Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

I don't like the thought of alicorn Twilight simply because it would elevate her above her friends. I feel like this could throw off the group dynamic a bit, which is the integral part of the show.

I also generally dislike the idea that a female can magically become a princess (assuming that all alicorns are princesses) since I know that that's what a lot of little girls aspire to be when they grow up. The thing that I really appreciate about MLP is that it shows girls that there are a lot of options out there for women beyond being a mother, princess, or other traditional female roles. I'm sure there's a way for it to be pulled off with excellent writing, but the idea of it is rather off-putting.

• Brohoof 4

I agree that Hasbro is making a stupid move BUT I am disgusted that people are so against it. What happened to the love and tolerant group that was called Bronies. It seemed very obvious (To me anyway) that this would happen to twilight on the first episode of the series.

It has nothing to do with loving or tolerating.... I may not approve that idea but it doesn't mean that I will be blind and I will hate everything they may do in that direction. That idea sounds bad to me and I have my right to have my own opinion on that. But it's their choice and I'm not planning to rage about it or anything, I'm a reasonable man... ;)

And I doubt that they'll do anything like this. This this point in my life I've heard so many speculations and some of them voiced like an obvious truth. Very few of them came true. I mean it's not impossible but I'm quite irritated by hearing and reading topics like that. It's just that everyone starts to panic and speculating without having any major clue... I mean come on...

Stop worrying about the show and start enjoying it more :)

If something goes wrong we always can FIGHT! :angry:

• Brohoof 3

It has nothing to do with loving or tolerating.... I may not approve that idea but it doesn't mean that I will be blind and I will hate everything they may do in that direction. That idea sounds bad to me and I have my right to have my own opinion on that. But it's their choice and I'm not planning to rage about it or anything, I'm a reasonable man... ;)

And I doubt that they'll do anything like this. This this point in my life I've heard so many speculations and some of them voiced like an obvious truth. Very few of them came true. I mean it's not impossible but I'm quite irritated by hearing and reading topics like that. It's just that everyone starts to panic and speculating without having any major clue... I mean come on...

Stop worrying about the show and start enjoying it more :)

If something goes wrong we always can FIGHT! :angry:

At least your a reasonable man (or stallion... whatever works) I don't mind opinions but it seems some people are angry with laser beams shooting from their eyes at the sight of their version of discord destroying something they hold dear... D:

This whole rumor seems like something discord would do.... O.o

I dont see any reason why the fandom should be so upset about it anyway. Sure, call me simple but I like it that way. If she becomes one, then go ahead. If she does, then go ahead. Nothing of value was lost.

I'm just here to enjoy the show.

I know where you're coming from. I'm here because of the show as well. I'm not raging mad about it, and causing arguments in the fandom is the last thing I want.

What I'm really worried about is if Twi becoming an alicorn would totally change her relationship with the rest of the Mane 6. If that were the case, I think something of value would be lost. I like things the way they are. I know Twilight has an important role to fill, but I want her to stay the pony we know and love.

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 2

>.> I just wouldn't like her like that! And love and tolerance? I've heard of it, seen it happen, no one has been attacking anypony here, so.. 

Anyway, everypony is just stating their opinions. And mine is, nurrrrp. I wouldn't want Alicorn Twilight.

Didn'y quote because there was so many! @.@ 

Personally--if she became an Alicorn, an evil one--I would be fine with that. NOW. Why?

A. Because it gives a common enemy/goal for season 4/end of season 3
B. She can learn something from this experience

C. Luna/Celestia could get a bigger role
D. LOTS of other options.

People are getting so upset over Twilight possibly being an Alicorn... so what? You saw how much talent she had as a kid. She is becoming a great student, she's going to surpass Celestia one day--I see no real problem with it. "the student surpasses the master" is a common theme in shows.

No, I just like Twilight the way she is. If it is true, Instead of making Twilight an Alicorn, how about an episode abut Celestia and Luna and their origins?

I'd be okay with it.  I don't really think I'd care either way.  Twilight isn't my favorite character s I don't care what really happens to her.  Although it would make her a bigger Mary Sue than she already is.

"Mary Sue" carries a connotation of wish-fulfillment and is commonly associated with self-insertion (the writing of oneself into a fictional story).

OR

Mary Sue" is judged a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.

Tell me how exactly is she a Mary Sue? :huh: people should stop throwing about term. -_-

As Shift said the target audience is still watching, there's always going to be a happy ending after the drama.

Edited by PonyPowaX1000
  • Brohoof 1

CAUTION: WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!

