Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The EQG world is so boring.

Slashy

It seems more mundane than our world. Why does the series feel the need to make one of the most interesting aspects of its world that it has elements from another world, it is pretty much an admittance that the very world this series takes place in has little to offer and is pointless to explore.

Why not throw in sci-fi? Other girls series do it ,even Monster High does it. It would provide something meaningful that Equestria doesn't.

Why does every villain need to be some girl corrupted by magic? Are mechsuits somehow too icky for girls? Is the concept of AI too difficult for kids to understand?

• Brohoof 1

I actually am okay with the human world being mundane in the series.  It makes the magical elements stand out more. Plus one of the things I like about the franchise is seeing how a world originally devoid of magic reacts to and creates its own form of magic.

• Brohoof 9

Right there with you Slashy. This is one of the reasons why I hate that EqG even exists. It is so dull, the setting is bland and pointless. We go from a fantastical magical worrld to...high school. With some magic stuff sometimes. *yaaaaaaaaaaaawn* 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, cmarston1 said:

I actually am okay with the human world being mundane in the series.  It makes the magical elements stand out more. Plus one of the things I like about the franchise is seeing how a world originally devoid of magic reacts to and creates its own form of magic.

It could have its own form of magic, called science. It would be more interesting to see a world that is exciting in its own way react to an exciting element from another world.

If the EQG world was willing to go more of the sci-fi route, then magic would have something to be contrasted too thus being more significant while keeping the universe interesting in its own right.

3 minutes ago, Slashy said:

It could have its own form of magic, called science. It would be more interesting to see a world that is exciting in its own way react to an exciting element from another world.

If the EQG world was willing to go more of the sci-fi route, then magic would have something to be contrasted too thus being more significant while keeping the universe interesting in its own right.

Sci-Twi's Magic Tracker/Capture thing was rather Sci-Fi actually, and she built that thing all on her own, as a Student still. I wouldn't mind seeing her make some more stuff like that, cool gadgets to go with the magic powers, why not?

I wouldn't mind the boring "Normal" world too much if EQG focused more on the Slice of Life stuff, which it did to an extent with parts of the three specials, but if it would be nice to see things get a bit more exciting if they want to continue the big adventure/battling evil route more often.

• Brohoof 3

I agree that the EQG world is a bit boring and mundane, but I don't think that the solution to this is to introduce sci-fi stuff. Instead, they should focus a bit more on how the human world reacts when introduced to something that completely shatters their worldview (in this case, magic).  

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Yamet said:

I agree that the EQG world is a bit boring and mundane, but I don't think that the solution to this is to introduce sci-fi stuff. Instead, they should focus a bit more on how the human world reacts when introduced to something that completely shatters their worldview (in this case, magic).  

It would be more consistent to just go the scifi route. It would fit the tone of the series more and explain why the reactions have been so toned down.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

It seems more mundane than our world

Right! The last time I came across a Pony Princess it led to an epic Vikings vs Ninjas vs Aliens vs Barbarians battle royale. The Ninjas won because the were sneaky and offered us sentient ice cream that gave armies serious magical gastritis. 

EqG world is crazy mundane. Now if you'll excuse me, I got some Rocky Road to feast on ... I call him Bob. 

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
1 minute ago, Jeric said:

Right! The last time I came across a Pony Princess it led to an epic Vikings vs Ninjas vs Aliens vs Barbarians battle royale. The Ninjas won because the were sneaky and offered us sentient ice cream that gave armies serious magical gastritis. 

EqG world is crazy mundane. Now if you'll excuse me, I got some Rocky Road to feast on ... I call him Bob. 

And the world still seems boring in comparison to the USAs ridiculous president and all the cool technology we have, like robots.

If the EQG world is less mundane than ours it is ONLY because it has magic, otherwise it is far more mundane than ours.

Edited by Slashy

Just now, Slashy said:

It would be more consistent to just go the scifi route.

No, the closest thing to sci-fi we seen so far is the device that Twilight used to find magic. But that's not even close to things like mechsuits and A.I's.  

2 minutes ago, Yamet said:

No, the closest thing to sci-fi we seen so far is the device that Twilight used to find magic. But that's not even close to things like mechsuits and A.I's.  

Twi also built a robot dog, there isn't a reason necessarily why those things couldn't exist in the EQG world.

You can blame the generally poor writing and rushed concept production for all that.

8 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Now that's the kind of post I like to see! Mmm, I can just taste the sarcasm.

Just now, Yamet said:

Was it an actual robot dog like the kind with A.I, or was it more like those generic robot dogs you can buy at most toys stores? 

It looked like the latter, but we really didn't see much of it.

