Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated/Underrated Characters?

TwiForLife

Overrated: Definitely Princess Celestia. Everypony looks up to her and raves about her on the show but I don't see whats special about her. Also Trixie.

Underrated: Yea. I'm going to have to agree with all of you that Applejack needs more screen time.

In the fandom, I consider Princess Celestia to be very underrated in comparison to her sister Luna. Maybe that's just me though. After all, she's my favorite princess.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

Well I think that Applejack, Spike, Celestia, and maybe even Twilight are kinda underrated. I think Twilight is probably one of the mane 6 I see the least fans for. Shes my second favorite to the apparently infamous Fluttershy :P. I'm not an obsessive fanboy or anything, I don't obsess over here or anything. I just like to be able to relate to her.

As for spike, honestly people seem to forget he exists sometimes :P. And Celestia as far as fandom goes is outshine by Luna alot. I mean I like Luna more, But that doesn't mean I don't think Celestia's underrated.

AJ is underrated but for a different reason to me, I think she actually has more dedicated fans then Twilight, of course I haven't done any official count, however she has way less screen time then Twilight for sure.

Overrated people for me... To be honest I don't know how much i consider any of the characters really overrated.. I mean if someone likes a character that's fine with me. There's always the people who hate one character or another for being overrated, but honestly I find it hard to hate any of the mane 6. And to be honest I kinda like seeing the hype about random background characters who get little to no air time. Such as Derpy, Vinyl, ect.

I mean Fluttershy is quite a common favorite, but i've seen a pretty close amount of fans for RD to. Honestly I don't think shes that overrated, and I certainly don't hate any fans of any of the mane 6. I love all the ponies pretty equally, I just relate to Fluttershy best and she is quite adorable. I'm fine with different opinions though!

Phew. That was quite lengthy and ramble filled. Sorry about that.

I love everypony so I wouldn't say any pony is truely 'overrated'.

As for the most underrated ponies - well that award goes to AppleJack and Scootaloo. How come Applebloom and SweetieBelle both had episodes centred on them (okay maybe its because they have AppleJack and Rarity as their big sisters) while Scootaloo hasn't? I want more Scootaloo!

AppleJack needs some more songs. I have never heard her have her own solo song before and all the other 5 ponies have...I think - has RD had her own song?

Anyway, out of the mane six I think it's AppleJack needs to be heard a little more. I really hope she gets a song to herself this season.

Fan wise, I think Twilight Sparkle is the underrated pony. AJ has loads of fans, as do Rarity, FlutterShy (she's one the most popular in my opinion) and Pinkie Pie. And don't forget Rainbow Dash - she has the most dedicated fanbase from what I've noticed!

Has RD had her own song?

No, but the "Find a Pet Song" features her with a major part in it. AJ only ever sings in group songs.

Fan wise, I think Twilight Sparkle is the underrated pony. AJ has loads of fans, as do Rarity, FlutterShy (she's one the most popular in my opinion) and Pinkie Pie. And don't forget Rainbow Dash - she has the most dedicated fanbase from what I've noticed

Yeah, what I've noticed is that nobody really dislikes Twilight (unlike, say, AJ or Rarity), but most people don't really like her either. She's somewhere in the middle.

Overrated - Derpy, Flutters and Rainbow. I find Rainbow a jerk, and therefore I always feel like people like her more then they should - since she is kinda like the rich bully who everyone likes (have you seen her house?! :blink: ) Everyone obsesses over Derpy, and she's cute, but I never got the big deal that much. And of course Flutters is adroable. I like her, but I think she cn get annoying, and therefore I don't understand why she is the fandom's favourite pony (as per poll on EQD).

Octavia and Vinyl Scratch might be a bit overrated too. As far as I can tell, they are both only shown for 3 seconds in 1 episode, Vinyl in 2/3.

Underrated - AJ and Trixie. Obviously AJ has the least personality of all of the ponies. She is not alot of people's favourite/least favourite pony. As far as Trixie goes, she might not be that underrated. Infact she might be overrated. But I feel like people don't get that the mane six where basically throwing verbal tomatoes at her while she was just trying to make a living. And judging by her new design it looks like she is coming back under King Sombra's control. :( But Trixie Ponyville looks FREAKING AWESOME.