I'm sorry, but from both a marketing and show writing standpoint, having Twilight become an Alicorn makes absolutely no sense. Why would Hasbro blindly ignore a large percentage (let's face it, the brony fandom isn't a small subculture of the internet anymore) of it's consumer base just to have a handful of Alicorn Twilight toys REPLACING their line-up of Unicorn Twilight toys? There doesn't seems to be any profit gained here unless they plan on keeping the Unicorn Twilight toys around.

Not to mention that the show's story structure would have to be completely altered to adapt to such a huge change to the main character. Many of the conflicts of normal episodes play on the inadequacies of Twilight, such as her lack of training with magic, lack of physical ability and grace, and social awkwardness. The show would eventually develop what I like to call "Dragonball Syndrome", in which the conflicts or antagonists become more and more powerful to match the main character's abilities, until eventually it just becomes absurd.

Let's not forget here, that while Twilight is technically the main character; Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash have been developed enough as characters that throwing them by the wayside would be stupid. But, Twilight's episodes would be more interesting, and would take priority over them, because learning how to wield godlike powers is much more interesting than making dresses, bucking apples, flying, caring for animals, and partying combined.

In the end, having Twilight become an Alicorn would be the show jumping the shark. It's cute in Fan Fiction, cool for a single episode, but a bad idea for a permanent change to the series.

TL;DR:

Alicorn Twilight:

Would make for one interesting episode;

Would ruin the series if permanent.

• Brohoof 5

I think everyone is making a huge deal over a photo... It's like people don't realize that Photoshopping that would be extremely easy.  Easy enough to do it in a relatively short time, upload, and flame war.

Like with any rumour, we have no way of knowing whether or not this is true without official confirmation so I think it's wise not to stress about it until then. It is interesting to see what people's opinions are on this topic though.

• Brohoof 1

Eh. I wouldn't mind if its temporary, but full blown change? Nope.avi. What the buck would they do with the show then. Have Twilight sit around doing paperwork? I think not! :huh:

*insert first scene of S3 with Celestia doing Paperwork*

I do agree that it is a rather... ill-advised move to just arbitrarily turn Twilight into a Princess/Alicorn.  Only thing that would be acceptable is if it is temporary to help augment the story.  That way Hasbro gets their product line and the fans of the show get what they want.  Between all of us here and what we've watched, i'm doubtful that one person here can't say they haven't seen a character in a show get "powered up" to face a threat, then have that power dissipate. 

One thing that I would be extremely ok with is Twilight gaining just wings because she advanced her studies, perfecting the wing spell from the Sonic Rainboom episode.  Give her a reason to work with that spell again and show our fears are unfounded.  Example might be exploring an area outside Equestria where it's virtually bottomless and only a "city in the clouds" can exist, referencing Star Wars for some fan related humor.  

Think the big problem with Twilight turning into an Alicorn is the information surrounding that species/pony which approaches a near godlike state.  They even might be considered demi-gods in Equestria, so who's to say really.  

I will laugh my flank off if it turns out that image from Europe was fake and in the S3 two parter finale they have a grand scene with Derpy in it.    

GOD no. The day Twilight Sparkle becomes an Alicorn is the day the show gets butchered alive. Why would anyone think this is a good idea? If Hasbro seriously thinks they can sell more toys with this, they're out of their minds.

i know right? if twilight becomes an alicorn, the show will go downhill, and many bronies wlll get angry, then the show will lose many fans, that it will be cancelled.

Like with any rumour, we have no way of knowing whether or not this is true without official confirmation so I think it's wise not to stress about it until then. It is interesting to see what people's opinions are on this topic though.

Lets send this to Snopes and let the professionals sort this one out.  So someone send it to them quick before the flame war ensues.

CAUTION: WALL OF TEXT INCOMING!

TL;DR:

Alicorn Twilight:

Would make for one interesting episode;

Would ruin the series if permanent.

But if it was a whole season--IE: 

Unicorn Twilight becomes Alicorn in S3 E. Last--and all of Season 4 is to getting her back, how would that be bad? Everyone mentions that the show is going down hill, that the show loses depth, the show isn't as "adult" or have as many mature themes. How is that bad? I mean--I understand that Celestia is an Alicorn, people suggest that Nightmare Moon/Luna is an Alicorn and that Twilight would become Nightmare Moon--but Twilight is honestly not ready for that. Maybe when she's older. If anything she'd be more likely to become corrupt and evil, and therefore that would be a great season. Twilight being the main antagonist, even if it's JUST for two or three episodes like the Discord episodes. 

