Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I sincerely believe that the only reason Fluttershy is getting a brother...

Cleverclover

Nah, Fluttershy is definitely worse off than Applejack. In addition to her role within the mane six, Applejack still the primary mentor figure for the CMC.

An additional problem with Fluttershy that I forgot to mention is that she doesn't particularly share a strong dynamic with any of the mane six. Rarity is easily her closest friend, but the writers definitely seem to prefer pairing her up with Applejack instead.

I mentioned that Fluttershy and Applejack were on common ground in how well-realized their characters are. The biggest difference is what you mentioned: that Applejack has a supporting cast and Fluttershy doesn't outside of Discord, a rarely recurring character, and Tree Hugger, a character the writers must have invented as a gag and probably won't be bringing back except in cameos. This is why introducing a family member or at least a new friend for her is something that should really be welcomed for Fluttershy.

I'd echo what said about Rainbow Dash, especially considering "Hurricane Fluttershy", and I'd say Rarity is good, too. However, Fluttershy does need a supporting cast outside of the Mane 6 more than anything.

• Brohoof 4

....is because the writers have absolutely no idea what to do with her anymore. :awuh:

Think about her current position in the show:

She has no goals to work towards. She's already had plenty of episodes where she overcomes her shyness, so they can't just fall back on that again. She has little room to grow development-wise. And Discord, her biggest connection outside of the mane six, is only a moderately recurring character. 

So introducing a sibling for her is probably the only way they can think of to take her character in a new direction and thus add a new connection for her. 

It's just a shame that at 120+ episodes into the show, it makes no sense for a brother to materialize out of thin air for her. But while they're at it, they might as well introduce a sibling for Rainbow Dash as well. There's simply no way I can believe that she's the single only child of the mane six. 

It's possible, as most of her episodes are about her overcoming her shyness or fears. She could have other kinds of episodes... but she pretty much have her life put together. BUT, I think introducing a brother is a good idea, as she's one of the main cast whose family is COMPLETELY unknown (We've seen a relative of Dashie in a flashback). I think there's a chance of making an older sibling bullying the older, I think that;'s a god plot, as it's truth in television, and it's rarely touched in it 

Often, she works best when another character is there to help give her leverage. Rainbow Dash and Rarity are two of the best examples. Unfortunately, like what Wind Chaser said above, she doesn't explicitly have friends outside of her usual circle minus three exceptions: Discord, TH, and Seabreeze. Season five is a transition year for her: building her out from her clock of constant peril and into a role where she can grow. Like Twilight, she, too, is a teacher now, albeit not a princess. She requires a supporting cast for her to continue growing; like AJ teaching Coloratura, her relationship with Flutterbro could help her teach lessons rather than either learn them or be them.

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems more like the fandom just wants things to complain about ;)

You're not helping your point by stereotyping the fandom. People are individual, and bronies are no exception. You can't have all praise or all complaints. We must have both to create discussion. I don't fully agree with Clever's hypothesis, but he has reason to think so, and it still brings in discussion. Critical discussions like these help this forum thrive.

Fluttershy is a moe archetype. That's all that there is to her in my opinion, and I hate moe archetypes in general.

To claim that her archetype is all there is is objectively wrong. Fluttershy is beyond just shy. She's a character with major social anxiety issues, and she has to fight externally, internally, or both to overcome several obstacles, from performing a civil duty to singing in front of a crowd to taking part of Nightmare Night. Stage fright can be crippling, and for her, it's such a case. She can talk to animals better than anyone because she understands them and, in many respects, is them.

Why is she popular? Many people really relate to her conflicts, and she's a three-dimensional character. Claiming she's only a moe archetype carries massive unfortunate implications and shortchanges both her and the rest of the Mane Eight.

She is a shy girl stereotype

There are many words to describe any of the Mane Eight.