Edited by Firebolt
  • Brohoof 1

Overrated: Derpy

Underrated: Octavia

Ooooohh, my obsession over her knows no bounds... Except the bounds of brony pr0n... I'm not into that sort of stuff. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that some of the characters are very overrated, especially background ponies like Trixie and Vinyl Scratch; however, part of it is like what Doctor XFizzle said: although they didn't appear much in the show, the fandom has turned them into something great.

I think that both Applejack and Twilight Sparkle are under-appreciated characters. Nobody ever says that Twilight or Applejack are their favs.

I also have to wonder what exactly fanfiction writers have against Rainbow Dash; "Cupcakes," "Rainbow Factory," "Rocket to Insanity," etc.

You obviously aren't expecting me then, Twilight is favorite my pony character because she's like a female version of myself. Spike however is still best character

I do...

overrated; DJ Pon3, Octavia

these two have like less then a minute of screentime combined and say nothing but have rather large fanbases, I mean ponies like Derpy at least talked and and was seen in a ton of episodes

underrated; Lyra, Photo Finish, Applejack

Lyra deserves more love, Photo Finish was a lot of fun, had her own episode, but try to find much fan art of her...

Applejack obviously deserves more attention, but she is the most level headed and sane out of the mane 6 so I can understand why she is a tad harder to write for

I know what you mean, Twilight and possibly Fluttershy have asperger's Syndrome/High Functioning Autism. Saying Rarity has severe OCD is like saying the Atlantic Ocean is wet. Pinkie is practically the cover girl for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Magazine. Rainbow has a mild case of Narcissistic Personality disorder but her good points show up often enough besides her character basically owes itself to Donald Duck right down to her temper and fighting stance. Applejack has no psychological disorders, she's just stubborn and opinionated,

It's Funny how Spike is just as sane but they can make him interesting.

I think Hasbro does a pretty decent job of Balancing out How many episodes each character gets a season. Although a little more applejack would be nice.

It sucks getting only Two Spike episodes a season. They need to use him more. He is the true voice of reason among the mane cast, Twilight tries but fails to be.

You obviously aren't expecting me then, Twilight is favorite my pony character because she's like a female version of myself. Spike however is still best character

I know what you mean, Twilight and possibly Fluttershy have asperger's Syndrome/High Functioning Autism. Saying Rarity has severe OCD is like saying the Atlantic Ocean is wet. Pinkie is practically the cover girl for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Magazine. Rainbow has a mild case of Narcissistic Personality disorder but her good points show up often enough besides her character basically owes itself to Donald Duck right down to her temper and fighting stance. Applejack has no psychological disorders, she's just stubborn and opinionated,

It's Funny how Spike is just as sane but they can make him interesting.

It sucks getting only Two Spike episodes a season. They need to use him more. He is the true voice of reason among the mane cast, Twilight tries but fails to be.

Except when he's stuffing his face with ice cream, obsessing over Rarity, turning into a giant greed dragon or carrying out a vendetta against an owl right :). Spike can act as the voice of reason, but he can get pretty loco too at times.
  • Brohoof 1

Overtime I've seen some changes in pony favorites in the fandom. I think more and more people are starting to like Applejack as more art and videos of her are getting attention.

She used to be the most underrated, she may still be, but not as much as she used to. Rarity on the other hand hasn't really changed in popularity it seems. I like her yet very few others do compared to the other characters. She doesn't get much recognition for how hard she tries to be generous.

The most overrated character for no apparent reason is Fluttershy. I don't get why so many people like her because she's "cute". She doesn't do a lot for the mane six...

• Brohoof 1

Underrated: Spitfire, Cadance

Overrated: Fluttershy

Yeah I said it...I think Fluttershy is overrated. She honestly doesn't really do anything except be scared of everything.