Personally, I'd like it if they made Twilight an Alicorn because I think they could let her do a few things with it--as a whole, I agree. Not for the rest of the series, unless they found something interesting about it that they could do--but otherwise. It could be good for a few episodes (3-4 maybe one season)

I've already posted a couple rants on this subject, and I will do so once again here. The ONLY thing that changes with Twilight becoming an Alicorn is the fact that she will have wings. That's IT, and if anypony here has paid attention to her personality in the show they'd see that. She is the absolute last pony in the entire show that would forsake her friends for power. There have been NUMEROUS instances in all three seasons of this, and I can recount most of them, and I think through the course of responding to this particular subject matter that I have.

First off, in the Very first Episode, (I count two-parters as one episode) After she had discovered her friends after having their help to defeat Nightmare Moon Twilight Refused to go back to Canterlot to live with you teacher, mentor, and the Ruler of the entire country to stay with her friends. The very next episode in Ticket master, Twilight willingly returned her own invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala, the most prestigious event in all of Equestria because she only had one other ticket to take one friend and she couldn't take one without feeling bad for the others. This is again, the same Twilight to put her own reputation at risk to help Princess Luna, (Which remember, is also an Alicorn,) whom at the time of Lunar Eclipsed was the most feared and Disliked Pony in Equestria, gain more positive publicity and helped her find a way to make friends. This is the same Twilight that refused to even challenge Trixie in the first season because she was afraid of losing her friends, and also the same Twilight who remained Faithful to all of her friends when every single pony, including Rainbow Dash(Element of Loyalty), Princess Celestia, and her own brother turned their backs on her at the Royal wedding because she was the only pony that saw through Chrysalis's disguise.

Finally Most recently, she gave up the one thingthat Princess Celestia specifically told her she had to do in order to protect her friends, and willingly as far as she had known at the time, failed the most important test that Princess Celestia had ever given her, because she was worried about her friends, her brother, and the entire empire. So I will state this fact again. Unless the Writers COMPLETELY rewrite Twilight's personality when they make her an Alicorn, Nothing in the show at all will change other than the fact that Twilight will have wings. The very nature of Twilight's design won't let anything else happen, and so far, in my honest opinion, season three has had the MOST accurate renditions of everypony's personality so far.

On the topic of Alicorns being God-like, what actual cannon evidence is there to support this? Not Fannon, cannon. If anything there has been vastly more evidence showing us the exact Opposite. Princess Celestia has been defeated Twice in the series, Once by Nightmare Moon in the first Episode, and Once by Chrysalis in A Royal Wedding, and was completely outsmarted by Disqord, and while it can be said that Disqord is the most powerful being of magic in Celestia, it still doesn't change the point that is made that he still beat Celestia. Princess Luna as Nightmare Moon has been defeated twice, Once by Celestia before the series has taken place, and once by Twilight and her friends using the Elements of Harmony. Finally, Princess Cadence, albeit the weakest of the three, appeared to have been easily defeated by Chrysalis prior to A Royal wedding, and while she wasn't technically defeated, she did falter. Granted it was after several days of what can only be described as hell, but here's a news flash for you, Shining Armor was capable of doing the exact same thing to protect Canterlot from the Changelings, and he didn't even have to continuously support the barrier, only occasionally strengthen it. So the argument that Alicorns are god-like is null and void anymore. Seriously, they are anything but overpowered.

Bringing this to the conclusion and back full circle again, Regardless of whether the rumor is true or not shouldn't matter. AS a user above me has mentioned, the entire concept of the brony community was founded on love and toleration, and seriously right now, I see little to no toleration towards the very people who are responsible for bringing us together. I see so many users having so little faith in the writers to be able to come up with things to make everything they do work that the term Brony I feel is starting to lose the value that it used to hold. Now I understand that not all changes are good, but what everypony else here needs to realize is the exact opposite. Not every change that is going to be made is going to result in something bad as well. Yet very few are waiting to see how anything would be handle if Twilight became an Alicorn and are instantly turning their backs against the writers at the mere mention of it. As a story writer myself, I actually find that quite appalling that others are becoming so strict with their demands for the show that they start criticizing the writers for writing the story that they planned. We have to remember, this is their story, not ours, and whatever they decide to do with Twilight has my full fledge support. The absolute only way I could even agree on any of the negativity of this reaction so far is if the change completely reworks Twilight's personality in the span of a day, which any writer of any experience will tell you is a big no no. The very fact that these are professional writers gives me enough faith to say in certainty that Nothing extreme is going to happen when Twilight becomes an Alicorn if she even does.

• Brohoof 5

I honestly do not understand why everyone's jimmies are being rustled so hard over the fact that Twilight COULD become an Alicorn Princess

To be honest, I kind of saw it coming since day one and quite frankly... I welcome it

everyone here seems to think that Hasbro is going to screw the fuck up big time, for those of you who do, think of it this way, HAS Hasbro EVER screwed up on an episode, quality-wise?

