Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which of The mane 6 has had the saddest or hardest childhood?

A Talking Dragon

We know a little bit, now, on how the main characters' childhoods were like. Each of the mane 6 had disadvantages while growing up.

Likely disadvantages for them (These are ones I can think of, you can add more or less):

Twilight: Did not have many friends growing up, maybe none at all.

Applejack: Lost her parents when she was younger than Applebloom, raised by a single grandmother.

Rarity: Lived with parents that probably didn't understand her. Might of had pressure to meet deadlines

early on as she is seen working on costumes for a play before.

Rainbow Dash: Had a couple rivals that verbally bullied her.

Fluttershy: For a time, was a weak flier living in a cloud city

Pinkie Pie: Had to do family work that she hated

So, who likely had the roughest childhood? Try ranking them also. Who would of had the least to worry about growing up?

• Brohoof 4

Pinkie Pie seemed to have a very depressing childhood, at least until she got her cutie mark and started being all happy and stuff.

Applejack must have had a rough childhood, considering her parents died *sad face*

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

I wish one of the Mane 6 was raised in a ghetto neighborhood by gangsters and different gangs. That pony would've had the hardest childhood

Until then, Pinkie Pie probably had the toughest one

Edited by Soundgarden
  • Brohoof 4

I don't know that Pinkie's can be considered the saddest seeing as how she had no concept of true happiness. You don't realize you were missing something until you have it.

I think Fluttershy's was probably the hardest, seeing as how nopony seemed to notice when she fell and nearly died.

• Brohoof 12

(edited)

AJ. Dead parents is a pretty awful thing to go through for anyone, especially a kid. And that follows her and her siblings into adulthood.

Then again, working on a rock farm probably sucks.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think that Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash had the least saddest/hardest childhood. Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Applejack had the saddest/hardest childhood.

Twilight chose to not have any friends, other than her brother and Spike.

For Rarity we don't see too much other than that she has pressure to make a deadline for a play, but she probably put that on herself given that it's Rarity and she would've wanted the outfits to be perfect.

Rainbow Dash may of been teased, but she could show the other's that she had what it took. It was only those three that teased her anyway, unlike Fluttershy whom was teased by practically everpony else.

Fluttershy was a weak flyer, and still kind of is, but that is more of a lack of confidence and fear of being teased. Which we saw she was teased often, and that can have an effect on a child. I would say Fluttershy had a hard life growing up because of all the teasing, but not as much as Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie we know grew up on a rock farm, waking up every day to do boring, repetitive work. She never had a chance to know what fun was until she saw the sonic rainboom. Growing up without friends, except her family, working every day doing manual labor, would definitely be a hard life for a child. I say Pinkie Pie had a fairly hard childhood.

Applejack lost her parents when she was young, and that obviously would be incredibly hard, but also very depressing for a child. It also would have been quite sad if Applebloom wasn't even old enough at the time to know her parents, and Applejack, Big Mac, or Granny would've had to explain to her where her parents were. Given that Applejack is the big sister, she probably would've told Applebloom about their parents. Which would've of been a very sad moment in their lives. Having to grow up without parents would be very hard on a child, they would probably be quite sad on the inside for quite sometime. I say that Applejack would've had the hardest and the saddest childhood.

Edited by Mr. Dash
  • Brohoof 5

Applejack's. If you are, say, 4, and your parents die, leaving only you, your siblings, and a single grandmother, surely that must be incredibly hard to deal with. Much harder than moving rocks every day.

• Brohoof 1

Looking at what we currently know, I would say Applejack. I mean losing a loved one, especially a mother or father, is hard enough as it is, but to lose both seems extremely painful in every way imaginable. 

However, there is a lot of unknowns. One of the unknowns is about Fluttershy's whole family situation. Other than a very small remark about her little brother (I forgot what episode exactly), there is no mention of her parents at all. It makes me wonder if Fluttershy might have lived alone before the series, and really had no pony to look up to or to comfort her. Even though AJ's parents are deceased, she still has Granny Smith at least. 

(edited)

I think Applejack had the saddest childhood because, she lost her parents when she was young. It almost relates to how Bruce Wayne became Batman. To avenge his parents.

tumblr_mjbdh4ci8u1r3l41yo1_500.gif

Fluttershy's childhood was definitely the hardest, she was teased because of the fact that they said she was a weak flyer. She practically got teased by everypony, that is why Rainbow Dash stood up for her.

Edited by ✮Chaotic Lightning
  • Brohoof 3

Yup Pinkie and AJ for the win. It seems like Twilight didn't know she needed friends until ep 2 so it's not that sad of one as she was ignorant of that need.

