Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria Girls Official. New Concept Art released by Hasbro.

Best Pony

(edited)

Oh my....so the designs are official. Well okay then I mean they aren't bad but as everyone else pointed out they certainly aren't human. In fact they aren't anthro either, or at least not in the same way characters like Sonic The Hedgehog and Mickey Mouse are.

Really we can't judge this show yet since all we have is this piece of concept art and a vague idea of what the premise is. I mean for all we know highschool, or school in general, barely pops up in the series. Yes there is a chance it will become some crappy generic teen show that looks like something on Disney Channel but it could also be a really kickass human version of what we already know. That's really what I expect the show to be; Friendship is Magic but everyone is a human now. Hasbro is smart enough [or at least should be] not to fuck this up. I'm sure all the voice actors and writers from FiM will return. So just calm down and wait for more information until you decide to freak out, and for the love of god TRUST THE WRITERS!!!

If your still not sure a MLP highschool story can work please read Dash academy, it's a great comic about RD's High School [Flight School?] days. http://www.dashacademycomic.com/

Did the writers announce that they wanted to do this and enjoy it?

I hope not. If they had to announce it, it probably was to quell some negativity that breeds off such material.

We can't judge the story.

We can judge the design. Disturbing.

(the Design probably had little to do with the writer's decision, though this may not be true)

Those things are not passable as human. At least not to me.

Those are ponies with sub-human limbs and faces.

Those things are pony-sailormoon-highschool-girls.

(the sheer amount of stereotype potential is already painful...)

It's not that most would feel to judge it based on nothing.

We already have a premise to judge on.

The design of anything is usually a testament to the ideal or concept.

It has followed the ceremonial theme of being what you described as a "crappy generic Disney teen show".

I agree it has potential. Everything has potential. However, I can't say we haven't been given enough reasons to doubt the extent of said potential.

Trusting the writers is as efficient as hoping that Hasbro's management team will NOT try to choke out every penny they can regardless of how far they have to stoop to get it.

Still, I have to agree. It's not like the series is ALREADY a deadweight.

A chance be given where a chance can be taken.

Ah the bronies. We overreact to the slightest of crap thrown at us. For we all forget the true meaning of our fandom.

This is a show for girls

we were never the intended audience

please stop whining.

I'd like to keep whining.

This is not a show for girls. This is a show INTENDED for girls.

The true meaning of WHOSE fandom? Yours?

Well, for some, the true meaning of their fandom is to be as interested in the progression of their interest as possible.

Please read the definition of the word 'whining', friend.

Everyone here is complaining, supporting, disregarding or expressing opinion.

(and whining, if there is any, I'm not looking for it)

Edited by Sunset Spark
  • Brohoof 1

I'm not saying Hasbro owes me anything! and this isn't really 'throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks' this is throwing stuff at the fans and forcing it to stick!

What do you mean "throwing stuff at the fans and forcing it to stick?"

I am not sure what you are saying, but my best guess is that you are implying that Hasbro is shoving this new show down our throats.

If you are saying that, then wow, people really have no idea what it means to shove something down someone's throat.

Hasbro is not shoving anything down anyone's throat. They are giving us a plate to eat off if we so desire, but we have every right to reject the food.

It would be closer to shoving it down our throats if this show were either replacing it with MLP or it were mixed into the MLP canon. It is doing neither of those things.

You know this will probably end up like the new Star Wars movie. We're all gonna talk shit about it and think that it'll suck...but when it comes out you know everypony is gonna watch it! I even think that there might be new factions forming in the brony community...like the supporters of equestria girls and the non-supporters

• Brohoof 2

I kind of find it hard to imagine them having a casual converstation with a classmate with a pair of wings and bizarre haircuts

• Brohoof 1

This is...

This is...

HASBRO!

WAT R U DOIN?

HASBRO!

STAHP!!

But seriously, I cannot believe they would do this. What the hell hasbro, first Fighting is magic and now this?!

They really don't care what bronies think, do they?

img-1228074-1-Hasbro2-popup.jpg

Confirmed by Hasbro.  Looks like Hasbro is really keen on revamping ponies even if they're successful as it is. No unicorn horns if you notice more closely.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/business/hasbro-expands-transformers-brand-into-new-media.html?_r=0

Hm... well, they're not completely human, that's for sure... I wonder if this 'human world' has more anthros, like them, or they'll be some freaky half-human half pony winged creatures to all of their peers around them...

