Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Who doesn't like Star Trek like I do?

PCutter

Because for one, I just don't. Don't make me explain why.

Second, since it has SO much runtime

• ~513 hours (Star Trek television) + ~25 hours (Star Trek films)
  • ~84 hours (Star Wars films) + Star Wars canon series + expanded universe films and TV productions.

I am not planning to spend the next 5 decades watching every single piece of material.

• Brohoof 2

Star Wars is bad enough for me. I still need to watch The Last Jedi, Solo, and Disney's Rebel series, plus I'd like to go back and watch the Clone Wars series again. I've never quite gotten into Star Trek to the same degree, it's not that I dislike it or anything but it doesn't captivate my interest in quite the same way. That being said, I do want to go through the Next Generation, and Deep Space 9.

I like Star Trek, well at least the older series. I have watched TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. My favorite out of those is DS9. I also have watched all the original movies. When I was in school and in University I had a lot of free time :twismile:.

I am not a big fan of Discovery though.

As for Star Wars, well, I like the original movies (I have the original edition on Laserdisc), the prequels are kinda OK, the new ones are also kinda-OK, but I am not a big fan of them.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

This is actually a valid thing to bring up. With so many different versions of Star Trek and interpretations, it seems like it is impossible now to keep up with it, unless you watch absolutely everything which would take forever. This is actually why I haven't bothered with the franchise. It is the same thing that plagues something like One Piece, where there's just so much of it that it feels like you'll never catch up. Same with comic books. I can't ever get any motivation to want to read any comics because there's just so damn many and there's so many storylines, alternate universes, interpretations, everything. Like a race to a finish line that's a few galaxies away. Kinda brings it back full circle to Star Trek. :P

Not that having a ton of content is a totally bad thing. For those that get completely into these things, that means they have mountains of content to explore, but for someone like me it all is too much.

I love Star Trek. You don't have to watch every minute of it to enjoy it but if you don't like it that's fine.

9 hours ago, SharpWit said:

I still need to watch The Last Jedi, Solo, and Disney's Rebel series

No you don't. :yuck:

• Brohoof 1

I like Star Trek, and Star Trek The Next Generation. The Next Generation episode "The Inner Light", is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes of ANY TV show ever written. It's such a sad and beautiful story.

At the risk of making people mad at me, I never cared much for Star Wars.

• Brohoof 1

As much as i've tried, I've never been able to really get into Star Trek literally at all. You'd think I would, as much as I love other sci-fi related shows and such (i.e. Star Wars, Doctor Who). But... try as much as I did, I just never could get into it.

I like the original Star Trek from the '60s but the newer TV shows and the movies don't cut it for me. The original show had a good crew with chemistry and some pretty decent writing, but the new ones...well, they don't. 

Star Wars is my thing, and I love it beyond all measure (except for the recent screw-ups). I can watch SW movies and TV forever. 

• Brohoof 2

12 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I love Star Trek. You don't have to watch every minute of it to enjoy it but if you don't like it that's fine.

No you don't. :yuck:

Not for enjoyment reasons but I want to know my visual median canon.

Outside of Star Trek: Discovery, I've watch every episode of Star Trek from the original series to Enterprise at least once. At most two-two three times on regular television. And at least once on Netflix. As far as films, I've seen every film at least once on television (some at most two-three times or more) and at least once on Blue-Ray or Vudu (Kelvin universe, aka reboot movies). So, yeah. Considering I'm only 27 and I basically grew up with an uncle who watched Star Trek since it first came out when he was a kid and had only one series he and my other uncle agreed on (Voyager) I can say that I have am full blown nerd when it comes to Star Trek. I won't remember every minute detail, but I always remember a good amount to have some good debates with my uncle on what happened in what episode. The reboot movies were mildly entertaining for what they were, but underwhelming in the grand scheme of things.

Can’t really say. I watched some of the original series and liked that, but I haven’t seen anything else.

Tribbles are like the best thing since sliced bread though. I want like 30 of them.

• Brohoof 1

I have watched all TNG, DS9 and Voyager and some of TOS and Enterprise.  I haven't watched any of Discovery because I refuse to pay for CBS All Access.  TNG is easily the best series and contain some absolutely brilliant episodes, while DS9 and TOS would be second and third.  For anyone who hasn't watched Star Trek, only DS9 and the third season of Enterprise are serialized, everything else is stand-alone, so you don't need any previously background to enjoy an episode of TNG.  In fact, I would recommended skipping the first season of TNG entirely, that season isn't actually that good and you can easily get burned out on it before reaching the good stuff.