Um Pinkie Pie was very PROUD of the Rock Farm.  Look at her reaction to Trixie when she tried to malign it.  There is nothing there that says her parents and sisters were anything less than a loving family.

The only member of the mane 6 that had a potentially hard childhood was Fluttershy. 

Im devided between Aj and Fluttershy

I know a lot of people said Pinkie, and yeah she was unhappy and the story seemed sad, and compared to how pinkie is now it is sad for her, but its not like she was abused or anything, she mostly had problems with the fact that it was boring.

AppleJack probably had the worst thing happpen to her. The only real positive thing about it is she was able to get over it by the help and love from her family. And we can see that AJ grew up to be a very strong person.

Fluttershy on the other hand, had a smaller issue then Aj but the problem is she never learned how to deal with it, in reality nobody helped her with those problems, except for maybe RainbowDash a few times. And in Hurracaine Fluttershy we see how much it actually scared her.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

how do you forget twilight!?!?!"?!

twilight, she was 21 (20 whatever age they are)  before she discovered what having friends was like, basically twilight spent her childhood reading...... yay XD no friends at all so you gotta have da feels for her 

Edited by Luna forever

how do you forget twilight!?!?!"?!

twilight, she was 21 (20 whatever age they are)  before she discovered what having friends was like, basically twilight spent her childhood reading...... yay XD no friends at all so you gotta have da feels for her 

The thing with Twilight is that she seemed to be pretty okay with not having friends, and to be honest some ponies can be that introverted. I mean she did open up to how important friends are, but she never seemed to be miserable about not having friends. 

• Brohoof 3

Wow, now I realize that all of the Mane Six had some issues growing up. Just another reason why these characters are so amazing, relatable, and lovable.

Applejack had the saddest childhood. Losing both of her parents at such a young age is a lot more depressing than what the others had to go through. As tragic as that is, it's even more tragic when consider that when she lost them, she lost her childhood too. There's no doubt that she had to step up a bit and grow up quickly, especially with such a young Apple Bloom around.

Fluttershy comes close, because her story is a one of both sadness and hardship. Faust said that her appearance when she was young (the longer legs than the other fillies) was due to a weird phase she was going through, and we all know she was bullied, so that was probably part of why she was. She's always been a weak flier, and totally lacking in self confidence. Plus, we don't know anything about her family either, if she even has one. I would say her life was just as rough, if not rougher than Pinkie's because Fluttershy was fairly unhappy too. She felt an intense joy that she never experienced when she met all of the woodland critters, which is similar to Pinkie's joy of seeing the rainbow.

Pinkie Pie definitely comes third. I realize that she worked on a rock farm, and it was very hard and very boring, but Fluttershy was also unhappy as a filly, and Applejack had to work on a farm all day with no parents to love and guide her, whereas Pinkie had a mother and father.

The other three didn't have it quite as tough, but you can still sympathize with them.

Twilight chose not to have any friends, and she was perfectly content with having just her books and her brother. Still, her life was much more complete when she made friends with the Mane Six, so it's true that she would have been an even happier filly if she had made friends back when she was younger. She missed out on such a wonderful possibility, which is still a bit sad.

Rarity grew up with parents who likely did not understand her. In Sisterhooves Social, you can tell that Rarity is really a bit of an oddball child, in that she is nothing like either of them. I'm sure she felt very misunderstood when growing up, and she really had no one to help her to pursue her dreams.

Rainbow Dash probably had it the best. Sure, she had her fair share of bullies, got kicked out of flight school, and Cloudsdale never got to host the Equestria Games, but being the first to ever pull off a sonic rainboom is a fair trade. And besides, she's no weakling, she can handle anything those bullies throw at her. Rainbow Dash's story in the Cutie Mark Chronicles was that of her defending Fluttershy's honor, showing up those bullies, pulling off a rainboom, and literally making history. The other five had stories that were either sad, difficult, or both so I would say Rainbow had the best childhood by far.

• Brohoof 6

Applejack, her parents friggen died.  Either her or Pinkie who just lived in sadness on a rock farm until she became really happy. 

• Brohoof 1

I think Fluttershy had the saddest childhood. She was bullied, was shy, and had very few friends. Also, she never felt like she belonged in Cloudsdale as she was a weak flyer.

• Brohoof 3

There are few things that are more depressing than having your parents die especially at such a young age so none of the others even come close to Applejack. As someone who has gone through quite a few tragedies I can say firsthand that you never completely get over something like that, yes you can move on grow stronger from it and be happy again but when there is a death like that it leaves a permanent scar.