"Stereotype" ain't one of 'em.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

You're not helping your point by stereotyping the fandom. People are individual, and bronies are no exception. You can't have all praise or all complaints. We must have both to create discussion. I don't fully agree with Clever's hypothesis, but he has reason to think so, and it still brings in discussion. Critical discussions like these help this forum thrive.

While I agree that points from both sides do help, it's one thing to have people debate their different perspectives on episodes and whatnot, but it's another thing when the majority of the fandom, or at least the loud minority, tend to have very similar opinions, and often only seem to be interested in complaining about the show. It becomes annoying for people like me who tend to think a bit more highly of the show than the average person to log on the forums, or any MLP discussion area, and only see people complaining and objectifying their thoughts.

Now, don't interpret this as an insult or flame or whatever, but based on what I've seen of you on the forums, I'd say you're among the latter group of people who objectify their thoughts.

Though I digress since I'd rather not spin this thread into a flame war. If, for whatever reason, you want to continue to discuss this, then I'd rather you private message me.

• Brohoof 2

From what I know of the plot of that episode, its definitely going to be retreading on the breezies ground of "being firm with someone while still being kind"

As for the writers not knowing what to do with her, I hope that's not the case.

I know what I'd do with her. 

-Expand on her friendship/relationship with Treehugger

-Expand her social circle to include the Equestrian society for the preservation of rare creatures 

- More trips out of ponyville for her 

- Maybe starting a poetry reading club featuring Treehugger, Maud Pie, Moondancer, Zecora and others. 

Basically get her out of that cottage and make her be more social in a believable way. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 4

I don't really understand why people are saying Fluttershy having a brother is out of nowhere. Is there any evidence that suggests she doesn't have a brother? We don't even know anything against Fluttershy's parents.

I think what you say answers itself. Fluttershy doesn't have a huge amount of room to grow when it comes tyo her own issues and whatnot, so this could be an interesting way to approach them in a different way. Who knows what her relationship with her brother is like. That could be why we never heard of him at all until now, BUT, will say that is the one part of it I find troubling is that the whole brother thing is coming out of the blue. At the very least, hinting it in an episode BEFORE that would be better than nothing. 

I am happy that we are finally getting to see some family for Flutters, I just hope it is handled in a proper way. 

Tbh you could like say this about almost all of the characters if you really chose to

Fluttershy: "I'm shy and like animals"

Pinkie Pie: "Lets eat cupcakes and throw a party and be my friend"

Rarity: "Lets make dresses and be fancy"

Applejack: "Apples"

Rainbow Dash: "I'm the fastest and coolest and I'm the best"

Twilight: "Books"

I mean you could argue about that for all of the ponies. Honestly, its probably a good thing that they're expanding on the families of each of ponies, as they haven't really done so much for Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, or Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

I think the reason they're giving her a brother is because she's the only one that doesn't have known relatives in the mane 6.

Twilight? Her family that we know

Rainbow? You could say Scootaloo

Rarity? Sweetie Belle

Pinkie? Her Rock family

Applejack? Applebloom, Big Mac, and Granny Smith

I don't see the problem.

1. For the most part Fluttershy's background, her family especially, is a blank slate. We know next to nothing about her family or her background other than "she lived in Cloudsdale and fell from it during flight camp".

and

2. The unknown or suddenly introduced sibling is not really a bad thing. Maud was that third sister who was introduced in Season 4. We were aware that Pinkie had two sisters but not three and when she was introduced the fandom loved her.

Also from the looks of the episode description they are not on the best of terms due to the fact that her brother was described as a freeloader

Whoever that is, he's going to get hsipped with Rainbow Dash. Best friends marry eachothers sibling.

Rainbow Dash? 

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash is one of the most prominent mane 6 pairings in the show, second only to Rarity/Applejack if only because for some reason their interaction in S5 practically disappeared apart from Scare Master, and I have no clue what the FUCK happened with that episode

EDIT: Fuck I forgot TftM, and they had a really good moment in it too

Rainbow Dash/Fluttershy dynamic was completely tugged under the rug after she befrineded Discord. Trade Ya and S5 episodes only make them more awkward with eachother.

