Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Flurry Heart an unnecessary character?

Nightfall Veilwing

2 hours ago, Barique said:

I don't even think she's cute either. 

Word. I really prefer the button-eyes that the baby ponies used to have. :pout: The watery eyes just don't work as well, if you ask me.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, and so is every other single character not the Mane 6. All these unnecessary characters clogging up a perfectly good show... how dare they add characters I don't like.

*shakes fist and rambles on and on about nobody knowing what is good anymore*

• Brohoof 2

Cadence and shining were together for what? a year and a half? that's longer than it takes most people i know after they get married, so i really just adds to a bit of realism in this world of pastel ponies

• 2 years later...

Short answer: Yes

A little bit longer answer: Yeah

Longer yet: She was only thrown in to be a toy for the baby collectors. She also managed to mess up the true story of how alicorns work.

• Brohoof 2

The big problem I have is that they observed that Flurry Heart was an anomaly - the first pony ever to be born an alicorn - and then went absolutely nowhere with it. Either give us some quality worldbuilding there, or don't bother.

On 3/24/2018 at 10:30 PM, kaiser5578 said:

Cadence and shining were together for what? a year and a half? that's longer than it takes most people i know after they get married, so i really just adds to a bit of realism in this world of pastel ponies

Speaking of realism: after Flurry Heart was born, the role of Cadance and Shining Armor became almost nothing more than "Flurry Heart's parents". From what I've read on Reddit, that's happened to more than a few couples in real life (a big part of why I have zero interest in parenthood).

Yes, I do think she was kinda unnecessary. For starters, she's an alicorn for no real reason. Hasbro figured kids would buy more toys of her if she had both wings and a horn. Not only are alicorns typically the result poor writing, she doesn't even have a purpose for being one. At least Twilight and Cadence had to earn their alicornship. Flurryheart just happened to be born one, which doesn't make much sense. Along with her unneedingly being an alicorn, she doesn't really affect the show in any way other than taking the focus off of Cadence and Shinning Armor. She was just such a mishandled character, and is quite unnecessary.

Now, I do think there's a way they could've made her better. First off, make her either a unicorn or a pegasus (this is possible because Cadence was a pegasus before she became an alicorn). That way, she doesn't convolute the show with another alicorn and screw up the already confusing alicorn lore. Plus, in a sense, she would simply be more relatable if she was either a unicorn or a pegasus. Then, the show could've simply utilized her better and made her more enjoyable. Making these changes could've really made her more likable, and could've helped her character in the grand scheme of things.

• Brohoof 1

As a natural progress for Cadance and Shining Armor, she wasn’t. But I can see on your shoes if you think otherwise. They didn’t do much with her since her introduction. I would have like her to have taken over Luster Dawn’s role in the series finale

I wanted to see her have some importance in the show, but that never happened. Though they did do that scene where Twilight declares that if all else fails in their battle, Flurry is Equestria's last hope. Pretty deep if you think about it.

As her being an alicorn... genes. Cadance has those powerful genes.

Flurry was absolutely meaningless. She didn't provide anything worthwhile to the show and her being born an alicorn was so damn stupid. The only good thing to come from her was the hug reaction here. 

Her and the student six were easily the most pointless additions to the show. Even Starright found a place eventually despite debuting as Mary Sue incarnate. 

• Brohoof 3

I never really cared for Flurry Heart or found her necessary. It did humor me how she essentially acted as a lifeline for Twilight in the finale, but in no way was she essential to the show's "plot", if you could call it that. "Everything in MLP is filler", I know, but it was always too obvious that her inclusion in the show was for promoting toys. 

On 10/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Landi72 said:

Yes, I do think she was kinda unnecessary. For starters, she's an alicorn for no real reason. Hasbro figured kids would buy more toys of her if she had both wings and a horn. Not only are alicorns typically the result poor writing, she doesn't even have a purpose for being one. At least Twilight and Cadence had to earn their alicornship. Flurryheart just happened to be born one, which doesn't make much sense. Along with her unneedingly being an alicorn, she doesn't really affect the show in any way other than taking the focus off of Cadence and Shinning Armor. She was just such a mishandled character, and is quite unnecessary.

Now, I do think there's a way they could've made her better. First off, make her either a unicorn or a pegasus (this is possible because Cadence was a pegasus before she became an alicorn). That way, she doesn't convolute the show with another alicorn and screw up the already confusing alicorn lore. Plus, in a sense, she would simply be more relatable if she was either a unicorn or a pegasus. Then, the show could've simply utilized her better and made her more enjoyable. Making these changes could've really made her more likable, and could've helped her character in the grand scheme of things.

I 100% agree with this.

• Brohoof 1

Flurry Heart is the conflict of S6 premiere then after that she was just there, just exist for no particular reason other than a married couple is supposed to have a kid. S6 finale isnt even about her. Her birth did nothing to the Alicorn beside confusions. She is very cute and that's about it. :confused:

Hasbro has made so many questionable choices in the series, Flurry Heart is one of them, even in my top 5 wtf choice if i ever have one. Flurry Heart is a fine addition to Twilight's family so Twilight can be an adorkable aunt but why, why does she have to be an Alicorn?:dry:

• Brohoof 1

She isn't necessary storywise. She was introduced to make a new toys line, in the show itself she appeared just a couple of times and "saved" Equestria once because writers needed to put her in some important role. Even creators just forgot about her in last seasons

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 11:47 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

I never really cared for Flurry Heart or found her necessary. It did humor me how she essentially acted as a lifeline for Twilight in the finale, but in no way was she essential to the show's "plot", if you could call it that. "Everything in MLP is filler", I know, but it was always too obvious that her inclusion in the show was for promoting toys. 

Pretty much Flurry Heart was used as a way to sideline Shining Armor and Cadance in the finale there.
Honestly Twilight didn't realize that Flurry Heart is too young to save anyone and by the time she grows up, most likely everyone would be dead by then due to the huge mess the villain had done.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:41 AM, Califorum said:

I feel like she was but due to her we got a story about Grogar as read to her by Twilight.

Too bad we didn't get the real Grogar though but a certain chaos spirit pulling a very iffy plan instead..