• Brohoof 3

There are few things that are more depressing than having your parents die especially at such a young age so none of the others even come close to Applejack. As someone who has gone through quite a few tragedies I can say firsthand that you never completely get over something like that, yes you can move on grow stronger from it and be happy again but when there is a death like that it leaves a permanent scar.

This is the main reason I'd say Applejack had the most difficult childhood. Its hard though to say if hers was the saddest and all because of how strong a person she is, and how she was able to overcome something like that. 

That's why I mentioned Fluttershy as having the saddest (followed by AJ), mostly because she was bullied and picked on her entire childhood, and only Dashie stood up for her. And she never really did seem to truly get over that, and its hard to know just how damaged she was from that.

And the other thing I'm curious about is Fluttershy's family. I have never heard any mention of the really, and I'm curious if her parents are really alive or not. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The pony that had the toughest childhood would probably be Pinkie Pie. Up until Dash did her sonic rainboom, she lived a dull, empty life doing nothing but moving rocks around in her crappy, amish-esque village. She had no forseeable future beyond her current situation, no concept of fun or enjoyment, and probably had strict, cold parents that didn't make her life much better.

Yes, Applejack's parents died, but she formed a very close relationship with the family that she did have. Even if it isn't able to replace her parents, he still managed to make the very best of a bad situation and become closer and more dependable with her family than she may have had her parents not died; she learned the value of staying close to her family though her situation.

I'm not sure what to say about Fluttershy. Very little is known about her background so it's difficult to come to any conclusions about the childhood she had, but judging by the fact that she was constantly bullied and had anxiety issues, she must not have had an ideal childhood.

Edited by Luna's Husbando
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Dash.

We see that Dash did have a father when she was a filly, but it is safe to assume she lost them as well considering her "Don't show any sad" emotion attitude. Combine the fact she was kicked out of her flight school, bullied constantly, and had to prove herself over and over to all the others on cloudsdale...she had it rough.

Of course Pinkie's was so horrible that she literally made friends out of inanimate objects to compensate so...yeah

Edited by DiscordAnarchy
  • Brohoof 1

I think that Pinky Pie had the worst childhood considering that she worked on a rock farm.  That had to be tough.  It reminds me of how cartoons depict prison work.

Just like real people, the Mane 6 all had bumps in the road while they were growing up. Here is my ranking:

1. Applejack. Number one without a doubt. While the exact sequence of events isn't known, it is obvious that her recollection in Cutie Mark Chronicles was highly sanitized. But regardless of whether one event came before the other or if they were simultaneous, having your parents die and then being uprooted to live with relatives far away are both major, adverse changes in a child's life. Applejack endured them both. She discovered that the Manehattan lifestyle didn't really suit her and she continued to be unhappy with it despite the undefined length of time she spent there. But when she finally had her epiphany and knew what her life calling was, everything changed for the better. Many kids would be hesitant to jump into a new life that consisted of juggling heavy farm work, attending school, and being a mother figure to a baby sister. But Applejack embraced that challenging role happily!

2. Fluttershy. Most of her peers treated her as an outcast and teased and tormented her. It's sad and ironic that she considers Rainbow Dash to be her one true childhood friend considering the very short amount of time they probably got to actually spend together. If anypony had a good reason to grow up hating everyone and everything, it's Fluttershy. But she bravely chose a different path when the opportunity presented itself.

3. Pinkie Pie. While she didn't suffer anything that would be considered tragic or abusive, the near total lack of joy and happiness that defined the beginning of her life itself was a tragedy. The fact that she didn't even experience the celebrations and fun activities that are a part of normal school life lends credence to the notion that she and her sisters were home-schooled. Pinkie couldn't even escape the drudgery of home life by going to school. Her background teaches us that life without some happiness, without anything to look forward to, isn't living at all.

4. Rainbow Dash. She was teased and bullied at the same flight camp Fluttershy was but she weathered it a lot

better due to her toughness. Being a relatively good flyer for her size and age also helped. There is also a lot of speculation that she didn't have a good family life at home despite her cameo with Rainbow Dad in Games Ponies Play.

5. Rarity. I suspect Rarity underwent the normal teenage drama growing up. Being an artistically minded aspiring fashionista, she wanted a more exciting life than her ordinary parents had. Long story short, she wanted to set herself apart. Rarity became infatuated with the glamorous lifestyles of rich and royal ponies who lived in places like Canterlot. Ironically, since she joined up with the rest of the Mane 6, she now sees she's much happier with real, down to earth people.

6. Twilight Sparkle. As far as we know, Twilight didn't have anything bad happen to her. She was content with her books and, of course, being with her parents and brother. Ironically, she was completely clueless about the large void in her life: An utter lack of socialization and friendship outside of her immediate family.

• Brohoof 5