Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you find other bronies at your school? What are the odds I'd find any?

Dashmagic

I've just been wondering. I know that the brony population is huge, but I don't know how huge. I hear stories about how someone "came out" as a brony and all of a sudden others did too, but I feel that's not really likely.

Anyways, I'm 16, which apparently accounts for almost the highest percentage of bronies. I just want to know the odds of there actually being some others at my school. My high school has around 1000 people, so I figure there might be.

So have any of you just found or figured out that someone else is a brony? Whether you know them or they're just an acquaintance, doesn't matter.

And if so, how did you do it? I feel like maybe just gauging someone's reaction to an obscure reference might be the way to go, such as "Yeah, that one's pretty sweet. Probably 20% cooler than that one."

Just looking for some advice or some stories, thanks!
  • Brohoof 1

Well I know atleast 1 girl at my school likes MLP. However on the contrary I know a group of people who don't like the show who are guys.

I have not met a brony though at my school, much less introduced myself to one, I'm still a closet brony and for now I'm staying that way, so that probably contributes to it.

I suppose anythings possible, I personally wouldn't just ye'll it out though, doesn't seem like it'd be very productive.

I'd personally only really consider telling close friends, but thats just me.

Edited by Zygen

I had a bit of an easy time, a few of my friends were bronies, and one of them was the one who finally convinced me to watch the show (cue transformation from mild hater to avid brony over the course of a weekend).

Honestly, I find one of the best ways to find people of a particular fandom is come in wearing a related t-shirt. If you are worried about flak from haters, make the reference a little more obscure than a literal pony, a well known phrase from the show will suffice, say, 20% cooler or similar. 99% of bronies will instantly get that reference while non-bronies will likely have no idea.  For instance, when I go places I often wear my league of legends "solomid" tshirt (which if you don't know the game well, is both a team and a position in the game) or a picture of fiddlesticks, one of the more memorable characters from the game. People not in the know ask me about the t-shirt and I can just say "Oh its a video game team" or "Oh, its a video game character" but once in a while I have someone approach me and say "You must play league of legends right?"

tl:dr - Try buying and wearing a reference T-shirt, allows one to state to other bronies your bronyhood without revealing anything to anyone else. Injokes are OP

Edited by Quiles

Well I know atleast 1 girl at my school likes MLP. However on the contrary I know a group of people who don't like the show who are guys.

I have not met a brony though at my school, much less introduced myself to one, I'm still a closet brony and for now I'm staying that way, so that probably contributes to it.

I suppose anythings possible, I personally wouldn't just ye'll it out though, doesn't seem like it'd be very productive.

I'd personally only really consider telling close friends, but thats just me.

Wow haha that's honestly basically exactly my situation. Except I know no one. I don't really plan on telling anyone unless I'm sure. Thanks for the reply.

• Brohoof 1

I had a bit of an easy time, a few of my friends were bronies, and one of them was the one who finally convinced me to watch the show (cue transformation from mild hater to avid brony over the course of a weekend).

Honestly, I find one of the best ways to find people of a particular fandom is come in wearing a related t-shirt. If you are worried about flak from haters, make the reference a little more obscure than a literal pony, a well known phrase from the show will suffice, say, 20% cooler or similar. 99% of bronies will instantly get that reference while non-bronies will likely have no idea.  For instance, when I go places I often wear my league of legends "solomid" tshirt (which if you don't know the game well, is both a team and a position in the game) or a picture of fiddlesticks, one of the more memorable characters from the game. People not in the know ask me about the t-shirt and I can just say "Oh its a video game team" or "Oh, its a video game character" but once in a while I have someone approach me and say "You must play league of legends right?"

tl:dr - Try buying and wearing a reference T-shirt, allows one to state to other bronies your bronyhood without revealing anything to anyone else. Injokes are OP

I see what you're saying. I'm sure that would work. Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for some more obscure merch. Something that doesn't give it away to normal people. Thanks a ton for the response!

Usually whenever I wear a pony shirt to school, someone compliments the shirt or brohoofs me. Yet there are some people who don't even know what bronies are.

Yeah I've mentioned it in conversation before (Not giving anything away), and sometimes people just have no idea what it is. Other times they get right in and give me their opinion, normally "Yeah I think that's pretty stupid". Alright, fine, it's more like "That's dumb as hell".

I know two bronies at my college! :D I met one online at another forum, and met him irl when the semester started. Today we remain really good friends. I met another out of random at the library, because he noticed my MLP lanyard. We talk several times, especially about ponies obv. xD 

So far two, but I look forward to meeting more even though the area where I live is small. xD 

• Brohoof 1

I see what you're saying. I'm sure that would work. Thanks, I'll be on the lookout for some more obscure merch. Something that doesn't give it away to normal people. Thanks a ton for the response!

Try Ocular proof - they specifically describe themselves as more subtle brony t-shirts and accesories http://ocularproof.spreadshirt.com/

Also welovefine.com, they have more than a few shirts that are phrases from the show. TBH there are tens of sites out there that do a variety of different shirts, so just look for one that you like the look of. Personally I really give no fucks about who knows, so I bought one with twilight with a lab coat on it, because SCIENCE.

• Brohoof 1

I know one person that likes MLP, he's my friend. My other friend used to like it but doesn't anymore. Anyway I think my friend knows some other people that like the show. I've never actually had to look for anyone.