....is because the writers have absolutely no idea what to do with her anymore. :awuh:

The writers have absolutely no clue what to do with ANYTHING anymore

You can defend it all you want, but they jumped the shark when they turned Twilight in to an alicorn

Yeah, him too, I forgot about him

Who could be her older sibling instead of father :huh:. Well, since making a poor job to to differentiate a young adult pony with an older one. JUST COMPARE TWI AND SHINING'S PARENTS, THEY COULD PASS AS THEIR SIBLING  :wau: . Not to mention the Sweetie and Apple Bloom, their older sisters are adults but could also be their parents :huh: 

Aw, f*ck, this is really happening?  Sh*t.  Sh*, sh*, sh*t.

I make a point of avoiding spoilers, but I saw this thread by accident and....well...too late.

F*CK, this is really happening?!!!  SH*T.  That's ridiculous.  I just can't believe this.  To pull something like this out of thin air this late in the show....ugh....in my opinion this might be the stupidest, most lore destroying decision of the show, after Princess Turbulence Cardioid, of course.  Man, this sucks.  This just sucks.  I really liked Fluttershy being an only foal.  And how the hell are they going to explain their way around her never mentioning this brother for so many years?  What the hell?  It hurt when they invented Shining Armor, but I was able to live with it.  But this is garbage.  I feel like the only way that it would make sense is if her brother was abusive and she cut him out of her life many years ago, and now he wants to make amends or something.  Ha ha.  Yeah.  So, basically, I see no plausible way of pulling this off.  This is bad.  This is really, really bad.  This is like....GAME ENDING bad.

In response to the OP, I was just recently thinking about how it feels like Fluttershy has nowhere left to go.  The others have changed and developed a lot, and for the most part all have future goals.  But Fluttershy seems to be in a bit of a rut.  But c'mon, there's gotta be a better way to get her out than this.  The show's going to lose all credibility if they just start pulling characters out of other character's asses.  Oh, you didn't know that Celestia and Luna have an alicorn brother who lives in Appaloosa?  Prince Joey.  But of course!  Oh, you didn't know that Rarity and Sweetie Belle have sixteen brothers?  Sure!  They're on the Manehattan University hoofball team.  Oh, you didn't know that Big Mac has a daughter with Cheerilee?  Yeah, she lives in the room next to Applebloom.  Forgot to mention that one, did they?

• Brohoof 1

No, well, her character has been so incredibly boring and ridiculous ever since she came on screen since season 1. She finally did make some character development, but it sure took a lot of time. Thing is, she should be over her stage fright by now, if even a little, and they just keep bringing it up as a problem of hers. She's still scared of big animals, which is ridiculous, because she did tame several big animals before and she knows how to deal with them too. She did tell her friends off at Halloween but yeah, that was a good thing. She did tell Rainbow Dash off with the situation about Tank going to hibernate, which was nice. But other than that? Please, get a grip.

I know she's relatable and that it doesn't solve a problem overnight with those hardcore issues she's suffering from but honestly, by now some of them should have improved. I'm happy she'll get a brother, it might add some more development to her as of when she had to tell her friends off for having other opinions on things. It's good for her character, yes. Let it floooow! I hope her brother is a total nutbag and she'll have to deal with him.

(edited)

Aw, f*ck, this is really happening?  Sh*t.  Sh*, sh*, sh*t.

I make a point of avoiding spoilers, but I saw this thread by accident and....well...too late.

