windows, if any, air locks at all entrances and exits, etc.

I was thinking more about the climate and atmosphere which can be maintained and controlled artificially. 

I was thinking more about the climate and atmosphere which can be maintained and controlled artificially. 

Well on a small enough scale certainly. There are air sealed labs with air that's cleaner than nature has ever achieved, said theoretical habitat doesn't even need to have air that clean, just clean enough to breathe and not hot enough inside to cook the denizens.

Well a ecosystem doesn't just consist of humans and plants. We would need animals if we want it to work in the long run.

Very true, but not only are we developing better methods of cloning meat which would make farming obsolete, but even then we could still farm in similar facilities dedicated to farming and send the meat to the actual human shelters.

• Brohoof 1

Very true, but not only are we developing better methods of cloning meat which would make farming obsolete, but even then we could still farm in similar facilities dedicated to farming and send the meat to the actual human shelters.

I wasn't talking about livestock. I'm talking about bees and such animals.

Anyway this solution wouldn't help in the long run. Something will break and then humanity will be gone.

I wasn't talking about livestock. I'm talking about bees and such animals.

Anyway this solution wouldn't help in the long run. Something will break and then humanity will be gone.

We'll fix whatever broke. One facility might fail, but then another will learn from the failed one. Again, at least I'm actually offering some possible solutions, all you three seem to be doing is simply laying out how screwed we are and not what can and/or should be done about it.

• Brohoof 1

We'll fix whatever broke. One facility might fail, but then another will learn from the failed one. Again, at least I'm actually offering some possible solutions, all you three seem to be doing is simply laying out how screwed we are and not what can and/or should be done about it.

I don't actually know what can and should be done about this. What I do know however, is that your ideas won't work. 

We'll fix whatever broke.

A world in which humanity needs to create their own ecosystem is not a world in which they'll be able to fix whatever that's broken.

what can and/or should be done about it.

Well there's really no that many things that can be done about it. Everyone would have to stop living the way we live now. I don't think that that's possible.

Well there's really no that many things that can be done about it. Everyone would have to stop living the way we live now. I don't think that that's possible.

Truly? You think after all the social changes that have happened during human history and now we've reached an arbitrary glass ceiling by which nothing can motivate people to change? 

• Brohoof 1

Truly? You think after all the social changes that have happened during human history and now we've reached an arbitrary glass ceiling by which nothing can motivate people to change?

Well yes. I believe that greed and ignorance will make sure that humanity will go down. Edited by Gestum

I don't actually know what can and should be done about this. What I do know however, is that your ideas won't work. 

I said from the beginning, I'm not the expert to talk about this but again, at least I'm actually trying to think of solutions.

If I come to someone and say, "there is X happening, so Y is going to happen." That's not helping, "there is X happening, so Y is going to happen, unless we do Z." THAT is helping.

“If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem.”

― Eldridge Cleaver

Well yes. I believe that greed and ignorance will make sure that humanity will go down.

Humanity has improved socially in ways our ancestors of a thousand years ago would not even imagine, could not even imagine. Greed of all things has never been in short supply from the Fertile Crescent onward yet we are still here. Why would society, in a global and interconnected, world especially, suddenly just lock in place socially and culturally. Hell look at the nineties compared to now. We haven't stopped changing, we're changing faster now than we ever have!

• Brohoof 2

At the rate we're going, like this: 
earthnoice.jpg

No ice caps, severe flooding, massive overpopulation, little rainforest left as the Amazon is obliterated to clear room for the agriculture necessary to feed a population of nearly 10 billion. Massive extinctions occur, leading to the collapse of entire ecosystems. Elephants and rhinos are extinct, lions, other big cats, and most of the greater apes are considered critically endangered, many are already extinct. Fishing stocks have plummeted, and entire landmasses are now created from garbage. Because of the melted ice caps, land has now shrunk, pushing us to live in more high rises. Our cities probably will look like this: 
8jl80iN.jpg
cs5WfJt.jpg
Good news is, we'll have started colonizing Mars by then, so we'll have a Plan(et) B. If we haven't, we're fucked.

