1. 1. Do you like the toys

• I love them
    • I like them
    • At least they're show-accurate
    • I'm indifferent to them
    • I don't like them
    • I hate them
  2. 2. Will you buy them?

• I'm a collector, of course I'll buy them.
    • I'm a collector but they don't belong to my collection.
    • I'm interested in some of toys.
    • I'm not sure about it yet.
    • I'm not interested in any toys(including ponies).
    • I won't buy them.

(edited)

According to EQD these stupid piles of cheap crap are just prototypes the real models will not have wings or ears and will have different faces and outfits http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/equestria-girls-dolls-appear.html

Well I should've read that before hand. Still, seeing the designs of these prototypes, I got a bad feeling about the official, finalized versions........

Edited by Mr. Jaguar

"Hey look, it's those new Monster High dolls. Oh wait."

Yeah, well, that's it, exactly img-1504393-1-tongue.png Why do you think Hasbro is catering to this? Why do you think they look -exactly- like Monster High Dolls? Because that's the precise toyline Hasbro is marketing to compete against. Monster High is made by Mattel, one of the other rival toy companies. How do you compete with competitors? You either make something else that sells just as well or better, or you make something similar, that sells better, due to leverage you have. MLP ponies turned human in a high school setting > Some stupid monsters turned human in a high school setting.

You can hate the designs all you want, I won't say I particularly care for them either, but, once again, people need to be reminded that we're not, never were and never will be the target audience, and thusly Hasbro -has- to do something with the girly stereotypes in order to compete with toys sometimes, since that's what other companies still do for little girls. I get that Lauren is upset over Hasbro deciding to go with those girly stereotypes, but, by that same taken, at least Hasbro had the decency and effort to make a blatant spin-off we bronies can and should ignore (assuming we don't find at least the animated movie good), instead of forcing the main series into these competitive stereotypes.

Note: I've merged 'Lauren.exe' with 'Equestria Girls Toys [prototypes]', as the former is just an update reaction from Lauren about the same subject.

• Brohoof 3

These are what the franchise is being eviscerated for? They look utterly generic. And the cutie-mark-on-face is back. Why is Hasbro so eager to try and grab a few crumbs away from Barbie and Bratz when they've got a virtual monopoly on a toy type all their own? My bafflement with all things EG continues.

People can say what they like about the Monster High dolls, but at least they had 'personality' to them. These look like those cheap 'knock off' Bratz dolls that I use to see at the dollar store bargain bin as a kid. If Hasbro wanted to seriously wanted to play with the big girls like Monster High, Barbie and even Bratz, then they really needed to step up their A game. 

• Brohoof 1

Is it me, or do they look like Demons?

My little Demon, Equestria Hells.

That's it, I'm officially through with EQG. If it comes out on Netflix I might someday watch it but I'm not holding my breath

Is it me, or do they look like Demons?

My little Demon, Equestria Hells.

That's it, I'm officially through with EQG. If it comes out on Netflix I might someday watch it but I'm not holding my breath

Don't judge a show based on it's toy line! Heck I mean, some of the ponies are still pretty bad if you look at them from an outside perspective, but we love 'em all the same. I think it's hilarious when people around here are so quick to judge, when that's the thing we've been tryign to tell other people to stop doing for ages to watch pones.

Not too keen on the look of the toys myself, I only buy the little ponies because they're cute and they fit on my desk, but I hope they release miniatures or just smaller versions.

(edited)

Yeah, well, that's it, exactly img-1504393-1-tongue.png Why do you think Hasbro is catering to this? Why do you think they look -exactly- like Monster High Dolls? Because that's the precise toyline Hasbro is marketing to compete against. Monster High is made by Mattel, one of the other rival toy companies. How do you compete with competitors? You either make something else that sells just as well or better, or you make something similar, that sells better, due to leverage you have. MLP ponies turned human in a high school setting > Some stupid monsters turned human in a high school setting.

You can hate the designs all you want, I won't say I particularly care for them either, but, once again, people need to be reminded that we're not, never were and never will be the target audience, and thusly Hasbro -has- to do something with the girly stereotypes in order to compete with toys sometimes, since that's what other companies still do for little girls. I get that Lauren is upset over Hasbro deciding to go with those girly stereotypes, but, by that same taken, at least Hasbro had the decency and effort to make a blatant spin-off we bronies can and should ignore (assuming we don't find at least the animated movie good), instead of forcing the main series into these competitive stereotypes.

Note: I've merged 'Lauren.exe' with 'Equestria Girls Toys [prototypes]', as the former is just an update reaction from Lauren about the same subject.

Ya, but the monster high dolls are actually GOOD as well as accurate:

monsterhigh.jpg

Monster_High_dolls.jpg

Seriously, I know the EQG dolls are just the prototypes, but if they're any indication on how the finalized versions will look, than they got NOTHING on monster high dolls, IMO. I really don't see hasbro winning against mattel here.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry for having opinions sad.png By the way, there are ALOT of MLP videos and games floating around the internet without permission. Also, I'm curious, when did Derpy get back in? I heard she is confirmed removed for S4.

Derpy appeared in the season 3 finale and 2 other season 3 episodes that I cant remember, The problem with fighting is magic is they were making money from it and it was gaining to much ground to be classed as fan work anymore and had to be classed as an actual game, If they had just asked for permission Hasbro probably would have said yes like they did for Snow drop and Double Rainboom. The rest of the fan games are non profit or are just terrible flash games witch are so small they wont effect hasbro at all. 

Interesting that the prototype dolls look like the second set of character designs that were floating around, and not like the characters in the actual trailer which look like the first set of character art. Animal ears, cutie-marks on the faces, etc.

