Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Anyone else getting the Xbox One X?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Microsoft finally gave us the official details on the Scorpio, now named Xbox One X, priced at $500. It is being advertised as a 'premium console experience and the price reflects that. It is the most powerful console ever, being 40% more powerful than all other systems, from what I know. 

I am already quite hyped for it. I love Xbox and having a long term, more powerful system sounds great. Forza 7 at 4K sounds amazing. *-* 

Anyone else getting it? I fully acknowledge that this thing seems like a niche system for now, with its price and such. Let's not get into any 'pc vs. console' debates here. I also feel that it should have been bundled with an elite controller, seemed like a perfect fit so that is a gripe I have. For the first time since the Xbox One launch though, I am feeling excitement for a new system and I can't wait, already have some money down for a pre-order. :) 

• Brohoof 1

As an owner of an original Xbox One, I am tempted to buy one. The thing is I don't have a 4K TV, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of its capabilities. And yes Forza at 4K does sound amazing. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm definitely not. Microsoft gives me little reason to get one considering that a high end p.c. (or laptop which I am going to be getting) would basically do everything the Xbox One X does, but far better.

Now I say this, whilst flat out admitting that Microsoft's E3 conference was bar none, the best conference this year. It wasn't amazing, but it was solid (something I can most assuredly NOT say about Sony, Nintendo, EA, or Bethesda's respective conferences). So, take that however you will, but it just needs to be said lol.

I still have my Ps4 Pro and I fully intend to buy all of my multiplats there until I can afford my laptop. I will also be looking forward to the only 2 good games shown at Sony's conference; ergo the Shadow of the Colossus remake (hyped af), and Monster Hunter World. And, I will likely get a Nintendo Switch once Nintendo revises their hardware and puts out a "Switch Mini" or "Switch XL" or what have you. Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are more than enough reason for me to get a Switch, but I'll wait for the revision since I have learned from experience that Nintendo puts out much better constructed hardware in their later revisions of consoles/ handhelds, and by that time, there should be a far bigger library of worthwhile games available on the Switch.

So yeah, that is my opinion, I hope it does not offend you, Kyoshi -kun <3 I will admit the Xbox One X is very good for the gaming industry as its focus on beefing up hardware will force Sony to bring out the big guns with their PS5. The better hardware we get on the mainline consoles, the more developers can do with that hardware. Progress is always a good thing when it comes to technology, and since most developers prioritize getting their games to run on consoles over high end gaming PCs, this will facilitate more robust and ambitious strides within the console and p.c. gaming spaces when it comes to graphics at least. <- Of course, Nintendo will ignore all of this "graphical nonsense" while continuing to give their fans games that look as though they were released over a decade ago Q.Q

1 hour ago, joanro said:

As an owner of an original Xbox One, I am tempted to buy one. The thing is I don't have a 4K TV, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of its capabilities. And yes Forza at 4K does sound amazing. 

Like @CypherHoof said, you can always upgrade to a 4K TV later on. :) Of course if your finances permit it as it can be rough. I got lucky and got a great deal on a 4K TV last year at Best Buy. Around the holiday season, they really want to sell those, especially returns. Best tactic is to get a returned unit that was not returned due to malfunction, apparently that happens a lot. You can potentially get killer deals on those.

Hahaha. No. Thinking about the trend the Xbox has set for itself, I'd not be surprised if it looked like a toaster and ran like a low-end PC. I just can't get over the Xbox One looking a bit too much like a DVR player, and running easily worse than a PS4. I really haven't been interested in the non-Nintendo consoles since Gen 7 to be honest (even then, only the portable ones. I can't redeem the Wii U). Plus, I don't have a lot of money right now. If I get any console, It'll probably be a 2DS so I can catch up on Pokémon titles.

Xbox killed its reputation for me with its string of problematic earlier consoles. As a victim of the red ring/red dot of death, I'm definitely fine with waiting until the price falls and any hiccups are well-known and anticipated if I choose to buy. #skeptic lol.

• Brohoof 1

I might if it had more games that interested me. Crackdown 3 looks fun, and there's Sunset Overdrive coming at least, and I think a new Dead Rising? But I need more games than that, man! But it's an interesting console, for sure, just I need more incentive to buy one. 