I honestly don't think so

Have they just thrown in a new character or done something for no real reason?

I can't say I have seen it happening thus far

so my biggest question is, what is the big deal here? :huh:

I am going to give this a shot because honestly, how bad can it be?

Edited by ~ds8~
  • Brohoof 2

I have to say no. It wouldn't ruin the show for me, but it would be weird if Twilight became and Alicorn. Also how would she become and alicorn to begin with. Unless Celestia has powers to create alicorns(Which she probably does) then how is Twilight even going to become one.

Anyways, I would still love the show, but it wouldn't be the same. And the ratio would be freaking wrong, there would be two earth ponies, two pegasi, a unicorn and an alicorn. It just wouldn't be right. Those are why I say no, not because I think Twilight would leave her friends or anything, because I doubt she ever would.

I've already posted a couple rants on this subject, and I will do so once again here. The ONLY thing that changes with Twilight becoming an Alicorn is the fact that she will have wings. That's IT, and if anypony here has paid attention to her personality in the show they'd see that. She is the absolute last pony in the entire show that would forsake her friends for power. There have been NUMEROUS instances in all three seasons of this, and I can recount most of them, and I think through the course of responding to this particular subject matter that I have.

First off, in the Very first Episode, (I count two-parters as one episode) After she had discovered her friends after having their help to defeat Nightmare Moon Twilight Refused to go back to Canterlot to live with you teacher, mentor, and the Ruler of the entire country to stay with her friends. The very next episode in Ticket master, Twilight willingly returned her own invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala, the most prestigious event in all of Equestria because she only had one other ticket to take one friend and she couldn't take one without feeling bad for the others. This is again, the same Twilight to put her own reputation at risk to help Princess Luna, (Which remember, is also an Alicorn,) whom at the time of Lunar Eclipsed was the most feared and Disliked Pony in Equestria, gain more positive publicity and helped her find a way to make friends. This is the same Twilight that refused to even challenge Trixie in the first season because she was afraid of losing her friends, and also the same Twilight who remained Faithful to all of her friends when every single pony, including Rainbow Dash(Element of Loyalty), Princess Celestia, and her own brother turned their backs on her at the Royal wedding because she was the only pony that saw through Chrysalis's disguise.

Finally Most recently, she gave up the one thingthat Princess Celestia specifically told her she had to do in order to protect her friends, and willingly as far as she had known at the time, failed the most important test that Princess Celestia had ever given her, because she was worried about her friends, her brother, and the entire empire. So I will state this fact again. Unless the Writers COMPLETELY rewrite Twilight's personality when they make her an Alicorn, Nothing in the show at all will change other than the fact that Twilight will have wings. The very nature of Twilight's design won't let anything else happen, and so far, in my honest opinion, season three has had the MOST accurate renditions of everypony's personality so far.

On the topic of Alicorns being God-like, what actual cannon evidence is there to support this? Not Fannon, cannon. If anything there has been vastly more evidence showing us the exact Opposite. Princess Celestia has been defeated Twice in the series, Once by Nightmare Moon in the first Episode, and Once by Chrysalis in A Royal Wedding, and was completely outsmarted by Disqord, and while it can be said that Disqord is the most powerful being of magic in Celestia, it still doesn't change the point that is made that he still beat Celestia. Princess Luna as Nightmare Moon has been defeated twice, Once by Celestia before the series has taken place, and once by Twilight and her friends using the Elements of Harmony. Finally, Princess Cadence, albeit the weakest of the three, appeared to have been easily defeated by Chrysalis prior to A Royal wedding, and while she wasn't technically defeated, she did falter. Granted it was after several days of what can only be described as hell, but here's a news flash for you, Shining Armor was capable of doing the exact same thing to protect Canterlot from the Changelings, and he didn't even have to continuously support the barrier, only occasionally strengthen it. So the argument that Alicorns are god-like is null and void anymore. Seriously, they are anything but overpowered.

Bringing this to the conclusion and back full circle again, Regardless of whether the rumor is true or not shouldn't matter. AS a user above me has mentioned, the entire concept of the brony community was founded on love and toleration, and seriously right now, I see little to no toleration towards the very people who are responsible for bringing us together. I see so many users having so little faith in the writers to be able to come up with things to make everything they do work that the term Brony I feel is starting to lose the value that it used to hold. Now I understand that not all changes are good, but what everypony else here needs to realize is the exact opposite. Not every change that is going to be made is going to result in something bad as well. Yet very few are waiting to see how anything would be handle if Twilight became an Alicorn and are instantly turning their backs against the writers at the mere mention of it. As a story writer myself, I actually find that quite appalling that others are becoming so strict with their demands for the show that they start criticizing the writers for writing the story that they planned. We have to remember, this is their story, not ours, and whatever they decide to do with Twilight has my full fledge support. The absolute only way I could even agree on any of the negativity of this reaction so far is if the change completely reworks Twilight's personality in the span of a day, which any writer of any experience will tell you is a big no no. The very fact that these are professional writers gives me enough faith to say in certainty that Nothing extreme is going to happen when Twilight becomes an Alicorn if she even does.

