Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Summer Sunset Celebration. - Sunset's Future.

Ganondorf8

This is something that I was thinking about including for this year's Summer Sunset Celebration here on the forums. As such, this is going to be treated as a sub-event within the proper event itself in addition to it being a discussion.

As you all know, Equestria Girls has concluded as a result of Sunset's Backstage Pass being the final special barring any unreleased shorts. Because of this, many feel that the series wasn't given a final conclusion like what is happening with Friendship is Magic. Thus, I propose this question as it relates to who this sub-event is dedicated towards.

What would you have liked Sunset Shimmer's future to have been?

Sure, it might not be the most straight-forward question, but it allows for many different possibilities. Feel free to come up with your own ideas and perhaps discuss them with one another.

Since this is a sub-event, this thread will only remain open for a short period of time. How long? I'd say a week.

• Brohoof 4

I would've liked to have seen what would have happened after Sunset Shimmer graduated from Canterlot High.

Kinda like, "Equestria Girls: The College Years".

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

I'm going to go with Sparklefan on this one. I would have loved to see a series on how Sunset and her friends went on after high school, and maybe Sunset meeting her human counterpart? :dash:

• Brohoof 4

I've seen people demand that Sunset go back to Equestria, but if I were Sunset, I want to make my own decisions, and not because a group of strangers demand it.

That being said, I think Sunset seems happier to stay in the Equestria Girls World and seems to make it part of her responsibilities to keep Equestrian Magic under control. 

• Brohoof 2

I've always wanted a big epic showdown with some super villain; all would culminate in sunset having to sacrifice herself into the portal to close it forever but defeat said super villan. She would be forced to remain in equestria (as long as any part of equestria remains in E.G. world the door is open to said super villain, or something like that.) 

End special.

After credits scene: visibly aged human twilight in a mad scientist lab creates a new portal "pony ups" and walks through. Screen fades into a faint glowing sun of Sunset Shimmer cutie Mark. 

• Brohoof 1

Sunset shimmer will become an Alicorn and a princess just like Twilight sparkle!!!

”but this isn’t equestria!!”

Fine. She’ll just graduated high school, go to college and go towards her career...

human world is boring.:maud:

• Brohoof 3

I have always liked the idea of Sunset meeting her human counterpart, and I think that would have been a good way to end EQG, by having Sunset meet her human counterpart, we'd have a tearful good-bye and Sunset would go back to Equestria, we'd meet her family, and then something would happen that would prove to Celestia that Sunset is ready for becoming an alicorn.  The problem is that there's a lot I want to see, but to execute it well would take a lot of work, and time that I don't think Hasbro and DHX has.  I seriously can't believe that Hasbro just cancelled EQG like that.  The three main things I would have liked to see would have been her becoming an alicorn, meeting her family and maybe any past friends or peers, and Sunset meeting her human counterpart.

• Brohoof 1

Guess I might as well respond to my own topic with my own answer. I'd have liked to have seen Sunset ascend and become an alicorn much like Twilight had done. I mean, Sunset has more than redeemed herself for what she did in the past and has gone beyond the parameters that Celestia herself had hoped to instill in her. Daydream Shimmer was probably as close as we got to Sunset having wings, but I feel she deserves to become an alicorn. Perhaps a final test to see if she was worthy could've been implemented but alas we won't be getting such a thing. Still, it's nice to dream about it.

• Brohoof 3

I always wanted to see Sunset hook up with princess Twilight.   I've wanted to see the dropped "Sunset is homesick for Equestria" subplot from Friendship Games be implemented somewhere in the franchise.  I really think it could have made for a great story line for a EQG grand finale.  Like have the girls be graduating high school and looking towards to the future, and Sunset could start getting homesick and realize she doesn't know what she wants to do now.  It's a shame that we probably aren't going to see that happen.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Guess I might as well respond to my own topic with my own answer. I'd have liked to have seen Sunset ascend and become an alicorn much like Twilight had done. I mean, Sunset has more than redeemed herself for what she did in the past and has gone beyond the parameters that Celestia herself had hoped to instill in her. Daydream Shimmer was probably as close as we got to Sunset having wings, but I feel she deserves to become an alicorn. Perhaps a final test to see if she was worthy could've been implemented but alas we won't be getting such a thing. Still, it's nice to dream about it.

