Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Rarity such a flirty pony?

Buckbuck

I know she is a fashion designer and everything, but you can be that and not make those eyes all the time :P

34e.gif

I mean for goodness sake even Dash makes fun of her for that. Dash is pretty awesome though :D

• Brohoof 1

There are two reasons Rarity flirts, which are in line with the purposes behind flirting in real life.

1) She genuinely is attracted to another character.

2) As a tactical behavioral modifier to help her achieve a specific goal - whether or not there is mutual benefit.

The former has usually ended in failure. The later has more success (though not always), and is a grey area character flaw as she has shown to abuse it knowingly as well as use it for a greater purpose.

• Brohoof 6

Sometimes a little peak at the goods can close the deal as the saying goes.

(edited)

There are two reasons Rarity flirts, which are in line with the purposes behind flirting in real life.

2) As a tactical behavioral modifier to help her achieve a specific goal - whether or not there is mutual benefit.

The former has usually ended in failure. The later has more success (though not always), and is a grey area character flaw as she has shown to abuse it knowingly as well as use it for a greater purpose.

That latter 2 is pretty true. I think the best part is likely her as an detective, she sures knows how to take advantage of the situation XD. Although i personally liked the music in that episode though to be honest, i wouldnt mind another detective Rarity again to be honest

Edited by Buckbuck
  • Brohoof 2

oh so thats why every R34 fanfic i heard from a friend has rarity in

true Rarity as a character is fine but gawd does she get annoying when she whines and moans

​Rarity its a dirty minecart just pull it its only a little bit of dirt. the only one time I liked rarity was in the episode where we meet that Trenderhooves fella

Basically what Chris Jericho said. Personally I see it as adorable and understand why she uses it to gain important information like in Rarity Investigates. And who could ignore those eyes? :pout:

full.gif

a_rare_case_of_investigation_by_huussii-

the_great_detective_by_shivall-d9au8bm.p

And who could ignore those eyes?

Anyone who is taken lol.

My intake on her being flirty is...

... she's been like that ever since she started on the fashion industry, probably longer than that.  I guess that's one of the reasons why people like her so much, and hey, I'm starting to get some sort of liking to her myself, even though I'm still for Rainbow Dash.  :proud:

she's been like that ever since she started on the fashion industry, probably longer than that.  I guess that's one of the reasons why people like her so much, and hey, I'm starting to get some sort of liking to her myself, even though I'm still for Rainbow Dash.

That is interesting you said that. @Key Sharkz said something recently in a blog comment that may have some bearing here. Both Rarity and Dash have character flaws that are so intrinsically tied to their personality, that some tend to specifically center criticism on these flaws. Both Dash and Rarity fans tend to recognize this and appreciate the character for their flaws (or in spite of them). Both characters have major similarities. Both are 'dreamers' who started out the show with set goals in their lives. Both were ready to sacrifice their dreams for their friends. Both have strong personalities, wear their emotions of their sleeves, and are very opinionated. 

Part of the reason I wanted to see an episode like Rarity Investigates is specifically because of an opportunity to explore the dynamic potential between these two characters. 

• Brohoof 6

true Rarity as a character is fine but gawd does she get annoying when she whines and moans

Well that is the best part about her to be honest when she gets overdramatic like a shakespearean actress!. Although people differ so thats totally fine :D

That is interesting you said that. @Key Sharkz said something recently in a blog comment that may have some bearing here. Both Rarity and Dash have character flaws that are so intrinsically tied to their personality, that some tend to specifically center criticism on these flaws. Both Dash and Rarity fans tend to recognize this and appreciate the character for their flaws (or in spite of them). Both characters have major similarities. Both are 'dreamers' who started out the show with set goals in their lives. Both were ready to sacrifice their dreams for their friends. Both have strong personalities, wear their emotions of their sleeves, and are very opinionated. 

Part of the reason I wanted to see an episode like Rarity Investigates is specifically because of an opportunity to explore the dynamic potential between these two characters. 

This is true.  I think you hit the nail on the head here.

• Brohoof 1

oh so thats why every R34 fanfic i heard from a friend has rarity in

​Rarity its a dirty minecart just pull it its only a little bit of dirt. the only one time I liked rarity was in the episode where we meet that Trenderhooves fella

I assume you're thinking of 'A dog and pony show'? Granted she can be a bit high pitched sometimes, but be glad it's not completely over the top or she would never leave her house/shop. I mean she has a white coat, a very nice pure white coat.  Getting dirt...or almost anything out of white (depending on what it is)  is a bother. Getting it out is one thing, keeping it out is something else, but as we know cartoons are not held to being THAT realistic, so as long as the plot doesn't call for her to be all high maintenence about dirt, she's fine. 

As for the Trenderhooves incident, to me that's just Rarity losing her mind, watching her dream fade away right before her and does all matter of stupid to hold on to that dream. She got really desperate in the end, heck she even jumped in to a pile of mud, that's how desperate she was. Breaking anything and everything about her genuine personality for something(or someone) that barely noticed her.

​Wouldn't we all go a bit insane if we believed we wanted something only to be shot down and yet we'd still try and convince ourselves otherwise?

(edited)

Your post contains only 0 characters, this board has a minimum of 20 characters per post.

Edited by 0000

(edited)

In order to prepare kids for the harsh truths of reality and that sometimes in order to get what you want out of life, you need to manipulate others or something along those lines. :P

Edited by cmarston1

(edited)

If you had a box of tools and needed them to do a job, wouldn't you use them? There certainly is a blurry line over which the things Rarity does could be deemed unethical, but it's hard to tell where harmless flirting becomes emotional manipulation, and whether that's even demonstrably unethical. At what level of ambiguity does misleading someone with ambiguous implications become a sinister and immoral act? When is it just their fault for taking the interpretation of that implication too far? You really find yourself in a boiling frog situation. Honestly, it's a thing that I love about Rarity, though, that she balances on that knife's edge so gracefully. Is it wrong that she does it? I don't know. Outside of Putting Your Hoof Down (which, being a MWW episode, I feel I can safely ignore), none of Rarity's more manipulative moments seem particularly sinister, but rather pushing somepony towards something they were only unsure about prior. Honestly, the ambiguity of Rarity's morality on this point is part of why I love watching her so much. It makes her relatable, because like a real person, her flaws aren't just endearing quirks disguised as bad things, they are real flaws with the potential to cross the line and hurt someone else. Like Jeric mentioned, this is why Rarity and Rainbow Dash are so well-liked, I think, because there's such a tension in their personalities.

I've wanted to see these two in a one on one episode since Sonic Rainboom. I've always found the one on one dynamics in this show to be the most fascinating, and alongside Fluttershy and Applejack, this has long been one of the most underexplored, and one of the ones I'm most curious about.

Edited by ph00tbag

That Rarity flirtiness is just the typical woman personality for a mid-atlantic accent. Look into some 80s movies and you may see the similarities.

This is still a thing in reality today. The amount of women who self report studies as using flirting as a business or tool is telling. Either it is still a thing, or it's expected, or it's wish fulfillment.

I love her and her character but there was one thing she did that bothered me. In Rarity Investigates when the delivery pony comes he says he can't deliver right away but will the next day, so Rarity uses her feminine wiles to get him to even knowing how much he has to do. It's to his detriment.