Does Rarity's characterization influence your opinion negatively?

Tenor Clef

What do you think  

231 users have voted

1. 1. what do you think of Rarity

• Awesome pony! love her!
    • She is a great character
    • Yeah she is a good pony
    • Do not care...
    • not a fan
    • Ugh, not that pony
    • Lets discuss a different pony.

I think Rarity is awesome. But I have seen a couple people who really dont like her. And, Sure in a couple episodes she is not very considerate like Sonic Rainboom, But I still thought she was awesome, she would be my third favorite out of the main six. Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinky Pie, Twilight Sparkle. Twilight may be my least favorite but she is still Awesometastic ^_^

Something something something something

Ask me stuff...and all my OC's

I don't hate Rarity. I don't care for her that much. There's a difference. She is my least favorite of the mane 6 because I do not find such a personality relatable. While Rarity is plausable for being the only one for knowing what a good dress is, and designing them for free, outside of that, she can be a real snob and prevents me from appreciating her good qualities a little more.

Another point is that I noticed she's the only pony who gets kidnapped in the show. Twice. I don't like those kind of characters. While she can kick some butt when needed, Rarity still comes off to be as the physically weakest of the 6.

I love Rarity, shes so cool usally i hate charctures like Rarity, mainly because charctures like Rarity are usally the stuck up usally mean, but not Rarity, shes one of the few fashionista chactures who isn't stuck up and mean, Rarity is one of my favs maby people don't like her because they think she'd be just like other fashionista charctures stuck up and mean. but Rarity is the lest popular charcter i totally think she should be more popular, along with Fluttershy and PinkiePie she's my fav out of the main six. :)

I <3 :D

• 8 months later...
(edited)

I'll admit, I'm an unabashed Rarity fan here, and I could go on and on about how she's Best Pony.  but looking at the "Least favorite of the Mane Six" poll, she's pretty clearly the top vote getter.  Now I understand that she's a rather flawed pony (to me, that's part of what makes her a good character) but so are some of the others, and she's at the top here, and I'm kind of curious as to why. 

I have my own ideas, but I'd like to hear from others.  Any thoughts?

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 4

img-1630605-3-sig_for_hawkflame_by_maggi

Sig by Thunderstorm

Check out my Rarity fansite!

People think that Rarity is the least likable of the Mane Six because, of how she treats her friends or how she acts. But, like you said she is a pony with flaws and that is what makes her a good character. Overall, I think she is a good character but not the best though.

Rarity is probably most disliked for the most part because that one pony shines above all. The funny, cute, fluffy pink pony called Pinkie PIe.

chibi_pinkie_pie_icon_by_angelishi-d6679

• Brohoof 4

I actually think it boils down to the fact that most bronies are male and to most males, and Rarity is the least relatable for most males. All the make up and dresses and such are not particularly masculine :P

I love Rarity, so I'm not really sure.

• Brohoof 3

Signature now 99% less edgy!

^wise words right there!

And, might I add that Rarity just appears (to me) to see herself as on top of things. That is more my view, but it makes me like her a bit less, and I agree that Pinkie Pie should be our new lord, president and ruler, the party will last foreveeeer!

• Brohoof 2

securedownload1_by_ofpastelcolours-d6rmbnx.jpg

Signature made by the amazing ~Harmonic Dreams~

I always pictured you as a cross between Demoman and Pinkie Pie for some reason.

Meh, because she is flawed. We've seen multiple cases of each of the other ponies displaying their attributes and elements somewhat frequently. 

I myself still love her to death, but she needs to continue to work on her generosity skills.

• Brohoof 1

62G8mVr.gif

Proud member of the Code3 Bronies! Signature thanks to Doc Volt.

I personally like Rarity because she's hilarious and over dramatic. I think a lot of people don't like her because she can be conceited like when she became jealous of fluttershy's modeling. She also tried to skip out on twilights birthday by lying about opal being sick so she could hang out with Fancy Pants.

• Brohoof 2

null_zps360f67c4.png

(edited)

I'd guess it's probably because she's seen as a more "traditional" type of girl who's obsessed with fashion and whatnot, and people are tired of seeing that...or something? I don't know. I quite like her, myself...if anything, the whole fashionista bit seems cool to me because I'm an artist, and dressmaking is just as much an art as anything else. Just because she's not a total rough-and-tumble tomboy like Rainbow Dash or Applejack doesn't mean she's not a progressive female character; time and again it's been shown that she's quite the capable and independent pony, very much in spite of her ladylike demeanor.

I could see how some might dislike her actual personality...very melodramatic at times, sure. But for me, depending on the girl's underlying temperament, this can either be a very attractive personality or a very unattractive one. If Rarity were more of a clingy, overly-dependent weakling by nature, then her personality would irritate the shit out of me. But as she is now, I find her delightful. Very classy. img-1533137-1-biggrin.png

Edited by Lowline
  • Brohoof 5

Agreed with Evilshy. People like characters they can relate to. Rarity is far from a bad character. She's simply the least relatable one. She's a dressmaker, a businessmare, an older sister, and concerned with status. That doesn't really sound like the average brony. 

• Brohoof 1

I happen to be a Rarity fan, but I would guess that it has to do with her personality. 

She acts like the stereotypical snob from time to time. 

Maybe, it's just because she isn't that relatable or how she's so girly. 

I honestly like Rainbow Dash the least.

