Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated/Underrated Characters?

TwiForLife

(edited)

Underrated: Silver Shill.

Oh wow, did I seriously thought that Silver Shill was a good character? x)

Anyways, I find Marble Pie to be ridiculously overrated. Sure, she has a really great character design, but her personality is just so boring. We've seen Fluttershy and Coco Pommel do it so much better as they both have goals and stories to share. All Marble does is say "mmhmm" and exist as Ship Tease between her and Big Macintosh. (which is a ship i don't really like all that much anyway.) There are a couple of other characters I find overrated, but Marble is the first one that comes into mind.

On the subject of the Pie family though, I think that Limestone Pie is pretty underrated. Some people dislike her for how nasty she is, but I love her for that reason. She is so devoted into taking care of Boulder's Holder to the point where she thinks that anybody outside of her home is out to harm the family and take away the boulder. It's both hilarious and more interesting to watch compared to Marble's interactions with other ponies. Oh, and Limestone has an adorable character design. I just love her punk-ish haircut!

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

Underrated: Applejack

Overrated: Fluttershy

Applejack is not as lack luster as everyone seems to think. She has some good episodes and its also not always about the characters individual episodes but also what they do in other episodes as well. I also think that because family problems are a big issue in todays world it also makes it a lot harder to appreciate AJ (I understand this cause I'm one of those people).

Fluttershy gets basically an opposite of AJ's appreciate in the sense that a lot of people struggle with social anxiety problems (witch might have some link to family issues as well just a random thought). Anyway the biggest problem with Fluttershy is that most her episodes or moments with her character are based on the same problem just done slightly different.

Overrated: Rarity. Fashion, fashion and fashion. Is there something else? Just watched Castle Sweet Castle, the manipulation isn t funny anymore, just sad (for Spike).

Of course my bias is speaking here. You could say similar things to all the others. To fashion pony, to nerd pony, to party pony, to athlete pony, to country pony and timid pony.

Underrated: Fluttershy. Not many see her development during the seasons. Though its understandable, when Larson or Scare Master happens where she is flanderized big time and becomes S01-Flutters again.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Overrated: Every single background pony if you can even count them as characters.  Because prior to Slice of Life, I highly doubt that you could name 3 character traits, let alone describing an actual personality for background ponies like Bon Bon and Octavia and all the others.  All though Derpy gets a little bit of a pass for me because she actually did some things like being the very first animation error noticed in the show (which is pretty significant),having a speaking role in The Last Roundup (although it is pretty sad that she overshadowed Applejack- an actual main character in that episode) and being an easter egg to find in episodes.

But still literally none of them have had any sort of narrative purpose or role to play in the actual show other than filling out crowd shots, and they somehow get gigantic fanbases for literally doing nothing.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Underrated: Does Rarity still count as Underrated? if not then Applejack, she's kind of the rock of the group but gets little appreciation for it.

Overrated: Fluttershy, she's boring guys, I know a lot of her traits are relatble to people but she's stuck in this endless circle of repetition and character resets. 

Also Marble Pie and Luna, don't get why they are so ridiculously popular, Marble has next to no character at all and Luna is inconsistent at best and boring at worst.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

(edited)

I don't know if any character's seriously overrated... but perhaps Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are kinda close. I'd hate for those traits that made them popular to crowd out other things that could make them grow as characters.

Applejack and Twilight are probably more underrated, cuz Applejack isn't included as much, and Twilight... I don't know what's going on with Twilight. I've seen Twi fans on the forums, but every fan I meet in real life dislikes her. Kinda makes me sad. :/

Oh, and Spike! Spike could do SO much more, but he almost never gets the chance.

Edited by PinkieatHeart

Overrated characters: Probably Rainbow dash for me.

Underrated characters: I know that she's only a background pony but Colgate (Minuette) .. She was so awesome in Amending fences. She needs to be used more.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Overrated: Derpy Hooves, Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Princess Luna.

Underrated: Princess Cadance, Discord, Cloudchaser.

Just my opinion passing through.

Edited by n00bUltima

(edited)

Overrated: Rainbow Dash, Trixie, Muffins, Lyra, Scootaloo, Discord, DJPone

Underrated: Shining Armor, Cadance, Pipsqueak, Applebloom, Flash Sentry

Edited by cider float

For me, Octavia, Lyra, Bon Bon (or Sweety Drops if you prefer) and Vinyl are all pretty overrated, but the queen of overratedness is definitely Sunset Shimmer,  I mean, to all intents and purposes she doesn't even exist in the FiM universe, she was created for EQG and there she remains having never once appeared, been mentioned, or even vaguely referred to, in FiM.

InB4 'But EQG has been declared canon'.  It doesn't matter.  Her net impact in Equestria is precisely zero, therefore it makes no difference if it's canon or not, the fact that she affected nothing in any way means that her existence, or lack thereof amount to the same thing, therefore her existence is null and void, exactly as if she didn't exist at all.

