Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your reactions/thoughts on COVID-19

FirePuppy

1 hour ago, Jesse Terrence said:

564977540_IMG_16032020_110353_(1080_x_600_pxel).thumb.jpg.11f4a093a1ef3d186dfb879c4fb31fd2.jpg

I know this might turn into a debate (there is already one in the debate forum). But for General Discussion, I think it is important to see a virus threat the same way. If the general public is aware there is a threat, they should stay away from it. If we ask the general public to stay away from the flu, they will probably be like "why? I haven't cared about the flu before". However, if we ask the general public to stay away from "COVID-19", it is something new and scary, and it should lead to more people staying away from it, more tp rolls sold to prove it, and by doing that, they are effectively ALSO staying away from the flu! It is the same task: Avoid getting a decease.

• Brohoof 1

21 minutes ago, Splashee said:

more tp rolls sold to prove it,

A bit too off-topic, but thanks to splasher's comment I finally understand why cornholio refered to toilet paper as tp xD

Sorry sorry sorry, I know I just look like a total dumbass and most likely people will think I'm as dumb as a flat earter (and my comment on this topic might even lose all credibility despite my academic record), but it never came into my mind because in my native language we refer to it as what would be translated into higienic paper or sometimes as paper rolls. Sorry.

• Brohoof 1

I had a wife die because she caught a cold and an infection after transplant. Those with medical conditions and the elderly are the population that are at risk. 

Unless you are > 60 live your life. Period. The current death rate is quite low for for < 40. Sucks to get it, but you’ll live. 

Also I do hope the serum method works, because then there will be at least some protection coming earlier than the fall. 

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Borderlands 3 came to Steam. It's 50% off. I can now laugh at both the Epic Games users and the entertainment industry in general.

Just cover your mouth when you laugh! ;)

• Brohoof 2

I’m more concerned about not just the treatment of COVID-19, but the origin story of COVID-19 from which further questioning will inevitably lead to conspiracies.

If there was a Meat Market at Wuhan and there also happens to be a Bio Lab specializing in handling/researching/making diseases or viruses as well, Then who’s to say how the virus spread exactly? Did it really came from some Wuhan Chad eating Bat Soup to please his mates? Or did it came from the Bio Lab at Wuhan which would lead to the conclusion that the virus is intended as a Bio Weapon?

One thing is for certain. The Chinese Government would violate all kinds of inalienable Human Rights against Humanity as a whole covering up the whole mess at Wuhan by either pinning it on the Uighur Muslims locked in concentration camps, silencing critics of China, and doing their best to “control” the internet’s information about the virus through dubious means e.g. banning, hacking, sub bots etc.

It’s OK everyone. Winnie the Xi only means well.

• Brohoof 3

On 3/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, Jesse Terrence said:

Unfortunately, given this illness is new, governments are taking it as a doomsday mechanism rather than what it is -yet another aggressive flu-.

There are some very big differnces:
1. Covid-19 is more lethal than the flu, especially for older people.
2. There is vaccine against flu.
3. Someone who gets the flu, gets sick quickly and does not go on vacation, to a bar etc to spread the disease. Or, you know, you see someoen with a runny nose, you stay away from him. Someone with Covid-19 can spread the disease for 2 weeks to a month and not even know it. 
Let's say I go to a bar and have a drink. The bartender could be sick, but neither he, nor I would know it. I then could get infected, not know it and infect others.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

There are some very big differnces:
1. Covid-19 is more lethal than the flu, especially for older people.
2. There is vaccine against flu.
3. Someone who gets the flu, gets sick quickly and does not go on vacation, to a bar etc to spread the disease. Or, you know, you see someoen with a runny nose, you stay away from him. Someone with Covid-19 can spread the disease for 2 weeks to a month and not even know it. 
Let's say I go to a bar and have a drink. The bartender could be sick, but neither he, nor I would know it. I then could get infected, not know it and infect others.

See the alarmism there?