As far as Star Trek movies go, I have seen all of them except Beyond.  Sadly, most Star Trek movies are notoriously bad, although there are a couple of really good ones.  Everybody should watch The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country, those two movies are absolutely masterpieces.  The other two good ones are The Voyage Home and First Contact.  The remaining TOS movies are various unique versions of bad, and for some reason Paramount seemed to have zero confidence in TNG despite its amazing run when bringing TNG to theaters, so every single TNG movie was made into a bizarre action movie where Captain Picard runs around punching people.  J.J. Abrams apparently thought that was a good idea, so he remade the TOS universe into a series of movies where Kirk and Spock run around punching people.  Overall there just seems to be a lot of mindlessly punching people in the newer incarnations of Star Trek.

As for Star Wars, just stick to the original trilogy.  It's better that way.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

The Next Generation episode "The Inner Light", is, in my opinion, one of the best episodes of ANY TV show ever written. It's such a sad and beautiful story.

TNG also includes such gems a Darmok, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds, Tapestry and All Good Things.   This series just had some absolutely phenomenal episodes.  It is such a shame that Paramount decided the best way to capstone all of this was to have Picard run Shinzon through with a spear.  Talk about missing the point of the series!

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 1

Next Generation and DS9 are the ones I could stand. Probably because of the interesting characters Data and Garak (good actors, big range of acting). I did try Voyager for a few episodes, but there were nothing to keep me interested.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer Star Wars a bit more, especially since most of the old Expanded Universe being made its own Alternative Universe, I don't have watch as much stuff to catch up.

And yes, I enjoyed the Last Jedi. Don't force me to hate it.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely loved most of the Star Trek series (I have not seen Discovery and will not see it on CBS All Access)... Except DS9... Deep Space Nine is the atrocity that happens when Star Trek decides to copy an idea (Babylon 5), make it Star Trek, and then turn it into a soap opera. That's Deep Space Nine in a nutshell. Total and utter garbage IMO. Even the "best" episodes are mostly intolerable for me because it feels like I'm watching the Star Trek rendition of the Young and the Restless. Aside from that most of them are good. I say most because Voyager... is meh. Janeway is downright insufferable (she's written to be stupid, hypocritical, and a complete @$$) and here's too many stereotypes in the crew (Chakotay...). The series sometimes has some winners though. Also avoid the last season of TOS and the last two seasons of Enterprise like the plague, because they're straight up awful... Don't even get me started on their trash tier "finales" :dry:. TNG's finale is one of the best episodes of all the series, but these are so bad I'd rather watch Deep Space Nine... :eww:

As for the movies, I think there's a case to be made for most of them actually. The general rule is that the even numbered ones are the best (of the older movies, don't apply that to Abrams' movies for your own sake because Into Darkness is hot trash after the first act), and DON'T watch Nemesis. But there's only four of them that are really good to be honest, those being: Wrath of Khan (One of my favorite movies of all time), Undiscovered Country (A great resolution for the Original Series crew), First Contact, and Star Trek (2009)The Voyage Home would be bad if it took itself seriously (luckily it doesn't, because it makes it a decent movie), The Search for Spock I think is the exception to "the odd numbered ones suck" rule, and I'd also say Beyond is alright. As for the absolute worst, The Final Frontier 100%. Even NEMESIS isn't that bad.

Star Wars is VERY MUCH so inferior, though. Hasn't anyone heard of "Show don't tell?" Surely George Lucas had at least not thought of it when he made these films! The films spoon feed you the narrative "Jedi good, Sith bad." Compare this to Star Trek, where they don't do this at all. Even if they sometimes do go a bit too far to say that the crews of their respective ships are good, when they aren't always. Frankly I think that the third prequel film is better than most of the others because it at the very least makes some attempt to portray things from the Sith's perspective, instead of just trying to make them out to be evil, when the Jedi do evil stuff too you know... Not to say the films are bad, the original trilogy is fairly good for the most part (I think it's overrated because of the fandom and the nostalgia goggles people wear, but the films still hold up well) and III was, but the less we talk about the others the better because they're mediocre at best, and utterly atrocious at the worst.

Edited by Spider Demon

I want to like Star Trek since the lore is interesting and has some heft to it, something sorely lacking in modern media. But I just can't get into it. Never did it for me. Not a Star Wars fangirl either. Seen the original trilogy, which are the only good movies, and played some games but that's it.

I have Dune for my sci-fi. Nothing has captured me the way that does.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:30 AM, Spooky Brony 42 said:

How can we answer the question of not liking it like you don't if you won't say why you don't like it?

I said I just don't. I'm just not interested.