Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 is going to suck.

CastletonSnob

With all the news that came out today, I feel confident in saying that G5 will be bad. Hasbro is a multi-billion dollar company. They could have easily afforded to keep the movie VAs for the specials and series.
And Hasbro didn't even choose veteran VAs for the Mane Five. Hitch's new VA has a whopping TWO credits on his IMDB page, and one of those roles was Bibleman.
I just don't think G5 is going to be good.
  • Brohoof 3

It was extremely unlikely that we would be able to keep the movie voice actors. That was well known. There are other shows suffering from the same fate.

If we look positive at this, there might actually be better voices for the ponies (let's say, more low budget ones that we will get more attached as they become the default), that we will love in the future, and looking back, it would feel odd to even think about the move voices.

• Brohoof 11

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

It was extremely unlikely that we would be able to keep the movie voice actors. That was well known. There are other shows suffering from the same fate.

If we look positive at this, there might actually be better voices for the ponies (let's say, more low budget ones that we will get more attached as they become the default), that we will love in the future, and looking back, it would feel odd to even think about the move voices.

Right. There are SO MANY cartoons based off of movies where they needed to use soundalike's such as:

The Real Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice and The Mask. That's just off the top of my head. 

• Brohoof 6

The 2D show seems to look unprofessionally bad. We already know what the 3D show will look like.
I think they should cut the 2D show right away as it will not be well received :yuck:

• Brohoof 2

Oh, I could feel my optimism sink once I saw that G5 art reveal for the 2D series...and I'm a big 2D animation fan. Granted, the writing could still be good, and the 3D animated show might still look good, but this style that they went with for the 2D short series was a wrong turn for sure. I feel that they went with the cheap look to save costs considering how much content they're making for this generation. One silly reason for pessimism though is the voice actors for the movie not returning. Like, come on, I thought we all knew that already. 

My guess is that the voice cast from 'A New Generation' were too expensive to keep on in addition to them being busy with other projects. Or, it could be something else entirely. Besides, we knew this was going to happen as it has happened with other cartoons based on movies or that eventually get a movie. It's mainly about keeping costs down.

I've already said my peace regarding the 2D animation. I'm starting to like it despite being initially freaked out.

• Brohoof 4

I think it's a bit premature to write off the next generation entirely just like that.  Sure it may suck that the voice actors are being replaced, but let's be real here, we all knew this was going to be the case.  It wasn't a secret.  Hasbro always planned to have A-List actors voice the characters in the movie and would hire cheaper sound-alikes for the series proper.  So I don't see the need to make a big deal about it now.

• Brohoof 4

14 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I think it's a bit premature to write off the next generation entirely just like that.  Sure it may suck that the voice actors are being replaced, but let's be real here, we all knew this was going to be the case.  It wasn't a secret.  Hasbro always planned to have A-List actors voice the characters in the movie and would hire cheaper sound-alikes for the series proper.  So I don't see the need to make a big deal about it now.

Why did Hasbro use big-name actors/actresses in the G5 movie if they weren't going to come back for the series? I don't understand Hasbro's strategy here.

• Brohoof 3

you have to give it a try! maybe the script is good and motivates us to watch the series (not like Pony Life which... well... is a TTGO), personally, the design won't matter much to me if the story or chapters are good :rarity:

something that I would like is to keep the 3d, maybe not like in the movie but at least a style like ladybug or Sonic Boom, although it is not the best 3D in the world at least it looks pleasing to the eye :awwthanks:

• Brohoof 2

14 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Why did Hasbro use big-name actors/actresses in the G5 movie if they weren't going to come back for the series? I don't understand Hasbro's strategy here.

I've said this same thing from the beginning.

That said, I'm sure that these "stand in's" will do a great job as long as the material they have to work with is good.

• Brohoof 3

Man this doommongering is in full force, even for me!

Hasbro releasing a movie with celebrities and replace them with regulars for a series is annoying but it's been a regular practice for them since the 80s

Hasbro has been going with non-union VAs for their shows for a while now, and if anything Transformers Cyberverse are just as capable as veterans

The G5 movie came out and it's already a hit. And the shows are showing a lot of promise

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 9

Am I the only one who doesn't hate the 2D artstyle? Sure, I imagine it's not what people were expecting, but I kinda like it.

Plus, I had a feeling they might end up having different VAs for the show compared to the movie, which Hasbro has done before if anyone remembers the G1 Transformers movie.

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Megas said:

Man this doommongering is in full force, even for me!

Hasbro releasing a movie with celebrities and replace them with regulars with a series is annoying but it's been a regular practice for them since the 80s

Hasbro has been going with non-union VAs for their shows for a while now, and if anything Transformers Cyberverse are just as capable as veterans

The G5 movie came out and it's already a hit. And the shows are showing a lot of promise

I'm not on the doommongering wagon, I hope you could tell from my criticism of the VA dooming. I already know I'm going to grow accustomed to that 2D G5 animation, having seen worse, I was just...not impressed. I do think the show could still have good writing and humor though. I also said in two other threads I was very glad to see that the 3D show is very likely going to have the same animation as the 3D movie. As for the shows showing a lot of promise, that's a statement I will hopefully agree with once actual previews come out showcasing what the shows will be like. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not going to write off G5 as a shitshow just yet since it already started and it's very unfair to write off G5 as "a bad generation" just because the 2D art style of Tell Your Tale and the G5 Movie VAs are not coming back.

Let's wait and see how Tale Your Tale and Make Your Mark turned out before we start complaining

Besides, G5 cannot be any worse than G3...

• Brohoof 1

I agree, it's frustrating that they're changing voice actors but there are 2 other things I believe G5 needs.

G5 needs stakes! In G4 the ponies were regularly overthrowing a conspiracy and saving Equestria. For G5 it would be satisfying if they continued to revisit the mystery of magic's disappearance and what it had to do with the original Mane 6.

G5 also needs personal goals. Rarity was destined to open a boutique in Canterlot, Rainbow Dash was destined to be a wonderbolt and Fluttershy was destined to grow braver. All the ponies in G5 need something to work towards.

• Brohoof 1

We are really jumping the gun here. VA changing isn't an uncommon thing and to be honest, I think it was to be expected. I know people also bring up the art style and while I don't like it, I think it's worth giving it a chance. Point is, we don't have that much right now, so it's way too early to debate on whether it will be shit or not.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 4

That's a bit premature; don't you think?

There was no chance in hell that Hasbro would keep the celebrity VAs for the upcoming shows. Why do you think Tempest and Capper were silent for their cameos in the G4 finale? The movie was solely to introduce the world and characters, and if the movie flopped, then no harm. Have a little faith in the upcoming VAs. Remember when Homer Simpson's VA was chosen to play Genie in Disney's Aladdin TV series? As a kid I never noticed the difference and even now it's a close match.

Have some faith in the staff behind the series. Say what you will about the art style for the 2D series; that's purely subjective and nothing more. I didn't care for it on first viewing, but it surprisingly is growing on me. As I have said before; what matters is execution. Look at the promo art for G4 and EqG! There was noticeable difference between the promo art and the premieres; with following episodes/movies only improving on that.

Take a chill pill and let the development staff do their thing. It could be good, it could be bad. We have no way of knowing.

• Brohoof 9

Just like before, I'm going to make up my mind when I actually watch the show. I always like to be cautiously optimistic, but I've always found "dooming" to be stupid. It seems a lot of people did not learn their lesson the first time. :mlp_nom:

• Brohoof 1