movies/tv Is anyone tired of CGI movies?

Nit Pick

I was watching the trailer to Moana. I wish for the movie's success (because Disney) but I just feel so tired of CGI movies. I mean, are they just doing CGI because it's popular? It's not because it's cost efficient right?

I feel like it's the wrong thing to say one things art while the other one isn't. And it is wrong. But what is true is beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I am a beholder of traditional hand drawn animation. The Kickstarter project Hullabaloo was an exciting thing for me to hear.

Old Disney animators coming together to bring back what made me want to be an animator when I was a kid. Now looking at Moana makes me just feel like I'm incapable of being hired as a 2d animator for movies. Yeah there is the TV route with Adventure Time and all that, but I wanted to animate for movies. Yeah there is the whole practice makes perfect thing with CGI. But I practiced drawing back when I was a kid, now I am 29 years old (as of this post) and I have little to no practice with CGI.

It just sucks feeling old when I'm not.

Not necessarily as some movies look absolutely gorgeous and make great use of CGI such as How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Zootopia.

However I do miss seeing 2D animated films in theaters.

I really hope that one day we can go back to seeing them again.

Either that or the animation style used for Paperman in an actual movie soon.

I miss Disney's 2D style. 

I don't think I'd like stitch or mulan as much as I did if it were made in CGI . 

There is a magic to it that CGI's technology just can't recapture. 

I have noticed a huge decline of 2D animated movies and that is a shame. While I loved Zootopia and its animation was fantastic, there are many movies that can't match that films charm with CGI. I hope that one day we will see a resurgence in 2D movies.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest CGI goes really good with some movies such as Zootopia, but I prefer the older 2D style its what I grew up with and I will always love Disney's older movies I feel like they are trying to hard now.

I also noticed the decline in Disney's original animating style. I really do wish that there would be more. I find it a bit sad that animated movies may not be around anymore, so that the kids nowadays can't experience what it was like to watch a 2d animated movie. And to be honest, the 3d style has gotten a bit boring to me.

I am a big fan of the classical 2D animations like Lion King. This is for me really art. I find the new CGI not so nice because the characters seems for me often to cold. But I am ok with movies from Disney, Pixar or Dreamsworks. But what I really hate is that they must make CGI remakes of all the old cartoon shows from my childhood. Not because of the remake, but the CGI looks so terrible. I mean, when I see the old Maya the Bee or the smurfs and then the new one in CGI, it hurts in my eyes how bad the CGI looks for me. 

I don't like the 3D cgi movies. It's not just the cgi, I dislike the tone and style of the stories. They all seem so cookie cutter. You know exactly what you are getting from the trailer. Mediocre plot, lame humor, and robotic animation. Yawn!

It has it's place. It can look fantastic when done right IE: Frozen or Zootopia or even old classics like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. But yes, 2D films need to make a comeback.

Now CGI used in live action movies is arguably an even bigger problem, and the decline in practical effect based movies matches that of 2D animated films. 

Both art forms (traditional and CGI) have their places. I personally prefer the traditional style. There's just something about it that speaks to the artist deep inside me. 

At the same time, I love a lot of CGI movies too. Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Zootopia and so on are among my favorite movies. With CGI being as popular as it is and cost efficient, there will be no stopping it. And this is fine since art in any form should be free to flourish. But sadly, the real art form known as cel animation has not been allowed to flourish because CG gives the studios too much of an excuse to take the easier road. 

All it takes is one good traditionally animated movie to wake the studios up, since they seem to be immune to any form of intelligence beyond the most recent box office charts. I sincerely hope to see the return of cel animated movies, with as much care and effort put into the writing as with any CG offering. That's what'll open eyes and get traditional animation back on its feet. 

I for one am looking forward to more from Hullabaloo. It looks awesome!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I like to make comments. Everyone's comments are SUUUUUUUPPAAAAA awesome.
mImJr8p.png

Lastly, here's what I see in the Moana Trailer:

2d animation on a models skin. Rather fancy yes.

Dwayne Johnson voicing Maui. Cool, cool yes.

New voice actress for the main character. Super cool. Yes.

Music that fits the atmosphere in the movie. Fine. Yes.

Maui doing the eyebrow thing like Dwayne did in his wrestling career. UUUUGGHhhh... whatever fine. Yes

Hair physics... Disney's stock relies on hair physics. Out of f***s to give.

Greenery and water particles everywhere so that blu-ray fanatics can be wowed by the high definition detail of ones and zeros. ZZZZzzzzzz...