Our phones will probably be like this: 

And everybody will still be just as ignorant with them.

Weather: more extreme. We'd have to build coastal cities like above in order for them to withstand the new Cat. 6 hurricanes, while our plains would likely be ravaged annually by great storms and tornadoes. What's left of the temperate regions (the ones that haven't succumbed to desertification) will experience severe annual blizzards and possibly even mountains of snow. 

Economy: destroyed. Humanity has to resort back to a city-state like economy, equivalent to Ancient Greece, and pre-Cesarean Rome. U.S. is likely in a state of constant warfare, the Middle East has been nuked, same with North Korea, leaving portions of China and all of South Korea abandoned from the nuclear fallout. Speaking of which, China is now the new U.S. in terms of global economic power. While the U.S. has been reduced to a no-man's land, where guns are basically a currency, China is the new shining beacon of humanity. Just labor laws, collapse of Communism and the adoption of Eisenhower style capitalism. They and Japan are still rivals, but are less bitter than they had in the past. Now they serve more as competitors, each trying to outdo each other in terms of green energy, and economic prowess. Meanwhile, Britain, Germany, and the Nordic countries are basically the US as they should have been: 100% green energy (most of the components of which coming from either China or Japan), fresh, clean water, stable populations, low crime rates, and the best education and medicine in the world. (US is still using crony-capiatlism and has repealed the ACA, making private insurance worse than it's ever been).

On the other hand, it's possible that we turn things around, become a beacon of Utopian ideals, and the ideas that started in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany spread to the rest of the world. We stabilize our population growth, adopt 100% green energy, increase value on education, and utilize stricter gun laws. We reign in capitalism to make it become more like it was under Eisenhower, and make sure the rich pull their weight. We enact massive conservation efforts, and are able to clone some of the animals that went extinct because of us. North Korea blows themselves up with a nuke by accident, and the Middle East bands together against radicalism. The U.S. sees the error of its way, makes voting an inalienable right, and we're colonizing Mars out of scientific curiosity rather than desperate necessity. But, that's probably more naive than anything. 

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

I mean, as outlandish as this sounds, we could build insulated arcologies where the climate and atmosphere within can be maintained and controlled artificially. Sounds like something out of sci-fi, I admit, but at least it's an idea for how we can live.

This is a valiant effort my friend, but perhaps you should not take the claim that we will be suffering the apocalypse within a time span of 55 years at face value, rather than proposing solutions to surviving said apocalypse, as cool as they may be.  Barring completely unforeseen circumstances, our ecosystem will be around for a very long time, and us with it.

At the rate we're going, like this:    No ice caps, severe flooding, massive overpopulation, little rainforest left as the Amazon is obliterated to clear room for the agriculture necessary to feed a population of nearly 10 billion. Massive extinctions occur, leading to the collapse of entire ecosystems. Elephants and rhinos are extinct, lions, other big cats, and most of the greater apes are considered critically endangered, many are already extinct. Fishing stocks have plummeted, and entire landmasses are now created from garbage. Because of the melted ice caps, land has now shrunk, pushing us to live in more high rises. Our cities probably will look like this: 

Or alternatively:

CMIP5-90-models-global-Tsfc-vs-obs-thru- 

The numerical models these apocalyptic prophecies are loosely based on turn out to be false and the quality of living continues to improve thanks to advancing technology, globalization and the continued expansion of the internet.  Using language translation technology built into telecommunications software, all the people of the world become connected, diminishing violence and warfare.

On the other hand, it's possible that we turn things around, become a beacon of Utopian ideals, and the ideas that started in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany spread to the rest of the world. We stabilize our population growth, adopt 100% green energy, increase value on education, and utilize stricter gun laws. We reign in capitalism to make it become more like it was under Eisenhower, and make sure the rich pull their weight. We enact massive conservation efforts, and are able to clone some of the animals that went extinct because of us. North Korea blows themselves up with a nuke by accident, and the Middle East bands together against radicalism. The U.S. sees the error of its way, makes voting an inalienable right, and we're colonizing Mars out of scientific curiosity rather than desperate necessity. But, that's probably more naive than anything. 