This seems to indicate that Hasbro and DHX have a significant disconnect on the character designs. We'll have to see if Hasbro forced DHX to conform to the doll designs when the movie actually comes out, or whether they've allowed DHX to have creative freedom on this. Of course, technically this has all happened already, unless they delay the release of the movie to re-animate it. But it's still interesting to see Hasbro allowing such a disconnect to go public.

Really couldn't resist sharing this one. Always nice to put a humorous spin on the srs business drama from time to time.

@, this is highly relevant to your interests.

img-1505997-1-hulking_out_by_pluckyninja

Laurhulk VS Lokibro

img-1505997-2-tumblr_m73c23jUhN1rr7vay.g

Puny corporate god.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
Something we can't know until they come out with the final ones, so we'll have to see :3

"Wait and see" and staying mum about it are no excuses here. When an offensive prototype is out there, you're asking for it to be judged, solicited or not. These prototypes do nothing except enforce two things:

1. That EQG is merely a promotion for a new toyline in an extremely thin, lazy disguise, only to have the MLP:FIM logo slapped on the front to make it "appear" to be related to the main product. It doesn't matter whether the characters will be in character or whether the beginning of the movie will be set in the FIM universe. The FEEL of MLP:FIM and its roots must match in the alternate dimension and be appropriate with the spinoff inside the animation and in the products. FIM's roots are about not enforcing the clichés that plague the little-girl/family-friendly entertainment industry. The pilot itself criticized this cliché by relocating Twilight into a town. Currently, EQG is conceptually enforcing the typical girly cliché that goes against what FIM stands for; a spinoff is no excuse to stray so far off the roots of the generation.
  2. The sexist stereotype that adolescent girls (the target between ten to fourteen years old) need to be extremely skinny and girly to be good, well-mannered, and beautiful. A major problem in the toy industry is how girly characters are "princess-ified" or sexualized to sell toys and dolls. Monster High — EQG's competitor — blatantly uses sex appeal to sell to adolescents. Recently, Disney redesigned Merida with an evident hourglass body, finer hair, exposed shoulders, and makeup, sparking fierce criticism from people of all ages, including Faust and Brendan Chapman. These prototypes of EQG use these sexist figures to sell to young adults, and that's disgusting! It sells out for the target demographic by making the prototypes all lazily uniform, artificially pretty, and so anorexic.

The fact that these designs exist at any point should elicit anger, and just because it's a prototype doesn't mean it doesn't deserve justified scrutiny. Prototypes or otherwise, the anti-feminist, sexist figure these dolls share reinforces a scary culture that merely hurts our youth and instills this awful stereotype. The anger throughout these branches in the fandom (including 4chan and Faust herself) is loud and justifiable.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Really couldn't resist sharing this one. Always nice to put a humorous spin on the srs business drama from time to time.

@, this is highly relevant to your interests.

img-1505997-1-hulking_out_by_pluckyninja

Laurhulk VS Lokibro

img-1505997-2-tumblr_m73c23jUhN1rr7vay.g

Puny corporate god.

Loki masterminding Equestria Girls makes so much sense.

I'm still going to try and see the film, but if I am truly offended by it, I'll make certain to walk out of the theater and murmur, "Well, this all looks horrible."

Then I'll see the toys and realize I've seen worse (than EQG).

• Brohoof 1

I think it's fair to point out that they are, at this stage, merely prototypes. The finished product will probably look much better; Hasbro representatives have already said that the faces in particular will be vastly different to what we see here.

That said, I still don't like them, and I am certainly not going to go out of my way to buy them.

I don't like the looks of those toys, but they're really about average for dolls now-a-days. If they match the quality that most modern doll production has, the construction quality isn't going to be very good either, unfortunately.

The hair on the Twilight doll looks weird for some reason, and there's something about the AJ doll that's disturbing but I can't put a finger on it. 

Ummmm.... maybe. Those things are kind of weird looking, dontcha think?

Well, if they gave them bigger eyes and made them more realistic, maybe.

If not... I don't know

I don't like them and I'm not going to buy them. Buying ponies is one thing but buying this is another. The thing is I just don't like how they look, but still it seems like they will be good quality. I'm not sure about this, even if the movie will turn out great I will probably not buy them.

Also, if they will look better, the finished product I'm still not sure about buying them. I think I will just stay away from it, I'll watch the movie and that's it. Although I did say the same about MLP: FiM, then only few weeks later.. ;)

I won't buy them, sorry hasbro..

Just follow Tara Strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrNdDr4y7k

they dont look accurate to the trailer at all and most of them look like zombies or bratz dolls. Dammit hasbro. however i am looking forward to seeing equestria girls. The question is how will i watch it? i live in the uk

They don't really look show-accurate. The parts are all in the center, Rainbow Dash just looks wrong, and they all look like Bratz dolls, to me. And the clothes are wrong too. Overall, nahh, they just don't look right.

• 3 months later...

I think the dolls are cute, not creepy. I own Sunset Shimmer. But I really want them to make...

A Demon Sunset Shimmer doll. I bet she'd be part of WalMart's Through the Mirror collection, because it seems like each store has an exclusive EQG doll. Toys R Us (who would usually release villain toys) has Vice Principal Luna and the cheerleaders and Target has a Deluxe Pinkie Pie doll in the Pinkie Pie's Boutique line. So it'd be reasonable to predict that Sunset Shimmer's demon form would be a WalMart exclusive. Bonus points for humor if she talks, doesn't sound like Rebecca Shoichet (which is likely to happen), and says these phrases:

• "Spoiler alert, I was bluffing when I said my hair was messy, it's beautiful!"
  • "What outfit should I wear to the Fall Formal?"
  • "My sun barrettes look cute!"
  • "Let's party at Canterlot High!"

Edited by SunsetShimmerFan
  • Brohoof 3