Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming First videogame you played ?

Soultensionb

Probably the first ever game (if my memory serves me correctly) I ever played was Crash Bash for the Playstation 1. I loved that game so much, shame Crash Bandicoot games aren't what they used to be.

• Brohoof 1

For me, it was one of a few possibilities, since I'm having trouble remembering which one it was. I played my first video game when I was about 2 and 3/4 years old, so bear with me.

We were a Playstation/Sony exclusive family, up until the Gamecube was released. My first video game was either Jumping Flash!, Rayman, or Mortal Kombat 3, all for the Playstation 1 (I'm talking the big old square one, not the curved PSone released later on) back in 1995/1996. Yes, I know that a three year old playing an M rated game sounds rather preposterous, but I was always told that that sort of thing could never happen in real life...or could it? :P

Later on in 1996, it had to be either Gex or Crash Bandicoot 1.

I've just been informed by my mother that it was in fact MK3, and that the second one was actually The Raiden Project. Damn, I played some violent games as a child, hehe.

Edited by HandMan

This is a hard question because I've been an avid console gamer ever since I can remember xD Though, the oldest memory I have is of a California Raisins game for the PC on MS-DOS. Props if you know who the California Raisins are :3

Who could possibly forget "heard it through the grape vine"

ugh does this make me old even remembering a commercial that was out when i was 3?

Didn't know they had a game though... and i miss the claymation christmas special.. haven't seen that in YEARS (and tbh can't find virtually any info on it online either... hmm..)

I don't remember the first game I ever played. All I remember was a NES and a probably Super Mario Bros. 1-3. Well It's probably that the NES was a gift from my uncle to my older brother which was the very first one, but not really sure even though it was duck hunt which I never play. There's a 50/50 chance that I did play Super Mario Bros. and the other I remembered was the World Class Track Meet which is with the NES accessory, Power Pad. That's probably all I remembered so far.

My first game was the original Spyro the Dragon game on the PS1. The Playstation and game belonged to the library where my dad worked, only it was broken and had to be repaired, so after it was fixed my dad got to hold on to it for a few days and let my sister and I play on it.

Bet you can't guess what we demanded for Christmas that year?

• Brohoof 3

Pong or one of those old paddle games was probably my first video game experience. I had a system that was so cheap, the unit itself made the game noises -- it couldn't play them through the TV.

The first game I ever played was the first Spyro game on the Playstation... OMG I love that game still to this day. I even have my original copy of it still :3

That cute purple dragon is one of my favourite game characters ever!!!

^_^

• Brohoof 1

God you guys are making me feel old.  The first game I distinctly remember playing is Smurfs on the ColecoVision.  My family did own an Atari 2600 and I do remember Pitfall and Space Invaders, but I think that was more my brothers' thing.  Those games were too hard for me at 4 or 5. 

• Brohoof 2

My first game was Super Mario 64. I still remember the night we got it and the N64. I don't think I ever beat it though, but of course my brother did (maybe my mom did too). I never got into video games as much as my brother, though. He disdainfully calls me a casual gamer :'D Though I can totally beat him in Mario Kart Wii! And am far more kickass than him at Tetris, which was probably another one of our very first games.

• Brohoof 1

God you guys are making me feel old.  The first game I distinctly remember playing is Smurfs on the ColecoVision.  My family did own an Atari 2600 and I do remember Pitfall and Space Invaders, but I think that was more my brothers' thing.  Those games were too hard for me at 4 or 5. 

SMURF: Rescue at Gargamel's Castle?  What a horrible, horrible game that has no right to have so many fond childhood memories attached to it. :)

SMURF: Rescue at Gargamel's Castle?  What a horrible, horrible game that has no right to have so many fond childhood memories attached to it. smile.png

YES!  The entire game was just "move right, jump over obstacle" for like 10 screens.  It was the only one simple enough for me to play. 

Graphics and music were pretty decent for its day, though. 

• Brohoof 1

YES! The entire game was just "move right, jump over obstacle" for like 10 screens. It was the only one simple enough for me to play.

Graphics and music were pretty decent for its day, though.

In that vain, actually, I just attended an exhibit here in Seattle this last weekend: "The Art of Video Games". It really is just a small room with a bunch of consoles starting at the Atari 2600 and going all the way up through the PS3 and Wii, each with four representative games shown in both screenshot and video format. A few playable demos - Pac Man (arcade), Super Mario Bros., The Secret of Monkey Island, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Flower (PS3). And just a couple stands of concept art, as well as a REAL Atari 2600 "Halo" cartridge (yes, someone actually made a 2D platformer of Halo for the 2600, and supposedly it's actually pretty good).