But most importantly, I think they just didn't want to add the horns for the Unicorns. Maybe they'll be like mages, with a wand and such, or maybe It's inner magic. They can just summon it with their hands... HANDS.

55654%20-%20Lyra%20artist%253Athelivingm

• Brohoof 2

So much dislike. I wouldn't mind this happening but the skin colour ruins it for me. If they made the skin colour human i'd be perfectly okay with this. One question comes to mind is if the other characters would still have wierd skin, or if they'd just be humans, or mostly?

I honestly don't mind that they are using the pony's colors rather than natural skin tone. Lets be honest here, when it comes to humanized ponies, a lot of fans fight over which character is which ethnicity and will throw tantrums if every character was white, and arguments about racism and so on

Good point. But still Hasbro is getting as bad as Disney now adays! their bucking money grubbing bastards who don't care about any thing but making more stuff for people to buy!!! they make and change things to make little kids (for example) go: "Oh mommy! look it's the new Princess Cadence doll she's such a pretty pink pony can I have her pleeeeeeeeeease!!!" or in a 4 or 7 year old boys case: "Oh mommy look its the new transformers rescue bots toys! their so cool the way their like normal Firefighters and Policemen except giant robots! can we get them pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!"

You do realize that's exactly what Hasbro is in business to do, right?  They make toys, and in order to get parents to buy the toys for their kids, they have to advertise them.  Shows like MLP:FiM and any spinoffs are there to do exactly that.

• Brohoof 3

This is just plainly put my opinion. I totally don't like Equestria Girls. MLP is as popular as it is because of the ponies! Why change everything into human version when they don't even look human anywayz? It ruins the concept of MLP for me

Looks alright to me. I guess anthro style is a safer bet her than full-on humans, they look nice enough.

Anyway, I'll surely be anticipating this, hope it turns out okay(which it definitely should as long as the FiM team is on it). ;)

• Brohoof 1

I actually like this style, but it kinda reminds me of Lisa Frank (you know, those rainbow-colored kittens/puppies we like as little girls?)

lisafrank3.jpg

But besides that, I think it looks pretty good. But different voice actors? Is that what's happening? I hope not. I think they'll use the same actors for the MLP show into this one. Still, I hope this doesn't end up like Monster High, all drama, makeup, no plot. But the styles look really cute in my opinion, especially Pinkie. Pinkie looks exactly how I'd imagine her as a human. Love how it also gives me that anime-feel. 

Rainbow Dash wearing a ponytail...though she just have it down like the show. Doesn't matter, but just wondering about that. 

But I hope this show is good, and that they keep the same voice actors. I'll trust the writers, and I hope they don't turn the mane six into cliche girls who think about pink, cosmetics, and boys. :P But we'll just have to wait and see. I like the style, but I may not like the show. But who knows? I'm going to look on the positive side and say that it'll be just as great as the MLP main show. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'll give it a chance. I gave once gave MLP a chance, and now I'm hooked. Equestria Girls is just a spin off, and it won't effect the show Lauren created. I'm glad Sara Jessica Parker was the model for the animation though. Have a great night fellow bronies, and bro hoof! /)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves
  • Brohoof 2

mane_6___pony__human_by_trinityinyang-d5I just wish that they could do the artwork in this style. So badly. So, so badly. I was just looking at these last night and thinking how they are the only humanised ponies I've seen so far that don't creep me out...

• Brohoof 2

I just wish that they could do the artwork in this style.

This, i could live with. 

I much prefer that style as well. The characters in the picture you posted look fun and interesting. The OP picture just looks like an out of proportion Bratz / Littlest Pet Shop mix. 

(edited)

img-1240478-1-mane_6___pony__human_by_tr

I just wish that they could do the artwork in this style. So badly. So, so badly. I was just looking at these last night and thinking how they are the only humanised ponies I've seen so far that don't creep me out...

