Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Why All the Fortnite Hate?

Photon Jet

Hiya everypony!

Last night when I was playing Splatoon 2, I noticed there were messages of players despising the game, Fortnite. Now to be fair, I haven't played Fortnite yet so I can't review what I think of it. Still, it is a bad idea to hate one game because it may have comparisons with Splatoon 2 or any other games. I just don't understand why the mentioned game is getting all the hate and even, hate players for just playing the game. Mostly, players hate one game even though they didn't get a chance to play it.

So, can anypony here explain to me why Fortnite is beginning to be one of the most disliked games out there?

• Brohoof 3

I've never played it either, but, I feel like most of the hate probably just comes from the fact that it is a trendy thing right now. I'll admit that I'm pretty tired of hearing about Fortnite at school, on the internet, in public and anywhere else it might be. Although, I'd probably give it a try just to see what its all about.

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, Nightfall Gloam said:

I've never played it either, but, I feel like most of the hate probably just comes from the fact that it is a trendy thing right now. I'll admit that I'm pretty tired of hearing about Fortnite at school, on the internet, in public and anywhere else it might be. Although, I'd probably give it a try just to see what its all about.

That can be a good idea. You know what they say, if you can't beat them, join them.

• Brohoof 2

1st: It mainly comes from PUBG players, as the game is an obvious ripoff of this (even if PUBG players are oblivious to the fact that PUBG is ripoff of ArmA II etc...)

2nd: Might be because of the graphics, which are candy-like. Not everyone enjoy that and it's a strong love or hate relationship.

3rd: Because in the end, it's building simulator. It's much less about how well you shoot, but rather how quickly you think on placing tons of walls and ramps to get a position to easily take your enemy down.

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Khajiit said:

1st: It mainly comes from PUBG players, as the game is an obvious ripoff of this (even if PUBG players are oblivious to the fact that PUBG is ripoff of ArmA II etc...)

2nd: Might be because of the graphics, which are candy-like. Not everyone enjoy that and it's a strong love or hate relationship.

3rd: Because in the end, it's building simulator. It's much less about how well you shoot, but rather how quickly you think on placing tons of walls and ramps to get a position to easily take your enemy down.

I see. That is some interesting information. So Fortnite is pretty much like the game PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. I looked at their page and they're making The Walking Dead version of this too.

• Brohoof 1

It's the new trendy thing.  And like most trendy things, there is a crowd that wants to bash on it.  We've entered a new trend of Battle Royale type games and as per usual, the community get's split.  The previous trend was Mobas, before that it was MMORPGs, and so on.  There are probably a few more trends in there, but those are the big ones I know off the top of my head.

This is coming from a pony that prefers Pubg, so take my opinion as you will.  I personally have issue with that 90% of all the fights I got into devolved into a jumping match with shotguns.  Whoever got the luckiest with bullet spread RNG wins.  Build up to each other, pull out a shotgun, spam the space bar and go to town.  Another issue I have with Fortnite is that it seems every week a new item is added into the game and it feels more and more bloated.

A similar issue with Pubg should be said, as the end game comes down sniper wars until the circle closes enough that those scopes need to come off.

So really it comes down to pick your poison.  Do you like closer range combat, take a look at Fortnite.  Build a masterpiece of steps until you can finally reach your opponent and then shotgun them.  Or if you prefer long range combat, take a look at Pubg. 

• Brohoof 1

Probably because pubg players are mad that fortnite is a better version of it, runs better, even on consoles, looks better, the devs are actually trying to improve the game, while the pubg team bluehole still needs to work on the game a lot. Seriously, I have a GTX 1070 and an i7 4790k yet I still get frame drops. The game is an unoptimized mess. The Chinese hacker issue still hasn't been resolved. Not to mention bluehole thinks they own the rights to the guns, med packs etc and the battle Royale and are trying to sue Epic even though pubg is a rip-off of h1z1's battle Royale. 