I see you're getting some interesting games for it though, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is a ton of fun, you should look into that once it's out for The Xbone.

I'll be picking one up. I'm an oddity in that it only takes a few games for me to justify a system, and I'm too big of an old old school animation fan to ignore Cuphead. Might as well pick up the One X. 

PC master race, so prolly not. Especially when they charge monthlies n everything and since ps3 never did I am sorta biased towards PC, which doesn't charge monthlies, and steam sales, so I can get that stuff. I honestly really wanted to try Splatoon tho and Bayonetta 2, but eh. Still didn't get a console, I went 50 50 ps4 for my brother since forever ago I wanted to see how ff15 turned out, but never got ff15 so *shrugs* its a living room youtube watching console now and blue ray watcher lol. And Microsoft, no offense, but, I mean I never got a good impression. Red rings of death, bulky controllers, lost out to the PS4 for early releases, and now Sony and Microsoft are doing that milk the consumer thing. Like here is our console 2.0, now its slightly better, pay us full console price for it. I mean, I got a PC so I am pretty happy right now. I am going to need one anyways for a variety of reasons, it kinda replaces consoles and phones in a way (I am not an incredibly busy person). So the only thing I am going to really miss would be exclusives, but my tv aint up to par either. I don't think it even is 60 fps, which new games should be mandatorily by now from triple A developers where action is concerned (unless they bombed like twice in a row I guess they deserve some slack in which case they should revamp an engine or something while they are at it.).

I think if developers actually played games these problems would be non-existent. And the managers and marketers etc. To be a gamer gives you an edge for what gamers really want but they seem more interested in cash flow. I don't think I got my couple hundreds dollars worth from the ps4 goin 50/50 on it tbh.

If I am going to get anything its if the Switch gets Bayonetta 3, F-Zero, and Splatoon 2, then I would also grab Breath of the Wild, and maybe an fps game just to try out those wonky manual aim controls lol.

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

I think if developers actually played games these problems would be non-existent. And the managers and marketers etc.

I would put most of the blame on publishers -- well at least before developers. There is something to be said about the difficulty in stepping back from your work and realizing that you've been looking at a project too closely through a developer mindset, so I can't dispute that being a factor. I do think that most developers have to be gamers themselves, because compared to their non game development peers ... they are seriously underpaid. 

41 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

And Microsoft, no offense, but, I mean I never got a good impression. Red rings of death, bulky controllers, lost out to the PS4 for early releases, and now Sony and Microsoft are doing that milk the consumer thing.

I agree, but I do feel Sony deserves some shade for some of the bonehead decisions they made last gen. From giant enemy crab E3, to YLOD, to Linux fuckery, to PSN getting hacked as badly as it did. 

But, none of that matters because 

43 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

PC master race, so prolly not. Especially when they charge monthlies n everything and since ps3 never did I am sorta biased towards PC, which doesn't charge monthlies, and steam sales, so I can get that stuff.

That's where you place your value, and it is every bit of a legit reason to stick with your preferred platform since the others can't compete as easily with software and online gaming value. 

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

I would put most of the blame on publishers -- well at least before developers. There is something to be said about the difficulty in stepping back from your work and realizing that you've been looking at a project too closely through a developer mindset, so I can't dispute that being a factor. I do think that most developers have to be gamers themselves, because compared to their non game development peers ... they are seriously underpaid. 

I agree, but I do feel Sony deserves some shade for some of the bonehead decisions they made last gen. From giant enemy crab E3, to YLOD, to Linux fuckery, to PSN getting hacked as badly as it did. 

But, none of that matters because 

That's where you place your value, and it is every bit of a legit reason to stick with your preferred platform since the others can't compete as easily with software and online gaming value. 

That spicy Mario game and splatoon 2 tho, I think I am gonna Switch things up :please:

• Brohoof 2

Hell I haven't even got a Xbox one still been playing the heck outta my 360 on halo 4. But I want a Xbox one when it's cheap

Hell no. I already have a PC that will stomp all over it. As an added bonus, Bungie have confirmed that Destiny 2 will run at 30 FPS on it. A supposedly powerful system can only do 30 FPS.

Some things never change...