A Fanfic story called Integration by DarthLink22 features the idea of Sunset becoming an Alicorn although the ending of main show Season 5 Finale and beyond plays out very differently when it comes to Starlight and the backstory of the Tree of Harmony

2 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

A Fanfic story called Integration by DarthLink22 features the idea of Sunset becoming an Alicorn although the ending of main show Season 5 Finale and beyond plays out very differently when it comes to Starlight and the backstory of the Tree of Harmony

Is that so? I ought to take a look at that to see what it's all about.

1 minute ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Is that so? I ought to take a look at that to see what it's all about.

I will say that the chapters alternate between being primarily what happens in the Pony world and what happens in the Human World. Though I recommend you read "Aftermath of the Games" by the same author to get proper setup. It was written first. And remember that everything at the end of Season 5 and beyond is very different.

OK, well based on what I know of EqG, I'm going to assume this idea doesn't wreck anything that has already been done. I was in the midst of catching up on all of this until I reached "Forgotten Friendship," which actually frightened me away from going any further.

Spoiler

They could have had that memory stone as a plot device in any of the films, but they chose the one that was hinting at it being senior year and the characters getting very close to the end of their time together. This gave me some very dark and depressing vibes about where the series was going, and them being broken up was an emotional train wreck that I didn't want to go near.

Granted, my fears about this are probably overblown, even if the story DID go down that path, but there was definitely some catastrophizing going on, which is where the plot of this story comes from. This realistically isn't just a Sunset Shimmer story of course, but she would continue playing the role that she has in the past as a guide and moral compass for the others when she needs to be. So, this is more of a concept for an EqG finale, a full-length feature film with the budget of MLP:TM rather than simply, "What I want to see happen to Sunset."

Like a lot of people, the college angle seems like a nobrainer to me. But it inevitably feels like a story that would be much more sobering than everything else in either Pony universe. Everyone knows what happens when high school ends. People who are friends get scattered like leaves in a hurricane, and slowly begin to lose touch. This would be a tragic thing in any universe including our own, but in an offshoot of FiM, this is much, MUCH worse. These characters are echoes of a friendship in a parallel world that is integral to keeping the world safe. The friendship of the Mane 6 is part of a prophecy, and a very powerful being chose them because of how strong their bond is. If even a shred of that is reflected in EqG (and there's a TON of evidence which suggests it does), this isn't going to go well for the girls, and possibly everyone else.

Graduation would easily bring with it the most painful scenes in the entire series. I might as well point out that a lot of my thoughts about this are inspired by "The Muppets Take Manhattan." In what is probably the saddest thirty minutes of film in the entire Muppet universe, the characters who have been friends throughout all of college are forced to go their separate ways to find work. They stay in touch, and at best, they're lying to themselves that this is the process of life and how things need to be. But none of them are happy; they feel utterly lost without each other. Just think about it. Fluttershy with no emotional support, in a university full of strangers. Rainbow Dash playing her heart out supported by a sports scholarship, trying to ignore a nagging feeling that she abandoned her friends. Focus on studies is mostly what is keeping them sane, as they try to let go of the world that was Canterlot High and the friendship they had. This is hitting Sunset in a different way. The rest of the girls had known each other, possibly for the majority of their lives, whether they were close friends the whole time or not. Sunset had only gotten to know them for a couple of years at the most.

What's Sunset doing? Well, in Equestria she was potentially the greatest unicorn mage at the time, destined to (probably) do what Twilight ended up doing. In the human world, she at least knows well enough that music is a very effective way to channel magic. She also found a love of music through her friendship with the girls, so she's sticking to it. Part research project, part self-improvement, perhaps a career path, and also the best way she could imagine to honor her friends. She's still in the same city, not too far from Canterlot High. She's playing in dive bars for tips and is studying at a local music school. But Sunset has already encountered a visible problem. She hasn't ponied up since everyone departed. Comparing notes via social networks and phone calls it's revealed that neither have any of the others. Theories fly around about growing up, proximity to the portal, and a bunch of other things. But moving away from the place of magic to the mundane, one might even begin to wonder if the whole thing was imagined, like a make-believe game, and none of the cool rainbow wizardry actually happened. The best thing they can think is to see what happens during the next summer, but life has already begun playing its terrible tricks. Money is tight, at least one has already been given a summer job as an intern at a local business, and there's a chance they all might not be coming home.