Gosh dang, THAT I could actually live with; certainly would be a lot less confusing than these anthro designs we've got right now.  I think the biggest difference is NOT actually the skin color, but the arm designs; has anypony else noticed that the concept art designs for these humanized Mane 6 have really short  and thin arms like twigs?  They're really, really weird looking!!!  These designs at least have normal looking, fully fleshed out arms.  Sadly, I know it'll never happen because Hasbro would get into all kinds of a P.R. nightmare if they made all of the characters white (which does honestly make sense to me, I mean, seriously, not trying to sound racist or anything, but do any of the Mane 6 not sound white?), but if they're worried so much about that and came up with these bizarre designs as a result, then maybe, gee, I don't know, they simply shouldn't have done this in the first place! :angry: *sigh*  But, as I said, I'll give it a shot, I owe Studio B that much; just, not very optimistic in the slightest about how this is all gonna turn out.  <_<

Edited by Batbrony

(edited)

Hate to say I told you so about that old picture being fake, but I told you so. xD

The question is, are the official designs any better? Avoiding human skin color was a plus, but...what are those things?  :o They're not ponies, but they're not humans...they look like toys. The weird kind of toys that nobody wants to buy.

And while we're talking about the show, why are they aiming a spinoff at teenage girls when MLP attracts mostly little girls and young men? And if there was going to be a spinoff, why not base it on a good idea? Like the CMC, or the adventures of Daring Do, or the Lyra Heartstrings show? :blush:

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 2

Hate to say I told you so about that old picture being fake, but I told you so. xD

The question is, are the official designs any better? Avoiding human skin color was a plus, but...what are those things?  :o They're not ponies, but they're not humans...they look like toys. The weird kind of toys that nobody wants to buy.

And while we're talking about the show, why are they aiming a spinoff at teenage girls when MLP attracts mostly little girls and young men? And if there was going to be a spinoff, why not base it on a good idea? Like the CMC, or the adventures of Daring Do, or the Lyra Heartstrings show? :blush:

THANK YOU, this is exactly what I've been saying!  DF and I agree, we don't know who the buck this is supposed to appeal to?!?!  These designs look far too bizarre and confusing for younger viewers, but the only teenage girls I can see being attracted at all by this would already be pegasisters, and that's a very, very limited demographic.  These designs, they're just... ughhh, bizarre, as is the whole premise.  Like I've said before also, if this isn't supposed to be in continuity, then what the buck does that mean!!!  Does this mean that there's a multiverse in the pony universe, like DC comics?!?!  This is just getting more and more infuriatingly confusing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

No this takes away from the essence of MLP i mean yes they do look adorable but we will lose the context and story that we all have come to love expecially replacing words with Pony! No longer will everypony be said... thats not the only problem its just... well it would just seem weird to see a bunch of girls running around... on adventures and stuff...

Fireball no like. 

For a minute afetr looking at the picture, I was screaming:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HASBRO??? WHY, HASBRO, WHY???

NO ME GUSTA, NOBODY GUSTA!! GET THAT **** OFF THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW!!

And then I was like, 'oh'. Well, we'll see about that.

Rarity isn't frilly enough, her outfit looks too plain, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack have GOT to loose the skirts. And they don't need their mark on their cheeks. I can see parents now..."These dolls are evil! They encourage young girls to get tramp stamps! etc. etc. blah, rant."

Fluttershy looks adorable though.

The saddest part? I've seen much better fan designs.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I am going to give this series a try but I don't know how I feel about it. The picture doesn't fit our characters as much as it is. Shouldn't applejack and rainbow dash be wearing at least shorts? It just doesn't seem in their character. Just cause they are all girls doesn't mean they need to all wear skirts!

But, besides the point, I'm hoping they don't change how they speak with this "high school" type of setting they are dropping them in. I fear its going to turn into a Rugrats 'All Grown Up' series. That series was just terrible. If Twilight and them start speaking like: OMG, TOTALLY, STELLAR, yeah I'm out.

Also, I can just smell the new toys they have in mind for this. Marketing is always more important rather than views and fans, right? Right? dry.png

Personally I'm looking forward to this. I don't get what everyone's raging about, their design is fine IMO, and it's not even canon to the ponies. I'm not looking on the bad side of this, I can see how it can be good.

W-WHA?

NOOOOOOOO!

In all seriosity, if they just removed the Cutie Marks and toned down the wings a bit, it would be fine, but they didn't, which leaves us screaming. I'm still giving this a chance, however.

I am going to pretend this show does not exist coz i came to watch ponys not highschool girls talk about how hot the new kid is lol

You don't have to pretend it doesn't exist, because it doesn't.

Everyone's already acting like it's confirmed by Hasbro themselves when it isn't