Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will you give the 2D MLP G5 series a chance?

phantompone1148

Will you give the 2D MLP G5 series a chance?  

39 users have voted

1. 1. Will you give the 2D MLP G5 series a chance?

• Of course I will.
    • Nope!
    • IDK

I think I'll give everyone some advice.

If you don't expect the 2D series to be any good, it might be better not to watch it at all. If we expect something to be bad, sometimes we make it bad through our own disappointment. I'd also encourage you by saying, you still have G4 to enjoy, and the fandom is still very passionate about it. I expect I might remain loyal to G4 as well if the first G5 movie is the best this generation can do, but I'll be okay with that.

• Brohoof 4

Pony Life...

Pony Life actually looked quite interesting and good, until the episodes aired. It had potential and still do if the designs were used correctly (like they were in the trailer).

This one the other hand, has no potential to be good. About half the internet can draw better horses than this.

• Brohoof 2

8 minutes ago, Orchid_Fiore said:

I don't know if I could handle even a single episode, but let's see how good it is.

For now, I don't have any good expectations for the future of the MLP franchise.

Edited by Orchid_Fiore
  • Brohoof 2

I'll be giving it a chance mostly out of a not judging a book by its cover sort of deal.

The artwork for me personally looks underwhelming considering the many other potential styles they could go with. But I'm going to try and look past that to see if it can at least deliever in story and entertainment. But I'm really hoping that they just go back to the drawing board and go with a more pleasing to the eyeballs art style that will do the characters justice. The movie was fantastic and I'm still hoping that the show somehow delivers.

So yeah, it has my attention. But it has kind of tripped at one of the first major hurdles for me. But the race isn't over yet.There's still plenty of elements it can catch up on for me personally.

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Stancet said:

I think I'll give everyone some advice.

If you don't expect the 2D series to be any good, it might be better not to watch it at all. If we expect something to be bad, sometimes we make it bad through our own disappointment. I'd also encourage you by saying, you still have G4 to enjoy, and the fandom is still very passionate about it. I expect I might remain loyal to G4 as well if the first G5 movie is the best this generation can do, but I'll be okay with that.

I fully expect a repeat of Pony Life. Everyone already had their minds made up from the unimpressive art style that it was a monstrosity when it was actually just okay. When it finally actually aired, the hate died down to a degree, but people were still watching the episodes expecting Friendship is Magic quality writing from episodes half the length and slinging mud at it. I know that people are going to hate whatever they want to hate, that's their right, even as I find it pointless to hate on shows like this that are not meant to be spectacular (once a show makes the fact clear to me, I move on). However, this clearly looks to me like it's intended to be inferior to the main G5 series the same way Pony Life was obviously intended to be inferior to FiM, and I think that writing off the entire generation as doomed to suck over this would be absurd. 

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I fully expect a repeat of Pony Life. Everyone already had their minds made up from the unimpressive art style that it was a monstrosity when it was actually just okay. When it finally actually aired, the hate died down to a degree, but people were still watching the episodes expecting Friendship is Magic quality writing from episodes half the length and slinging mud at it. I know that people are going to hate whatever they want to hate, that's their right, even as I find it pointless to hate on shows like this that are not meant to be spectacular (once a show makes the fact clear to me, I move on). However, this clearly looks to me like it's intended to be inferior to the main G5 series the same way Pony Life was obviously intended to be inferior to FiM, and I think that writing off the entire generation as doomed to suck over this would be absurd. 

I will admit that pony life has better art than....this... I don't think a good script can save this kind of art.... Hey it's just me, if I piss anyone of I'm sorry.

• Brohoof 1

On the off-chance it's good and for the sake of completion, I'll give it a shot! The art style looks really questionable though so my expectations are low at the moment. :nom:

• Brohoof 2

Well, I'll give it a chance, but if it seems crappy and not worth my time after the first few episodes or so, then I'll probably drop it. This just looks like Pony Life all over again, just with the G5 characters this time and an even worse animation style (in my opinion). That alone isn't a good implication since I still haven't even watched a single episode from PLs second season, and I don't really plan on doing so.

The fact that episodes are only five minutes long is a major blow, since that likely means that episodes will be crazy, fast paced episodes lacking any sort of actual plot or character development. I'd much rather it be 35 ten minute episodes than 70 five minute episodes, because at least ten minutes is something you can work with.

Let's say the writing isn't as bad as I'm expecting it to be, or even better; I'd likely watch the show as the episodes come out, but still wouldn't praise it very highly due to its animation. Even is something has a good story, bad animation could make it hard to get through.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-02-20 at 4:17 AM, Kujamih said:

I will admit that pony life has better art than....this...

I’m giving this show a chance, but this ain’t something I ain’t denying. Pony Life has a similar style, but at least ‘em horses were still cute :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to give it a pass.  I'm not a fan of the art style at all and there are more better looking cartoons in existence that I already don't have time to watch without adding something that doesn't appeal to me to a list that is already too long.  If the 3D version is good I may revisit that decision at a later date, but for the moment I'm in no rush to watch it.

I'll give both shows a chance.  I'm not expecting to enjoy either of them nearly as much as FiM, but I'll give them the opportunity to surprise me first before I definitively decide that G5 isn't my thing.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...