Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who was your first internet provider?

Reecejackox

S.N.I.P. net.

Southern New Jersey Internet Providers. I don't think they even still exist.

Ah, the days of dial-up!

LOL!

It took me DAYS to figure out how to disable the sound on my computer's internal dial-up modem. Some idiot thought it was a good idea for it to have it's own speaker inside the tower! I hated listening to that every time I wanted to go online!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I honestly don't remember what my FIRST was. Though when I moved, I remember our internet was through WildBlue. Not the best internet, but it is better than the local internet provider... The internet they offered might as well have come straight from the days of white (BF says they're beige) computers, and we changed over in 2013 or so I think.

AOL was king~

I never used the internet myself until a lil later in my life but it was definitely still AOL. I miss the rush of excitement when the dialup loading reached the third step.

...Jpegs loaded pretty slow though.

• Brohoof 1

I don't remember the first internet provider my parents used...but I remember the dial up internet. ^_^ I still share internet with my parents, because I still live with them. They use Spectrum right now.

My first ISP was a company called (still is called) TELE2. It cost a monthly fee for a dial-up, and you had to pay the phone company a minute fee for calling the number.

When I finally got broadband (ADSL), I tried to cancel my TELE2, but they didn't like that. I had to pay monthly for 2 years, the dial-up service, even when people usually by that time had stolen ISP numbers and was dialing-up for free. With ADSL, I never have to pay the minute fee, and there is no data download limit.

TELE2 is still exploiting their customers, but now with cell phones, and expensive limited internet.

I think it was CompuServe dial up, but I used several different providers in the late 90's and early 2000's. AOL and Netscape come to mind.

Nowadays, I have Viasat satellite internet. It's fast enough for my needs but I wish there were more options instead of that or crappy cellular data plans. That's one of the downsides to living in a rural area.

• Brohoof 1

I plan to bring back my dial-up experience in the future. My own analog telephone system will reserve a phone number to a server.... But I need one of those Cisco servers that were used for dial-up, to get the right sound in my modem.... Well, I need to get a dial-up modem too. :squee:

• 1 year later...

We used to use Century Link and god was it terrible! Our internet connection was getting so low that we had to switch to Spectrum so we could actually use the internet. When it started going downhill, I would just drop out of Discord calls and that kept happening until my mom switched to Spectrum. :sealed: