Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does the show have to end now?

CastletonSnob

I don't want the show to end, at least, not at season 9.

I feel like there's still a lot to do with the characters. I'd love a Starswirl and Discord episode, for example. Or maybe explore the Student Six more. There's enough material to make 1 or 2 more seasons.

• Brohoof 6

Because the show creators have other plans.

Their leaked notes detail their reasons for ending the show extensively actually.

Why not? Isn't 9 seasons not enough? My worry is that if it goes for any longer than seasonal rot with sure set in and I don't want this to become another Spongebob.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)

The show is at its 9th season, a whole separate spinoff and a comic book line. Hasbro and the show’s staff are ready to move on

This the 50th thread begging for the show to continue 

Let. It. Go.

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 5

If it were to keep on going, it would become stagnant resulting in what is seen in the likes of The Simpsons and Family Guy to name the obvious examples. While I would've preferred things to have ended after season ten, I've accepted that Hasbro wishes to move on and get things underway in preparation for generation five.

• Brohoof 2

People will get tired of it if it keeps going. Look at Pokemon... it's still going and some are getting fed up of it. 19 seasons is too much.... MLP doesn't need to be the same and have too many seasons.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dusky, the Boy Queen said:

Why shouldn't it end now? It's nine seasons in, and they already have plans for Gen 5, so I don't get the issue here. :maud:

Some people just want the show to keep going. Not understanding that they’ve got gen 5 plans and that there’s a chance that if it keeps going the show will drop in popularity because of ‘seasonal rot’ or go in long term hiatuses that could cause a drop too. The shows ending and anyone saying they want it to keep going to need to accept it already. Yes it sucks that the shows going to end but tell me would you keep watching if it kept recycling the same old plot lines or something. What if it had nearly a years or so length hiatuses. Or maybe the plots just became stock cliches that drove off new viewers because they’d think the show was all like that. It’s. Ending. 

Edited by OdellaLark
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, ggg-2 said:

Flash is dying in 2020 anyway. No Flash animation, no show.

Well, that's not entirely how that works.

• Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

I second this motion.

5 minutes ago, Mirage said:

@VG_Addict It's indeed very sad, but MLP is not going away, just this G4 project. I'm sure even the community here will be just fine for years to come. It's too big to just 'disappear'.

And it's not like the Mane Six are going anywhere. They'll still be there in G5.

• Brohoof 1

I  know, seasonal rot, bla blah, yada yada, I would love more seasons, or if it has to ends, at least a 10th season. I just like the tought it's ending in it's 10th year, after the starting date was 10.10.10, while only 9 feels like cut off, dunno.

• Brohoof 4

The question was asked, so I will give the answer.

Why does the show have to end now?

This was answered in the leaks via a powerpoint that was presented to explain why they are making a Gen 5. The main reason is that fans love the lore that G4 had. Lore has never been a big point in the series until G4, but people fell in love with the lore. The problem is... They didn't anticipate this when they made G4, so a lot of the lore is broken or inconsistent. So one of the things they want to do with G5 is create more expanded and concise lore according to the powerpoint. AKA, they wrote themselves into a hole with G4 because there is no way to fix the lore issues without retconning stuff. It's easier to start from scratch.

It's also POSSIBLE that the reason is to get away from Lauren Faust. She left the show, and they likely want to be distanced from her now. Not to mention Tara Strong has some controversy following her now after her racist encounter with an uber driver. The emails also confirm that working with Tara has been a social media nightmare because she regularly tweets things that Hasbro does not like.

So the short version: to fix the lore, and to get away from people who are putting the brand in danger.

13 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Flash is dying in 2020 anyway. No Flash animation, no show.

12 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Yeah, it's not flash animation that's going away. It's flash that's uploaded and played directly on websites.

The answer is...it doesn't "Have" to, it's just going to. The show doesn't have to do anything, Hasbro and the people working on it didn't have to end it, they just decided to do so. They could have continued it for another 5 seasons if they wanted, nobody "had" to do anything. Sucks for the people who still don't want it to end just yet, like me, but that's how it is I guess. Kinda wish they at least went for one more year, I'm a tiny bit peeved the show doesn't at least get to see it's 10th anniversary.

Yeah, I know. G5, but that's a different show, and I feel like I have basically no interest in it. Not saying it's gonna be "Bad" or they're gonna ruin it or anything, I can't judge a show that's not out, I just don't really want it, too emotionally attached to G4 to really want a reboot. Before anyone tells me to just "Give it a chance", I'd have said the same thing to someone a while ago, but honestly I was just trying to force some degree of enthusiasm, I'm kinda tired of that, I'm just being honest.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/9/2019 at 6:16 AM, Key Sharkz said:

The emails also confirm that working with Tara has been a social media nightmare because she regularly tweets things that Hasbro does not like.

Oh yeah, her “Clop to this” and post a picture of her and her fellow MANE voice cast :mlp_icwudt:. I guess they wouldn’t have minded as much if it was just her, but I don’t see the other VAs happy of being dragged into suggestive post. One or two of them complained about it most likely :dash:

Nine seasons is enough. They do indeed have a lot more they could do with the characters, but I think they have run out of time.

For every great season or episode, or for every great character moment or storyline, there come with a couple duds. And unfortunately we remember the duds more than the gems. I don’t doubt that FIM could continue on with the same level of quality (I don’t think it’s changed in tone significantly since season 2, and I don’t think the quality has declined either). But even if it continued with high quality, the duds would stand out more and more.

They realize MLP’s model of selling recolored little figures is losing steam (I think it has been since 2010). FIM proved that MLP can be a viable TV series mostly separate from toys. I think G5 will try to take advantage of this from the very start. G4 was still very much toy driven, since it began in concept in the previous decade. Now that MLPs are not as popular toys, it’s time to see if a new show could do a better job at keeping the IP alive.