2 minutes ago, Roughshod said:

You can blame the generally poor writing and rushed concept production for all that.

Now that's the kind of post I like to see! Mmm, I can just taste the sarcasm.

Yep just me being salty on word choice. To be honest, I can't fault someone who isn't drawn into EqG because they feel it is too mundane. That is sort of a taste thing, yanno. There were groans in the Star Wars fandom when it was leaked that they want to do a Teen Romantic Tragedy in that Universe. Same basic complaint. Using fantasy and sci-fi to tell allegorical stories we can appreciate and relate to is not the same as what EqG or that rumored romance will be set up to do. 

So it is a legitimate complaint.

• Brohoof 1

I did avoid Equestria Girls for a couple of years just because I take a liking to well-developed worlds. It looked like a sad, mundane clone of your typical cartoon high school... with magical villains that might as well be in Equestria instead. But I don't know, once I got around to actually watching the movies, the Equestria Girls world got more interesting. Sci-Twi brought some much needed variety with her gadgets and scientific outlook.

But mechsuits??? Ehhh... those seem a little cliche to me. I'm glad they've been avoided. If anything, perhaps tone down the magic but also up the realism. Less of the ridiculous magic and more examining the consequences of its introduction into a world populated by multicolored humans who are unfamiliar with it.

Basically, what @Yamet said.

2 hours ago, Yamet said:

Also, something kinda relevant concerning one of the Equestria Girls specials...

Spoiler

Jupiter Montage's mirror is so random. And not very believable. Sunset Shimmer's transformation in the first movie is explained. So is Sci-Twi's Midnight Sparkle alter-ego. But this little mirror is OP'd without any real reasoning behind it. Again, tone down the ridiculous magic.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

Well, the last time I came across a magical girl who got lost in another world it led to a WWI where Definitely Not Germany won over Definitely Not France, and it was all God's fault because it's a bloodthirsty idiot who only wants humanity to worship it by plunging us all into the crimson sea of hardship and strife so that we might once again rely upon its miracles to find meaning in our tormented existence. Plot twist: the magical girl was actually a guy, emphasis on was.

Anyhow, you should all watch Little Witch Academia. It's good. And no, it has nothing to do with the madness above.

• Brohoof 4

I kinda enjoy the more toned down world. Advanced weaponry and My Little Pony might not mesh so well lol

11 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Well, the last time I came across a magical girl who got lost in another world it led to a WWI where Definitely Not Germany won over Definitely Not France, and it was all God's fault because it's a bloodthirsty idiot who only wants humanity to worship it by plunging us all into the crimson sea of hardship and strife so that we might once again rely upon its miracles to find meaning in our tormented existence. Plot twist: the magical girl was actually a guy, emphasis on was.

DEUS LO VULT

• Brohoof 1

While the world maybe mundane, the characters are sure not. If anything, toning down the adventure and fantastical elements helps the eprsonalities of the humane cast stand out. Human's reacting to magic. Ponies reacting to an alien realm. Seeing the growth, stories and interpersonal relationships of Twilight, SciTwi, Sunset and everybody/pony else showed a new side of what MLP is capable of. Not just magical SOL or high fantasy, but character centric personal drama, shown center stage.  I actually like Friendship games and Legend of Everfree a bit more than Rainbow Rocks just due to the characters shining a bit more, thanks to the mundane world. 

• Brohoof 4

On 6/20/2017 at 8:35 PM, cmarston1 said:

That may be true. I have a hard time rewatching the first EG, as the magic is absent in most of the movie. sure, Twi's objective is get the element of magic from the beginning, but to do so, she had to go through all the cliche high school plot. One of the reasons I enjoy the other EGs is that magic plays a more constant and bigger role overall  

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

That may be true. I have a hard time rewatching the first EG, as the magic is absent in most of the movie. sure, Twi's objective is get the element of magic from the beginning, but to do so, she had to go through all the cliche high school plot. One of the reasons I enjoy the other EGs is that magic plays a more constant and bigger role overall  

If the EQG world was more interesting, then you wouldn't have that problem.

If EQG is going to do these high tension conflicts, I would rather they don't ALL revolve around magic. In this scenario sci-fi provides a nice contrast to magic, and gives the girls a greater purpose than stopping fantastical pollution.

If you want the series to be more realistic and tone down the magical conflicts, then sci-fi just gets in the way.

Edited by Slashy

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Yea they definitely lost a lot of potential also am i the only one that hated the villains so much that it got annoying or maybe that was me being annoyed by the repetitiveness of what the villains do such as the Rainbow rock's villains oh no we're singing, oh we're singing agian, and agian. 

Edited by Yumekai