Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overrated/Underrated Characters?

TwiForLife

But he didn't drive ponies insane for fun! He only got them sticky with chocolate rain, coton candy clouds, and made them silp with soapy roads!

What about Big Macintosh? I doubt Big Mac enjoyed thinking that he was an animal and being unable to help his family cope with all the confusing and scary things that were going on. I also highly doubt he was the only one that Discord messed with mentally but we can't confirm it since we didn't see any others.

I would have to say the most under-appreciated character in the series is Trixie,

I honestly see somewhat more of a dislike of her than anything else

The most over- appreciated character would have to be , like most people have said...

Vinyl Scratch...

Don't get me wrong, I love that character too however, she blew up into popularity almost as soon as she was shown on the first episode of the series

Most overrated: Rainbow Dash. omg. If I have to hear someone say '20% cooler' again i'm going to throw a fit. Personally, I think she is the worst character next to Twist. Her personality just bothers me.

Underrated: Zecora, sure she has had some really great scenes, but she is such an interesting character, I'd love for her to show up more (or maybe have her own episode).

Sometimes I feel like the term overrated and underrated are as abused as the terms "Hardcore gamer" and "Casual gamer"

For most overrated, definitely Trixie and Derpy:

Trixie - she wasn't bad as a one-shot, but I never really found her memorable outside of color scheme. I don't really have much of the problem with her, but the way a majority of the fandom *coughequestriadailycough* obsess over her rubs me the wrong way

Derpy - You know you got an overrated character when her 30 seconds of screen time completely overshadows the main character of the episode(this is especially true with how the fandom responded to the controversy)

As for underrated, I say Twist - Really, what did she do to make you guys hate the poor girl, is it the lisp?(Seriously, I love the lisp >_>)

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Overrated: Applejack, damn background pony

Underrated: High Overlord Sombrero and Celestia. I mean, Celestia is the fucking damn ruler and she has less fans than background ponies like Applejack. That's stupid

I don't really think their are really and overrated or under rated characters!

They are all just great but people might not like other ones as much as others.

Overrated: I have to go with Fluttershy. She is slowly getting better but she has way too much attentionUnderrated: Applejack, she does not get that much attention, hopefully we see her get a bit more in the upcoming episode tomorrow
At the school I go to their are a lot of applejack fans so I don't think she is as under rated as you think she it. These guys are really big fans too! I play soccer with them on the school team!
  • Brohoof 1

I have nothing against the masses liking a certain character, as long as it's a character that's important to the show and or the world it's set in. Having said that, I'd have to say Discord. Yay contradiction? I wasn't sucked in just because of his VA. Then again, without more of his history revealed, I'll class him as unimportant :P

It's any and all of the background ponies the fans go nuts on which I would truly class as over-rated. Characters such as Lyra, Bon Bon, DJ-Pon3 etc. Yes, even Derpy or especially.

I'd say that it's probably AJ who is under-rated the most and the whole background pony thing with her is more silly than amusing.

Perhaps Rarity too. She's either loved or hated (rarely a middle-ground) and when hated, hated hard.

Under-appreciated characters? I can name two; Tank and the Phoenix baby that Spike kept. There hasn't been any attention given to those two characters, except from the two episodes they were introduced in.  :(

Overrated (I don't like that word, but it works I guess), would have to be Rainbow Dash. Don't get me wrong, I like Rainbow Dash, but out of the mane six, I feel like she doesn't learn lessons as well as the others. Even Rarity learns lessons better. But with the Wonderbolt Academy episode and later episodes that shows the element of loyalty bearer's, well, loyalty (hopefully), maybe that opinion of mine will change.  ;)

Edited by Magdalene Reads

Overrated: Derpy Hooves. Please, this is a serious question. Why is Derpy so popular? She isn't any special pony, besides an animation error with her eyes.

Underrated: Applejack. A lot of people seem to ignore her when she isn't being shipped. Yeah, she appears less than most of the others of the Mane 6, but she still deserves to be a major character.

• Brohoof 1

Since I have philosophical reservations regarding the prevailing parlance of under- or over-rated, I am going to use different phrases in my answer:

Character I wish was less popular in the fanbase: Trixie.

Character I wish was more popular in the fanbase: Rarity.

• Brohoof 2

Overrated, pretty much all background ponies. Most have not had any real speaking roles nor contributed anything to through the course of events in the show.

