Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shouldn't Bow Hot Hoof have stopped all the gay stereotyping with Rainbow Dash?

KillerKingBakudan

I get that Rainbow's sexuality is still totally up in the air. I wouldn't mind if she was lesbian myself, but I'm still seeing people assume she HAS to be for the simple fact she's got a rainbow colored mane and tail.

Well, what about her dad? Bow Hot Hoof has the same colored hair that she does, and he's not chasing after stallions behind his wife's back, is he? The fact he got married and had a daughter at all should tell you the colors mean nothing. So why is it even a discussion still?

• Brohoof 1

People overlook these little facts, that's why.

I honestly believe RD isn't gay, unless I see some in-universe proof that RD falls for other mares, then I'll continue to believe she's not interested in mares. I don't think RD is interested in dating anyone in general though :/ 

• Brohoof 2

Most of that stuff is just LGBTs fantasizing tbh, and I should know. The mane just gave them a reason to have justification for it. She's straight though, I think. If anypony's lesbian, its Fluttershy and/or Luna 

15 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Who says a rainbow mane has to mean a character--male or female--is gay? :confused:

You know, there are more genders than just male and female.

15 hours ago, Califorum said:

...I don't want sexualities or anything like that being brought into mlp. 

But its ok if theres straight people, right? Ugh

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I honestly believe RD isn't gay, unless I see some in-universe proof

Frankly, I agree with @Wylyth. That Dashie seems a bit too self-concerned with her own goals before finding somepony else. That being said...

Y'all know that it IS confirmed in the show that Dashie is straight? Or at least, enough for me to consider it that way. Rainbow Dash went on a date with Quibble Pants. 

Mind you, the show's writers would never come out and use that word on the kids' show itself, nor is Dash the one to even consider it as such, but it was. The two had mutual interests, went out to eat & spend time with each other, even argued in a rather hefty conversation. I would consider that a date, as there had to be some interest there for either to even consider it in the first place. They even had a life-risking adventure together! That's how the Main Six got together to form their supposedly tight bonds of friendship after all.

Whole episode really smacks of the writers getting fed up with us assuming things of the manliest mare out there and tried to be as blatant as they could in a Kids' Show while skirting the entire issue. In fact, I'd say of any mare, Dash feels like the one to punch you for calling her out on her sexuality. 

But I digress. That ain't the original question here.

Saying Hair Color=The choices you make is a rather baseless and ignorant thing to assume. Grasping at straws, really. Like shipping two mares because the way you thought they looked at each other that one time. What, is it to be assumed that you have to color-code some part of your body to announce to the world your sexuality? If that were the case, WHY?!  

Besides... I'm still stubborn on my headcannon that Rainbow Dash's mane is dyed. Feels like something she'd do.

• Brohoof 3

37 minutes ago, Wylyth said:

I'd rather there not be any relationships among the mane 6, really. Straight or not. But for less important characters, I say it doesn't matter. I'm actually annoyed that they choose to only heavily hint at something between Lyra and Bon Bon. But I guess that's just to mess with the fandom by not "confirming" it.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, meme said:

I'd rather there not be any relationships among the mane 6, really. Straight or not. But for less important characters, I say it doesn't matter. I'm actually annoyed that they choose to only heavily hint at something between Lyra and Bon Bon. But I guess that's just to mess with the fandom by not "confirming" it.

I would like them to have relationships when the show ends. Not all, but maybe Rarity and Twilight or something. :dash:

The fact that Rainbow went on a "date" with Quible Pants does not shut down my theory that she is Asexual. Ignoring the fact that the "date" was probably not romantic. Sexual attraction and romantic attraction are not the same thing and dont have to coincide. Dash could be Hetromantic or Biromantic while still being Asexual. 

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Wylyth said:
16 hours ago, Califorum said:

...I don't want sexualities or anything like that being brought into mlp. 

If I understood correctly what Cali was saying, they meant sexuality in broader sence than only specific genders or sexual orientations, right? Everything including relationships, dating, and whatnot. Romance or attraction in general, if you will. That there shouldn't be anything else than platonic love and friendship in the series.

I can undertand why people feel that way. If writers ship characters "wrongly" part of the fandom will always get furious. It's easier to keep everypony happy if there are no canon relationships that will shatter fans speculations and headcanons. Hasbro is also scared of input from audience and media if they would greenlight anything else than cisgender character or heteronormative relationship

But not saying anything is also political statement. And as long as there is no canon characters of any minority group, audience will keep assuming that all of the ponies are straight.

• Brohoof 1

I do think it is silly that people assume that. A lot of people think she's gay because she's a tomboy too. I wouldn't mind if she was or not. In a way though, the show is already guilty of casting the main charecters as stereotypes, giving off false and exaggerated personalities people learn and judge in real life; keeping in tradition, she would be suited.

Edited by Flutterstep

10 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Looking for politics in a kids show is a foolish and pointless endeavor.

Seuxality is not political. Gender Identity isn't political. Me existing as a pansexual femminine enby does not make me political. Im sorry, but im so tired of people acting like having more representation of LGBTQIA+ characters is "too political". 

• Brohoof 2

I would argue that every artform reflects society and it's values. It doesn't matter if show is made for kids, sadly it is still political. Everything we see or don't see is there because of someone have decided so. Kids shows today have more characters which are people of color. That's a political decision. Positive one, but still political. If there are or aren't sexual minorities in MLP or other shows, it is political decision as well.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Wylyth said:

Seuxality is not political. Gender Identity isn't political. Me existing as a pansexual femminine enby does not make me political. Im sorry, but im so tired of people acting like having more representation of LGBTQIA+ characters is "too political". 

When you try to find it in a TV show that is not focused around romance it kind of is. You're looking to confirm something in a show that literally has very little relevance to the show which would serve no purpose for the narrative at all. That's politics whether you like to admit it or not. If the "representation" does nothing to improve the narrative, or change anything, or it's just shoved in to have it there, it's political.

LGBT members make up less than 10% of the population, so being represented in 10% of shows seems appropriate wouldn't you say? They don't need "representation" in this show unless the writers have an actual plan for that representation, but asking for it simply to be there for the sake of being there is making it a political when it doesn't need to be.

Pitch me an idea of how it can be used and meshed with the narrative of the show without hijacking that narrative and I will accept that as non-political, but to want it simply to have it that's just meeting a quota whihc is political.

Currently, the show is not heavily focused on romance so revealing sexualities would be arbitrary at best which makes it there simply to meet a political quota of "representation". It does nothing to add to the entertainment value of anyone. If you are more entertained just because LGBT characters exist in a show then your standards are insanely low.

Not to mention Hasbro avoids controversy like the plague as they sidestep it every time.

3 hours ago, Wylyth said:

Because a male and a female make a baby, so when you have an episode like say... The Cake Twins' birth you sort of can't explain that they came from anywhere else besides a male and a female. It's a matter of circumstances kind of make it impossible to not portray straight romance as the norm because it's the only way you can bring in new child or baby characters without having to just adopt them from other places. How would Shining and Cadance have had a baby if they were not male and female? It's a matter of the stupid LBGT movement gets their panties in a wad over this "hetero-normative" thing but here's the thing it's going to remain rampant because most kids this will be the norm. They will mostly see men and women married, and men and women have children together. It's still the norm, and thus that will remain true in media.

There isn't really a reason to force other sexualities in there unless there is a narrative purpose and the show writers have an idea for it in mind. Otherwise it's just there to earn those LGBT brownie points. Too bad brownie points don't become sales.

My kids are not going to be getting their values or lessons on such subjects from cartoons, so naturally I am not concerned.

It's just a kid's show.

3 hours ago, Wylyth said:

I agree, it only gets political when you add in the ZCDENMBYX-<>#$!^^HJ crowd.

To OP I never thought RD was gay, I assume the default gender of all the characters in this show are straight unless implied otherwise (ex: Lyrabon)

Edited by Ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

Currently, the show is not heavily focused on romance so revealing sexualities would be arbitrary at best which makes it there simply to meet a political quota of "representation". It does nothing to add to the entertainment value of anyone. If you are more entertained just because LGBT characters exist in a show then your standards are insanely low.

That last sentence may be little too harsh, don't you think? What others find entertaining is opinion of their own. It's perfectly normal to like show more if you can relate to it's characters similar to you. When I was a child my favorite was always that shy bookworm with glasses. Just seeing that one of the protagonists was socially awkward and nerdy but was still as capable to save the day as any other, made me feel better about myself.

While it may not be statistically accurate, I think that shows and cartoons should have more characters to which children from different ethnic groups or sexual minoritys could relate. If introducing a LGBTQIA+ character would give self-esteem boost to even 5% of the children watching this show, I'd happily sacrifice few of my headcanons.

That being said, I really don't see any of the mane six as a sexual beings and don't care what their orientation is. If it's written well and makes sense in story standpoints, ponies can love whomever they like.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Divine plywood said:

That being said, I really don't see any of the mane six as a sexual beings and don't care what their orientation is. If it's written well and makes sense in story standpoints, ponies can love whomever they like.

Exactly. I think if it doesn't matter for the purpose of storytelling, there isn't really a point of including it. Sexuality and romantic relationships aren't what My Little Pony is all about. Whereas Steven Universe can handle it because of the more mature tone to begin with. Not that kids can't watch SU, because they certainly can (and IMO they should :P), but I think exploring those kinds of themes is arguably a central point for the series... whereas MLP is more focused on friendship and harmony in general.

• Brohoof 2