The flu is in everyone always. Viruses don't die, they simply stay in standby once anyone has had it. They copy themselves within cells. Once you had a virus, it stays within you forever. The flu vaccine is merely a controlled reactivation for the organism to higher the levels of the specialized antibodies.

Those who had coronavirus and survived won't have to panic by the next outbreak. Those of us who haven't got it yet don't have to worry too much because the vaccine is already in an experimental phase. It will be ready by the next outbreak.

Finally, it seems coronavirus is far more lethal due ratios since it isn't as virulent as the flu. Coronavirus has been hitting less people, but inmunologically vulnerable subjects. They are prone to die way easier. The flu is so virulent it strikes pretty much all the population, thus dead ratios stay lower because just an slight part of the population is compromised and likely to die from it.

• Brohoof 3

I think people if they just use common sense and cleaning would just be ok.  I do worry a little given my mom lives with me and she is over 65,  but a very hardy woman.     I personally feel there is bit to much of hype in how ppl as adults are acting when it comes to taking to much T.P and anything paper like.  Yet also we are seeing the best in ppl who are giving away free meals and etc to those who need it. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:09 PM, ZethaPonderer said:

Or did it came from the Bio Lab at Wuhan which would lead to the conclusion that the virus is intended as a Bio Weapon?

You’re not alone on that, there’s few articles who says it could be intended as bio weapon. Except the only difference is from what I understand  it’s origin takes place in North Carolina first but moved over to China for a final development. I want to say more but I don’t want to spread potential rumors.

• Brohoof 2

It looks like there may be no new cases reported in my country for a few days. The reason being that the chemicals needed for testing are running out and there are problems with resupply.

• Brohoof 2

Our government has made a statement that we as a nation and people should be ready to say good bye to our loved ones. :worry: This message alone is bothering me a little. What happened to the value of human life? :(

• Brohoof 1

It's disconcerting to say the least. I have a feeling it won't affect me personally but I don't really like seeing all the media attention it gets.

I’m in one of the US cities that put out a mandatory stay at home order, it’s been pretty great being told by the government to do what I have always loved doing lol

i do feel like in enough time this will all blow over, and of course the media has been making things seem way worse than they are, I mean it is dangerous for the elderly and such, but to anyone else it’s just like a cold

I'm not sure what's worse, the media crying wolf or people not taking this seriously. Experts have said time and time again this is on par with the Spanish Flu in 1918, many are actually estimating more deaths from COVID-19... Though I initially didn't take it seriously myself, but I did when I saw estimates for the death counts as LOW as 600,000. Yes, that was on the low side. you have to realize what kind of death count it already has.

This was live as of making this post, but so far, it's killed 18,000 people. More people than were infected by SARS and MERS COMBINED. That's not "alarmism." These are straight-up facts as they are. It's also infected 409,000. The media crying wolf doesn't change that. You can deny them all you want too, doesn't change the facts.

And from all indications, this is just the beginning. If we want to go through pandemics of this kind historically, there will be more waves of infections lasting even early into next year. Not just me saying that either. An additional source to add as well, even if this one is a little outdated now. The lack of concern people have for what is the worst pandemic in 100 years is absolutely astonishing. I get it you're tired of hearing about it, but that doesn't make it suddenly go away.

Edited by Angel_Dust
  • Brohoof 1

So, there are almost as many cases in the US as there are in ITALY. Not really looking good in the States. Can't really say China's because I have the odd feeling there's a lot they're hiding from the rest of the world. They've probably got thousands or even tens of thousands of undocumented cases with how they are. It's kind of obvious considering all of the other infected numbers are rising rather quickly (even Italy's, but especially the US's) while China's is just tapering off.

It's proof positive that Trump's response to COVID-19 is an absolutely terrible one that's working for nobody. I would still say China did and probably is still doing a worse job, but Trump's response has been absolutely terrible. What's worse is that apparently there's some people on the right who seem to want the elderly and sickly of this country to die... For what? The market. Of course. Going to politicize the issue instead of use our brain cells.