Edited by Champion RD92
  • Brohoof 3

I'd say Luna is overrated, mainly because Celestia is better in my opinion ._.

And Colgate is underrated, she just doesn't have enough fan following I think. She really doesn't get enough attention.

I have to say my opinions have changed drastically since seeing episodes of Season 3.

Overrated (so far): Twilight has been getting quite alot of attention for the first few episodes of Season 3 as well as the last few from the Season 2 finale. Luckily it seems that her spotlight is dimming down a little bit which is a good thing. 

Underrated: Applejack is still lacking some time here too but future episodes proves she will get her chance to shine. Spike also has gotten quite a bit of screen time himself appearing in almost every episode in the current season. I also liked his important role in The Crystal Empire. Because of that and he gets another episode centered around him and Applejack he will soon not be underrated anymore. (I just wish they would hook him up with a female dragon for celestia sake)

Things are starting to become much more balanced for Season 3 so eventually i will withdraw my current opinions

Overrated- Rainbow Dash, I like her don't get me wrong but her arrogance can get a bit jarring at times

Underrated- Applejack, easily one of the most compelling characters in the show yet hardly gets any screen time

• Brohoof 2

Under appreciated: Applejack, Spike, Royal Guards

Over Appreciated: Luna, Derpy, Fluttershy

Truth be told, I can add many more to this list, but many of those other characters actually play a rolin the over appreciated section, like Rainbow Dash, while there is still plenty of love for some characters I would put in the under appreciated section, like Twilight Sparkle.

• Brohoof 4

Overrated... Diamond Tiara

Underrated... Discord

The way I see it, he isn't a villan. He is just someone wanting to have fun! Sure he turned the main 6 into backwards versions of themseves, but that was just so he wouldn't be turned back to stone!

Overrated... Diamond Tiara

Underrated... Discord

The way I see it, he isn't a villan. He is just someone wanting to have fun! Sure he turned the main 6 into backwards versions of themseves, but that was just so he wouldn't be turned back to stone!

Except that he was quite sadistic in breaking the Mane 6, and all of his fun came at the expense of others, who were plainly not enjoying his sense of fun at all. There's also the stained glass window in Celestia's palace that features him holding marionette ponies inside fire. He seems pretty evil to me personally.

Except that he was quite sadistic in breaking the Mane 6, and all of his fun came at the expense of others, who were plainly not enjoying his sense of fun at all. There's also the stained glass window in Celestia's palace that features him holding marionette ponies inside fire. He seems pretty evil to me personally.

1st of all, if i didn't see it, i don't count it, (The glass)

2nd, The way I see that, that's more like being a bully than it is being evil. (The fun)

Fluttershy is just cute and sweet, so the obssession with her is understandable! She's my 1st fave pony along with Luna or 2nd.

Overrated: Derpy (I have to agree w the reasons above)

Underrated: I think Luna doesn't have enough, she's almosty like making cameo appearances, not major role like Celestia. Needs more participation.

Underrated... Discord   The way I see it, he isn't a villan. He is just someone wanting to have fun! Sure he turned the main 6 into backwards versions of themseves, but that was just so he wouldn't be turned back to stone!

Hmm i dont know....Sure i think his "fun" is misunderstood in a way. Chaos cant exist without harmony. He didn't just corrupt the mane 6 but almost everyone (Big Mac and Granny Smith were also corrupted but as for Granny Smith that kind of seemed like a plus for her)  

Edited by ~Chaotic Harmony~
  • Brohoof 2

1st of all, if i didn't see it, i don't count it, (The glass)

2nd, The way I see that, that's more like being a bully than it is being evil. (The fun)

Fair enough with the glass, but I do think that there is a line between being a bully and being evil. By the time you come to driving innocent people insane for fun you've crossed the line a long time ago in my opinion

Fair enough with the glass, but I do think that there is a line between being a bully and being evil. By the time you come to driving innocent people insane for fun you've crossed the line a long time ago in my opinion

But he didn't drive ponies insane for fun! He only got them sticky with chocolate rain, coton candy clouds, and made them silp with soapy roads!