I guess the climate apocalypse is punishment for the sin of not being more like Scandinavia.  And we need more gun control?  I didn't realize firearms caused radiative forcing.  Oh and we need less capitalism and an even more aggressive tax code because the rich paying 85% of Uncle Sam's expenses isn't enough.  Naturally its the U.S. that must see the error of its ways and not, say, countries like China which show a complete disregard for their enviroment.  

Funny how the world as we know it will supposedly end unless people choose to convert to your ideology.

• Brohoof 2

Lots of oceans and continents.  :lol:

Really, I expect there to be a mostly privatized space program in the United States and the fall of republicanism and democracy in many European nations, especially in the east. There will likely be a drastic change in manufacturing within the period and the energy industry. Africa will likely host the fastest growing economies in the world as well.

• Brohoof 2

Or alternatively:

-HUGE PIC HERE- 

The numerical models these apocalyptic prophecies are loosely based on turn out to be false and the quality of living continues to improve thanks to advancing technology, globalization and the continued expansion of the internet.  Using language translation technology built into telecommunications software, all the people of the world become connected, diminishing violence and warfare.

I'd invest in better tech. For all those numerical models, the physical evidence points the other way. Keep in mind, for the most part, models only present the theoretical, while the physical represents the actual.

I guess the climate apocalypse is punishment for the sin of not being more like Scandinavia.  And we need more gun control?  I didn't realize firearms caused radiative forcing.  Oh and we need less capitalism and an even more aggressive tax code because the rich paying 85% of Uncle Sam's expenses isn't enough.  Naturally its the U.S. that must see the error of its ways and not, say, countries like China which show a complete disregard for their enviroment.  

Funny how the world as we know it will supposedly end unless people choose to convert to your ideology.

Well, less mass shootings would be a bit idealistic, I know, but I can dream, right?

84%? :lol:  They pay less now than they did under President Eisenhower! Under Eisenhower (a conservative, mind you), they paid 90% income tax! 

And China is actually doing more to move towards green energy than we are. That's odd, ain't it? 

Also, it's not an ideology, it's science. The difference is you can prove it. 

I'm thinking not much different than it is today. People originally thought that the world was gonna be like The Jetsons with flying cars and whatnot by the time we reached the year 2000 but that sure as hell didn't happen.

• Brohoof 5

I'm thinking not much different than it is today. People originally thought that the world was gonna be like The Jetsons with flying cars and whatnot by the time we reached the year 2000 but that sure as hell didn't happen.

I still find it funny when I watch movies, and they're set 10 or 15 years in the past.  :lol:

Reality has it's problems, no one can deny that. But is it really worth it to just sit around and be miserable/pessimistic/always angry about it all? I don't see any benefit in that. You have limited time on this world regardless, so make the most of that time; accept the things which cannot be avoided, work to change what can, and remember to just take some time to yourself every once in a while, forget what's happening beyond you.

Some might call me a naive idealist, but that's just how I've chosen to live. Even if life beats me to the ground for it some day, I don't regret it. I choose to see what's beautiful in life.

That was a post I made last year in another thread where one had lost faith in 'reality'. It's the way I choose to see the future, and it's the way of life I have tried to follow for many years now. I always hold hope for the future, because that is what we as humans have above almost anything else: Hope. The future is never written in stone, it can always be changed, maybe not in giant, awe inspiring ways, but I've never been one to envision a future that is absolutely 'hopeless'.

I for one look forward to whatever the future brings, with all the new challenges and possibilities that come with it. :)

• Brohoof 2

Well, less mass shootings would be a bit idealistic, I know, but I can dream, right?

Do you know how self-righteous that sounds? In addition to simplifying a very sad issue.

Also, it's not an ideology, it's science. The difference is you can prove it.

