Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you prefer FIM's theatrical or pop music styles more?

SolyWack

Theatrical vs. Pop Genre in FIM  

22 users have voted

1. 1. Of the two, which do you prefer more?

• Theatrical, the disney feel is the best.
    • Pop, a modern touch adds all the spice.

I've been thinking about the songs in mlp lately, and even though there is a large variety in music, MOST of the songs mainly come down to two categories: Theatrical and Pop.

BTW, I define theatrical as a song you could image being sung in a play or musical, and pop as songs with effects and voice modifications.

Ex.

Theatrical: Bats, Flim Flam Songs, the Filli Vinnili song, Pinkie's Lament, etc

Pop: Smile, Let the Rainbow Remind You, Make Our Mark, True True Friend, etc.

If you like other, more sparse styles, like Applejack's country-ish songs, feel free to say so, but also add which of these 2 categories if you can.

My gosh, this is a super difficult question to answer! Choosing between theatrical or pop really depends on what mood I am in. Some of my favorites in each genre are:

Theatrical: The Magic Inside, Bats, This Day Aria, The Pony I want to Be

Pop: Smile, I'll Fly, Make a wish (it's your birthday), In Our Town, Make this Castle a Home

But, if I had to pick one Theatrical barely edges out Pop  ^_^

I prefer the theatrical sound. I'm not a big fan of overprocessed pop music. There's plenty of MLP songs I like that you gave as examples of pop, though.

I usually listen to remixes or covers, anyway.

While I think both are actually well done in the show, I think Theatrical has a slight edge thanks to the brilliant use of instruments within them. Pop just doesn't have that as much. The pop sound in this show definitely works though, Bad Seed is one of my favorite songs in the entire show and it has that sound. 

I went with theatrical but I think we have a different idea of what theatrical is.

I don't like Let the Rainbow Remind you but I love Make Our Mark and True True Friend and wouldn't consider those pop.True True Friend, especially at the end with all the Ponyville residents singing together seems VERY theatrical to me.

My favorite songs are, At the Gala, The Smile Song. A True True Friend, You'll Play Your Part, and Hearts and Strong as Horses. So whatever you'd call that mash of songs.

I do agree with I'll Fly as a pop song though (if the lyrics were different I could imagine hearing it on the radio) and I also love that one though, so really I like a bit of everything. (Except the stuff from Equestria Girls, really which are the most pop-like songs to me other than Ra-Ra's Razzle Dazzle song, neither of which I can stand...)

They both can be quite good, but if I had a preference it would be for the orchestral. Really, whether the orchestra is real or synth-based it adds a certain amount of depth and emotion that the more poppy-tunes exude; IMO.

It's close, but I'd say pop.

I like their more pop-ish songs, myself

Just wish the status quo would break again, and Ingram throw some rock and/or heavy metal songs in FiM. Spice things up a bit

I can't even picture a heavy metal song in mlp.

Well, I guess pinkie got away with rap.

Rainbow dash could go to a HM concert.

Easy peasy

Rainbow dash could go to a HM concert.

Easy peasy

I would say "But it's a kids show", but I mean, this is MLP, and there have been things that I'd say seem just as out of place.

So I guess I don't really have anything to argue against you.  :P