Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Horror themed episodes in MLP a good idea?

Jammo

Now I don't mean horror horror like genuinely frightening..

But how do you guys feel about horror themed episodes.

Like zombie ponies. ( Within the bounds of the shows demographic I mean. No flesh eating. Make the ponies glow unnatural colors then do something silly to another pony to spread it )

Horror conventions and tropes that have been used in a lot of kids cartoons before, but with enough cuteness to counterbalance and keep it silly and fun.

• Brohoof 2

Halloween with everything you've mentioned but fake has been done. Maybe when Discord comes back he can come back on Nightmare Night and revive the long dead Ponyjackson, who will bring the zombie ponies dancing into Ponyville from their graves.

Seriously though, as long as it's indeed nothing too over the top I'd be curious to see if they could make undead become something.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think a "horror" episode would be cool for another Halloween Season episode.

I believe that kids do like to be scared, contrary to what some concerned parents seem to believe. All this talk of zombies though is killing me. (Pun totally intended).

Seriously guys, has the broad definition of "Horror" become so bland that zombies is the FIRST thing everyone goes for?

Zombies can be scary, but the way that modern media has beaten that dead horse to death (pun intended again), zombies are more common place than what crime investigation shows are to tv.

Hell zombies are becoming more annoying than the young adult fixation on Vampires!

I think people can come up with more than Zombies when it comes to horror (or at least I hope they could). Slashers, poltergeists, Lovecraftian Monstrosities, demons and even the kiddie favorites of Dracula, Wolfman, Mummies, and Frankenstien.

---

I think the best thing MLP could do to something horror related, but still cutesy, is a nod to Scooby Doo. (I initially thought Courage the Cowardly Dog, but some people have brought up that as too scary and Scooby is more classic.)

Basically the way I see it is that there is some big scary monster (big and scary to the definition of a 5 year old girl mind you) roams Ponyville and has been spooking all the Ponies and making them run away from their duties. All the scared victims though are oddly connected through some greater plot (like someone emptying a museum to steal a relic or something). Then Twilight and the gang catch on to the connection of disappearances and find something that confirms to them that this is no real monster. Then the gang find and capture the monster (classic Scooby Doo chase scene optional, but dammit wouldn't that be awesome to add in). They catch the "monster" and reveal it to be some culprit and Twilight explains the plans and motives.

In the end they could talk about how they learned their lesson of of coming fears, or not to panic, or not to jump to conclusions.

Edited by Colon Leftbracket
  • Brohoof 2

I wouldn't mind another horror themed episode. As a big horror fan, I'd actually love it! :)

As long as they bring in Nobuo Uemastu, the composer from the Final Fantasy franchise to work on the music, I'd say go for it. Who knows how epic he'll make an episode sound with his music. He's the best in the business when it comes to game soundtracks.

I'd love a horror episode!

What if they made Rainbow Factory somewhat canon? Like there are scary rumors revolving around the factory. Not as disturbing of the actual fanfic, of course! (just an idea)

And this thread gave me another idea of an episode that isn't particularly horror, but there are ghosts. Like the ghosts of the leaders and assistants of ancient Equestria (Hearth's Warming Eve).

• 4 weeks later...

Season 1 Episode 2 had an eerie forest with seemingly grotesque face on the trees. There was also a scene in this episode where the Shadowbolts lured Rainbow Dash alone into a fog.

Seems scary too me ;o. It would be a nice addition to MLP if there was an episode that was entirely horror based since the writers and animators already do a good job of creating a scary atmosphere in intended episodes.

A zombie themed episode would be a good idea, seeing as zombie stores exist in their world. Something is turning the ponies into mindless creators and it's up to the mane 6 to find out what is happening and each one is hit one at a time.

It the end it would be the cmc fault for trying to use magic.

Since they have Cerberus and a lot of other mystic creatures I think a mystery episode would be cool.

I would like something classic like for example one of the mane6 tells a scary tale on a sleepover and the next day they find hints that this is really going to happen.

Edited by Wildcard

Like others have stated, a Scooby Doo-esqe approach is the most realistic. I mean, we can't exactly have actual horror in the show, can we?

Have a "ghost" running around haunting Ponyville's businesses making them lose customers. Have it turn out to be Flim and Flam wearing a sheet, as a scheme to run everypony out of business so they can come in take over Ponyville's commerce. Mane ponies save the day, Flim and Flam lament being caught, Spike says something funny, they all laugh, cue a zany freeze-frame, and credits roll.

• Brohoof 1

Uhh... I don't know. For a Halloween episode, It shouldn't be anything too over the top. Maybe it's just me, but I don't know why I don't like the idea of Zombie Ponies... Something like a Scooby Doo-ish episode where they go into a haunted mansion or something.

• Brohoof 2

I think for this season's Nightmare Night episode, the mane 6 should have to go somewhere to get something (very precise desciption, I know) and there should be lots o' creepy stuff along the way, something that challenges each of the ponies' main weaknesses.

• 2 years later...