Alright, time to move away from the introspection and the emotional "breakup" roller-coaster. There's trouble near Canterlot High. Possibly a Grogar counterpart. It's been there since the beginning, sticking to the shadows. While other villains have foolishly tried to attack head-on, this one has been biding its time, waiting for the inevitable: Graduation. It knew time and the cruelty of life would eventually divide and conquer the girls on its own, and now its time to rise has come.

Sunset is sensing that the bond between the girls is beginning to fade, and she doesn't like it one bit. Being the outsider pony, this isolation is especially hard on her. She has more regular communication with Pony twilight now than she does the girls. She seriously begins to consider going back to Equestria, but her heart won't allow her to do it. It's not the most selfless thing she's ever done by a longshot, but she feels compelled to try and do something about this. A way to get everyone back together before it's too late. ((and this is where this idea becomes a non-starter, because I'm sure nobody's parents would appreciate something this irresponsible happening in a kid's show)). All she can think of now is the Rainbooms. What if they were good... darned good? What if they got good enough to go all the way? She proposes this over long-distance communication but none of them are convinced the idea could work. Sunset takes time off and scrounges up every last coin she has and begins traveling the country. Sometimes paying for it, sometimes getting free rides. She performs at places she visits to make some very-much-needed cash. She visits her friends away at college, trying her hardest to convince them that the Rainbooms have a real shot. Slowly she wins them over, and talks them into competing at an "American Idol" style reality show talent contest where the winner is given a multi-year contract and record deal. Deus Ex Machina, the contest is specifically for college kids, and no school wants to ever forbid their students from partaking in this.

Meanwhile back in the town of Canterlot High a battle of sorts occurs. The big baddie has made its presence known, and gets caught by the Dazzlings who attempt to fight it. They've slowly learned to use positive magic without the dark powers of their former selves, but they are no match for big bad. Defeated and drained of energy, the Dazzlings are given a choice. Either team up, "or else." It also promises to restore the amulets lost in 'Rainbow Rocks.' Once it discovers the Rainbooms are potentially going to be reunited, it decides to prevent this in the most obvious and cliche way imaginable. Time for another band to jump into the game show.

Eventually we end up at the finale of the TV show's season. Multiple songs from the Rainbooms, and an impressive newcomer, "The Apocalypse," consisting of the Dazzlings and a mysterious lead singer (this villain would absolutely have to be voiced by someone from a famous rock or metal band). A lot of corporate mudslinging, manipulative tactics worthy of a live-action drama surrounding entertainers, a "magic manifested" fight that the entire audience is convinced to be just some darned good special effects. This is followed up by an eventual battle between the six and the villains after the contest has been won. They're quickly backed up by others from Canterlot High who came to witness this event live. The Dazzlings willfully destroy their amulets in an act of defiance, betraying the villain and teaming up with the Rainbooms to stop what's left of the Apocalypse. With the insanity of what has just transpired on live television, ratings for the show went through the roof, and a prosperous future for the Rainbooms is all but guaranteed. Cue the happiest celebration imaginable, a marvelously sappy ballad about friendship lasting forever, oh and the Rainbooms may have picked up some additional members.

• Brohoof 2

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned

I would've liked to see Sunset graduate from Canterlot High School. Whether she were to remain in the Human world or Equestria, I would like her to enjoy a happy life with those she cares about.

• 3 weeks later...

It should have ended with graduation, possibly involving Sunset and her friends parting ways but making sure they would stay in touch via social media and meetups. That seems like the most logical conclusion, and if they were going to mirror the ponies, they could also flash forward to a meetup when all of the girls are in university. Whether they all remain in town is something I'm unsure of. 

I would also have liked two dangling questions to be answered: where is Sunset's human counterpart? And does Sunset ever get homesick for Equestria? The show just kinda kept ignoring those. 

Thirdly, since the staff have apparently declared her bisexual, I would have liked to see her get a girlfriend. Maybe not Princess Twilight, like I would have said a couple years ago, but perhaps someone actually in the human world with her. 

I also like to think that in university Sunset would become a popular video game streamer on the side. That would be funny. 

I wrote my own EqG finale story that, among other things, focuses on Sunset struggling to figure out her future and which world she should stay in for good.

Long story short:

Spoiler

Sunset would end up uniting the two worlds for good (meaning Equestria would know about the human world and vice versa), and - after much debating - decides to stay in the human world, and from then on becomes ready to pass on her knowledge of Equestria to her home dimension.

• 5 months later...