Edited by Angel_Dust

Today was one of those spring days, when people just have to go out and get the sun. It feels so odd to have to hold your breath while walking past people, that just seem to think everything is fine now. :mlp_wat:

Was upset of what it cause, can't believe it end up in my country and went lockdown. Have mix feeling when my work went lockdown. Told it won't kill me if I got it but there someone who not old had it and almost die. Hope it just three weeks and some days, want to move on, like planning a holiday and some cons. I really dislike it cos of what problem it give, cos I order two items meant to collect at store but seem going to lose it and buy it again.

Also my dad had demenjia and don't really need this, this year been down hill.

Edited by Derpy Man

On 3/26/2020 at 6:59 PM, Bas said:

Understandable and not disagreeing about hiding stats, but keep in mind China also had the biggest lockdown likely of all.

That means very little in all reality, especially coming from China.

I've actually recently come across a video suggesting there's now also a hantavirus outbreak starting up in China too, which luckily shouldn't spread to really anywhere else because hantavirus is nowhere near as infectious or prolific as this coronavirus is. Though I'm quite positive they have quite a few undocumented cases they aren't telling the rest of the world about. Can't really trust China with much of anything.

The US government is trying to pressure countries affected by the virus to reject humanitarian aid programs from Cuba, which is nothing short of downright scummy:

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/w/us-pressures-countries-reject-cuban-aid-during-coronavirus-pandemic

Also, Sweden's surprising lack of taking any real measures to slow the spread of the virus will sadly come back to bite it in the ass in the coming days, imo.

14 hours ago, Bas said:

Trump: "Life and security have priority, then the economy."

Hmm... He's being dishonest on that, considering the US has shown no regard for life and more regard for profit due to its abysmal free market healthcare system and ridiculous cost of medicines and treatments.

15 hours ago, Bas said:

Just what I said back then: No way he can remove the shutdown right after Easter, or he would do even a worse move than killing an Iranian general (which is quite something that is hard to beat, for that matter). Told you he was making a promise he won't be able to keep.

I wouldn't be so sure, considering this is Trump and all... 

10 minutes ago, Bas said:

I want to note it is a pretty far left website/mag, however:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-morning-star/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Star_(British_newspaper)#Editorial_policy

Given my own standards, I cannot accept such a source as objective.

OK... But on factual reporting it scored as:

Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL

according to your own fact checker, so while it might be 'politically biased', it is still a valid source.

15 minutes ago, Bas said:

BBC article on the matter:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48214513

Speaking of above article, the report in it which it is sourced off states it is opposition-linked and part of an NGO from spain, and therefore is also politically biased and agenda driven; yet, you have failed to discount the validity of it. To summarise, that article is pretty much a propaganda piece, as no objective evidence was offered of anything that actually occurred in this article. So, as you stated above, "I cannot accept such a source as objective".

48 minutes ago, Bas said:

I assume he will be forced to do so based on public opinion if the virus continues to spread. Honestly...I am not sure if he cares either about the economy or the people, but only what people want to hear from him in order to get votes.

His approval rating is rising currently, so I doubt the public is happy with the quarantine measures imposed and likely wants it lifted as soon as possible, even if that means potentially reinfecting the public. Also, an election is coming up and bare in mind he does tend to take impulsive decisions...But only time will tell I suppose. 

Ok i work in retail: look i know the kids at home, if u have two parents, send one into the store to get what u need, do not bring in the COUGHING and SNIFFING child that uses their hands to wap their nose and then touch STUFF. Or sadly if we as employed person back up from said person,  we mean no respect,  please stop trying to get less then freaking six inches from us.  We are on the bloody front line (also health care workers are the REAL WARRIORS AND FIGHTERS IN THIS THING),   we have families also but if too many of us get sick,  we could loose pay,  get others sick,  might have elderly family at home (which i do) and we are trying to do what we need to take care of a family or ourselves as a whole.  Have some thought in how you shop is all I ask and know ur interactions and actions do have a wave in how if effects others working in this CO19  world.

• Brohoof 2