Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think is the darkest villain in the show?

Dragonite

33 users have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the darkest villain in the show?

• Nightmare Moon
    • Discord
    • Queen Chrysalis
    • King Sombra
    • Lord Tirek
    • Starlight Glimmer
    • Pony of Shadows
    • Tempest Shadow
    • Storm King
    • Cozy Glow

Pony of Shadow would be considered the darkest. I just find that out in the comic. Even darker than Nightmare Moon.  Sadly they wasted him.  So I have to go with King Sombra, he's literally like the Dark Lord for MLP.

• Brohoof 1

I voted Lord Tirek, although I do think Pony of Shadows, Queen Chrysalis, and King Sombra are major contenders for darkest villain. I always was particularly creeped out by Tirek's ability to just drain all magic and energy out of anyone, and how the more he hurts others the more powerful he became. A similar argument could be made for how Chrysalis and the Changelings drained energy through love, but I personally think that Tirek's ability was on another level, compounded by his completely selfish and revenge-driven motives for his actions. I do also think that he got the closest to destroying Equestria as we know it, although there could be arguments made against that for sure.

also, unrelated, just realized we don't have a Tirek emoji!!

I mean, the pony of shadow, sounds pretty dark to me. Joke apart, it's a poor guy that wanted to help, but the others misinterpreted it as an act of egoism and excluded him from the alliance of which he was the fondator. Hatred and malice consumed him and the poor fellow was sent to limbo or something. Like, the poor guy just wanted to help. This villain was a bit waisted tho, it's sad we didn't get to see him more.:sealed:

• Brohoof 2

Cozy Glow.  Most of the other villains are, for want of a better phrase, cartoonish and openly evil.  Cozy Glow is the most insidious and manipulative, the smiling-faced assassin that will embrace you only so that she can look you in the eye while she stabs you in the back.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Concerned Bystander said:

Cozy Glow.  Most of the other villains are, for want of a better phrase, cartoonish and openly evil.  Cozy Glow is the most insidious and manipulative, the smiling-faced assassin that will embrace you only so that she can look you in the eye while she stabs you in the back.

There must be some sort of backstory on how she became a two-faced delinquent somewhere. Not in the show but probably in the comics.

• Brohoof 1

I voted King Sombra but I never thought that the cartoon had a 'dark villain', and it is one of the reason I like fanfiction. MLP never had a villain that I felt was threatening because they were all too childish (...).

I mean, a villain that had a different ideology rather than that 'I'm evil!' motivation and that couldn't be convinced by the almighty friendship or stopped by the rainbow cannon.

I think that King Sombra is the one that came closest, if any at all.

I wanted to see someone that knew how to fight 'friendship', that had the means to hurt Equestria before they even knew they were under attack and that turned friends into foes by showing the imperfections and turned them into weapons. Someone that would move an entire race, or something against the ponies and the rest of the world by force of some discourse that you couldn't say that they are simply wrong, but had a reasonable claim on hating the 'establishment'. Something like Starlight Glimmer, but not that stupid 'my friend is gone!!!' bullshit motivation they gave her. Maybe some sort of griffon that could be worked up into something truly threatening by taking control of their nation and turning the populations AND IT'S REOURCES against Equestria, not another quest for the McGuffin.

But well, despite what people will tell you, MLP was too childish for that.

My favorite villain is Nightmare Moon though, because at the time she was presented, there was NOTHING that could stop her if not the Mane Six and the Elements of Harmony. But again, MLP wasn't the cartoon for a story about a vengeful goddess.

• Brohoof 1

Cozy is straight up evil and she knows it, and she knows no one will be willing to do anything to her because they literally can't harm her because she's a child, and also because of the heroes own moral code. That will only make her learn to be even more manipulative and more extreme.

and Chrissi because she has convinced herself of her own lies and twisted logic that would only result in being the end of her. Sad indeed. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Photon Jet said:

There must be some sort of backstory on how she became a two-faced delinquent somewhere. Not in the show but probably in the comics.

