Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Games That You Played Long After Release Day

Floofie

What's an example (or examples) of a game that you played months or years after it's release? Maybe you missed out on it when it came out and found out about it later, or you were aware of it but waited for a sale/reviews/whatever reason to pick it up?

In my case, it was a game that I missed out on when it first released: Mighty Gunvolt Burst. I've only played the demo for it, but I'm already in love. It's an example of classic Mega Man gameplay done right, but at the same time reinventing the weapon system in a really cool way. I'll buy it sooner or later to help scratch my Mega Man itch until 11 comes out.

What about you?

Almost every game I've ever played. In fact, likely the only games I ever had that were bought close to release day were most of my DS games. I bought Diamond and Mario Kart DS pretty much the month of release.

I got Borderlands 1 after 2 had already come out, and I began playing 2 when Pre-Sequel had been out for a year already. I got Fallout 3 after the release of New Vegas, and I got New Vegas a year or so before the release of Fallout 4. I got TF2 in late 2012 a whole 5 years after it came out...

Edited by Duzzkey
I was mistaken in my beliefs.
  • Brohoof 2

Most of the games I've ever played I got long after their release. The most recent one - Witcher 3. In fact, I started playing it just a few months ago and I'm planning to finish it this weekend. 

My Nintendo DS broke in 2009, so I didn't get to play any of the DS games I wanted to play that came out in between then and the 3DS's release (aside from Golden Sun Dark Dawn, which miraculously worked on my DS, since it functioned through the bottom screen). I got a 3DS a couple of months after release, and finally got to play Pokemon HeartGold then, and then I played Pokemon Black a year later when I got my first job.

Edited by Envy

i constantly buy and play games long after release, especially if they are on sale. I bought Persona 5 which came out almost a year ago, as it was very cheap to get and i love it.

I don't really need first day releases, except for games i am really hyped for.

• Brohoof 1

I rarely buy games on release... so I'd say almost all in my collection fit the subject title. A good example for me, is getting Overwatch months after it came out... and boy I've enjoyed the hell out of it since.

Edited by Vocal Analyst
  • Brohoof 1

I couldn't play a bunch of classic 80s and 90s games until a few years ago when I discovered the world of emulators.

I got Ace Combat 4, 5, Zero, and 6 several years after they were originally released. And I ended up getting Sonic 06 in 2012, when it was already 6 years old. I did end up regretting the purchase, so I traded in the game as soon as I had beaten it.

Do remakes count? I have also bought the remakes and ports of games like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy IV, Mother, Halo: Combat Evolved, Ace Combat 2, and a few others without having played the original versions because I was either too young at the time, not born yet, or I just didn't have the original console.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 1

I didn't experience Skyrim until a few years later from its release. Kinda weird since I loved Oblivion so much. Skyrim fantastic though, I learned that pretty quickly. XD

I also didn't experience Chrono Cross until...a decade later at least? Quite the good game, I love its battle system.

Dark Souls is another game that took me many years to finally experience. Its reputation kept me away but I am happy that I got past that. Its reputation for difficulty, while at least somewhat true, is also overblown and potentially puts off too many people.

• Brohoof 2

Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U and Fire Emblem Warriors for the Switch come to mind for this kind of thing. After all, it's their respective modes outside of the main stories that form the true meat of the entire package.

• Brohoof 1

Fallout 4 I recently bought, and Dark Souls I only started getting into around 2016 thanks to my addiction to Bloodborne. Breath of the Wild I only really just got into as well, but I love it so far. South Park The Fractured But Whole I started, but haven't touched since I bought it.

Edited by ultrairongorilla

Quite a few actually, some great examples would be Civ Rev, Minecraft, and GTA V. In my group of friends we all agreed that these games are essential, and we should never uninstall any of these. 

Old games I keep around are some of the Elder Scrolls, and Fallout game series, because of their infinite replayability. Any game that had some significance to my childhood is also a good contender. Such as WoW, Paper Mario 1, and 2, Legends of Zelda games, collectathon genre, etc.

As for games I never got around to playing, LA Noire would be a great example. I bought the remastered version when it went on sale, and I thought to myself "why didn't I buy this ages ago?"

I guess the most notable one for me would be star trek armada 2. It was a really fun RTS I got into 5 years late thanks to a school friend. I loved playing as the borg because you could build these massive cubes and utterly destroy armies with a single one.

I also got into the Phoenix Wright series a bit late, only starting once Trials and Tribulations was released and Apollo Justice was a few months from release.

• Brohoof 2

Despite being born in 2001, I grew up with a lot of SNES, PS1, Genesis and N64 games well into the 7th and 8th gen through a couple systems at my grandfather's house, emulators, virtual console, ports on the GBA and DS and eventually picking up systems at retro game shops around me. To this day I still buy a lot of retro and 7th gen games through retro game shops and on Steam (bought Final Fantasy VII during the Steam Summer Sale a couple years ago), so pretty much most of the games I've played were played way long after the were released.

• Brohoof 3

:wacko: So many replies!

On 2/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, Prospekt said:

I couldn't play a bunch of classic 80s and 90s games until a few years ago when I discovered the world of emulators.

I got Ace Combat 4, 5, Zero, and 6 several years after they were originally released. And I ended up getting Sonic 06 in 2012, when it was already 6 years old. I did end up regretting the purchase, so I traded in the game as soon as I had beaten it.

Do remakes count? I have also bought the remakes and ports of games like Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Final Fantasy IV, Mother, Halo: Combat Evolved, Ace Combat 2, and a few others without having played the original versions because I was either too young at the time, not born yet, or I just didn't have the original console.

I completely forgot about emulators! I've played so many games decades after their release...

I'd say remakes and ports count, since they're just games that were already released moved onto new platforms. What about reboots, though? Do those count?

On 2/10/2018 at 2:43 PM, Snow Frostflame said:

As for games I never got around to playing, LA Noire would be a great example. I bought the remastered version when it went on sale, and I thought to myself "why didn't I buy this ages ago?"

I had that same thought while playing Mighty Gunvolt Burst! I'm a big Mega Man fan, so it's crazy to me that I didn't play it earlier.

21 hours ago, Guac said:

i hopped on the overwatch train a year late because i saw mei and thought she was fine af 

075.jpg

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Bas said:

You call yourself late when you are playing games 5-10 years after release?

For me, it was prob Fire Emblem 6-8 (still missing out other games of the series, it just rocks) [FE 7 around 2010), Final Fantasy X+ (...and still didn't play XIII+) (prob around 2011), Max Payne 1+2 (got 3, never played - 2009?), The Witcher 1 + 2 (~2013), Gothic 1 (2008?) and Gothic 3 (2013).

And there are still some games I need to play but own already, such as Risen 2 + 3, Skyrim, Max Payne 3...and a whole steamlib of 720 games.

The oldest game however, was System shock 2 in 2017 (from 1999). Now THIS was quite a missing off (time and quality wise).

Now beat that.

Pac-Man was released in 1980. I first played it in 2006.

2017 - 1999 = 18 years late

2006 - 1980 = 26 years late

B)

Pokemon games: Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, FireRed, LeafGreen, Platinum, HeartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2

Sonic games: Colors (DS version - still haven't played it, but own it), Lost World (DS and PC - still haven't played either, but own them both), Forces (bought it when it was on sale on Steam, still haven't played it)

Others: Minecraft, Morrowind, Oblivion (we had it but I wasn't allowed to play it for a few years because I was too young), Civilization IV

There are way too many other games I've gotten months or years after they've been released for me to keep track of.

• Brohoof 1