Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A question for female bronies

FedoraMemes

Ladies: Pegasister or Brony?  

59 users have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself a Pegasister or a Brony or either?

• Pegasister
    • Brony
    • Either

In my opinion, you are only a Brony if you say that you're a Brony.  Another person can label you all they want, but if you don't acknowledge it, then it is meaningless.

Fits for me.

My definition is "A self-proclaimed or self-expressed fan of My Little Pony". Essentially, whoever calls themselves a Brony is a brony.

Inasmuch, technically I am a brony since I've applied the title to myself in the past, but I prefer not to, often electing to say I enjoy the show, rather than directly consequent an exposition of a complicated and rather flabbergasting fan-group.

• Brohoof 1

"Brony" is a term used to decribe anyone outside of the target demographic of the show. Male, Female, Young, Old. We're all bronies, because we're all outside of the target audience.

WE ALL BRONY

• Brohoof 2

This appears to be a popular topic here- I prefer to be called a 'brony', but I don't mind 'pegasister.' The only times I've ever hated the term is when it was being thrust upon me by some other brony that happened to be harassing another member of a group I was admin to. They basically told us both that 'pegasister' was the only 'appropriate' term for us girls.

Out of context, it kinda does look like I might be making a mountain out of a molehill but it was just the overall, condoning tone that this guy seemed to be using with us.

Other than that, each to their own- if someone prefers to be called a brony, so be it. If they want to be called a pegasister, so be it. I don't see the issue with it either way!

• Brohoof 1

Everypony has the right and privilege to call themselves whatever they want, whether its brony or pegasister. Besides the fandom, is made up of males and females that produce the content of art,music,poems, and fanfictions. So I say, the right is 100% for all girls.

• Brohoof 1

People can call themselves whatever.  It's my understanding a brony is anyone over 15 that likes and watches MLP.  Though bronydom is only bronydom if they choose to call it that.  

I tend to call myself a pegasister because I just like the way it sounds but i don't think its really an issue. I have one of those "Brony" wristbands you get at Hot Topic i wear it proudly.

My opinion is that if we start drawing lines about who is and who is not a brony based on age and gender, we're falling into the same mindset that makes being a brony such an issue to many people.

Yes, the name brony is a bit odd and I wouldn't have minded if we had a different name, but stuff happens and I can live with it.

My definition of a Brony is more or less any fan over the target demographic that enjoys the Show "My Little Pony"

But really everyone has so many different opinions of a Brony that its kinda an unreliable term, I normally just refer to the majority of people as bronies, unless I know to call them elsewise. However I hardly address people as brony here really, I normally use the plural form and describe the fandom if anything, otherwise I just call that person by name or use a random pronoun or something.

Pegasisters does sound kinda lame for girls, so I don't blame them for not liking it. Still if they want to be called as such then I'll refer to them as such, or as bronies if they want that, same for anypony really. If they don't want to be refereed as a brony then I try not to.

I don't really care, however nopony really calls me a brony because nobody except the people here know, and well most people call me by my name here anyways hehe.

I try to use whatever term the person is ok with, but the term hardly pops up when addressing one person so its not to important to me really.

• Brohoof 3

I prefer the term pegasister for female fans, and brony for male fans. Why? I like the way pegasister sounds, and I'm not sure a female being your brother makes sense(except for trannsexuals, but that's a different topic) considering brony=brother+pony. Still, no difference between the two other than gender really. Riverfire, you made it sound like bronies are sexist almost.

I find it amazing that we are having a debate (and for some a civil war) about what to call girl fans of a show that was intended originally for girls. Seriously? Aren't most of us in our mid-twenties or older? Because this seems a lot like a bunch of kids playing freeze tag and then having an argument over whether one of them is frozen or not. Girls can be bronies too, and for all I care guys can call themselves pegasisters... we all watch a great show, can we agree on that at least?

I like to think thats the speech that Abe Lincoln would have wrote had he seen us at each others throats as we are, when we are already ostracized as pervs and weirdos by folks who don't watch the show, and for me those people include my best friend and my sister. Do we really need any more derisiveness?

• Brohoof 3

I always prefer calling female fans of the show "pegasisters", but if they don't like that term and prefer "brony" themselves, there's nothing wrong with that. I feel like some of the disdain for the term "pegasister" is because some equate the seperate term to being seen as "lesser" fans of the show than bronies, almost a derogatory term, when I see no such intentions behind it. But that's just my theory, apparently many just find it "lame". :P

(edited)

I feel like my opinion is going to be really out of place here.

