Why bronies are seen as ugly nerds/geeks?

Motion Spark

I'm a fat nerd with no life and I'm offended

I think it's because the social stigma attached with these things. Ponies have been equated to girly, and girly has been equated to dumb. Not complicated at all, really. Pretty simple.

I'm a fat nerd with no life and I'm offended

I think it's because the social stigma attached with these things. Ponies have been equated to girly, and girly has been equated to dumb. Not complicated at all, really. Pretty simple.

brah you are stigmatizing too by saying that girly is the same as dumb, you are calling dumb to everything really girly, is like continuing with the "blondes are dumbs" jokes, though it's very funny, it's not true and it's also a stigma by society.

TY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTSTY STOP LOOKING AT MY POSTS

Edited by PonyLover123
  • Brohoof 1

You know I have been given that same idea some thought everyone is like you are like the prime example of a nerd/geek and now you are a BRONY?! Haha well i don't really care honestly it all remindes me of Revenge of The Nerds. Thus proving even though we may not be the most attractive people we can still get the girls (or guys depends on prefrence) and be pretty cool doin it!

Heh, Iunno if I am ugly, but I have meh eating habits. I am somewhat antisocial, but I make up for it by going to meetups. :3 I have made a few friends, but at school, I have over 9000 people who judge me every day.

One is like: You like horses? (Weird face)
Another: Your really close to gay.
The rest think I am a pedo/low-self-esteem/clopper

I understand what you are sayin bro. I know those feels. Most peoples reactions are like well.... I always knew you where homosexual bro *Pat *Pat.

I have often wondered this same thing.
There is a wide variety of bronies, some who look like nerdy geek kinda stuff and others who don't.

People probably just focus on the nerdy geeky side of the fandom because it gives them a reason to be mean...like saying that All bronies are nerdy and geeky when actually there are just as many nerdy/geeky guys and gals as there are not nerdy/geeky guys and gals.

I think people who don't like the fandom point the nerdy/geeky side of the fandom out to make it seem like every single brony is geeky/nerdy. And even if someone is geeky/nerdy, why does it matter ? (Not that I am saying any of you think it does matter. Its kinda funny how many times I said nerdy/geeky)

• Brohoof 1

brah you are stigmatizing too by saying that girly is the same as dumb, you are calling dumb to everything really girly, is like continuing with the "blondes are dumbs" jokes, though it's very funny, it's not true and it's also a stigma by society.

I'm not saying girly things are dumb, I'm saying that many people today think girly=stupid. I think you got a little bit confused.

Stereotypes ugh....

People make perceptions of anyone all the time and just because they do does not mean that they are right. I hate  despise the word "nerds/geeks" and how they are categorized as ugly.... Just because someone is smart or looks a certain way does not "automatically" mean they are a geek. 

It is because people box things into categories example all bronies are geeks and nerds <-- not true. That is so silly to me how people put things into categories like that.

• Brohoof 1

Another reason I think people stereotype is because people are usually too lazy to change their world view than to accept new realities (even though it might take maybe a calorie of mental effort to comprehend new perspectives). As such, when people are presented with something like the concept of bronies, they would rather file us away into stereotypes than acknowledge the fact that people of all ages, races, creeds, backgrounds, etc., can enjoy a show about ponies.

Blame it on humanity's seemingly innate stubbornness.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

I really don't know why bronies are seen as fat, ugly nerds. I am like the complete opposite of what bronies are seen as. I don't call myself good looking but I've recieved compliments. My personality doesn't give you hints of me being a brony or a gamer(or an adventure time fan either).

Because stereotypes are the way people function.  When people hear something about someone and that someone is associated with a group the whole group is blamed.

A lot of us are nerds. There's no denying that really, since a lot of us here admit to doing nerdy things aside from FiM like watching anime, playing video games, and role playing and the like, and that's okay really, interests are just interests in the end, nerdy or not.

But ugly? Hm, no, most of us seem to be pretty nice looking people going by a few certain threads around here, imo at least, and most brony Youtubers and the like really aren't ugly either, that stereotype just isn't there from what I've seen. :)

• 2 years later...

I really think its because in they eyes of society, males watching pink ponies is stupid. Which is bad, because its a terrible thing to assume being a fan of MLP is the reason to everyone's flaws. I have autism, which makes me anti-social and have unique interests. However lots of people (mainly in school) think I am some mental creep. In fact, I have a list of all the Brony stereotypes:

• Pedophile
  • Fat
  • Nerdy
  • Lazy
  • Ugly
  • Dirty
  • Anti-Social
  • Eating Cheetos
  • Drinking Mountain Dew
  • Gay
  • Unhealthy
  • Perverted
  • Dumb
  • Anime fan
  • Playing WoW
  • Skyping with strangers from Japan
  • And finally, living in Mom's basement

Yeah those haters went overboard.

• Brohoof 1

Because the "macho" man who is insecure has to feel better about himself by making the men who are more confident in their masculinity to like ponies less manly. Think about it, he is probably fat and his his basement and says insults to make him feel better about himself. Pathetic. I'm not fat or a nerd lol I just don't like being insulted by scum.

Edited by Rainbow Dashe

While this is a generalized stereotype, and it extends to other fandoms, people who follow the stereotype DO exist, and douches who mock our fandom use them as weapons to screw with us

• Brohoof 1

Well.... I have to admit... I *am* a nerd/geek Though I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. I also consider myself quite ugly o_o which is fine. I have a girl that loves me regardless and that's all that matters ^ ^

As for why people perceive us as ugly nerds. I dunno. I assume it's because all groups have stereotypes.

Aye I'm a glasses wearing geeky video gamer, when on here (the computer) 

Not so much when I have my (police) uniform on people don't see me like that then I can assure you...

"This royal guard gonna bust your ass." Said that to a mugging suspect once his face was priceless. 

• Brohoof 1

Whatever isn't consider "cool" is oftentimes expected by many to be full of "ugly, socially awkward, etc." people, because these people tend to spend their time desperately trying to be nothing but "cool" feel the need to put down others and their interests in order to raise themselves up. Because when they look at themselves they still see flaws (because literally everyone has some flaws), and they feel better by going "hey look! They have waaaaaaaay more flaws than me! I'm better! I'm better!!!"

There really isn't a good reason for it to happen. It's pretty unnecessary, but as long as some people can pretend to find ways to justify this judgement on bronies and other groups of people, it will unfortunately continue.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone cares about this.  I also don't think it's necessary to try and shoot down these disparaging generalizations.  People have lobbed far worse at members of this fandom.

Another thing: Just about every time someone makes a topic like this, they end up giving a sort of new life to the very insults they're attempting to refute.

Stereotypes stick because they have a bit of truth to them. If it was a blatant lie, it would have nothing to stand on. That being said, a lot of Bronies are nerds/geeks. I am a nerd myself :lol: As for appearances, let's be real -- you're going to have unattractive people in every group. The stereotype is true in that, yes, some Bronies are what people consider "ugly." The lie is that we are all unattractive. However, in order to try to make it more offensive, people generalize the whole fandom as such.