F*CK, this is really happening?!!!  SH*T.  That's ridiculous.  I just can't believe this.  To pull something like this out of thin air this late in the show....ugh....in my opinion this might be the stupidest, most lore destroying decision of the show, after Princess Turbulence Cardioid, of course.  Man, this sucks.  This just sucks.  I really liked Fluttershy being an only foal.  And how the hell are they going to explain their way around her never mentioning this brother for so many years?  What the hell?  It hurt when they invented Shining Armor, but I was able to live with it.  But this is garbage.  I feel like the only way that it would make sense is if her brother was abusive and she cut him out of her life many years ago, and now he wants to make amends or something.  Ha ha.  Yeah.  So, basically, I see no plausible way of pulling this off.  This is bad.  This is really, really bad.  This is like....GAME ENDING bad.

In response to the OP, I was just recently thinking about how it feels like Fluttershy has nowhere left to go.  The others have changed and developed a lot, and for the most part all have future goals.  But Fluttershy seems to be in a bit of a rut.  But c'mon, there's gotta be a better way to get her out than this.  The show's going to lose all credibility if they just start pulling characters out of other character's asses.  Oh, you didn't know that Celestia and Luna have an alicorn brother who lives in Appaloosa?  Prince Joey.  But of course!  Oh, you didn't know that Rarity and Sweetie Belle have sixteen brothers?  Sure!  They're on the Manehattan University hoofball team.  Oh, you didn't know that Big Mac has a daughter with Cheerilee?  Yeah, she lives in the room next to Applebloom.  Forgot to mention that one, did they?

This isn't really an ass pull. There's a difference between pulling a surprise family member in the examples you gave and giving Fluttershy. Primarily because the characters in the examples you gave have established backgrounds while Fluttershy's background is a completely blank slate. We know next to nothing about her background while we know plenty about the others. Fluttershy is one of the most under-developed characters in the main cast, all we really know about her background is that she went to school with Rainbow Dash and fell from Cloudsdale. That's it. We've seen Rarity's family, We know that Rainbow Dash has a dad (or brother, kind of hard to tell which one Rainbow Blaze is), We've seen Twilight's family, we've seen Applejack's family and know she has a HUGE extended family and we've even seen Pinkie's family. Fluttershy? We know practically nothing about her aside from her appearances in season 1 to present and a little snippet of her past where she fell from Cloudsdale. A brother is something she might very well have.

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 2

This isn't really an ass pull. There's a difference between pulling a surprise family member in the examples you gave and giving Fluttershy. Primarily because the characters in the examples you gave have established backgrounds while Fluttershy's background is a completely blank slate. We know next to nothing about her background while we know plenty about the others. Fluttershy is one of the most under-developed characters in the main cast, all we really know about her background is that she went to school with Rainbow Dash and fell from Cloudsdale. That's it. We've seen Rarity's family, We know that Rainbow Dash has a dad (or brother, kind of hard to tell which one Rainbow Blaze is), We've seen Twilight's family, we've seen Applejack's family and know she has a HUGE extended family and we've even seen Pinkie's family. Fluttershy? We know practically nothing about her aside from her appearances in season 1 to present and a little snippet of her past where she fell from Cloudsdale. A brother is something she might very well have.

Yeah, that's all true, but I still can't reconcile how it would make any sense that she's never mentioned this brother.  And let's not forget that she and Rainbow have known each other longer than any of the others.  It seems impossible that Rainbow wouldn't know if Fluttershy has siblings.  How would they explain away Rainbow either not knowing, or never mentioning this?  I just can't get past it.

But actually, I was on my way back to this thread anyway, because after having some time to cool off, another thought occurred to me--I thought of a rather obvious way that this could be done and not have any of these negative effects.  What if it's a long lost brother (maybe a half brother) that Fluttershy is unaware of?  Yep, that'd do.  It'd be more interesting, too.  Can't believe I didn't think of that before.  If she didn't know of his existence, and he seeks her out after learning that she exists, then it would be completely fine.  A bit contrived, but tolerable.  But I just have this dreadful feeling that they're going to pull the ol' materialize-out-of-thin-air trick like Shining Armor.  I'll be very upset if that's the case.