As for underrated, I would look not to the fandom, but rather to the writers.  Celestia.  Don't get me wrong here, I'm all about Luna, but I still want to see a Celestia episode, the fact that she's been overlooked thus far is negligent bordering on criminal.

Underrated: Spike - Christ, he is a main and he is barely mentioned.

Changelings - Kinda interesenting characters, but not mentioned so many times on the fandom

Twist - She's adorable

Celestia - Blame her younger sister

Flesh Sentry - He is actually overhated, but still, people seems to hate him for no reason at all

Matilda and her mate - Okay, Slice of Lice made most background ponies overrated, except the two main characters from the episode. Actually, most episodes end up having background ponies more popular than the main.

Carrot Mane Background Gal - Just because she wasn't on Slice of Life.

Overrated: Luna - Why do people like her so much again?

Button Mash - Okay, before Button Adventures he was kinda underrated but then OHMYGOD DONT MINE AT NIGHT BUTTON WAVE

The backgroundies from Slice of Life - They were already very liked before this episode, but then, after Slice of Life, the main were OVERFLOODING the fandom. Manly Derpy.

I think we should keep this thread on actually relevant characters. All background ponies are "overrated" since they do nothing in the show, so it wouldn't be fair to include them here.

Overrated: Sunset Shimmer is the definition of overrated, she's overrated by everyone, me included  :lol: Other overrated characters imo are princess Luna and Fluttershy, although Fluttershy didn't get much love in the last season. I say overrated because some fans have them as the only important characters, but they're actually great characters in my opinion.

Underrated: Twilight, Spike and Celestia. Twilight is still an amazing character, Celestia doesn't seem to do much but I think she just works behind the scenes, and Spike is underrated because the writers don't know what to do with him.

• Brohoof 1

If I'm to be honest, I think Starlight Glimmer is pretty underrated. She's been getting a lot of trash ever since the season finale for not having the fandom's love behind her when she was reformed. I get that it seemed rushed and shoved on to us pretty fast, but I can't help but to love her anyways. (Despite her anger issues) I always love when the major villain is a pony, and I especially love when they don't try to win over brute force. I guess that's pretty much what happened in the finale until she was convinced, but the opener was just 'who's stronger?' But was more psychological. Winning over convincing rather than strength, and those type of scenarios are my favorite. It's why I really love the Flim Flam Brothers. They aren't stronger, they are just smarter. Smarter till their not. I guess they could be pretty underrated too, but their design isn't as appealing to me honestly.

So in conclusion: love Starlight, maybe love the Flims.

• Brohoof 1

Overrated: Derpy, Sonata Dusk and various background characters.

Underrated: Spike, Flash Sentry, Applejack and Celestia.

Edited by Fluidty

I find Trixie and Derpy overrated. Trixie is obnoxious and Derpy is fine but I don't get the obsession. I actually found Twilight overrated when I first was aware of the fandom. Everyone seemed to list her as their favorite. Now it seems like she doesn't get that much love. I don't know if I'd call her underrated though, but her ranks have definitely dropped from my observation. Is it the alicorn thing?

Rainbow Dash is both underrated and overrated depending on who you ask. People either love her or hate her it seems. I'm in the former category. I also find the same thing true of Rarity, my second favorite of the mane 6 (they're in most ways opposites I know, but I guess I enjoy characters with big egos lol).

• Brohoof 1

I could dozen characters who are underrated and overrated. But i just name 2 for each category.

OVERRATED:

Sunset Shimmer - She is the definition of overrated. At first she was a bully, then she was an underdog and now she is basically Twilight Sparkle 2.0, with less going for her. I can live without her.

Princess Luna - It's pretty much most of the fandom stuff that makes her overrated, because she is mostly fine in the tv series (that one dream episode in season 5 dosen't count) the fandom has this weird obsession with romanticizing depression, which i never found funny. And they like to portray Luna as such. Gamer Luna also makes no sense.

UNDERRATED:

Starlight Glimmer - At this point, she is incredibly underrated. People hear her name and want to already put her on a cross, eventhough she hasn't done alot of things. Give her a chance for christ sake. If she is not good, we can still call murderer.

Applejack - oh dear AJ. If you get an episode, it's either with your family, or spotlight gets takin from another pony (Last Roundup anybody?) She really needs an episode for herself. Without any of her family and where no one will outshine her.

While I wouldn't call her underrated per se, I do think that Ms. Harshwhinny is a character that deserves a bit more love. She is such a cynical character and is older than most, which is a breath of fresh air compared to how young and energetic most of the characters are. She isn't the most compelling character ever, but I still like her for her personality.

Underrated: Applejack, she's actually a very funny character with lots of great moments, the perfect foil for both RD and Rarity.

Overrated: Derpy Hooves, I'm just gonna come out and say it, I don't like her that much, all her background appearences make her look like the generic clumsy idiot, her appearence in Slice of Life was decent, but nothing special. I can even kind of see why some people got offended by the last roundup. Now I''ve said all this I can look forward to some brony tracking down my address, torturing me as slowly and grusomely as possible, and then killing me in the most merciless way possible.

• Brohoof 1