Try Ocular proof - they specifically describe themselves as more subtle brony t-shirts and accesories http://ocularproof.spreadshirt.com/

Also welovefine.com, they have more than a few shirts that are phrases from the show. TBH there are tens of sites out there that do a variety of different shirts, so just look for one that you like the look of. Personally I really give no fucks about who knows, so I bought one with twilight with a lab coat on it, because SCIENCE.

Hey wow thanks for that link! The prices actually are really good too, I'll probably get one. I'm liking the one on the first page that says "New Lunar Republic". Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

Hey wow thanks for that link! The prices actually are really good too, I'll probably get one. I'm liking the one on the first page that says "New Lunar Republic". Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

No worries. its always nice to have some people at school to chat about the show with and hang out with not online. Hopefully you will find some!

Something that doesn't give it away to normal people

Normal people? You just broke my heart man.

And about your question, according to my sister she knows one girl in her grade (12th, I'm in 8th) who "watches MLP on a daily basis" and other than that, I'm surrounded by closed minded stoners every day that would make my life miserable if they knew I was a brony. Good thing I loudly talked about ponies to some people in my science class in attempt to convert some others. *facehoove* i don't have any shirts or merchandise, but once I move to another school (I really don't like the people in my school, but it's 2013 so I doubt any other schools have better kids)  I think I'll try something like ocularproof, and hopefully not get shot.

• Brohoof 1

The city I live in is so overpopulated, that they built 2 highschools. anyway, I know of one at the other highschool who is a Brony. However, I have yet to meet any at mine. But that doesn't mean there's none at your school. Just, when you're at lunch or somewhere, ask your friends if they've ever watched MLP, and then go from there.

I go to a school full of army kids, Wore an MLP shirt and turns out I met 15 bronies/pegasisters 

And I go to a small school of 250 highschoolers

So if your school is that big you have a very good chance of meeting more than a few bronies :)

• Brohoof 2

Well good for you guys, if I blew my cover I'd be signing my death sentence. Actually I don't even like that bronydom is spreading in my country cause...there are people who shouldn't really become bronies cause they just use it for trolling or because they want to copy the style of their fav LP-er or something.

As for advice, I'd probably try to get a t-shirt with the Lunar whatever logo on it. Not all bronies know about that but there's even a smaller chance for you to get picked on for it, because non-bronies will definitely have no idea about it.

for me at a school of about 2000-3000, there are a whopping 15 bronies at school, 2 have went on and graduated. I'm not alone! :D sadly, I am one of the few that partakes in the fandom and discusses it with others.

Plus I am very open about my Bronyhood, I wear my mane 6 belt to school everyday, have buttons on my lanyard and satchel, wears a wristband with RD on it, and has a crystal RD keychain on my school ID. We have a very strict dress code at school, we can,t wear T shirts at all.

My situation's a little different since I'm in college and not high school, but I agree with the other suggestions of putting on a simple Brony shirt.  My "20% cooler" shirt from WeLove Fine has worked wonders

I've also started this thread about my effort to reach out to other college bronies anonymously, but I think that's something that's a little more applicable to a college campus than to high school. 

Well at my college it was easy to find other bronies because they had already created a MLP: FIM club.

I herd about them and joined them.

They are a great group of people that I like to hang out with them.

So for me it was easy to meet other bronies where I go to.

I found two bronies in two days at my school, it was easy as pie.

The first day I was wearing a Fluttershy shirt, and the other brony was wearing a vinyl scratch shirt, and we both freaked out. The next day I was in the lunch line, and my friends, who aren't bronies but know I am one, recognized Rainbow Dash one this one guy's wallet (I'm so proud of them for recognizing her!) and told me. I then pulled out my Rainbow Dash wallet. Both days made me really happy.

So yeah, I think the best way would be identifying yourself as a brony by wearing a shirt or something to that effect.

Our school has its own Minecraft server. While I was playing on that one day, another guy who had joined who wasn't from the school started talking about My Little Pony. So I joined in, discussing the characters and stuff, and the other guy online from my school stated that he had watched a few episodes as well. He didn't describe himself as a Brony, though, more like a "half-Brony".

Another time, someone had managed to get Counter Strike to work on the school computers. During a LAN match, I changed my screen name to "Pinkie Pie", which prompted one of the other players in the room to change their name to "Fluttershy". I was super pleased when that happened :P Ended up finding out who had done the name change and brohoofing. We've been talking about the show and Bronies on and off since, we both don't really want anyone else to hear us talk about the show.

I also know that there is one more Brony at school, just because I saw a Rainbow Dash sticker on someone's rucksack that they had left on a rack outside the lunch hall. I would've stuck around to see who it belonged to but I had a lunchtime meeting to go to. I'll find out who it is some day.

So yeah, that's three Bronies I know of. There may be more. This is out of 1,200 people aged 11-18, but I live in the UK where it's much rarer to find Bronies than in the US. So I say you're in with a decent chance finding a fellow Brony, OP n.n

• Brohoof 2

The first day of this school-year(at a school of about 600-800), I met about 5 Bronies due to my not-so-subtle bag that I ordered off of WeLoveFine during the summer. So far, I haven't caught any flak about my bag yet c:. Now, the group of people I hang out with, which is comprised of mostly Bronies, contains about 7 Bronies, and I know of about 10-15 others in the whole school.

So, yeah, buying some apparel(be it subtle or not) would be the way to try and find some Bronies throughout your school. There is no way you are the only one there.