DZf4iNK.png

matching setups with my bff pathfinder

Rarity is the least liked because she is the least relatable to most of the fandom (majority male).

I can't speak for everyone, because she's my favorite, but I guess most people wouldn't like her as much because she's the fashion queen. I think it makes her totes adorable though. wub.png

sig-15615.Ui65By7.png

Rarity is the least liked? Who is hating on the best pony? Tell me so that I may kill them painfully!

Honestly I have no idea why everybody hates Rarity so much, but it is probably Fluttershy's fault.

22d5c314-72de-42b0-842a-46e4dcf5ea37.jpg

Your very own Victorian-styling, airship-flying, super-sizing, brass-lining, quick-drying, detoxifying, low-pricing, newbie-knifing, over-driving, sometimes-hiding, unsurprising, ninja-fighting, perfect-timing, always-smiling, never-lying, best at writing, also rhyming automaton!

It's because people suck. I love Rarity, she's my second favorite of the main six just behind Rainbow Dash. People give both ponies too much shit :(

I'll echo the idea that Rarity is probably the least likely pony the male demographic would relate to. And since males are a majority in the fandom, it shows. Honestly, I love Rarity; she's one of the best characters on the show. 

DFTBA.

I thought Applejack took the cake for this title...

Anyways, basically the maleness part. 70% (at least) is made of males in the fandom, and even though Rarity may wear make-up, and make dresses, she's really not that girly. She stands up to enormous fiends, like the diamond dogs, and Spike full grown. Bronies just don't see that cool dare-devil tomboy side of her too. 

1.jpg

• Brohoof 3

Agreed with Evilshy. People like characters they can relate to. Rarity is far from a bad character. She's simply the least relatable one. She's a dressmaker, a businessmare, an older sister, and concerned with status. That doesn't really sound like the average brony. 

I see where you're coming from, and that's part of my own idea of why she's not as popular as the others.  But to me, she's first and foremost an artist.  She just happens to use a mannequin as her canvas and fabric as her paint. And with the huge artist community in the fandom, one would think she might be more popular.  And of course not even mentioning anyone who makes their own cosplay...

I wonder what Brony fan artists (or anyone who's ever had to do commissions) thinks of "Suited For Success"...

• Brohoof 3

img-1630605-3-sig_for_hawkflame_by_maggi

Sig by Thunderstorm

Check out my Rarity fansite!

(edited)

Hello!

I wouldn't say that she's the least liked of the mane six myself... I like her, personally... It's a little cruel to be honest, to give a pony such status, as mostly all ponies are loved and liked... Plus, Rarity is one beautiful pony! :D

Edited by Concord

post-3479-0-21158300-1361549423.png

Thank you MatrixChicken for the Signature!

I see where you're coming from, and that's part of my own idea of why she's not as popular as the others.  But to me, she's first and foremost an artist.  She just happens to use a mannequin as her canvas and fabric as her paint. And with the huge artist community in the fandom, one would think she might be more popular.  And of course not even mentioning anyone who makes their own cosplay...

I wonder what Brony fan artists (or anyone who's ever had to do commissions) thinks of "Suited For Success"...

That's certainly true. However, I feel that a more complex personality trait such as creativity is more difficult to relate to than a more simple trait such nerdiness, shyness, stubbornness, pride, or hyperactivity. I also get the feeling that Rarity's appeal to artists is significantly weaker than, say, Fluttershy's appeal to shy people, considering that the latter category is probably more widespread than the former. 

• Brohoof 1

rarity is disliked to many for her often going against her element in the show however i love her to bits shes quirky,complex and eccentric. i myself am a seamstress and art of the dress is sung when sewing no matter what now XD and in the comics shes barrels of fun, come on nightmare rarity is amazing. in my opinion applejack is hands down worst she has no room for character development and in her 'crazy' episode she was just stubborn and it was nowhere near as halerious as cat lady rarity XD or as good as pinkamina,evil fluttershy,the terrified rainbow dash, and the lesson zero twilight.

overall applejack should have that honor, not fare lady rarity

15.jpg

I'm a big rarity fan next to the next brony, but the answer is pretty simple.

You see, I'm guessing this all started since the series began, she was at first, the stereotype diva pony, which later she became more whiny and demanding in the first season. Not many people liked her, even me, however, during season 2, the writers upgraded her personality and decisions for her to be more acceptable to everybody, as well as giving her more character development to work on, such as putting her friends and sister first instead of herself. which worked, and now she's my favorite of the mane 6!

Overall, I'm pretty sure this is it, either that, or it's because no one really likes the smart, sophisticated, and naturally beautiful type girls, like me. 

That's certainly true. However, I feel that a more complex personality trait such as creativity is more difficult to relate to than a more simple trait such nerdiness, shyness, stubbornness, pride, or hyperactivity. I also get the feeling that Rarity's appeal to artists is significantly weaker than, say, Fluttershy's appeal to shy people, considering that the latter category is probably more widespread than the former. 

Making great points, as always :) While I agree with these, I personally found lack of interest in Rarity because, quite frankly, many of her fans got on my nerves; some still do. In my experience, Rarity fans can be very opinionated and blunt, and, being a Dash fan made this even worse, seeing as how Dash and Rarity fans seem to hate each others' favorite ponies. I realized this misplaced dislike wasn't healthy however :3 Rarity can be fabulous even if a lot of her fans aren't quite so. She's since become fifth best pony on my list, beating out Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 4

fSnYzne.png