I personally was a bit disappointed with the exhibit - it left a lot of stuff out, and furthermore, being a VG history buff, it didn't talk about very much other than just "Here's this game. In some cases, the developer added neat cover art or put in a map to help players imagine stuff inside the game." Very little about how developers had to work in the confines of these old systems. I would love to have an exhibit that helped newer generations really APPRECIATE just how much technology has evolved, and the games with them.

(Woo! Butterfly!)

Edited by Harvan
  • Brohoof 1

The first game I ever played was Pokemon Red version. What's funny is I almost returned the game because I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house lol XD

Luckily, I figured it out and to this day it is still one of my favorite games of all time.

The first game I've ever played was Mega Man 6 on the NES when I was 3 years old.  Now I'm 19, and I've been playing games ever since.  I think the thing that made me love video games was when I got a N64 when I was in kindergarten, and the first game I played on that was Mario Kart 64.

In that vain, actually, I just attended an exhibit here in Seattle this last weekend: "The Art of Video Games". It really is just a small room with a bunch of consoles starting at the Atari 2600 and going all the way up through the PS3 and Wii, each with four representative games shown in both screenshot and video format. A few playable demos - Pac Man (arcade), Super Mario Bros., The Secret of Monkey Island, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Flower (PS3). And just a couple stands of concept art, as well as a REAL Atari 2600 "Halo" cartridge (yes, someone actually made a 2D platformer of Halo for the 2600, and supposedly it's actually pretty good).

I personally was a bit disappointed with the exhibit - it left a lot of stuff out, and furthermore, being a VG history buff, it didn't talk about very much other than just "Here's this game. In some cases, the developer added neat cover art or put in a map to help players imagine stuff inside the game." Very little about how developers had to work in the confines of these old systems. I would love to have an exhibit that helped newer generations really APPRECIATE just how much technology has evolved, and the games with them.

(Woo! Butterfly!)

That's cool.  It's really too bad that it seems a lot of people think gaming started with the playstation and there's not as much outt here for older ssytems. 

If you ever happen to be in New Jersey, there's a place you'd probably enjoy called Digital Press.  it's a mom-and-pop owned video game store that basically doubles as a video game museum.  They not only sell the newest games and consoles, but also every old school video game system ever made, including games. Hell, they even have an original Magnavox Odyssey on display as well as famous failures like the Virtual Boy, Sega 32X, and Nokia N-Gage.

http://dpvideogames.com/

• Brohoof 1

Ah my love of the X-men and of video games started in 1998 when I was 5 or 6 years old. I played X-men 2: The Clone Wars on the Sega Genesis. I pushed the reset button repeatedly until I started as Nightcrawler

That's cool.  It's really too bad that it seems a lot of people think gaming started with the playstation and there's not as much outt here for older ssytems. 

If you ever happen to be in New Jersey, there's a place you'd probably enjoy called Digital Press.  it's a mom-and-pop owned video game store that basically doubles as a video game museum.  They not only sell the newest games and consoles, but also every old school video game system ever made, including games. Hell, they even have an original Magnavox Odyssey on display as well as famous failures like the Virtual Boy, Sega 32X, and Nokia N-Gage.

http://dpvideogames.com/

Nice. :)  That place sounds like a more complete version of a place we have out here, called Pink Gorilla, which basically does the same thing.  Pink Gorilla (originally Pink Godzilla, until they got sued for the name) has stuff for the most popular old systems, but not a very complete collection of them.

We have other places in the area that do the same thing, but they're all pretty much niche-market places.  Digital Press sounds more like the kind of place I'd want to run if I were in that business. :)

Haha first game Super Mario Bros. For Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game that started all of my gaming.... then came POKEMON!

Pong on a 19" black and white tv.  Then breakout/pinball/basketball on a sears thing before the atari 2600 came out.  At that point I got it and six of the nine release games.

Spyro the Dragon for Playstation 1. I still own the game, it's one of my favorites! wub.png Even though I have already completed it many times, I often start a new game because there are many levels, which makes it enjoyable to play again.

• Brohoof 2

I'm begining to dislike these age-related questions. sad.png

Pong.

No, I'm not kidding. The first video game I ever played was Pong, on the Atari game console. I even had the coloured acetate sheets to stick on my black & white TV so you could make it green to play 'tennis'.

• Brohoof 2