(edited)

It's a bit out of my price-range. As of now I'm just a uni student. I don't really get much income. :(

I'll just stick with my current Xbox One for now. But I might consider it when the price goes down. Then again, I also want to buy a PS4 soon.

Edited by Tiny Hoofs

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Vulon Bii said:

Hell no. I already have a PC that will stomp all over it. As an added bonus, Bungie have confirmed that Destiny 2 will run at 30 FPS on it. A supposedly powerful system can only do 30 FPS.

Some things never change...

I don't think that necessarily says anything about the hardware itself because it is the choice of the developers, but it makes sense. If the Xbox One X had a higher frame rate than the the regular Xbox One version it would give players an advantage in PVP. 

Edited by joanro

17 hours ago, joanro said:

I don't think that necessarily says anything about the hardware itself because it is the choice of the developers, but it makes sense. If the Xbox One X had a higher frame rate than the the regular Xbox One version it would give players an advantage in PVP. 

^YES IT DOES.

The CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. Countless tech analysts have already stated this fact ad nuaseum. The Ps4 Pro has a 2.1 Ghz CPU; the Xbox One X has a 2.3 Ghz CPU. Do the math, it is a negligible difference at best. They are both the same 8 Jaguar core setup the original Ps4 and Xbox had back in 2013 <- And even back then those CPUs were obsolete garbage.

The Xbox One X has one leg up over the Ps4 Pro in the Direct X 12 hardware implementation. This is supposed to take a load off the CPU for games that support DX 12. So, in other words, games that are pushing out the highest end graphics will run better than games with more simplistic graphics (which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard -.-).

Obviously the Xbox One X >>> the Ps4 Pro. But at least there is incentive to actually buy a Pro as it has proper exclusives, whereas with an Xbox One X, you might as well get a good gaming p.c. IF you have the money. Like I said before, I think the existence of the XBOX One X is a positive one as it will fuel strides in the game dev studios, and also force Sony to step up their game with the Ps5.

I really wish Xbox didn't throw away all their exclusives by allowing everything to be on Windows too. They really shot themselves in the foot there, especially since games downloaded from the Windows store tend to suffer from much worse optimization as opposed to games on Steam. Sometimes the difference is upwards of 10 fps :o 

Also, just wanted to say, the Xbox One X is confirmed to be ALLOWED to do higher frame rates than the base Xbox One or S: https://youtu.be/kQbMbuDH4EQ?t=3m8s

Its a waste of money if you ask me. I already own an Xbox One, and I'm satisfied with it... I'm not willing to throw out hundreds of dollars just so I could play in 4K graphics and be on a slightly stronger system.

10 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

^YES IT DOES.

The CPU is bottlenecking the GPU. Countless tech analysts have already stated this fact ad nuaseum. The Ps4 Pro has a 2.1 Ghz CPU; the Xbox One X has a 2.3 Ghz CPU. Do the math, it is a negligible difference at best. They are both the same 8 Jaguar core setup the original Ps4 and Xbox had back in 2013 <- And even back then those CPUs were obsolete garbage.

The Xbox One X has one leg up over the Ps4 Pro in the Direct X 12 hardware implementation. This is supposed to take a load off the CPU for games that support DX 12. So, in other words, games that are pushing out the highest end graphics will run better than games with more simplistic graphics (which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard -.-).

Obviously the Xbox One X >>> the Ps4 Pro. But at least there is incentive to actually buy a Pro as it has proper exclusives, whereas with an Xbox One X, you might as well get a good gaming p.c. IF you have the money. Like I said before, I think the existence of the XBOX One X is a positive one as it will fuel strides in the game dev studios, and also force Sony to step up their game with the Ps5.

I really wish Xbox didn't throw away all their exclusives by allowing everything to be on Windows too. They really shot themselves in the foot there, especially since games downloaded from the Windows store tend to suffer from much worse optimization as opposed to games on Steam. Sometimes the difference is upwards of 10 fps :o 

Also, just wanted to say, the Xbox One X is confirmed to be ALLOWED to do higher frame rates than the base Xbox One or S: https://youtu.be/kQbMbuDH4EQ?t=3m8s

I might as well sell my console then. Hell, I might as well give up on gaming altogether at this point. Can barely enjoy it anymore and everything is just shit.