• Brohoof 2

I played like 10 matches with my roommates. I'll still watch them play but I'm not really a fan of it. As far as if I want to play a shooter, I'll play Battlefield, Call of Duty, or War Thunder. If I want to build stuff, I'll play Minecraft. That simple. But mostly I play racing games or GTA.

• Brohoof 1

It's coming from the exact same place as the MLP hate back in the day; overexposure. Give Fortnite some time, and people will forget about it, and the hate will die down drastically. :)

• Brohoof 2

Remember when the brony fandom was new and a lot of people started bashing us? This is the case with Fortnite. The bashing won't exactly stop, but it will decrease as time goes on.

Just now, Recherche said:

It's coming from the exact same place as the MLP hate back in the day; overexposure. Give Fortnite some time, and people will forget about it, and the hate will die down drastically. :)

You ninja'd me :(

• Brohoof 2

Personally I don't mind it. Though I'm only playing to muck around with some of my mates^_^ it's just that some people take things way to seriously and that's where we run into troubles, if you like the game... awesome and if you don't that's ok... just don't make everyone miserable over your opinion 

• Brohoof 1

I am basically tired of the battle royale nonsense already. Fortnite is seen everywhere now and that is largely because it is free to play and is in an overrated genre, in my opinion. Now every game is starting to show signs of jumping into the battle royale bandwagon and the over saturation is already happening. For a genre that really isn't that good on the first place. 

I'm just way too much into Overwatch at this point to enjoy something else. I tried playing Fortnite, but all I did was wander around, trying to find somebody to kill, with nobody around for the few minutes I was on. I ended up running into the storm because I got tired of it.

Overwatch seems more fun to me, and I'm happy with it.

It’s a new and hip thing that is free, which may attract lots of players under the age of fourteen. Pleople don’t really like you players because they act very immaturely at times, so that is probably why.

Anything that gets that popular is gonna have a lot of haters. Do I like it? No. Have I played it? Yes. Is it annoying that it's all anyone talks about now? Hell yes! So many people just ask me how many Fortnite wins I have and when I say I don't play it they look at me like I just randomly yelled, "I enjoy brightly colored ponies!" Which is true but you get the point. :okiedokieloki:

Edited by Sliding Bolt

8 hours ago, Mohawk Blaze said:

I'm just way too much into Overwatch at this point to enjoy something else. I tried playing Fortnite, but all I did was wander around, trying to find somebody to kill, with nobody around for the few minutes I was on. I ended up running into the storm because I got tired of it.

Overwatch seems more fun to me, and I'm happy with it.

I never have actually played a battle royale game but I have watched a few streamers play PUBG and it looked very, very boring. Not to mention it looked very, very CPU intensive also and my dad's computer can't really handle that well...

I've never actually played Overwatch, but I'm quite happy just playing Paladins (even with the amount of bad teammates). From what I've seen of Overwatch, I'd rather just stick with Paladins instead of paying 40 dollars for a worse game :P.

Edited by A Wild Barik Main

7 minutes ago, Moondancer is best said:

I think people hate it because it popular

I never even heard of Forenite 'till today. Still, there's a reason the trope, "It's Popular, now It Sucks" exists.

• Brohoof 1

Part of it has to do with the sorts of players this game seems to be attracting, which it's not alone in. Our own fandom has had it's own issues with members who force pony related content into other's faces. That wasn't very common but we know very well by this point that a handful of very loud people can make an impact. With fortnite it seems to be a case of some of its fans taking the game way too seriously, by freaking out when they're not doing well or someone screws up their gameplay, or bragging about their victories. This sort of behavior isn't appreciated and the game and it's players as a whole are receiving back lash in part because of this.

I don't play Fortnite either, however I do know what it is. It's probably getting hate simply because pretty much any video game is gonna gather some hate, no matter how good it may be. An example could be Minecraft, it's a game that a lot of people play, it's pretty popular on YouTube and with kids, and yet it still gathers hate from people. This is because again, no matter how good or popular a game may be, it's always gonna gather hate. And it's also popular to hate on popular games too :fiery:

Edited by King of Canterlot