Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Characters that get too much attention?

MidnightStallion

Overhype?  

119 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rainbowdash and Fluttershy are overhyped?

• Strongly Yes
    • Leaning Yes
    • Neutral
    • Leaning No
    • Strongly No

I feel as some characters in the show get too much attention from the fans for sometimes no apperant reason. I see too many people hype about how amazing Rainbow dash and Fluttershy are based on only physical appearance. I am not saying others don't have legitimate reasons, but it seems they get popular for that reason alone! I feel that the rest of the mane 6 get shunned by other characters because of this, Twilight and Rarity espically. What do you think about it?

Edit: I guess I phrased this incorrectly, when I said appearance, I meant to say appearance and nothing else. I do agree that it is a person's opinion whether they like a character or not, But I think a lot of the opinions formed are underdeveloped or not given enough though.

Edited by MidnightStallion
  • Brohoof 1

Over-hyped? No.

Liking the characters is all a matter of opinion, and opinions can never be wrong. Everyone that does like them has some sort of reason, although that reason can vary substantially. I like each and every character in the Mane 6, and each for a very different reason. That said, my favorite character is Spitfire.

In other words, Rainbow Dash's and Fluttershy's attributes simply appeal to a lager portion of the audience than the other characters, hence their larger popularity.

Edited by Strife
  • Brohoof 9

Well it's pretty normal to choose a character based on appearance. I think that people do it for all of the main six, not just Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. My personal favorite is Twilight Sparkle, but Rainbow Dash's appearance is more appealing to me. That's why, for example, my OC is a unicorn, but also has some physical attrubutes that Rainbow Dash has.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are most likely the two most popular ponies, but people mostly choose them because of their personality. For example, people like that Rainbow Dash is, "Awesome, cool, funny and athletic." People like Pinkie Pie for her random"ness" and silly attitude.

Well it's pretty normal to choose a character based on appearance. I think that people do it for all of the main six, not just Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. My personal favorite is Twilight Sparkle, but Rainbow Dash's appearance is more appealing to me. That's why, for example, my OC is a unicorn, but also has some physical attrubutes that Rainbow Dash has.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are most likely the two most popular ponies, but people mostly choose them because of their personality. For example, people like that Rainbow Dash is, "Awesome, cool, funny and athletic." People like Pinkie Pie for her random"ness" and silly attitude.

Pinkie is actually 3rd most popular pony, according to the huge poll in Equestria Daily, RD is second, and Fluttershy is always well 1st

Meh' more people like those two, so what? they're their favorite, not ours, no point to argue on that

• Brohoof 1

I don't feel as if Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are "over hyped". While they do seem to have a much stronger fanbase then the other ponies (specifically Applejack and Rarity), they just appeal to a larger audience then the other ponies do it seems.

I think Pinkie is overhyped even though she is considered the 3rd most popular pony. RD isn't overhyped she's just that awesome. Fluttershy is overhyped a little. I haven't seen very much of her recently so I'm going to say neutral.

• Brohoof 1

Of course some characters are more popular than others, it is that way in everything. I don't love Rainbow Dash just for her looks. I love her for her bravery, strength, and loyalty. I like Fluttershy, but I agree that she is overhyped. I prefer Twilight and Pinkie.

Nope, not overhyped. The Majority of Bronies associate with RBD or Fluttershy in most ways. Me, I'm Twi, but i know plenty of dashes and not many fluttershys (they dont peak their heads out around me, i look like pinkie). The Rarities probably are at the soup kitchens and AJ's out working in the field. That leaves the majority that are active to be RBD and Fluttershy's.

FLUTTERSHY IS SO OVERYHYPED it's not even funny D:

Then RD and Pinkie Pie. I don't like them at all.

Rarity and AJ don't get an lovin' IMO D:

I don't exactly feel like they are over hyped. I believe everyone has their own opinion, and it may come across that way when they are trying to express their opinion. Nothing to get upset about. Fluttershy being more popular than Rarity isn't a big deal. It's not "over hyped" IMO.

FLUTTERSHY IS SO OVERYHYPED it's not even funny D:

Then RD and Pinkie Pie. I don't like them at all.

Rarity and AJ don't get an lovin' IMO D:

Rarity and AJ are just not as popular, no biggie. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are just more popular, as they seem to appeal to a large audience. Again, no biggie.

• Brohoof 1

As far as the fandom goes, people like what they like. Each of the Mane 6 have completely unique personalities compared to one another, so if someone likes them, they like them, and that's that.