Your post was incredibly ideologically driven though, espousing the glory of some countries and their political model while damning others.

• Brohoof 2

Do you know how self-righteous that sounds? In addition to simplifying a very sad issue.

I'm sorry, I do not mean to simplify the issue. But, the way this country is sometimes, I feel like the idea of ever actually ending the endless cycle of mass shootings is a fools dream. 

Your post was incredibly ideologically driven though, espousing the glory of some countries and their political model while damning others.

Well, I may have had aspirations of being a paleontologist at one time, but there is a reason I'm a writer and not a scientist.  ;)

I'm sorry, I do not mean to simplify the issue. But, the way this country is sometimes, I feel like the idea of ever actually ending the endless cycle of mass shootings is a fools dream. 

It's not. It will take work. Increase in education and accountability for gun owners, a re-working of the laws surrounding the purchase of certain weapons, and yes an address on gun control. There are actually less gun owners today than ever before in the country's history, yet more mass shootings than ever before. I mean clearly something must be different today or this would not be as prevalent a phenomenon.

Is easy availability the cause? Absolutely not, but it's equally dishonest to say it's not a factor. The system needs to be reviewed. That I can agree with the "increase gun control camp." However, it's more than simply removing them all together, which I'm decidedly not for. Once again, education and respect of these weapons must become a priority. I mean if your adored Northern utopias across the Atlantic have very lax gun laws but less shootings than clearly such a cultural climate is not an impossible goal.

It'll take work to be sure and as a Second Amendment boosting, non gun owner, I'll be more than happy to do my part in it.

Well, I may have had aspirations of being a paleontologist at one time, but there is a reason I'm a writer and not a scientist.

Likewise actually with the profession, of a writer. A story I'm writing the outline for right now actually concerns a doomsday scenario coming on and how humanity will rise to meet the challenge and be all the better for it.

• Brohoof 1

It's not. It will take work. Increase in education and accountability for gun owners, a re-working of the laws surrounding the purchase of certain weapons, and yes an address on gun control. There are actually less gun owners today than ever before in the country's history, yet more mass shootings than ever before. I mean clearly something must be different today or this would not be as prevalent a phenomenon.

Is easy availability the cause? Absolutely not, but it's equally dishonest to say it's not a factor. The system needs to be reviewed. That I can agree with the "increase gun control camp." However, it's more than simply removing them all together, which I'm decidedly not for. Once again, education and respect of these weapons must become a priority. I mean if your adored Northern utopias across the Atlantic have very lax gun laws but less shootings than clearly such a cultural climate is not an impossible goal.

It'll take work to be sure and as a Second Amendment boosting, non gun owner, I'll be more than happy to do my part in it.

Well, I did says "sometimes". :P My idea on fixing the mass shooting problem is actually a lot like yours. I too see a mixture in accountability and education being counted among the biggest steps to fixing the issue. Education is indeed a big factor, and would definitely help to increase it. I don't think it's mere coincidence that the least educated states also have some of the highest firearm related deaths, while countries like Switzerland, that have high gun ownership has low gun deaths while also having a good education program. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, I did says "sometimes". :P My idea on fixing the mass shooting problem is actually a lot like yours. I too see a mixture in accountability and education being counted among the biggest steps to fixing the issue. Education is indeed a big factor, and would definitely help to increase it. I don't think it's mere coincidence that the least educated states also have some of the highest firearm related deaths, while countries like Switzerland, that have high gun ownership has low gun deaths while also having a good education program. 

See? Reform is not an impossible goal, and raising education would obviously help in more areas than just reducing the likelihood of crime. A part of getting that started though is belief though, after all, if you don't believe society can change, how are you going to change it any other way besides (ironically) force?

On my side, gun owners and supporters like myself could stand to be a might less paranoid and take some responsibility. (Yes, this mass shooting is not your individual fault, but don't you think there's elements of the community that could stand to maybe be discussed about in regards to said tragedy?!)

• Brohoof 1