Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Best movie of 2012?

Brook

What is your favorite movie of 2012?  

20 users have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite movie of 2012?

• Amour
    • Argo
    • The Amazing Spider-Man
    • Marvel's The Avengers
    • Beasts of the Southern Wild
    • Brave
    • Chronicle
    • Disneynature's Chimpanzee
    • The Dark Knight Rises
    • Django Unchained
    • End of Watch
    • Flight
    • Frankenweenie
    • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    • The Hunger Games
    • The Impossible
    • Les Misérables
    • Life of Pi
    • Lincoln
    • Looper
    • Paranorman
    • Prometheus
    • Rise of the Guardians
    • Silver Linings Playbook
    • Skyfall
    • Snow White and the Huntsman
    • Ted
    • The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 2
    • Wreck-It Ralph
    • Zero Dark Thirty
    • (other, and do explain in the thread, please.)

Well, it's almost the end of the year, and it's time to decide what was the best movie you've seen. Now, before I write what I want to write, (and so mods don't lock this thread for being blog-oriented), if you don't want to read my experiences, answer me this in the thread: What was the best movie you've seen this year?

Alright, so, I'll number the movies I've seen for better tracking (by order of which I saw them):

1) 21 Jump Street

2) Madagascar 3

3) The Dictator

4) That's My Boy

5) Ted 

6) Wreck-It Ralph

And now, spoiler free, my experiences with the movies:

1) 21 Jump Street - Okay, so from my previous experiences with Jona Hill in Superbad, I didn't think much positive of this movie before watching it, but boy was I wrong to think like that. It was hilarious, much better than Superbad, and frankley one of the best comedies I've seen. It had some great moments, it made me laugh, and it was a great movie. One more thing to note on this, it was a comedy through-and-through, and it didn't turn full-on action movie half-way, which seemed to have become a trend ever since Kickass, I greatly appreciated that, and it got a thumbs-up from my side.

2) Madagascar 3 - I've been a fan of Madagascar ever since the first movie, the first is still my favourite classic to this day (I was 6 or 7 when I first saw it), and when I saw the trailer for the 3rd movie, I was really excited. And then when I watched it, it blew me away; Greatly because of the charcaters, largely because of the visual effects, and somewhat because of nostalgia. Every single character in the movie was memerable and interesting. The visual effects were downright amazing, honestly better than I've ever seen up until that movie, and obviously nostalgia because I loved and still love the series :P

It was a great addition, and a wonderful closure to the series.

3) The Dictator - Now, I know Sasha Bron Cohen, I've seen his work and I loved Borat, and I knew he does best when he does reallity. Sadly, The Dictator was completely direceted, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but a little disappointing. However, it was still a great movie, and I really liked it, I just felt like it wasn't his best.

4) That's My Boy - Ahhh, Adam Sandler, how you make me proud to be Jewish. No really, it was a good movie, and the fact that Andy Semberg had a main role was really a good starting point. It was hilarious, but then agian most Adam Sandler movies have that wacky sense to them, like anything could happen at any given moment, and Adam is waiting to just jump on it. So basically, it's my kind of humor. Suprisingly though, it had some very strong emotional moments, which I did not expect, and it added a lot to the plot. Surely, not his best movie, but a funny one nonetheless.

5) Ted - Okay so, I'm not a big fan of Family Guy, I am however, a big fan of American Dad, which is an important distinction to make here; American Dad is a lot more wackier than Family Guy, and it seems that Seth McFarlane really shines in wack comedies, more so than the everyday comedy (not that Family doesn't have wacky moments, but American Dad is more aimed towards it). So with a plot such as a magical Teddy Bear becoming some sort-of washed out 30-something guy, it really makes it easier for Seth to work on. And it shows, it was overall a really good and funny movie, and I hope that guy makes more movies in the future.

6) Wreck-It Ralph - So this is the reason I started this thread in the first place, to talk about Wreck-It Ralph. I saw it two days ago, and holy shit was it amazing. First off, as most of you, no, all of you know, it's about video game characters, and that gains huge affection from me, as it does with everybody else. There wasn't one moment in the movie that I didn't like, every single second of that movie was filled with incredibleness that would overwhelm a floating 12 legged dinosaur with banana-shooting laser eyelashes. Sorry where was I? oh, the plot; Okay so I'm not going to spoil anything, but it might reveal something so I'm putting it in a spoiler tag:

For lack of a better way to phrase it, I'm going to write what I thought when I saw the movie; About halfway through I thought to myself "There's no way they'll close all of the plot points by the end, there's not enough movie left for that", and then the ending closed everything in the best way possible, and it did what I thought it couldn't do, closure, wondreful, wonderful closure. I just can't believe this movie, I've never seen such a great movie before, I swear to god I have never seen such detail and story and characters and voice-acting and animation and music and atmosphere and releveance and retro-ness and AHHH THIS MOVIE WAS SO GOOD I HAVE TO WATCH IT AGIAN GAHHH

It's my new favourite movie, (freakishly large) hands down. Best movie of 2012, and the best movie I've seen, in my opinion.