Underrated? Possibly secondary one shot characters like Braeburn. Who have atleast actually done something.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Underrated: Roseluck. Seriously, where's the love for Roseluck? Also, Princess Celestia. There's so much more NLR content there is for The Solar Empire.

Overrated: Rainbow Dash, Derpy, and Fluttershy. (All pegasi... huh.) I never understood why people were so obsessed with these ponies, ESPECIALLY Derpy. Not to mention all the STUPID emo art and music people made after the censoring. I absolutley despise "Between Fairytales and Happy Endings" by PrinceWhateverer.

Sorry for that mini rant there.

Edited by ThatSpiritofChaos
  • Brohoof 1

Underrated: Derpy, because I know she is a background character but I haven't seen her get involved in important roles.

Overrated: Applejack. I think the rest of the Mane 6 is more important to most fans, but some just barely recognize Applejack. She is one of the 6 main characters, and well she deserves the same amount of love as Twilight,Fluttershy,Rainbow Dash,Pinkie Pie, and Rarity.

Underrated: Derpy, because I know she is a background character but I haven't seen her get involved in important roles.

Overrated: Applejack. I think the rest of the Mane 6 is more important to most fans, but some just barely recognize Applejack. She is one of the 6 main characters, and well she deserves the same amount of love as Twilight,Fluttershy,Rainbow Dash,Pinkie Pie, and Rarity.

You do mean that in the reverse, right?  And if anything it's Rarity that needs more love, both in the fanbase and in this season.

You do mean that in the reverse, right?  And if anything it's Rarity that needs more love, both in the fanbase and in this season.

Yeah, of course the reverse. :P Well, I do agree with you Rarity does need more love. I don't know why she doesn't get enough love.  hmm.

Yeah, of course the reverse. :P Well, I do agree with you Rarity does need more love. I don't know why she doesn't get enough love.  hmm.

I think a lot of people fail to relate to Rarity. Since the fandom mainly consists of casual males who aren't interested in fashion.

Overrated: Derpy... sorry, I just don't see it.  I know that's not a popular opinion :-\  She's just so everywhere on the forums, ED, etc.  Then again, I am one of the people obsessed with Vinyl/Octavia shipping fics... oh well  :P

Underrated:  I'm not sure.  I wish Celestia and Luna had more screen time on the series.   

Predictable post from me? K

The most underrated pony is Soarin'. First of all, if you combine a legendary status (like Wonderbolt) with a complete and lovable goofball, the result is a character you really admire for pursuing their dreams and grasping their talents while still resisting the obligation to act "cool" in front of fans. Soarin's like "I don't care, I'm just gonna eat pie and be all carefree. Come at me."

Oh, secondly, he is the best-looking stallion by an absolute mile. Just look at him and tell me you wouldn't betray your sexuality to ask him out.

yUZss.png

Edited by Flipturn

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say Luna is overrated, mainly because Celestia is better in my opinion ._.

And Colgate is underrated, she just doesn't have enough fan following I think. She really doesn't get enough attention.

Really? Neither princess really does anything. They both just sit around. It looks more like the country runs itself. My friend and I had a debate about what kind of government equestria has. He thought that it was a voluntary fiefdom, whereas I think its closer to Britain's government, with the royalty being purely symbolic.

I love their aesthetic designs, but Octavia and Vinyl are overrated in relation to their amount of screen time. Trixie for me has to be the most overrated, she's a total dick and has loads of fanboys.

I think Celestia isnt loved anywhere as much as she should be, And I think Granny Smith is completely underrated, that pony is amazing. Pure gold. I also think Photo Finish should get more love for her part in her episode, she was hilarious and had a fabulous outfit

Edited by CrystalRose
  • Brohoof 3

Overrated, Rainbow Dash. I mean, she's cool and all, but she's still overrated. Personally I like Applejack better. Also Derpy and Vinyl Scratch, yes Derpy is fun to find in the background, but's she's not all that great. And Vinyl Scratch is just...

I would defiantly call Princess Celestia underrated. I mean, she deserves more credit than she's given. I think one reason people don't like her is because she that ultimate "good guy", so they make up names like "Trollestia" to make her the opposite.  Personally I think there's more too her than just being a "good guy", and she may be hiding some dark secrets, that's why I like her. 

But most of all Granny Smith! She is awesome (and old!) and deserves more love!