You see, the way I've always thought, a Brony is a more hardcore fan. Gender doesn't matter but I know some people who have watched MLP and admitted they enjoyed it, or at least some fanon, that I wouldn't really consider Bronies.

There's your average fan, they watch, and they may enjoy it but they don't really... I don't know, dedicate themselves as much.

Then there's Bronies, as I said, I see them as the more hardcore fans. Collecting, buying merchandise, making the awesome fanart, etc.

That may sound like it's centering some people out and it might be but that's how I see it.

Edited by ZomBrony

I feel like my opinion is going to be really out of place here.

You see, the way I've always thought, a Brony is a more hardcore fan. Gender doesn't matter but I know some people who have watched MLP and admitted they enjoyed it, or at least some fanon, that I wouldn't really consider Bronies.

There's your average fan, they watch, and they may enjoy it but they don't really... I don't know, dedicate themselves as much.

Then there's Bronies, as I said, I see them as the more hardcore fans. Collecting, buying merchandise, making the awesome fanart, etc.

That may sound like it's centering some people out and it might be but that's how I see it.

Interesting, and that interpretation does hold together logically. However, I am reluctant to use it that way myself, as I stated above that I don't want to be exclusive and alienate the casual fan. It's too easy to fall into the trap of 'hardcore' vs 'casual' mindsets so prevalant in the gamer comunity and having 'You're not *really* a Brony' conversations. In much the same way as that relatively recent mess around girl geeks, because 'attractive women can't be real fans!'.*

* If you're not aware of this mess, I apollogize for exposing you to it. It's really stupid, but it happens.

people can call themselves whatever the hell they want

i just prefer calling older dudes bronies and older girls pegasisters, because calling a girl a bro is too weird for me

I believe that a girl that likes the show is a brony. I do not understand the big deal though. Prgasister or Brony. There is no difference- other than Brony is used more often.

Vrony is used to describe anyone who watches and enjoys the show. Pegasister is just being more specific stating that it is a girl that watches and enjoyes the show.

This is what I believe is the difference is.

I believe that a girl that likes the show is a brony. I do not understand the big deal though. Prgasister or Brony. There is no difference- other than Brony is used more often.

Vrony is used to describe anyone who watches and enjoys the show. Pegasister is just being more specific stating that it is a girl that watches and enjoyes the show.

This is what I believe is the difference is.

I know it's just a typo; but 'Vrony'. I like that. :lol:

I think I'll start using Vrony all the time, just to see if anyone corrects me. Heheeheee.

Generally, Brony is considered more masculine since the root of the word comes from "Bro" and "Pony".

Usually, you don't call females bros.

I personally don't care much for what people call themselves, but I don't really see why a female would call them self a brony when a pegasister is basically the "female" version of the term.

Here's how I see it. Both those terms mean a fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but the difference between the two is gender.

Why don't y'all come up with a term that's genderless? :3

(edited)

You know how you call people playing games "gamers"? That "group" contains both genders, but is generally considered to have more males, and as such, sometimes you'll hear "gamer girl", which is stressing that this particular person is a female, to avoid any confusion.

You know how you call people liking MLP "bronies"? That "group" contains both genders, but is generally considered to have more males, and as such, sometimes you'll hear "pegasister", which is stressing that this particular person is a female, to avoid any confusion.

Good enough?
Edited by Jessper

Generally, Brony is considered more masculine since the root of the word comes from "Bro" and "Pony".

Usually, you don't call females bros.

I personally don't care much for what people call themselves, but I don't really see why a female would call them self a brony when a pegasister is basically the "female" version of the term.

Here's how I see it. Both those terms mean a fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but the difference between the two is gender.

Why don't y'all come up with a term that's genderless? :3

Vrony. I'm officially changing it to Vrony. I know I have no authority whatsoever, but so what. Vrony it is.

B)

I'm a Vrony, he's a Vrony, she's a Vrony, they're a Vrony, wouldn't you like to be a Vrony too? (Cookie if you get the reference.)

• 3 months later...

So, uh hey guys, so I was wondering if I can be a brony? Theres been a lot of contraversy to whether girls can be Bronies, I have friends at school who aren't bronies or pegasisters, they say I can't be a brony, they don't know nothin'  :) I've been calling myself a brony for a while now, so is that right or am I a pegasister :) I'm still gonna call myself and my friend at school who is a brony/pegasister a brony :) but I just want to know :) (BTW I'm Female) :D

• Brohoof 4

You can definitely be a Brony. People saying you can't--that's their opinion. You can be whatever you want to be. There are tons of girls who call themselves Bronies.

• Brohoof 14