So, those are all the movies I've seen, and once agian, what was the best movie of 2012?

Edited by Brook
  • Brohoof 6

Marvel's Avengers.

The only problem I had with this movie was that they didn't use the founder Avengers. The rest was pure awesome.

Other then that, Wreck it Ralph was awesome too.

• Brohoof 2

I liked the Dark Knight Rises.  It was great end to a great trilogy.  It also didn't hurt to have Anne Hathaway play Catwoman.   :wub:

Other than that, Lincoln was really good.  

• Brohoof 1

Definitely 21 Jump Street. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill act really well together. This movie was HILARIOUS, and replaced The Hangover as my funniest movie of all time.

Avengers was good, too. Liked it better than Dark Night Rises.

• Brohoof 1

I have to go with The Avengers. Ever since Nick Fury's cameo at the end of Iron Man I've been wanting to see this movie and then at the end of Captain America they unveiled the trailer for The Avengers this movie was all I could think about. Then about a month before the movie came out I started to have my doubts the movie could live up to the hype then it was May 4th I went to the theater sat down then the movie started. And the movie blew my mind it was incredible the end battle was so exiting! BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

Definitely 21 Jump Street. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill act really well together. This movie was HILARIOUS, and replaced The Hangover as my funniest movie of all time.

Avengers was good, too. Liked it better than Dark Night Rises.

If you like 21st jump street watch "Get him to the Greek". It's with Jonah Hill and Russel Brand and totally awesome :wub:

My favorites this year are 21st Jump Street, The Dark Night Rises and the Avengers :)

The Expendables 2. Over-the-top gore and violence? Yep. Stupid one-liners? Check. 1 hour and (approximately) 45 minutes of pure awesome? You bet.

• Brohoof 3

The only 3 movies I saw this year were The Avengers, Battleship, and Wreck-It Ralph. While mah favorite of the 3 is Battleship, it certainly ain't the best one. IMO, the best was Avengers from a critical standpoint, although Wreck-It Ralph is also very very high up there, both on the critical level and the cater-to-mah-liking level (A certain Asian-looking racer girl-glitch has something to do with this ;)).

• Brohoof 1

Anyone see Cloud Atlas? I thought it was amazing, it definitely deserves to considered one of the best movies this year. I also saw Argo, which was also very good. Ted actually blew me away. It stayed funny throughout the entire movie, which is kind of a problem with a lot of movies. 

• Brohoof 1

Wreck-it-Ralph was flippin' awesome. I didn't like the Dictator very much. Ted was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. That movie was gold.

Oh, also... How come nobody mentioned The Hunger Games?

That movie was totally freaken sweet life. You had action, romance, cool people dressed up in cool clothes, technology, friendship, and even a freaken awesome beard. That movie is definitely my favorite movie of 2012.

• Brohoof 1

Prometheus, and although it's not a masterpiece of the sci-fi genre. The different elements that accompany it just made for one awesome overall experience. Also, The Avengers but...

oh that is way to easy for me ;3
The Hobbit is the best movie in 11 years, according to me ^-^

i saw the 3D one with high frame rate :D
at midnight as well, worth the low-focus school day after the movie :3

• Brohoof 2

By far... The Dark Knight Rises... I mean it was dramatic, had action, was freaking amazing and everything! I loved it to death... Wait.. bad choice of words cuz all those people died. D: RIP.

Life of Pi. I saw it on opening night, on November 21.

No I didn't read the book. I also made a point of avoiding reading up on the storyline synopsis, all I needed to know was that it was about a guy stranded on a lifeboat with a tiger, and that my ma had been anticipating seeing it. We both finally got the chance to use up those ticket vouchers.

Edited by GuillermoGage

No love for Looper? Bah  :P

But jokes aside, I'd give the nod to The Expendables 2. Yes, I loved the Avengers (and Batman) but this film was so much fun to watch. Though MiB 3 is a close second. 

Wow, I went and say a lot of movies this year, and there were some good ones. 

So here's my list of some of the best movies of the year: 

1) Dark Knight Rises - An epic conclusion to the dark knight trilogy. This just blew my mind when I saw it. Bane was a great villain too. 

2) Avengers - This is the best Marvel movie I've seen. It has a compelling story, the humor was hilarious, and the action was enjoyable. I also liked Loki as the villain. 

3) Life of Pi - An emotional story that uses themes of religion as the movie plays. It was a very emotional film too. 

