Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does not Fluttershy get any flack for being a badly utilized character?

Slashy

Her track record is pretty similar to Spike, most of her solo outings are average to bad, but unlike Spike she rarely shines as a supporting character.

I don't see anyone demanding Fluttershy be improved or that they write her out of the show, and I feel like she is way harder to write as a focus or support character.

• Brohoof 1

If her use as of late is any indication, I feel the exact same way. Her character has been doing nothing lately. She hasn't been much of anything humorous even. She hasn't sold any moral well and as a support character, she barely exists at all. I will say that she had some shining moments in season 5 but so far season 6 has not been kind to poor Flutters. And who knows what next episode will bring. I hope it will be a time to shine. Fluttershine.

• Brohoof 4

You mean, why aren't the writers getting any flak? I mean Fluttershy is an animated character--she can't be blamed (since she isn't real) for any thing... Just clarifying here...

You mean, why aren't the writers getting any flak? I mean Fluttershy is an animated character--she can't be blamed (since she isn't real) for any thing... Just clarifying here...

• Brohoof 2

I don't know, I've seen a lot more discussion about Fluttershy being a weak, underdeveloped character on these forums compared to Spike lately.

A lot of people actually have really been enjoying Spike this season (myself included). She's definitely been getting a lot of (deserved) flak here.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's because Fluttershy is considered to be the cutest of the mane six (I personally think Pinkie Pie is). Also, when someone mocks or criticizes her in the show and in real life, many of her fans will rip him/her to pieces.

Edited by Da King
  • Brohoof 3

I've been enjoying how Fluttershy is being written, I thought she's been developed fairly well; I can't really see where you're coming from in regards to how she's being written overall.

However, while we may haven't received any Fluttershy episodes this season, that doesn't mean we won't see more of her. It just means that the writers didn't see much room for her to stand out heavily in the previous episodes.

In the end, we're still going to be getting more Fluttershy this season; I don't really see why everyone's complaining. Oh well, complaining is what the fandom does best.

• Brohoof 1

It's a kids show, what do you expect? On another note, I am honestly disappointed with most of the episodes so far this season. They just aren't as good. S4 and S5 were the prime for the show. It's just gonna get worse.

When you look back to season 5 you can see that before their hiatus she had only one episode that highlighted her. "Make New Friends, but Keep Discord". She had a few bigger parts in a few before this. Just like she has had some attention up until now for this season. 

She came back after the hiatus for season five with a fantastic episode "Scare Master" and she was also a part of many other episodes that highlighted her character. 

I believe that just like last season we will have next weeks episode, and then the hiatus will happen and we will come back and have another fantastic episode. This season has focused a lot on Twilight and Starlight. Just because Fluttershy isn't in every episode doesn't mean she deserves to be written out. 

She is being developed nicely, and she is growing in the way that her character needs to grow. Look at Saddle Row, she had quite a bit of screen time there. 

No one has said anything about the lack of Pinkie PIe, or Rainbow Dash for that matter. We have had only one episode each of them thus far too, same for Applejack. 

anyway... that's my two bits. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Because Fluttershy is inexplicably super popular because people "relate" to her, since that's apparently more important than being well written and compelling when it comes to being a popular character even if you are a character who's really basically been spinning in circles for like 4 seasons now.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

Because Fluttershy is inexplicably super popular because people "relate" to her, since that's apparently more important than being well written and compelling when it comes to being a popular character even if you are a character who's really basically been spinning in circles for like 4 seasons now.

You can really say that about all the characters then. Other than Twilight that physically changed, how, really, have the others changed in the past 4 years?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

You can really say that about all the characters then. Other than Twilight that physically changed, how, really, have the others changed in the past 4 years?

Yeah, I could go over all the ways Rainbow and Rarity have changed pretty easily, less easy for Pinkie and Applejack but they are designed to be more stable characters than the rest. Fluttershy isn't but she spins in circles anyway. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

In regards to Fluttershy not being in many episodes, she's just an introvert. Social situations are very draining and exhausting for introverts, so it makes sense that Fluttershy isn't hanging around with her friends or other ponies in most episodes. She loves her friends dearly, of course, but feels a lot more comfortable and relaxed at home with her animal friends. 

That's my headcanon, and I'm sticking to it :P

• Brohoof 1

Let's see what Flutterbrother delivers some good Fluttershy episode 

Im more excited for her Brother than for Fluttershy herself, just cause that synopsis sounds like he'll hit UNCOMFORTABLY CLOSE TO HOME for some people. 

Im more excited for her Brother than for Fluttershy herself, just cause that synopsis sounds like he'll hit UNCOMFORTABLY CLOSE TO HOME for some people. 

Yeah, I see many are uncomfortable with that. It'l like seeing yourself in a mirror for many. I admit, I'm like him, but I do it by choice, the people I live in this slum are awful. Can't wait to move away and bloom :dry: 

BTW, the extended episode from the upcoming Spice Up Your Life episode reveals that Rarity and Pinks will be sent by the map (forgot about you there buddy ), which might indicate foreshadow that Fluttershy will get an episode alongside another Mane6 this season too 

Fluttershy certainly worked well as a supporting character in this episode, but I think she is difficult to make work as a focus character though.

Fluttershy certainly worked well as a supporting character in this episode, but I think she is difficult to make work as a focus character though.

Huh? Was there a POV change in this one that I missed? I swear every scene was with Fluttershy, but not every scene with with Zeph.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Because her existence is just there to be either kind, shy or solve problems for herself. She doesn't really do anything and she doesn't really serve a proper purpose for her friends, unless some animal comes up as an issue.

All she's done so far is to befriend Discord and help animals calm down, basically.

Edited by darkwingmare