Now, going by what Hasbro does with them...Dash and Pinkie are both endorsed in commercials and on merchandise far more than the other characters, which I suppose you could say supports the idea of hype for those two characters.

here is a fun game for you count who much screen time each of the man 6 get each, you'll start to notice that there round about the same.

i just think some character are handed better then other Rainbowdash being one of the but i think that the fan bases fault, while PinkiePie ,AppleJack and Rarity are done very well.

As far as the fandom goes, people like what they like. Each of the Mane 6 have completely unique personalities compared to one another, so if someone likes them, they like them, and that's that.

Now, going by what Hasbro does with them...Dash and Pinkie are both endorsed in commercials and on merchandise far more than the other characters, which I suppose you could say supports the idea of hype for those two characters.

Because they have the most fans and the loudest fans. Most fluttershy fans are shy like her. They wont parade fluttershy like most RBD and Pinkie Fans (no offense. lol). Besides, character wise, rarity would miss doing a commercial taking to long ot get ready, fluttershy would disapear, AJ would be working, and twi would be busy reading.

Get my drift y'all?

Because they have the most fans and the loudest fans. Most fluttershy fans are shy like her. They wont parade fluttershy like most RBD and Pinkie Fans (no offense. lol). Besides, character wise, rarity would miss doing a commercial taking to long ot get ready, fluttershy would disapear, AJ would be working, and twi would be busy reading.

Get my drift y'all?

I am sorry but you are acting like these characters are real people, this is a fictional show. And this is getting ridiculous, my topic for discussion was that people instantly defluated to RD and fluttershy without giving much thought. Where are you people going in this conversation?

Yeah, many people have just given attention to most ponies over appearance. But when I judge ponies, I judge them based on howwell I cope with their personality. For example, I like Rainbow Dash because I'm more familiar with her personalit (and shes 20% cooler :wub: ), and Pinkie Pie is atthe bottom because I can't really cope with her personality (not very hyperactive :lol: )

That's just how I judge them.

Rainbow Dash, Hater!

• Brohoof 1

I am sorry but you are acting like these characters are real people, this is a fictional show. And this is getting ridiculous, my topic for discussion was that people instantly defluated to RD and fluttershy without giving much thought. Where are you people going in this conversation?

Yes, I did get a bit silly. But the application still applies, if you look at the characters as the type of people who are their fans. That is exactly what most of them are doing. Your favorite pony usually is the strongest part of you (from the trends I have observed). Thus, AJ's are busy working, Twi's are studying, Rarities either being generous or doing make-up, fluttershy's are hiding or with animals or hiding with animals. That leaves RBD's who just try to be liked and are everywhere they can be and pinkies who are everywhere because they want to have fun with everyone. (yes, those are generalities)

Point is, RBD and Pinkies thrive off people, so they are the most notable. The other fans thrive off other things like hard work, knowledge, etc.

Yes, I did get a bit silly. But the application still applies, if you look at the characters as the type of people who are their fans. That is exactly what most of them are doing. Your favorite pony usually is the strongest part of you (from the trends I have observed). Thus, AJ's are busy working, Twi's are studying, Rarities either being generous or doing make-up, fluttershy's are hiding or with animals or hiding with animals. That leaves RBD's who just try to be liked and are everywhere they can be and pinkies who are everywhere because they want to have fun with everyone. (yes, those are generalities)

Point is, RBD and Pinkies thrive off people, so they are the most notable. The other fans thrive off other things like hard work, knowledge, etc.

Well Rarity's my favorite but I dont like make-up or looking good. I actually don't give two shits about my apperance (most of the time) Its so much more than that.
  • Brohoof 1

Well Rarity's my favorite but I dont like make-up or looking good. I actually don't give two shits about my apperance (most of the time) Its so much more than that.

Interesting. And your the exact reason I speak in generalities. Everything also was the atypical (and finding them is so much fun). I am an anthropologist. Favourite characters can easily be a sub-culture of bronies. lol.

I wouldn't really say they're "over-hyped" both Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash have a big fanbase (no doubt about that). But I'm one for the unicorns and alicorns. Go Twi, Rarity, Celestia, and Luna!

• Brohoof 2

if you want an overrated character, try vinyl scratch. she sin 2 episodes and had no lines. also, derpy is a n overrated character. she had 4 lines and has less than one minute of screen time.

• Brohoof 1

Yea Dash i kinda over hyped it seems as if a lot of people that like the show have Dash as their favorite pony. as for Fluttershy she seems to be a little hyped just not as much

I said netrual because Rainbow Dash is higly not, yet Fluttershy is highly yes. (now lets not go killing others for their opinions)

• Brohoof 1