Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When you read a book, do you replace all the characters with ponies?

jackleapp81

For English class, I was assigned to read a story called 'The Cherry Orchard'. I got about halfway through the book before I said "Screw this! This book is so boring, I don't think I can bring myself to finish it."

Because I was so exasperated, I decided to watch some My Little Pony episodes to get my mind off of the book. As I was watching, I thought to myself: The situations these ponies are in wouldn't be half as interesting if they were normal human beings. Then, it dawned on me. I could make the story I'm reading a LOT better if I imagined the characters as ponies!

Turns out, I was right. I breezed trough the book, and I had great fun imagining the characters saying 'everypony' when the word 'everybody' popped up. I had such a blast with it, I spent 3 more hours reading books from some of my favorite book series', like the Hunger Games and The Lord of the Rings, except this time, I substituted the characters for ponies.

Reading is so much fun now, I don't know if I can ever go back to un-ponified versions of my favorite tales. Has anyone else ever done this? If so, for which book?

• Brohoof 7

I can't say that I do that with my literature, at least not all the time. But just recently I have begun to find what characters seem most relatable to Ponies in video games. I was playing Borderlands II and I was like, "Maya is so totally Twilight, I mean she uses powers that are close to magic, and her class mod is a book for corn sake." So I kind of do something similar, but I tend to enjoy my literature too much to always think about ponies when reading.

Ummmm... no, I don't, nor have I ever found any need to. But hey, to each his own, if that helps engage you in whatever you're reading, then that's great, and who am I to say you shouldn't. It is funny though, I just finished Plato's "Republic" the other day, and now I'm thinking of which pony I would replace Socrates with. Hmmm... yup, definitely Twilight, HA!!!!!! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Oh, the irony! ^_^

I was just assigned to read Plato's Republic for my World Literature class! I could totally see Socrates as Twilight, but usually I imagine the characters as closely-resembling their human counterparts. Admittedly, it's hard to imagine this guy as a pony though:

Posted Image

Nah, I like imagining the characters as people (unless they're actually ponies in the book). I like ponies, but I wouldn't want them getting into the books I read, personally. I'd like them to stay seperate. But that's just me, of course. :P

If it's a really boring book and the character's fit in perfectly, then yeah, but not for the whole book. So basically, never.

The only time I did it was when I read Hunger Games just to see what the hype was about, I casted Rainbow as Katniss, Applejack as Peeta, Fluttershy as Prim, Twilight as Haymitch, Pinkie as Effie, Rarity as Cinna (personality wise, Rarity is a much better fit as Effie, but I wanted all of the mane 6 to have a part, Pinkie is pink and Rarity designs clothing), Scootaloo as Rue and random BG ponies as the tributes and everypony else. The book was so much better and interesting that way. After watching the movie, I realized how I could've totally casted Celestia as President Snow.

Once or twice I've pictured characters as ponies, but ponysonas rather than characters actually from the show.

Edited by Rarietty

I find it extremely difficult to replace the likes of Karl Barth, Rudolph Bultmann, and Karl Rahner with ponies. I suppose Twilight could talk about divine command and the Trinitarian Other, or Pinkie Pie stressing an existential interpretation of the resurrection; but it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I tend to replace movie characters with ponies, though. For instance, look at my avatar!

• Brohoof 1

Sounds like a cool idea, I may have to try it.

Heh, I'm reading Harry Potter right now. A magic school full of little unicorns?

I'll try reading the rest with them as ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Can't say i've ever really done this for anybooks. I don't really like reading a whole lot in the first place, I only read at school. Who knows maybe I'll try this sometime.

Not quite. What I do is read books I like, then imagine the characters as ponies later. It gets a little strange at times. For example, I research the Enron scandal quite a bit, so I've been daydreaming about the Mane 6 taking down Enron. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I've never actually done this O.O I've never actually thought of doing that but it's a pretty good idea :P Although, my setwork book for the term is The Lovely Bones, I don't think I'll want to imagine ponies getting raped then brutally murdered XD

I'm actually surprised that not many people on here have done this. I figured I'd be one of many. But yeah, I could see why you might not want ponies featured in that setting. It would be like reading Cupcakes all over again xD

• 8 years later...

Uh... I don't really do it when watching or reading something, but I do have a fun little "game" I play, which I call "Will it Pony?", in which I take a movie or show I like and imagine it in ponified form, and I try to think of which ponies from FIM should play which parts in the show or movie, and if it seems like it would work well, then I say, "yes, it ponies!"  (It's, uh, kinda a parody of Will It from GMM.)