My biggest problem with CGI animation is: they just keep making all these super hi definition things for blu ray audiences. It just feels like they lost the point of what they're doing.

It just feels like if a computer defined all the realistic stuff, then why would we need realism in an animated film for everyone (mostly kids)? They would just need to just stop with the animation and just make a live action movie. They would just add CG to it anyway.

They just need to use computers to make art for the screen. Not let the computers create the art FOR them. There is a difference between using a computer to make art, and letting the art be made for you. Basically couldn't they just create water textures? Or like how @@cmarston1, mentioned. Paper man was pretty cool, but in hindsight; doesn't it seem overtly complicated to make when they could just put hand drawn cells through post production?

I hope that made sense.

Edited by Nit Pick
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Both art forms (traditional and CGI) have their places. I personally prefer the traditional style. There's just something about it that speaks to the artist deep inside me. 

At the same time, I love a lot of CGI movies too. Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Zootopia and so on are among my favorite movies. With CGI being as popular as it is and cost efficient, there will be no stopping it. And this is fine since art in any form should be free to flourish. But sadly, the real art form known as cel animation has not been allowed to flourish because CG gives the studios too much of an excuse to take the easier road. 

All it takes is one good traditionally animated movie to wake the studios up, since they seem to be immune to any form of intelligence beyond the most recent box office charts. I sincerely hope to see the return of cel animated movies, with as much care and effort put into the writing as with any CG offering. That's what'll open eyes and get traditional animation back on its feet. 

I for one am looking forward to more from Hullabaloo. It looks awesome!

Exactly, all big corps care about is $$$ and CGI is cheap to make and roll around and sucker kids into begging thier parents to go see this movie.  Yes there are lots of good examples of CGI but also a lot of bad examples (Mars needs moms for example)

"But the charts say that kids love fart jokes.."

"but it's not clever or funny"

"ah that why we added the animal character pooping"

"What!"

"Trust the charts"

*storms out * (I refering to the fourht chip munk movie..ugh)

computer can help simulate things like water effects and hair flapping about realistcally. The Incredibles for example. Can't get that kind of effort in hand drawn as effectively.

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 1

I miss Disney's 2D style. 

I don't think I'd like stitch or mulan as much as I did if it were made in CGI . 

There is a magic to it that CGI's technology just can't recapture. 

Amen to what you said about Lilo & Stitch, especially as it is my favorite movie and would not have worked as well in CGI. The subtly just in that one scene can only be captured in 2D. Lilo & Stitch is 14 years old this year btw. 

But I practiced drawing back when I was a kid, now I am 29 years old (as of this post) and I have little to no practice with CGI.

It just sucks feeling old when I'm not.

Aw, that does suck.  I never really considered a situation like that.  Technology increases so quickly that people of our generation (I'm 30) can have skills they practiced as a kid that aren't useful anymore.  That is a shame.  I do like CG, but 2D is great, too.  I really think it should be a 50/50 balance.

• Brohoof 1

Amen to what you said about Lilo & Stitch, especially as it is my favorite movie and would not have worked as well in CGI. The subtly just in that one scene can only be captured in 2D. Lilo & Stitch is 14 years old this year btw.

Its 14 years old now? No way XD

That scene with the duckling always gets me. It's definitely one of my favourite Disney Movies as well, just second to Tarzan (you just can't beat that classic sound track).

I would have preferred if 3D CG had remained the realm of Pixar, and Disney had stuck with 2D traditional animation.

That way we could get the best of both worlds.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I feel like the decline in most peoples interest for the computer graphic medium might make the execs realize that more and more people are craving 2d animation again, I'm hopeful that we might see more in the future. 

I do enjoy the majority of CGI but i must agree it's getting old, nothing looks more appealing and breathtaking than a well crafted 2d animation. 

• Brohoof 1

I definitely feel if done right CGI is fine, but 2-D animation is just memorable and classic also in response to Lilo & Stitch, the artwork for it was done with traditional watercolors and then animated into 2-D.

• Brohoof 1

I think heavy CGI animated/cartoon movies are fine. When they use too much CGI in live action though I wonder why not just make it all animated if they're going to be like that.

That Moana looks pretty good by the way.

Edited by cider float

I think in a way cgi is limiting animated films. Sure cgi can give you more detail, more realistic physics and whatnot, but in the end its all defined by computer models, codes of movement and paths and once something is defined its limited. 2d animation doesn't have any values, the only thing that can limit traditional animation is the creativity of the human mind. 

Nah, not really. Sure, it might be overdone now, and can look bad if not done right, but it seems like most animated film companies are sticking with it for now. I think CGI animation is here to stay