Cody glow is so evil despite being so young and I think that's a terrible sign of a sociopath.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Ittoni said:

Cozy is straight up evil and she knows it, and she knows no one will be willing to do anything to her because they literally can't harm her because she's a child, and also because of the heroes own moral code. That will only make her learn to be even more manipulative and more extreme.

and Chrissi because she has convinced herself of her own lies and twisted logic that would only result in being the end of her. Sad indeed. 

52 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Cody glow is so evil despite being so young and I think that's a terrible sign of a sociopath.

4 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

Can we all agree that kids are the most despicable little creature that’s ever existed? :umad:They’re called “ankle biters” for a reason!

• Brohoof 2

King Sombra because he did slavery and he had a dark back story that was not mentioned in TV show

Tirek because he wants to destroy Equestria which means kill all ponies

Cozy Glow because she's a child who is psychotic and helped all the psycho villains to take over Equestria 

• Brohoof 2

Dittoing @Concerned Bystander, @Ittoni, and @Will Guide above. Cozy Glow's villainy was very subtle throughout Season 8. You didn't know what she was doing, but she had some type of plan to achieve what she wanted, and her manipulation skills are very mature for a character of such an age. Secondly, think about what would've happened if Cozy successfully destroyed all magic in Equestria. No one would be able to rotate the planet, manipulate the weather, grow crops, and live.

Second on this list is Starlight due to her actions as Our Town's autocrat. Brainwashed everyone who was there — even when they wanted nothing to do with the town, suppressed their magical abilities, made sure nobody disagreed with her, had them walk around with the creepiest and forced smiles of all time, and convinced all the folks there that living in mediocrity was to their benefit. "The Cutie Map" was a 44-minute horror flick!

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

What does "the darkest" villain even means? How do you measure it? Is it their personality, how they come to become evil, their situation, their goals, their actions, looks?

The creepiest villain was chrysalis, but starlight had the potential to be on top.

The cruelest, maybe sombra? He did enslave the crystal ponies and messed with their minds, than he did the same to ponyvile and canterlot while also destroying the elements. He is probably the most sadistic, although chrysalis and cozy glow definitely gave him a run for his money(they are arguably crueler). Also, we know what he would with the ponies after he won, unlike the other villains(starlight's is messed up too, arguably even worse), I mean what the villain trio would have done with the citizens? 

Cozy is definitely crazy, and the fact that she is a child(or not, maybe she just looks like a kid) and she enjoys being evil makes her pretty dark. 

Chrysalis, being a parasitic bug and all that is pretty dark too. 

Tirek is the most competent villain but we can't say he is particularly dark.

Despite being disappointing the storm king, with his goals and what he and his army did was pretty dark too.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

Despite being disappointing the storm king, with his goals and what he and his army did was pretty dark too.

I'm glad someone mentioned him because,even through Storm King is made as a fool or as a Joke in the movie, he did however conquered almost every nations worldwide and only needed to take over Equestria to have full control of the world. Aside from Pony of Shadow, that's more than Triek, King Sombra, and Nightmare moon can achieved. And he even made his own currency (storm bucks) as well. I would say out of most conquers in mlp, Storm King comes out the most successful 'fascist'  leader before his lost in Equestria.

I pretty heavily relate things being "dark" with cruelty. This being a kids show, there's only so much you can show, but Queen Chrysalis' world is by far the worst. It's a world with love being farmed by weird insect ponies, who can also transform into anyone you know to manipulate you. Sombra would be worse, if you were conscious while you were being mind controlled.

Edited by Dark Bun

Nightmare Moon. Her name literally has the word "night" in it and night's are dark. Therefore, Nightmare Moon is the "darkest villain". :orly:

Queen Chrysalis was and is by far the darkest villain in the show. She had maintained a very strict code, and didn't play around with any tomfoolery. She didn't even accept the offer to reform by Starlight Glimmer at the end of Season 6. 

Edited by TransitPony

Do the comics count? I saw "darkest" and I can't stop remembering about the time 3 unicorns amputated RD's wings in her sleep so they could drink it to become alicorns. They even made sure to leave stitch-marks on her back

7 minutes ago, Megas said:

Do the comics count? I saw "darkest" and I can't stop remembering about the time 3 unicorns amputated RD's wings in her sleep so they could drink it to become alicorns. They even made sure to leave stitch-marks on her back

WTF.

Issue number, please!