Great rant. Let me try to sum it up for the tl;dr crowd... When Twilight has a choice between her friends or more power, she chooses her friends every time. No way she's leaving them whether she becomes an alicorn or not. Alicorns have also been shown repeatedly to be only moderately more powerful than regular unicorns of significant magical skill, and the mane 6 wielding the elements of harmony are the highest power shown thus far, so she won't be overpowered. Just chill, and trust our writers to continue writing a great show either way.

Sound about right, Ice Storm? :)

Given that every pony worships Celestia and Luna, it's pretty safe to assume they're the most powerful. Celestia was never directly stated to have been defeated by Nightmare Moon in the first episode, though it was implied. Nightmare Moon was only ever defeated by the Elements of Harmony and Celestia; another alicorn. Discord managed to outwit Celestia simply because he is spirit of disharmony. Additionally, Chrysalis only managed to overpower Celestia because she was powered up by Cadence and Shining Amror's love. Even then, she expressed surprise, as she was probably not 100% sure she could defeat Celestia.

So really, the argument that they are godlike (though I would say demi-godlike would be more accurate) isn't null and void, as the only instance in which an Alicorn was defeated with "no strings attached" was when Chrysalis defeated Cadence, which was never explicitly explained. It's also implied that while powerful, Luna and Cadence are noticably less powerful than Celestia.

Personally, I'd like it if they made Twilight an Alicorn because I think they could let her do a few things with it--as a whole, I agree. Not for the rest of the series, unless they found something interesting about it that they could do--but otherwise. It could be good for a few episodes (3-4 maybe one season)

Well, corruption has sort of been a running theme of Season 3, what with Twilight using hatred magic in the opener to the extent that the crystal heart saw her as a threat, and how the Alicorn Amulet made Trixie evil. Having Twilight succumb to a dark force and become an antagonist for the finale would be an interesting twist. Or even Twilight having to give up her friends to become an Alicorn, with the moral being choosing friends over power/desires.

But like I said before, having Twilight become an Alicorn permanently would probably ruin the dynamic of the show. No one would want to watch an episode about dress making when they could be watching one about learning to master demi-godlike power. :/

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 4

• 2 weeks later...

NOOOOOO! It can' t be true! She' s so nice now! It seems that the money r more important than a good film 4 them. I think if those spoilers become true we' ll have the huge protests of bronies & pegasis... DREADFUL. FRIGHTENING. Actually there's no words to describe it.

http://youtu.be/mPk_P11GlW8

Nope. 

It wouldn't fit Twilight. She's more of a calm unicorn mare. It would be too weird, even if she would look badass I still prefer the nice adorable unicorn Twiley. it wouldn't make any sense.

So hell no.

TL;DR: Regular Twi > Any other Twi

Edited by Double D
  • Brohoof 1

I totally want alicorn Twi! She's the element of Magic for goodness sakes! She's supposed to be crazy over powered! I mean, all the things you can do with magic...

They should have an episode where she sets the sun.

Or maybe I'm just a bit too eager to see dictator Twi, who killed her mentors and absorbed her friend's souls to gain their Elemental powers...

tumblr_mdixht5gwi1r19504o1_500.png

I for one, welcome our new scientific overlord.

Played straight - that Alicorns are superior and therefore Twilight becomes one in some process of advancing - this is a terrible idea. It would portray the concept that right makes might and the only way forward is amass power.

One the other hand, because it's a terrible idea, it'd make a great anti-moral for an episode. She might wrongly decide that to deal with a situation, she needs to "ascend" and become stronger. She might be terrified at seeing Celestia training another student and feel the need to prove herself better to avoid losing her special status. She could see transforming herself physically as akin to transforming herself spiritually and use magic as a (relatively) quick and easy road to self-betterment. There could even be a plot where Celestia falls off the very high pedestal that Twilight mentally keeps her on and Twilight feels that Equestria needs a replacement and that the replacement must necessarily be an Alicorn.

In other words, I think there's a lot of bad reasons Twilight might turn herself into an Alicorn, but I don't really see any good ones.

• Brohoof 2