4) Wreck it Ralph - Disney actually topped off Pixar this year. I loved the cameos, the story was interesting, it was fun, and the humor was witty. By the way, this was the best video game film of all time.

5) The Expendables 2 - This movie is one of those fun, over-the-top, for "shits and giggles" types of films. It had plenty of corny one liners, blood and gore, outrageous action, guns everywhere, punching, EXPLOSIONS, and.... well, manly stuff. This movie was dumb, but it was dumb in a good way. 

And since I feel like it, I'm gonna list some movies that I looked forward to, but then were disappointing. 

1) The Hobbit - I was looking foward to this movie. After seeing all 3 of the Lord of the Ring movies, I was excited to hear that Peter Jackson would direct a movie of the Hobbit. So once the reviews came in on the Boston Globe, I wanted to see what the critics thought of it first before seeing it. I was expecting critical phrase of the movie. What I saw was a 2 and a half stars on the review. I thought to myself, maybe the movie could still be good. Boy was I wrong. I was disappointed by this movie a lot. A LOT. The movie got nowhere, it was WAY too slow, and it was an overall meh experience. The best part however, was with Golem. I don't want to give any spoilers of what happened, so I'll let some people see it first. Also, why are they making 3 hobbit movies? I read the book and one movie could have been good enough. If it was one movie, I could have put this on the best movies of the year. But the STUDIOS wanted 3 movies because it's all about the MONEY. 

2) Brave - Come on Pixar. I expect better from you than this. This movie was barley funny, the movie got boring quickly, the story was pretty dull, and the characters don't seem lovable to me compared to their previous films. Has Pixar reached the end of it's "Golden Days"? I hope not. 

And that is it.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

It may be slightly biased being the most recent 2012 film I've seen, but I thought The Hobbit was excellent! One of those movies where you buy popcorn and forget to eat it because you get so focused on the movie. Made for a nice snack afterwards :P  

I think the best movie this year...I think it came out this year... Was Battleship! OMFG THAT MOVIE WAS AWESOME! The same people that did the grahpic editing for Transformers did the Aliens! So it looked so F-ing real!!!!!

The best part however, was with Golem.

This is Gollum:

Gollum.PNG

And this is a Golem:

golem.jpg

Learn the difference, kids.

Anyway, while the decision to stretch The Hobbit into three movies was undoubtedly partly about the money, I think Peter Jackson also did this so he would not have to leave a single thing out of the movie. Even though The Lord of the Rings trilogy's films were each 3+ hours long, they still had to leave important stuff out of the movie. Since Jackson is stretching out one book into three movies, he won't have to remove one single tiny detail.

• Brohoof 4

Anyway, while the decision to stretch The Hobbit into three movies was undoubtedly partly about the money, I think Peter Jackson also did this so he would not have to leave a single thing out of the movie. Even though The Lord of the Rings trilogy's films were each 3+ hours long, they still had to leave important stuff out of the movie. Since Jackson is stretching out one book into three movies, he won't have to remove one single tiny detail.

You're kidding, right? This was never a cash grab in the first place, something Peter Jackson was never behind. The decision to make it three movies was made solely by him, not by Warner Bros. He has already removed a few details, including songs, but he's given back to them just like Lord of the Rings. You can have your judgments on the Hobbit, just don't go accusing it of being a scheme for making money.

Life of Pi wins for me, no competition really, it completely blows all other movies out of the park for me. It was emotional, had an amazing story, awesome acting, and INCREDIBLE VISUALS, by far the best movie ever made in terms of visuals and effects, and unlike Avatar, it doesn't suck! Also Richard Parker is adorable <3. Btw think about how amazing it is that Pi's actor did practically all his scenes by himself since RIchard Parker was animated, that is some serious skills!

Aside from that, there were some other good movies like Lincoln, Argo, Dark KNight Rises, and Wreck it Ralph. Avenger was all right, but is a bit over hyped IMO (Actually so is TDKR). Of course I need to see the hobbit but I already know it isn't gonna be LOTR quality due to the obvious money obsession by making ONE book into a trilogy. Still gonna watch it though :P

Edited by weegeez

I'm surprised only one other person mentioned The Hunger Games.

But I didn't watch a lot of movies this year.  All were the simple movies.  I'll name the ones I liked.

The Hunger Games

Breaking Dawn (I don't even like Twilight that much)

Frankinweenie! (so adorable.  I almost cried since I lost my kitten a few months before)

i watch older films most the time 80's 70's

but there few i watch from 2012

good

The Avengers (2012)
 The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
 The Expendables 2 (2012)
 Ruby Sparks (2012)

bad

Chernobyl Diaries (2012)
 ATM (2012)